Time to post my bowl card so far

\

I posted these at UOW, so thought I would put in here too. As you can see, the USC game is the one where I basically just chased a PR number. I haven't fully capped it. So I am not married to it just yet. I suppose there is a decent chance a certain QB not named JT protects his nfl stock and doesn't play, or doesn't risk running as much if he does, which could be bad.

0/0/usc 7 (not fully capped-had to play pr)

Last I heard Darnold was leaning towards returning to SC. Regardless you'd think a solid bowl showing vs a big time opponent would help his draft stock since his play this year raises a lot of question marks. I expect both teams to take this game seriously.

Does '0/0' mean you have this game lined as pk?

Last I heard Darnold was leaning towards returning to SC. Regardless you'd think a solid bowl showing vs a big time opponent would help his draft stock since his play this year raises a lot of question marks. I expect both teams to take this game seriously.

Does '0/0' mean you have this game lined as pk?
It means I haven't fully capped the game. I played it right away on PR and will revisit. Would be hard for me to ever like Ohio State in the game at a TD but I could talk myself off of USC later.

why over? just out of principle with cmu and their ability to score and give up pts with the yardage not justifying it?

why over? just out of principle with cmu and their ability to score and give up pts with the yardage not justifying it?

I think Wyoming likely rewards the QB with pass plays. He brought a lot of attention to the program. And I think the Central Michigan pass defense numbers (and defensive numbers in general) are grotesquely skewed by midweek games and games played in bad weather, particularly the Western Michigan and Toledo games where it was very difficult to throw in pouring rain. So I think if Wyoming throws, they can do so with success. And I think this increases the pace for the game on multiple levels. If they cannot pass with success then it turns into a typical Wyoming or Cmich grinder and the total is in trouble. I would also say that I think the CMich weather games and the Wyoming option games make their pace numbers look slower than they might otherwise be. Don't get me wrong, this won't be one of those super fast paced games or anything but when looking at mid-forties I think the weather factors (wyoming also had a bad weather game csu) and opponents should be factored in as to whether this one can reach. And I suppose the venue could easily be bad weather again. But just as I see the game playing out, i think Wyoming throws a lot and has some decent success doing so, and I think that loosens up the Cmich play calling.

I suppose it could be a 20-7 Wyoming win type game but Cmich has shown the ability to compete and score when down.

Hoping Michigan keeps dropping but definitely eyeing them for the bowl.

As I capped that game it became clear that South Carolina success is directly related to how well they can run the ball. I see no way they are going to run successfully on Michigan. I also think Michigan has more upside from the bowl practices and I think it is important for Michigan to get some offensive excitement heading into the offseason given the woes this year ... so maybe, just maybe .. finally, just maybe, they pull the reins off the offense a little. Think the practices help the qb as well. Thought Michigan was right there with Wisconsin but let opportunities slip away against wisconsin (the punt return allowed first half was a fluke, i thought refs blew a call on a mich td and they fumbled inside the 5 either the next play or two plays later and it was a 4 pt game when pieters went out in the third) and competed just fine with ohio state. In any event, outside of Michigan mistakes, I don't see how south carolina scores. Last few times harbaugh has played SEC he has woodshedded them too.

Team gonna have to hear about the south carolina win vs them in the last outback bowl too which could help get them motivated for an opponent they cannot be too excited about.

No doubt south carolina will be motivated, I just don't think it is going to matter

Hoping Michigan keeps dropping but definitely eyeing them for the bowl.

As I capped that game it became clear that South Carolina success is directly related to how well they can run the ball. I see no way they are going to run successfully on Michigan. I also think Michigan has more upside from the bowl practices and I think it is important for Michigan to get some offensive excitement heading into the offseason given the woes this year ... so maybe, just maybe .. finally, just maybe, they pull the reins off the offense a little. Think the practices help the qb as well. Thought Michigan was right there with Wisconsin but let opportunities slip away against wisconsin (the punt return allowed first half was a fluke, i thought refs blew a call on a mich td and they fumbled inside the 5 either the next play or two plays later and it was a 4 pt game when pieters went out in the third) and competed just fine with ohio state. In any event, outside of Michigan mistakes, I don't see how south carolina scores. Last few times harbaugh has played SEC he has woodshedded them too.

Team gonna have to hear about the south carolina win vs them in the last outback bowl too which could help get them motivated for an opponent they cannot be too excited about.

No doubt south carolina will be motivated, I just don't think it is going to matter
I tend to agree with this sentiment. I took the 8.5 just playing the number knowing it was going to drop but I was also considering buying back at 7 if it go to that point. The only thing I could see changing for SC is how the game is called from McClendon as OC for the bowl game. There was offhanded talk that he may be considered for the job, which I do not think is on the table no matter his performance, but maybe he spices things up from what Roper was running. Other than that I would agree that SC should struggle to move the ball, and even with that being considered will probably not move the ball well.

Really nice weekend, vk. Looks like you're seeing things very well.

Got a little bit lucky in the Kennesaw Game I think but things went well this weekend.

I like bowl season and the first two weeks of the regular season. Those are my two favorite times for cfb.

Hopefully this year I get to travel early enough I don't miss the championship game.

Congratulations on those fcs plays,vk.:shake:

This first set of games look terribly unattractive to me. I look at Ark St and MTSU . I quickly note that a better ASU team lost pretty big to LT from the same conference two years ago. So then I look at MTSU and say to myself “ Who have they beaten”? But then I look at ASU and ask the same question. Hard to pick a side, so I guess I’ll coattail your o/u number unless it’s no longer available. I find the same problem with CSU, and decide to take Marshall so I have to ask “ Why Colorado State”? And then what does the coaching change do with Oregon? I wonder can’t Boise cover that number ?
I have followed Troy pretty closely this year, and see a team full of surprises. Beat LS U and then who did they lose to ?
I forget. I see muted confidence in your pick, teasing 6 and needing Utah to complete the parlay for you.

Western Kentucky and Georgia St ?? Where do I begin on this one ?

Any vk words of wisdom would be welcome.

Congratulations on those fcs plays,vk.:shake:

This first set of games look terribly unattractive to me. I look at Ark St and MTSU . I quickly note that a better ASU team lost pretty big to LT from the same conference two years ago. So then I look at MTSU and say to myself “ Who have they beaten”? But then I look at ASU and ask the same question. Hard to pick a side, so I guess I’ll coattail your o/u number unless it’s no longer available. I find the same problem with CSU, and decide to take Marshall so I have to ask “ Why Colorado State”? And then what does the coaching change do with Oregon? I wonder can’t Boise cover that number ?
I have followed Troy pretty closely this year, and see a team full of surprises. Beat LS U and then who did they lose to ?
I forget. I see muted confidence in your pick, teasing 6 and needing Utah to complete the parlay for you.

Western Kentucky and Georgia St ?? Where do I begin on this one ?

Any vk words of wisdom would be welcome.

I have actually grown more fond of Troy since the time I made the teaser. The reason I liked the teaser option originally was also because I really did like Troy to begin with as well but I am sort of biased against taking a favorite to the under. It's by far my least favorite side and total combination, and I think at one point in time math backed that up as the worst of the four combos, though I have not revisited in quite a long time. I have already made an extensive write up on that game but it is on the other laptop and I am in Fort Smith Arkansas right now. So I will have a lot to say about that game for you before kickoff. Suffice it to say, I think UNT is a rare case where the missing RB really hurts them.

With MTSU, I think it is important to look at their games since Stockstill returned... 30, 35, 24, and 41 in regulation since he came back and their best offensive performance came in the final game of the year. I think they are one of the easiest teams to determine full motivation for of bowl season too. Moreover, in games he started, he averaged 34 pass attempts per game. So I think we get a lot of MTSU passing and they can be good enough to move it on Ark State and I think Ark State offense will be focused on finishing drives after racking up 600 on a pretty decent troy defense in defeat because of failure to finish. So I truly like the over there. I think that game has a high volatility when it comes to final winner but I cannot envision too many scenarios where it is low scoring, assuming normal weather.

As for the coaching change for Oregon, it was actually an impetus for going ahead to pull that trigger for me. The players begged for him to be coach and he got it ... you better be inspired to win for him. This Boise team a shell of the Boise teams that have faced Oregon in recent memory (though same could be said for Oregon). With Herbert at QB, Oregon has been almost impossible to stop this year. They had a rough stretch while he was hurt but I don't see Boise being able to keep up. Sort of similar to MTSU in a way ... imo we have to look at what they are with their main man at the helm the way they will be in the bowl and sort of push those bad efforts when they were without those guys out of our head a little bit.

Sort of souring on CSU. I mean, I guess I have to keep the bet but I don’t like it very much anymore. Have a feeling it is a one score game now and that cannot be good for csu backers. 6 or 7 the right direction works.

Rams definitely lack an “it” factor to me to put away teams they should.

Earlier in the year someone I respect mentioned Marshall secondary might be a weakness and I think there might be something to it. If they load up to stop the CSU Oline, there could be opportunities for Gallup (accepted senior bowl visit and currently projected 4th to 5th round) to increase his stock.

Just seems like some negative activity off the field right now for csu and I think marshall might want it more. I just watched both of these teams and feel like when they are both playing their A game that CSU is better and it is sort of the only way for these seniors to salvage this season where they underachieved. But like I said, I watched this team not put away much lesser teams. That one has become tough, in my mind and I doubt I close with a good number on it either. Meaning, it is probably worth it to wait on that game if you do like CSU.... I think Marshall might take money. That is my least favorite play that I have made right now (USC possibly could be after I finally get it fully capped but I doubt it).

really like the mtsu over. weather should be perfect.
Agree think there should be a shit ton of plays run in that one. Arky St. runs 83 plays a game and as VK pointed out if you look at MTSU when Stockstill came back they are throwing 34 times a game. Arky St. pass defense very suspect and believe we could see 160 plays run in this one.

Ark St is one of the worst in the country in the red zone. So they may want to focus on finishing drives but they haven't done it all season. They require big plays to score.

There will be plenty of plays run as long as MTSU doesn't boss the game with West. This will be just the second game (ODU) was the first, where the BR's have their first choice players at running back and quarterback.

BOL vk...kill it again this bowl season.

I'm with you and others on MTSU over. That game could hit 70 easily IMUO. Also love Oregon for the same reasons you mentioned, this team will want to play hard and Boise didn't impress me all year.

One I was disappointed to see us on opposite sides of is LA Tech/SMU. LA Tech was shaping up as one of my favorite plays. I only saw them a couple times this season so maybe I'm biased by a couple of good performances. Love to hear your thoughts on that one if you have a moment.

playing devils advocate for a minute. i think the ped state defense is overrated because they don’t face decent qbs. they schedule charmin soft in the non con and the b10 has dreadful qb play. get them away from creepy valley or against a capable qb and it gets rough

usc’s 52 points last year is still their highest total in the past 38 games. darnold had 453 yards passing (his career high)

ohio state scored 39 and jt barrett had 328 yards (season best)

sparty scored 27 and lewerke had 400 yards (season 2nd best)

nebraska’s 44 points is their highest in 22 games and tanner lee had 399 yards (season 2nd best)

campbell sucks. apke isn’t a d1 player. #2 is a hitter but can’t cover. haley is the only decent one. brent pry will zone and browning should pick them apart. i’ll be on the uw tt o

37959BE900000578-0-image-m-118_1472156650819.jpg

we are...... a fucking cult

does seem like the udub offense kind of came along the last part of the season. their defense can be had though. i would think utah is pretty comparable in style to psu and they moved it throughout.

I just got hit with some major workload at the job. Won't be doing extensive writeups. I have a few partials I will share when I get home but I wouldn't expect anything great like the old days

I just got hit with some major workload at the job. Won't be doing extensive writeups. I have a few partials I will share when I get home but I wouldn't expect anything great like the old days
:angryoldman:

New Orleans Bowl

Played in Baghdad or New Orleans. I think this year is New Orleans.

Troy vs UNT

Location -- small edge Troy

I give Troy the slightest advantages for venue due to the fact that your UNT fan is going to have to fly there most likely, whereas the Troy fans are a 4.5 hour drive away. In addition to proximity, Troy home attendance is 125% or so more than UNT. So more attending fans to start with and closer proximity makes me give a slight edge to Troy. But I don't think this is a very big factor in the game.

Athletes -- small edge Troy

Some size and speed advantages for Troy across the board, perhaps most importantly at the DL, which should make things difficult for Fine who is likely the shortest QB in the nation and who was named the CUSA offensive player of the year. Yes, it is a bad conference. Talent is not a very big gap either.

Motivation-- Neutral to small edge Troy

I don't see a particular motivational edge in this game. Troy has a long winning streak on the line and Silvers is a senior, whereas Fine is a sophomore. Like most of the previous edges mentioned, I don't think this amounts to much.

Key Injuries:

North Texas RB Wilson: Arguably their best weapon. Littrell mentioned that a quick turnaround from the end of the season to the bowl would likely mean that Wilson doesn't heal in time. He is listed as out indefinitely at Don Best. I doubt he plays.
Troy: Lose some WR depth (thompson 38 catches 420 yards & Quisenberry 9 catches 96 yards), as well as CB Brown and S Weatherspoon.

Coaching-- small edge North Texas
I am a Seth Littrell fan. I think Brown is doing a nice job as well.

Special teams -- small edge North Texas

I give UNT a small edge here due to superior field goal kicking and punting. There is a considerable difference between the efficiency of the place kicking with these two teams. What keeps me from giving UNT a larger edge is the fact that Troy has 3 TDs via kickoff return and UNT has allowed 2 kickoff returns for TD. In addition, Troy has managed to block a few kicks. I cannot look past the Troy field goal kicking though and I think the UNT advantages are more likely to rear their head in the game but it would be hard to be shocked if Troy took a kickoff back to the house.

Strength of schedule-- small edge Troy

Both teams have played a ridiculously easy strength of schedule. By pure numbers, I would say that UNT has actually played the slightly tougher schedule but I am factoring in another factor in this section which is the road performances of the two teams. Troy played five bowl teams on the road this year, going 4-1 in those games, including a road win in the same state of Louisiana against the LSU Tigers. Their lone loss was at Boise where they were outplayed and lost by 11 but it was also the first game of the year. UNT conversely, struggled against road bowl team competition. Mean Green went 2-4 in those six games, losing by DD in all 4 losses, while managing a 1 point win in one of their two victories. For this reason, I think Troy is more apt to perform on the road than UNT and thus, give them a small edge for SOS even though the pure numbers show UNT has a harder one. Just to be clear on why I have this slanted in favor of Troy.

UNT Pass vs Troy Pass D : Small Edge North Texas

Troy's pass defense is very average statistically, whether you look at yards per game, yards per attempt or even opposing quarterback rating. Given their schedule, that isn't too great but you also have to factor in they led by double digits in roughly 8 of their games this year heading into halftime (possible angle incidentally). Where the Troy team has been really good is in forcing interceptions, averaging 1.25 picks per game, which is kind of a big deal given Mason Fine has thrown 13 himself this year. UNT, not surprisingly given their coaching staff, believes in spreading out the defense horizontally and throwing short to mid range passes to a wide variety of players. They rank 21st nationally in passing and despite their weak schedule, the pass defenses faced were a pretty decently mixed group of quality and horrible. Meaning, I think their pass game is fairly efficient and the 21st rankng in passing is not a product of their weak schedule. UNT despite the short passing game strategy, was still top ten in the country on pass plays greater than 40 yards. Troy, like almost everything else with their pass D, is average when it comes to defending big plays. North Texas has been sacked a lot this year but if you eliminate their championship game performance (where Fine held the ball too long, presumably because the receivers were covered - I watched every snap and he had time to throw but got sacked an ungodly number of times- ) they were actually fairly average when it comes to sacks allowed. Without digging more intensely it is hard to figure out the nature of them .. Fine scrambles a lot and holds the ball too longm sometimes because he doesn't have a window with his height but at the same time, the system is for short to intermediate quick passing which should limit sacks. So I view their pass protect as average. I do think the loss of their best offensive player (assuming he doesn't play) effects their passing game. Overall, I think UNT gets some passing yards in this game but I think we could see some continued struggles with Fine having consistency which is what is needed to drive the field in their short passing game. Incidentally, Troy has been great at getting sacks but again, they have been leading by DD at a lot of the halftimes, making that an easier proposition.

UNT rush O vs. Troy rush D-- Large Edge Troy

UNT rush offense was pretty good this year with Wilson leading the way averaging 6.5 yards a carry and 16 TD's. The problem is that he is out and the rush offense has sputtered since that happened. And the real problem here with regards to their rush offense is that they played extremely weak rush defenses. yards per carry defenses faced were ranked 31, 37, 51, 51 (played the two teams tied at 51), 70, 83, 89, 91, 104, 107, 118 (sigh). Troy is 7th in this category and with wilson out, I just don't see UNT running for any kind of consistency at all. I think Troy gave up over 4 yards per carry to one team all year, LSU. I do think there is an outside chance that the UNT coaching staff is smart enough to not waste much time trying to run the ball and I think there is a decent chance UNT is behind early again, both of which could mitigate this edge some but make no mistake, Troy should be able to make UNT one dimensional and when UNT is one dimensional, Fine takes sacks.

Troy rush O vs. UNT rush D-- neutral

I think the UNT overall rush defense for most of their games is not too bad(pretty bad). The problem is that they quite occassionally give up the really big play in the rushing game. If you saw any of the FAU game, you would think UNT is horrible (they rank 104 so the argument could be made effectively) but I don't think Troy is anywhere near the imaginative team in the running game that FAU is right now. Troy, simply put, is not a very good running team. It isn't what they do best and I don't think we see them just ram it consistently down North Texas throat in this game. I think this is especially important in terms of the total as I think Troy leads most of the game. As we hit the fourth, the combination of a not so great rush offense vs a not so great rush defense is a pretty good one for running clock in that Troy is not likely to get the big run plays that one fears for the late score but UNT is weak enough that Troy could get the necessary first down to kill the game.

Troy pass O vs. UNT pass D - Medium to Large Edge Troy

This is the big hope for over backers and the big fear for under backers. Troy has been very solid passing the ball and while they have a couple of injuries that effect depth, they aren't key enough to warrant too much fear of a big drop off. UNT conversely has a statistically average pass defense but I think it is worse than that given the fact that they gave up big yards when faced against quality passing games like FAU and SMU and that the fact that they faced a lot of really bad pass offenses (including three of the worst twelve in the nation)

Pace: Another fear for the total could be the pace. The combination of the mean green having the ability to give up big plays defensively, not having their star rb vs a solid rush D creating the temptation to over-pass in play calling, the possibility Troy rewards Silvers with passes and the possibility per the current line that UNT will be behind can make for a game where the unt faster pace outweighs the Troy pace numbers. And UNT has shown multiple times that they are not going to quit in games.

So the smilies checklist looks something like this:

Location - Troy :)
Athletes - Troy :)
Motivation - Neutral
Impact Injuries/Suspension/Sitting - Troy :)
Coaching- North Texas :)
Strength of schedule/conference -Troy :)
Special teams - North Texas :)
UNT pass O vs. Troy pass d - North Texas :)
UNT rush O vs. Troy rush D - Troy :) :) :)
Troy rush O vs. UNT rush d - Neutral
Troy pass O vs. UNT pass d -Troy :) :) or :) :) :)

The plays:
Troy/UNT Under the posted total
Troy first leg of a 6 pt teaser with Utah Utes

I think we have a situation where both teams are going to be fairly one dimensional. When they do run, I think it could potentially lead to down and distance issues. Troy defense is pretty solid and I think their Defensive line does a decent job against UNT pass protect. After last game vs FAU I look for UNT to continue to be horizontal in their attack, trying to get FIne to release ball early to avoid sacks. Without the threat of Wilson at RB, I think this will be challenging for UNT to drive the field and consistently convert third downs for scores against Troy. Troy should have more opportunities against a lesser UNT defense, though I expect them to need to pass as well. UNT more apt to give up big plays and despite what individual statistics you might want to point at, Silvers > Fine and he is a Senior. In addition, I think fine is more likely to throw the interception to either steal pts from his team or give them to Troy. In most scenarios that I see, Troy is leading but I don't have a ton of fear of the march and score from Troy rushing the football, making add-on pts less likely. I made Troy 7.5 and the total 55.5, placing the value of the game in a clear spot for myself. Most of the advantages for Troy appear to be fairly minor but their Rush defense, pass rush and advantages vs the unt secondary, should give them enough advantages to win the game by roughly the margin of the current line. I teased Troy down Wong style and took the under. Those betting late may have a superior play with the UNT team total under.

In most bowl games, it is important to cap to the straight up winner. I believe there is strong historical evidence pointing to the points not mattering as much. The dogs that cover tend to win outright. I think this is a challenging game for UNT given they shouldn't have any motivational edges (used to be in same conference) and are clearly the lesser team in my eyes, even if not grotesquely so.

Outstanding post on the North Texas - Troy game! Your time on that is much appreciated.

Like you said, spreads often do not matter in bowls, probably 7-8 times out of 10 games on average the straight up winner covers be it a fav or a dog.

Back