Thursday NBA...

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
28-21 +17.60 units 57.1%

Didn't have a good Tuesday going 0-2 after what looked like a promising first half-hour on the night..lol. Thats alright though, the ship has been righted and I feel real good where we are at right now in the season. The ship started to sink a bit there 3-4 weeks ago but its been a terrific comeback and lets try and close out 2008 in strong fashion. One play for Thursday night....

Boston -9.5 -110 4 units

Lets look at recent and future scheduling first:

Boston has been off for three full days since the nice overtime win at Indiana where they stifled the Pacers in overtime. They due have a interesting OOC matchup with New Orleans on the back end Friday as Posey gets his ring.

Washington is coming off a very impressive win against Detroit. Obviously beating Detroit isn't what it used to be but they really grinded defensively for two different big stretches and didn't put heads down after getting down 17 in the second quarter. No B2B situation and nothing significant to look forward to.

The reason I think Boston will succeed defensively:

Watching Washington a handful of times this year they are still a perimeter team. Sure, Jamison has his little array of flip-shots inside and Butler will bulldoze to hoop but against a good/great defense they will have to depend on jumpshots. If they want to hit a very high-percentage then I'll take the loss. I think they'll have to work to hard for their shots and tire in the second half. Boston is as good as it gets cutting down driving lanes. The Wizards are sans Daniels now as well to create.

Triple Revenge!:

Prolly the only time you will get to say this this season. This is a triple revenge spot for the Celtics. Last year, the "Big Three" opened up their era against the Wizards and won in convincing fashion. They shut-up Gilbert in that game. The rest of the season series went to the the Wizards. They won a home and home in middle January and then won at home in April as Boton was resting players. Either way, a championship team certainly has their eye on a situation like this. It's hard after you repeat to find motivational edges the next season. Your just waiting for the playoffs and the select few big games during the season. That being said, this is one of those spots I believe for the Celtics.

gl

there u go...coming around nicely to the Men in Green ;)

gl BAW...

i have to jump on online for Celt bets cause my local has ridiculously skewed lines towards Celts....only use him when i want to fade :)

Last edited:
Gotta throw the trade angle out there, as well. Tony Daniels has been a valuable piece to this team. I've always been a fan of his. No matter what role he's played, he's always given effort. And now the Wiz see a great contributor leave their team for a bag of marbles. Definitely an emotional blow to an already dazed and confused organization.

I don't bet anymore, but I love this play point blank. I'm assuming the only reason it's not a max-unit play is it's a heavy road fav. But other than that, this is a great spot.

Also, consider the UNDER here. Washington has a new a roster (they should be in uniform, but I dunno), and they will look to experiment with some different combos. Both teams are coming off 100+ performances (an angle I love). And you already mentioned the let-down spot with the Wiz coming off an upset win against your trouble Pistons.

no intrest in Jazz....Port 5 road games , 1 home ( tough loss)then back on road

Good spotting a situationa here. I generally like to have it be a B2B game on the second leg in all honesty. Thats where its a perfect situation and would have played Orlando the other night. It won either way. Portland may be a bit flat after a deflating loss. Just wish Utah wasn't so banged up. With the soft home line, I would lean Blazers way. I will look at this more tomorrow.

:shake:

Good luck BAR! You just love fading the Wizards and not just this season :)

Wizards are short on guards of course right now, if the new guys are out and I guess they won't play. But Celtics don't care about the revenge I guess, since they made no effort to win in April. They come off a three days rest, but this is the first in a B2B, while Wizards had rest last night and will rest tomorrow so great back door cover chance. Hornets are more interesting rivals with Garnett maybe having a little angle on Scott, that didn't see him as MVP candidate last year.
Wizards won Pistons, back door covered against the Lakers. They are playing much better right now and won 5 lines in a row, but still get little love from the public.
I'm not touching this bet, so I hope you will win, but I do think it's a tough bet.

One more small point, not a significant one, but still. Last season, the first win on the Celtics, came in a second part of B2B game and the night before, Wizards won in Atlanta after OT, so just as after a win on Pistons this season, you would have expected an emotional let down after a nice win, coming home tired to B2B against the Celtics...

no intrest in Jazz....Port 5 road games , 1 home ( tough loss)then back on road

I remember looking back at this earlier this year. Utah off a 2 or more game roadstand and returning home has been $$$$. Portland hasn't played well there lately either.

But Celtics don't care about the revenge I guess, since they made no effort to win in April.

Remember though that they had homecourt locked up for that contest and were simply playing the schedule out.

You make some interesting points though otherwise.

Yup, Boozer out.

After returning to Salt Lake City early Wednesday morning, the Jazz ruled out Carlos Boozer's return from a strained left quadriceps tendon for tonight's game against Portland at EnergySolutions Arena.
Boozer had been expected to return in one of the Jazz's three games this week. Now, the only hope for the All-Star forward to play before the team's annual pre-Christmas trip is Saturday against Orlando.

BAR, I thought you might find this story from today's Washington Post interesting.

Based on last season, the Washington Wizards have little reason to be intimidated by the Boston Celtics.

Washington won last year's season series 3-1 and the high point of the season came when the Wizards beat the Celtics in back-to-back games on Jan. 12 and 14.

The Celtics (20-2) enter tonight's game at Verizon Center on a 12-game winning streak, so they could be forgiven for taking the 4-15 Wizards lightly. But Wizards guard DeShawn Stevenson fully expects to see a highly motivated opponent.

"We were talking a lot of smack, too, especially me. So I know they're going to be coming in here ready," Stevenson said. "I know I've got a big target on my chest. Every time we played them it was a real talkative game and a real hard game, so they're going to come in feeling that they owe us something."

Stevenson said the intensity level of any game against Boston rises with the presence of Celtics star Kevin Garnett, who has assumed Alonzo Mourning's unofficial title as the most intense player in the NBA.
Upset after watching the team's reserves nearly squander a big lead against Portland recently, Garnett lit into second-year forward Glen Davis and the reserves, after which Davis cried.

"Sometimes he's talking to himself, other times he's talking to other people, but he's always talking," Stevenson said of Garnett. "Just talking. And that gets me going because I like talking, too. It's kind of scary the way he does it. He cusses at himself. . . . If ya'll could be on the court, you'd see what he says. He's kind of off."

Getting back on the BAR train for this one. Unfortunately, I missed the recent hot run.

Let's do this, dude.

J Picks mentioned this game to me a few weeks ago. I thought about it for a while and said to him that I thought 9 was a fair number. Not enough variation from that number to interest me. GL

Gotta throw the trade angle out there, as well. Tony Daniels has been a valuable piece to this team. I've always been a fan of his. No matter what role he's played, he's always given effort. And now the Wiz see a great contributor leave their team for a bag of marbles. Definitely an emotional blow to an already dazed and confused organization...

Just playing devil's advocate, but Phoenix was faced with a similar angle last night and covered the spread, and the game went over. I have actually had some success betting a team that just lost a key player to injury or trades. Seems like those teams step up for whatever reason.

I decided to pass on the NBA card tonight, though, so good luck.:cheers:

Doubt you realize this but we were 0-5 for the last 5 plays that were posted in both of our threads. Probably the #1 hurdle for me today posting this play today. :)

Crazy run you're on right now. :cheers:

Doubt you realize this but we were 0-5 for the last 5 plays that were posted in both of our threads. Probably the #1 hurdle for me today posting this play today. :)

Crazy run you're on right now. :cheers:

LOL, I thought about that other day and awhile back:36_11_6:

Back