The Winter Baseball Rumor/Signing/Trade thread

• Thread starter Thread starter signalcaller
  • Start date Start date
Bradley could have a huge year for the Cubs. Great signing for them if it happens. the LH power bat they needed. Soriano-Lee-Ramirez-Bradley. Thats one hell of a lineup

and if abreu goes elsewhere, there's another. (andy and giambi too)

didn't they not offer arbitration to any of their FA's?

mlbtraderumors reporting that scott proctor signed w/ the marlins....hopefully for his sake, joe torre doesn't follow him there too.

mlbtraderumors reporting that scott proctor signed w/ the marlins....hopefully for his sake, joe torre doesn't follow him there too.

:36_11_6:

proctologist. wherever he leaves, it's addition by subtraction.

as for arbitration...i don't know, to be honest. u r prolly right though.

giants chasing manny (4 year deal)? are angels reconsidering manny?

milton has a deal with the cubs?

andruw is done as a dodger whether for trade or for money

the sox made a contract offer to takashi saito, according to nick cafardo yesterday. terms were undisclosed. this would be a great signing for boston's bullpen, providing his elbow can hold up for the year.

Bradley could have a huge year for the Cubs. Great signing for them if it happens. the LH power bat they needed. Soriano-Lee-Ramirez-Bradley. Thats one hell of a lineup

Still not as good as Rollins-Victorino-Utley-Howard-Ibanez-Werth

Now my friends, that is one hell of a lineup

:smiley_acbe:

You're correct, Yanks declined to offer all their FAs. Didn't want to risk any of those overpaid POS ruining their offseason plans.

Poor Scott Proctor...Torre abused him in NY & LA...but the kid had the cajones to keep taking the ball.

If the Cubs sign Bradley their lineup will be STACKED...ESPN mentioned that he led the AL in OPS.

Sweet Lou & Bradley.............:box:

Nice to see the Giants signing some surly vets to replace Barry's GIANT ego...Randy Johnson is a POS (NYY beat writer said that UGLY MFer barely acknowledged his teammates while in NY) and now Manny?

Andruw Jones, biggest waste of talent this millennium?

BoSox to sign Saito (and his dead arm)? :36_11_6:

Mully :cheers:

I heard for 2 years/16 million

Good to see Tampa still trying their best to add talent...now, if they can get a new stadium they'd officially dethrone the BoSox (longterm) as the 2nd best team in the AL East.

With his new "better" diagnosis, been some rumblings about The Yanks signing Baldelli...

I just heard burrell to the rays??? Any confirmations yet?

Pat Burrell is leaving the World Series champion Philadelphia Phillies for the runner-up Tampa Bay Rays.

Burrell has agreed in principle to a two-year, $16 million contract with the Rays, sources told ESPN The Magazine's Buster Olney on Monday. The deal is pending a physical.

In Tampa Bay, the left fielder would DH. Burrell batted .250 with 33 homers with the Phillies last season.

Burrell's signing with the Rays increases the likelihood that the Oakland Athletics will be the front-runners to sign Jason Giambi.

burrell.gif

Good signing for the Rays. Thanks for the good times, Bat.

:cheers:

Good to see Tampa still trying their best to add talent...now, if they can get a new stadium they'd officially dethrone the BoSox (longterm) as the 2nd best team in the AL East.

With his new "better" diagnosis, been some rumblings about The Yanks signing Baldelli...

i remember when yanks were winning their titles in the 90's all of boston was just obsessed with beating the yankees. everything that happened whether it had to do with the rivalry or not, sox fans would find a way the incorporate the yankees in the discussion. i must say it feels nice now that the shoe is on the other foot, and your worried about where the sox stand after the rays make a 2 yr deal with a dh.

all kidding aside, i think this is a solid deal for tampa. why wouldnt philly want him back for a deal this cheap?

^ So true.

And ya nice lil DH there for the Rays

Not a typical "Rays signing" though, but with it only being 2 years its the perfect fit NOW

all kidding aside, i think this is a solid deal for tampa. why wouldnt philly want him back for a deal this cheap?

Good question...I dont know

I can only assume its because they didnt think hed agree to a deal that was only 2 years for 8 mil a pop...or they felt his fielding was too bad...i mean they took him out pretty much every game in the 7th inning

i remember when yanks were winning their titles in the 90's all of boston was just obsessed with beating the yankees. everything that happened whether it had to do with the rivalry or not, sox fans would find a way the incorporate the yankees in the discussion. i must say it feels nice now that the shoe is on the other foot, and your worried about where the sox stand after the rays make a 2 yr deal with a dh.

Great move for Tampa.
Not so obvious is the fact that Burrell is also an OBP machine which can only help in the middle of a young lineup...without the negative his OF play brings he's a +++ addition.

Can there be 3 playoff teams from the AL East?

Maybe a special, one year exemption for the 3rd place finisher...seeing as it looks like they'll be over 90 wins?

Going to be a fun year................:tiphat:

Yep...looks that way...and to think, I was certain it was Madson who was on the steroids!! (joking...sort of...)

But JC got royally fucked here...he took a legal over the counter supplement that MLB originally told him was OK that had an unlisted trace amount of something in it that triggered a positive test.

And good for JC not accepting a reduced suspension if he started it in the postseason...way to take one for the team (and thats gonna cost him about 750k) but we needed him in the postseason and he did a helluva job

a couple smoltzy tidbits from espn and boston.com...

BOSTON -- John Smoltz said Monday night that he will be a starter once he is ready to pitch for the Boston Red Sox after missing most of last season following major shoulder surgery.

Smoltz, whose signing is to be announced formally Tuesday, is the only pitcher in baseball history with 200 wins and 150 saves. He attended the Boston Celtics' 115-109 overtime win over the Toronto Raptors on Monday night and was interviewed during a break in the action.

"It's going to be [as]a starter," he said when asked how the Red Sox would use him. "They're going to make sure that I'm ready to not only pitch, but pitch strong down the stretch and into the playoffs because that's what I like to do."

Smoltz held up his new uniform -- No. 29, yielded to him by hitting coach Dave Magadan -- and pulled the 'B' cap over his head. It matched his red tie. As general manager Theo Epstein said, the Red Sox introdced a new Hall of Famer in Jim Rice yesterday, and today they introduced a future Hall of Famer.

"Words can't describe -- and I hope you don't expect me to say all the right words, because this has been an incredible week -- but I'm going to try to," Smoltz said. "What you get is a guy who loves to put on the uniform and loves to compete. I'm excited to be here. This city is surrounded by a ton of history and a ton of players and a ton of fans. I'm as determined and I'm as focused as I have ever been. ... To speak to how loyal I am, you must know, I am a Lions fan. So that speaks to my loyalty. I'm going to be pretty loyal to this uniform."

"It's a very significant day for the Red Sox," Epstein said. "To be able to add someone of this caliber and his accomplishment, and his talent most importantly, we look for him to make a huge impact on the organization."

A few quick hits from the press conference:

* The Red Sox envision Smoltz as a starter, but he will not pitch at the season's outset. He is coming off of major shoulder surgery, which the the team vetted extensively in their pursuit of Smoltz. Epstein called Smoltz "a physical freak," and said, surprisingly, that Smoltz would be capable of pitching by April, perhaps even Opening Day. But the Red Sox, foremost, signed Smoltz -- who has a 2.65 ERA in 40 postseason games, 27 of which were starts -- to pitch in October. They slowed his rehab down to ensure he will be 100 percent when he returns, the date of which has not been determined. The date will not be when Smoltz is merely able, but when he is fully prepared.

* In November, Smotlz sent a video to teams he was interested in playing for, throwing in a bullpen and chucking a football. The Red Sox were impressed, so they sent front office representative Ben Cherrington, trainer Mike Reinhold, and pitching coach John Farrell to Atlanta to watch him pitch. "Even for a guy who's been in the big leagues for 21 years," Smoltz said, "That really impressed me."

* Smoltz's contract is for one year, but he sees himself pitching for several more years. He'll turn 42 in May. "Age is just a number," Smoltz said. Smoltz will earn $5 million guaranteed with $5 million in bonuses.

* Smoltz always loved pitching in Fenway Park during interleague games, and he has never allowed an earned run there. He was always intrigued by the idea of playing here.<!--QuoteEnd-->

i find the lions dig kinda funny. this guy is a class act and i cant wait to watch him pitch for boston. hes gonna love pitching here and hopefully gets his chance to dominate a yankees lineup in october.

Smoltz has always been one of my favorite non Phillies

guy is a class act and a helluva pitcher

good pick up for the Sox

Pirates sign the big RH thumper they where looking for.....Craig Monroe

It just keeps getting worse, how can this continue..thankfully i have the steelers

sox front office does it again.

lock up kevin youkilis for 4 years 40 mill. with option 5th year.

very well done.

Dont take this as a slight to the RSox fron office but have to think they lucked out in the Ortiz and Youk situations. Ortiz signed two contracts that were cheap at the time and Youk alot of things just worked out perfectly timing wise I guess . Not to compare but every FA whether resigning or from a different team has literally held the Yanks over the HOT STOVE .

Love the Saito signing , Penny signing and for 1 year at 5 million cant argue with the Smoltz deal . I dont expect much from him but still its John Smoltz . They have done very well IMO ...

No one laughing at the ATL signings ? Lowe 60 million at almsot 36 for 4 seasons with HUGE Home/ Away Splits since coming to the LAD ? Plus getting to the 2K career inning mark ...33 million for the 33 year old Japanese arm ?

Injury past or not but AJ Burnett 's deal vs the Lowe deal would actually almost and remember almost mean AJ feels like a steal ...Lowe also goes from the weakest to perhaps the strongest division ...

Dont take this as a slight to the RSox fron office but have to think they lucked out in the Ortiz and Youk situations. Ortiz signed two contracts that were cheap at the time and Youk alot of things just worked out perfectly timing wise I guess . Not to compare but every FA whether resigning or from a different team has literally held the Yanks over the HOT STOVE .

Love the Saito signing , Penny signing and for 1 year at 5 million cant argue with the Smoltz deal . I dont expect much from him but still its John Smoltz . They have done very well IMO ...

No one laughing at the ATL signings ? Lowe 60 million at almsot 36 for 4 seasons with HUGE Home/ Away Splits since coming to the LAD ? Plus getting to the 2K career inning mark ...33 million for the 33 year old Japanese arm ?

Injury past or not but AJ Burnett 's deal vs the Lowe deal would actually almost and remember almost mean AJ feels like a steal ...Lowe also goes from the weakest to perhaps the strongest division ...

:stretcher::stretcher::stretcher:

if the sox fo is getting lucky, i hope surely hope it continues. signing pedroia after an mvp season to a 6/40.5 deal, then youk (3 in mvp) to a 4/40 is incredible. the economy may have a little to do with it, but that fact remains that the sox are able to sell playing in boston to its players. pedroia was pumped when he signed that contract. he knows he'll have a chance to win every year and that hes set for life. how many mvps are waiting til fa to sign for as much as they can?

i agree that mostly everyone holds the yankees over the hot stove, but they have no one to blame but themselves. what do you expect when you shell out money like they do? thats why they never have good TEAMS anymore. just money driven egomaniacs that perform well on given nights. the sox were starting to get mentioned in light with the yankees spending power, but they have the smarts to walk away when tex kept demanding more money. thats something the yanks need to learn to do.

the lowe deal is another absurd contract, but the braves needed something and they know what they're getting. lowes pretty much guaranteed 14-16 wins. the guy is a horse and will at least be pitching for his money. and lets face it the nl is still the nl, so he should be fine.

mully, pitching depth is a great thing. throw enough things against the wall, and somethings bound to stick. :tiphat:

if the sox fo is getting lucky, i hope surely hope it continues. signing pedroia after an mvp season to a 6/40.5 deal, then youk (3 in mvp) to a 4/40 is incredible. the economy may have a little to do with it, but that fact remains that the sox are able to sell playing in boston to its players. pedroia was pumped when he signed that contract. he knows he'll have a chance to win every year and that hes set for life. how many mvps are waiting til fa to sign for as much as they can?

i agree that mostly everyone holds the yankees over the hot stove, but they have no one to blame but themselves. what do you expect when you shell out money like they do? thats why they never have good TEAMS anymore. just money driven egomaniacs that perform well on given nights. the sox were starting to get mentioned in light with the yankees spending power, but they have the smarts to walk away when tex kept demanding more money. thats something the yanks need to learn to do.

the lowe deal is another absurd contract, but the braves needed something and they know what they're getting. lowes pretty much guaranteed 14-16 wins. the guy is a horse and will at least be pitching for his money. and lets face it the nl is still the nl, so he should be fine.

mully, pitching depth is a great thing. throw enough things against the wall, and somethings bound to stick. :tiphat:

Dude, you must have the shortest memory in the history of humanity or be all of 15 to remark that the Yanks don't have GOOD TEAMS anymore.

So, the BoSox "walked away from Tex", huh? :36_11_6:

Pitching depth on the DL is EXCELLENT. How y'all can be excited by signing 3 players who are OLD AS HELL and/or have spent MAJOR TIME within the last year on the DL is AMAZING.

Last edited:
obviously when your spending the money the yanks are spending they're gonna contend. i figured that was given. but you think they had good team chemistry the last few years? that was the point i was trying to make. when they went on their run they had great club house guys and players that were team first guys. im not so sure thats been the case lately.

yeah the sox did walk away at the end. boras came back to the sox and if we up the offer like the yankees did then we could've had him. they walked away when the asking price was out of the range that they put on him. see thats what they do, they put a certain price on a player and pretty much stick to it. the yanks just wait til other people set the bar, then come over the top. your used to this method, right? doesnt really matter tho since his wife wanted thim to be a yankee all along anyway, awww how sweet.

who's on the dl? is burnett? smoltz was throwing lazer passes with footballs when the sox went down to watch him pitch in december. the guy was thowing 93 on the gun, and the sox were blown away by what they saw. he even said, i dont know who made up the date im gonna start. but theo's holding him out til late may/early june, so that he'll be ready for the important part of the year. also, they only signed those 3 old smo's to one year deals. what is wrong with that. absolutely nothing wrong with any of them. theres no question the sox are one of if not have the deepest pitching staffs in the mlb.

obviously when your spending the money the yanks are spending they're gonna contend. i figured that was given. but you think they had good team chemistry the last few years? that was the point i was trying to make. when they went on their run they had great club house guys and players that were team first guys. im not so sure thats been the case lately.

yeah the sox did walk away at the end. boras came back to the sox and if we up the offer like the yankees did then we could've had him. they walked away when the asking price was out of the range that they put on him. see thats what they do, they put a certain price on a player and pretty much stick to it. the yanks just wait til other people set the bar, then come over the top. your used to this method, right? doesnt really matter tho since his wife wanted thim to be a yankee all along anyway, awww how sweet.

who's on the dl? is burnett? smoltz was throwing lazer passes with footballs when the sox went down to watch him pitch in december. the guy was thowing 93 on the gun, and the sox were blown away by what they saw. he even said, i dont know who made up the date im gonna start. but theo's holding him out til late may/early june, so that he'll be ready for the important part of the year. also, they only signed those 3 old smo's to one year deals. what is wrong with that. absolutely nothing wrong with any of them. theres no question the sox are one of if not have the deepest pitching staffs in the mlb.

Damn, I just lost a long retort when I tried to post it.

To paraphrase:

In baseball, clubhouse chemistry is OVERRATED (media LOVES to play it up but talent trumps all)...for example, late 70's Yanks won as many WS rings as your beloved BoSox and HATED each other. 25 guys with HUGE egos spending 8+ months together always leads to "internal issues", no matter the team...the successful teams manage their issues well.

Damon-Jeter-Moose-Abreu-Wang-Posada-Giambi-Pettitte-Etc.-Etc.-Etc. are/were all considered consumate professionals and great teammates. So, that means you want to blame the Yanks playoff woes on ARod not being a "team first" player? :36_11_6:

Yanks playoff woes are a direct result of bad luck, injuries, and poor playoff performances at critical times...after an AMAZING run of good luck, few injuries, and GREAT playoff performances at critical times.
(These things tend to even out over 200+ games.)

Glad to see you were an INSIDER in the Tex negotiations...or perhaps you're regurgitating spoon fed Boston media BS to protect the Great Theo...who was played like a fiddle by Boras.

John Smoltz is 41 and hasn't pitched in the AL at all in his 20 year career...now he goes to baseball's toughest division...we'll see how successful he is.

The bottom line is y'all signed three pitchers who spent SERIOUS time on the DL last year and you lauded the moves...perhaps just a little homeristic?

didnt tex say that his wife basically made the decision when she said she wanted him to be a yankee all along?

john smoltz is one of the greatest post season pitchers of all time. undebatable. if he does what hes capable of we will spend 10 million for his use. you guys broke the bank on one of the worst postseason pitchers over the last few years and spend another good chunk of change on a guy whose never even been there. the bottom line is the sox arent depending on these guys. if they work out excellent, if not we have multiple pieces in place to be there in the end. the odds are in our favor. now the yankees brought in two guys to carry the front end of their rotation. they are depending on them. one being a guy who has pitched probably more innings than anyone over the last 5 years and is overweight. the other being a guy who i think has only finished two season not on the season ending dl if my memory is correct, i could be off on that one. off course there is a bit of homerism in both our sides, but i dont think you can argue the deals theo and co. have made this offseason. he signed these guys to one year deals, in a free agent year that isnt super great. this leaves the team with options in the years looking forward.

didnt tex say that his wife basically made the decision when she said she wanted him to be a yankee all along?

john smoltz is one of the greatest post season pitchers of all time. undebatable. if he does what hes capable of we will spend 10 million for his use. you guys broke the bank on one of the worst postseason pitchers over the last few years and spend another good chunk of change on a guy whose never even been there. the bottom line is the sox arent depending on these guys. if they work out excellent, if not we have multiple pieces in place to be there in the end. the odds are in our favor. now the yankees brought in two guys to carry the front end of their rotation. they are depending on them. one being a guy who has pitched probably more innings than anyone over the last 5 years and is overweight. the other being a guy who i think has only finished two season not on the season ending dl if my memory is correct, i could be off on that one. off course there is a bit of homerism in both our sides, but i dont think you can argue the deals theo and co. have made this offseason. he signed these guys to one year deals, in a free agent year that isnt super great. this leaves the team with options in the years looking forward.

Smoltz is 41...coming off a SERIOUS injury...has never pitched in the AL...hasn't pitched in the playoffs in 3+ years AND on top of that, has only pitched 25 1/3 playoff innings in the last EIGHT years.

You sound like y'all signed a 31 year old John Smoltz.......HOMER.

Y'all got played by Boras...end of story. But keep defending your precious Theo for NOT IMPROVING your team this offseason.

Looks to me like your pitching staff (save signing three old/injured players) is EXACTLY the same as the one that failed you last year.

No retort on your vacuous take that the Yanks recent playoff woes are based on signing too few "team first" players? :36_11_6:

CC ever had an injury issue? CC's weight means ZERO...MFer has arguably been one of the BEST regular season SP over the last 4 years...and he's 27. CC has pitched all of 39 2/3 playoff innings...he'll match that this year...then we'll judge.

Not sure where you're getting you info from but Burnett is being counted on as a #3 this year (solely because Joba can only throw 150 innings, or so) and a #4 next year and going forward. Not exactly what I'd label a front end of their rotation SP.

Check out Wang's stats...MFer is 1B to CC's 1A, baby. Joba is a future 1C.

As Mully has already basically said much of what I could of said. Smoltz is 41, off serious surgery, and his glory days as a pitcher in the playoffs were happening when I was in middle school, I've since graduated college. So to cite him has 1 of the greatest post season pitchers of all time is fine if we are talking as a historian, but not not fine as a present day reference. The Saito signing is garbage too but you arn't really counting on him to do much with the backend of your bullpen as is. Yea, you didn't pay much for these guys, but you are not going to get much either imo.

As Mully already said, don't get it confused. Wang is our #2 behind CC. And its not a 1-2, its 1A-1B. Burnett is our #3a for now and Joba is our #3b. Those 4 make a damn good rotation and we got options to fill #5.

CC is fat but lets not just take his weight and call him fat. Realize this is a 6'8 man and he is athletic fat, but, he's been "fat" his whole career. If he gets hurt, its a fat man injury like a strained abdomen and he'll be out for a month, not season ending elbow injury. His arm still has a lot of miles left, despite the Brewers and Indians best efforts to run it into the ground. Also, how isn't it a little early to judge a 28yr old pitcher with 24 playoff innings as one of the worst post season pitchers over the last few years?

Sabthia's playoff career:

2001: 6ip-2er-(0-1)
2007: 15.1ip-15er(1-2)
2008: 3.2ip-5er(0-1)

Yea, he sucked against the RSox in 2007 and sucked against Phillies this yr. Big whoop. Its certainly not enough experience to judge him though.

Smoltzy

Year Round Tm Opp WLser G GS ERA W L SV CG IP H ER BB SO
+------+-----+---+---+-----+---+---+------+--+--+--+--+-----+---+---+---+---+
1991 NLCS ATL PIT W 2 2 1.76 2 0 0 1 15.1 14 3 3 15
WS ATL MIN L 2 2 1.26 0 0 0 0 14.1 13 2 1 11
1992 NLCS ATL PIT W 3 3 2.66 2 0 0 0 20.1 14 6 10 19
WS ATL TOR L 2 2 2.70 1 0 0 0 13.1 13 4 7 12
1993 NLCS ATL PHI L 1 1 0.00 0 1 0 0 6.1 8 0 5 10
1995 NLDS ATL COL W 1 1 7.94 0 0 0 0 5.2 5 5 1 6
NLCS ATL CIN W 1 1 2.57 0 0 0 0 7 7 2 2 2
WS ATL CLE W 1 1 15.43 0 0 0 0 2.1 6 4 2 4
1996 NLDS ATL LAD W 1 1 1.00 1 0 0 0 9 4 1 2 7
NLCS ATL STL W 2 2 1.20 2 0 0 0 15 12 2 3 12
WS ATL NYY L 2 2 0.64 1 1 0 0 14 6 1 8 14
1997 NLDS ATL HOU W 1 1 1.00 1 0 0 1 9 3 1 1 11
NLCS ATL FLA L 1 1 7.50 0 1 0 0 6 5 5 5 9
1998 NLDS ATL CHC W 1 1 1.17 1 0 0 0 7.2 5 1 0 6
NLCS ATL SDP L 2 2 3.95 0 0 0 0 13.2 13 6 6 13
1999 NLDS ATL HOU W 1 1 5.14 1 0 0 0 7 6 4 3 3
NLCS ATL NYM W 3 1 6.23 0 0 1 0 8.2 8 6 0 8
WS ATL NYY L 1 1 3.86 0 1 0 0 7 6 3 3 11
2001 NLDS ATL HOU W 3 0 2.25 0 0 2 0 4 3 1 0 3
NLCS ATL ARI L 2 0 0.00 0 0 0 0 3 0 0 0 1
2002 NLDS ATL SFG L 2 0 2.70 0 0 0 0 3.1 2 1 2 7
2003 NLDS ATL CHC L 2 0 6.00 1 0 1 0 3 4 2 0 1
2004 NLDS ATL HOU L 2 0 0.00 1 0 0 0 5 4 0 2 4
2005 NLDS ATL HOU L 1 1 1.29 1 0 0 7 7 1 1 5
+------+-----+---+---+-----+---+---+------+--+--+--+--+-----+---+---+---+---+
10 Lg Div Series 6-4 15 6 2.52 7 0 3 1 60.2 43 17 12 53
9 Lg Champ Series 5-4 17 13 2.83 6 2 1 1 95.1 81 30 34 89
5 World Series 1-4 8 8 2.47 2 2 0 0 51 44 14 21 52
24 Postseason Ser 12-12 40 27 2.65 15 4 4 2 207 168 61 67 194
+--------------------+-----+---+---+------+--+--+--+--+-----+---+---+---+---+

beckett
lester
dice-k
wakefield
penny
smoltz
buchholz (spot starts)
bowden (spot starts)
masterson (spot starts)

paps
masterson
okijima
delcarmen
saito
ramirez
lopez
bard (waiting in the wings)
littleton (waiting in the wings)

that looks pretty deep to me.

again, the red sox season doesnt linger on the arms of smoltz, penny, or saito. they are insurance. if you guys really think they were bad deals to make, well then i dont know what to say. to say he didnt improve the team is a little much. 95 wins is tough to impove on, but the arms he added to this team surely didnt hurt. what did you want the sox to do, sign tex to 10 years 220 million? or dunn for a shitty contract? after tex was gone there was not much left to get this year. so the sox improved the pitching staff.

beckett
lester
dice-k
wakefield
penny
smoltz
buchholz (spot starts)
bowden (spot starts)
masterson (spot starts)

paps
masterson
okijima
delcarmen
saito
ramirez
lopez
bard (waiting in the wings)
littleton (waiting in the wings)

that looks pretty deep to me.

again, the red sox season doesnt linger on the arms of smoltz, penny, or saito. they are insurance. if you guys really think they were bad deals to make, well then i dont know what to say. to say he didnt improve the team is a little much. 95 wins is tough to impove on, but the arms he added to this team surely didnt hurt. what did you want the sox to do, sign tex to 10 years 220 million? or dunn for a shitty contract? after tex was gone there was not much left to get this year. so the sox improved the pitching staff.

So, basically...as I said...y'all have the same EXACT pitching staff that failed 'ya last year (save the additions of the aged/infirmed Smoltz, Penny, & Saito), correct? :36_11_6:

So, basically...as I said...y'all have the same EXACT pitching staff that failed 'ya last year (save the additions of the aged/infirmed Smoltz, Penny, & Saito), correct? :36_11_6:

and they got ramon ramirez from kc in a trade for crisp. his numbers were pretty solid last year.

and they got ramon ramirez from kc in a trade for crisp. his numbers were pretty solid last year.

Ramirez looks like a SOLID addition to your BP (young with pretty damn good splits)......:shake:

Coco has (for some reason) always been one of my favorite players...will probably pick him up as a 4th OF in Fantasy BB now that he's assured of 500 ABs...how can you not root for someone named Coco Crisp?

Last edited:
Back