The 2008 World Series: Fightins vs. Rays

No chance, Phils are hungry as fuck. The Phillies will make the Rays earn this. It won't be an easy series for Tampa if they win.

I wish people would read post #42 before they get their panties in a wad. I was joking about TB in 4. I give a ton of credit to the Phillies. My question is this: Do you Philly backers really think your pitching is better than the Rays?

Kazmir has been up and down but pitched a gem in Game 5.
Shields has been solid all year.
Garza just pitched two great games in the ALCS.
Sonnanstine has pitched better in the playoffs.
Add to the fact that Price is a lefty that can come in and shut down the Phils. Yes he is a rookie but look at what he did last night. How can people say that this pitching staff is in or going to be way over their heads when they play Phil? Once again nobody is taking this TB team seriously. That is what I like.

Last edited:
I love the way this series is setting up, with TB/boston going to 7, and the "red hot rays" fresh in the public minds.

Whereas the phills took care of the hottest team in baseball in 5 games, have been resting and licking thier chops, so because theyre not fresh in peoples minds theyre flying in "under the radar".

Anyone who thinks TB will win this in 4 or 5 is on heroin.

dodgers didnt have the pitching 2 beat the phils the rays have more than enough pitchers

Not really, it's not a mismatch with Hamels pitching like he has. Myers has been hit or miss but more hit lately.If Moyer gets the right umpire in game 3, he will mow down a young team like the Rays.

dude wtf are you smoking Moyer is the worst in the rotation and mark my words he will not "mow" down anyone. hes a contact pitcher and will be relying heavily on his defense to make the outs.. i cant wait to fade his ass when that games comes up. hes not a power pitcher and the way TB has been hitting this is trouble for his style in my opinion.. the only thing he has goin for him is its going to be a home start for him and the phils

I wish people would read post #48 before they get their panties in a wad. I was joking about TB in 4. I give a ton of credit to the Phillies. My question is this: Do you Philly backers really think your pitching is better than the Rays?

Including bullpens which are extremely important in a seven game series , the Phillies aren't facing any serious disadvantage. We heard this in the Dodgers series. We heard it all year, the Phillies don't have enough pitching. They finished third in ERA in the NL pitching half their games at Citizens Bank Park, not a small feat. The Rays all things being equal probably do have an edge but that edge will likely be overstated in the next 48 hours by many.

Kazmir has been up and down but pitched a gem in Game 5.
Shields has been solid all year.
Garza just pitched two great games in the ALCS.
Sonnanstine has pitched better in the playoffs.
Add to the fact that Price is a lefty that can come in and shut down the Phils. Yes he is a rookie but look at what he did last night. How can people say that this pitching staff is in or going to be way over their heads when they play Phil? Once again nobody is taking this TB team seriously. That is what I like.

People are taking the Rays seriously. A number of people are saying the Rays are much more talented than the Phillies. Really? Based off of what? That's no disrespect toward the Rays but Howard, Utley, Rollins and Burrell is as good of a core as you will find in MLB. I think it's one of the most evenly matched WS we've seen in quite some time.

Thoughts in bold.

dude wtf are you smoking Moyer is the worst in the rotation and mark my words he will not "mow" down anyone. hes a contact pitcher and will be relying heavily on his defense to make the outs.. i cant wait to fade his ass when that games comes up. hes not a power pitcher and the way TB has been hitting this is trouble for his style in my opinion.. the only thing he has goin for him is its going to be a home start for him and the phils

We'll see. 16-7 3.71 ERA on the season. He's not someone to write off at all.

He's struggled in the postseason but the Dodgers match up well with Moyer. Moyer's performances probably are more ump dependant than any in baseball and he had a bad one against the Crew. The Dodgers have the old vets(Kent, Garciaparra, ManRam, Blake) who can exploit his approach.

Give Moyer a favorable umpire against a young team and it's generally not pretty. Check out what he does to a young overly aggressive team like the Marlins on a frequent basis.

The long rest does Philly no favours. Not that Colorado would've beaten Boston in the WS last season anyway, but IMO they'd have won at least 1 of the 2 close games they did play (Games 2 & 4) if it hadn't been for that long break. There's no substitute for playing hard baseball keeping you at a performance peak.

The long rest does Philly no favours. Not that Colorado would've beaten Boston in the WS last season anyway, but IMO they'd have won at least 1 of the 2 close games they did play (Games 2 & 4) if it hadn't been for that long break. There's no substitute for playing hard baseball keeping you at a performance peak.

This is pretty much the only thing Im worried about...but that being said, its not like everyone was tearing the cover off the ball...hopefully Madson and Lidge can keep doin what theyve been doing though...

it isn't going to matter how well Lidge and Madson pitch, I think the Rays will have leads going into the later in innings in most of the games

Thoughts in bold.

I should have made my comment more clear. I was referring to SP not RP. Yes I would give the nod to Philly with RP but TB has the clear edge in SP. My point is that if TB pitches the way they have pitched in the playoffs Philly has no chance. TB bullpen did well this year but they are choking a bit this postseason. Adding Price to the bullpen helps a great deal but he is still a rookie so let's see what happens. Doesn't bode well with the lineup Philly puts out there if TB bullpen struggles. Obviously you have seen your team play more and I have seen the Rays (I live in Tampa) a lot more than you have. We both have our likes/dislikes with both teams. Like I said, it should be a great series but in the end TB wins in 6 maybe even 7 based on how Phil pitching holds up. Two factors I worry about:

1. TB mentality coming into the World Series after going 7 games with the defending champs.
2. Bullpen

ringingidiots.jpg

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fe_YB0kc8b0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/Fe_YB0kc8b0&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/CTgKb2hzhnw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/CTgKb2hzhnw&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

Thats not even close...

One song is totally mindblowingly awesome funk and the other is a two morons on the side of the street

Gotta agree here. That cowbell shit is the most stupid ass thing I have ever seen. Fire the fucking marketing department or whoever thought of that.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/hsxFe-xXYa4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/hsxFe-xXYa4&color1=0xb1b1b1&color2=0xcfcfcf&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

<embed allowScriptAccess="never" src="http://www.heavy.com/ve/8391c9361a6bec0f7d465e9bda7e86ec" wmode="transparent" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" width="512" height="512"></embed><div style="margin-top:5px;margin-left:30px;"><a href="http://www.heavy.com/channel/208839">More funny videos from the "ryanparkersongs's channel" channel at Heavy.com</a></div>

Lets go Myers. Take tis bitch back to the Illadeph 2 mothr fuckin zip.......

:smiley_acbe:

Throwin' down a couple of units on Brett 'The Bat' Myers n' the Phils to win tonight at +160...

GO PHIGHTIN'S...

:tiphat:

<TABLE cellSpacing=2 cellPadding=0 width="100%" align=center border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=LeagueTitle align=left colSpan=6>MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL</TD><TD align=right colSpan=2>Lines From:10-23-2008 22:29:56</TD></TR><TR class=GameHeader><TD width="3%"></TD><TD align=left width="10%">Date</TD><TD width="5%">#</TD><TD align=left width="30%">Team</TD><TD align=right>Pitcher</TD><TD align=right>M Line</TD><TD align=right>Total</TD><TD align=right>Run Line</TD></TR><TR class=GameBanner align=middle><TD colSpan=8>MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL - Oct 25</TD></TR><TR class=TrGameOdd><TD align=left></TD><TD align=left>Oct 25</TD><TD>955</TD><TD align=left>RAYS (TB)</TD><TD align=right>M GARZA -R</TD><TD align=right>-115<INPUT type=checkbox value=4_48072_0_-115 name=text_></TD><TD align=right>o9½EV<INPUT type=checkbox value=2_48072_-9.5_100 name=text_></TD><TD align=right></TD></TR><TR class=TrGameOdd><TD align=left></TD><TD align=left>5:35 PM </TD><TD>956</TD><TD align=left>PHILLIES (PHI)</TD><TD align=right>J MOYER -L</TD><TD align=right>+105<INPUT type=checkbox value=5_48072_0_105 name=text_></TD><TD align=right>u9½-120<INPUT type=checkbox value=3_48072_9.5_-120 name=text_></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

any idea where this line gonna go b4 gametime ? will rays get to + money or the public seeing Garza being lights out over beantown make the line higher ?

Like the rays to smash Moyer regardless

Absolutely flat out pathetic effort by the Phillies tonight - mighta been the worst game theyve played all year

Jimmy Rollins is beyond awful right now. Burrells not much better. Dobbs looked lost out there. Werth was pretty much terrible as well.

The hitting with RISP is just getting absurd...its not even so much getting hits as it is not scoring guys from 3rd with less than 2 outs...cant win the series if that keeps up

All in all the first two games reminds me of the first half of the Super Bowl vs the Patriots. Eagles had their chance to stomp them in the first half, didnt, went into halftime tied and lost it in the second half...

:hang:

(this is the negative post)

Now, all that being said, the Rays have done nothing to impress me. 2 of their four runs were gifts - the second one in the first only happened b/c Werth made a stupid error (first of the year i believe) on a routine ball and the run in the 2nd should never have had a chance to score because Baldelli struck out but for some reason the umpire changed his mind and let him go to first...(also, if he doesnt blow the call in the ninth, its 1st and 3rd no one out with Utley and Howard coming up only down 2 but i digress...)

Now its not like the Phils arent hitting...theyre getting more guys on base than in either of the two previous series...they just cant get them home....I have to believe that changes...they couldnt possibly keep hitting that poorly with RISP if they tried...its almost impossible

As for game 3, I gotta think Moyer does well against this team. theyre young and aggressive - two characteristics he feasts on. This is a guy who had a 3.71 ERA this year and led the team in wins. I dont think hes just lost it all the sudden. He'll bounce back.

On the same token, Garza has no where to go but down. And this guy can and will get rattled by the Philly crowd. He came out wearing f'n EAR PLUGS in his last start!!! Hes gonna need a diaper in Philly.

Game 3 is a must win and I think the Fightins will get it done

:cheers:

(this is the positive post)

<table width="100%" align="center" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2"><tbody><tr><td class="LeagueTitle" colspan="6" align="left">MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL</td><td colspan="2" align="right">Lines From:10-23-2008 22:29:56</td></tr><tr class="GameHeader"><td width="3%">
</td><td width="10%" align="left">Date</td><td width="5%">#</td><td width="30%" align="left">Team</td><td align="right">Pitcher</td><td align="right">M Line</td><td align="right">Total</td><td align="right">Run Line</td></tr><tr class="GameBanner" align="middle"><td colspan="8">MAJOR LEAGUE BASEBALL - Oct 25</td></tr><tr class="TrGameOdd"><td align="left">
</td><td align="left">Oct 25</td><td>955</td><td align="left">RAYS (TB)</td><td align="right">M GARZA -R</td><td align="right">-115<input value="4_48072_0_-115" name="text_" type="checkbox"></td><td align="right">o9½EV<input value="2_48072_-9.5_100" name="text_" type="checkbox"></td><td align="right">
</td></tr><tr class="TrGameOdd"><td align="left">
</td><td align="left">5:35 PM </td><td>956</td><td align="left">PHILLIES (PHI)</td><td align="right">J MOYER -L</td><td align="right">+105<input value="5_48072_0_105" name="text_" type="checkbox"></td><td align="right">u9½-120<input value="3_48072_9.5_-120" name="text_" type="checkbox"></td></tr></tbody></table>

any idea where this line gonna go b4 gametime ? will rays get to + money or the public seeing Garza being lights out over beantown make the line higher ?

Like the rays to smash Moyer regardless
I think this line flip flops and Phills are favored by opening pitch

By the way...

The Phils havent lost a home game in a month

Game 4 'Weak Link' Joe Blanton has never lost a game for the Phils

The whole thing with the Baldelli at bat was just ridiculous...You cant ring someone up and then appeal down to 1st...The other thing is it clearly looked like Baldelli went around anyway...The whole game tonight was just bizarre...However, I found the Bruntlett pinch hit homerun off Price more bizarre than anything else that happened in that game:36_11_6:

The whole thing with the Baldelli at bat was just ridiculous...You cant ring someone up and then appeal down to 1st...The other thing is it clearly looked like Baldelli went around anyway...The whole game tonight was just bizarre...However, I found the Bruntlett pinch hit homerun off Price more bizarre than anything else that happened in that game:36_11_6:

yup that was a out was shocked they even appealed it :shake:

I think you are right bro. Very uninteresting 1st two games . The Utley 2 run Hr and game 1 was decided on a groundout . TB had the HR and Iwamura hit (double) now yesterday I think TB had 3 runs on ground outs and Upton's single then Brunlett PH HR and run on an error .

Its crazy what little each team has done . I dont think either team has shown anything . If I was TB I might be happier big scheme though . Hamels pitched well and they still had a chance to win . Sheilds was so-so and by the time he was lifted they had already put up 4 runs . So from a pitching standpoint at least TB can get improvement out of both of there SP and not sure Philly can . Hamels was good and Myers was so-so but tends to be what is expected ofhim on the road. Which is where he will pitch again...

I dont think Garza will be rattled because Fenway for TB is like the black hole of the earth . The had such little success there I dont think there was a tougher place for them to play and they nearly swept . Longoria is a much better hitter outdoors as well . Earplugs though are just to avoid distraction and keep your concentration nothing more . Its not about being worried about what fans are saying or doing . Helps one get some tunnel vision ...

going to be interesting but think the bats show up both ways as many chances have been squandered already ......:cheers:

I think this line flip flops and Phills are favored by opening pitch

Dont think so . Philly is the series underdog the game prices arent tough to figure .

Game 1 Philly opened -120 essentially closed a PK
Game 2 what would one expect on a series that has the home team listed -140 ? How bout -150 to even out the odds from game 1 ? No suprise it opened -150 then ....

Game 3 again TB is the series fav so they are graded higher . So even though HFA is lost the fact remains TB is viewed as better . So basically the Phillies in terms of HFA will lost that because of TB being -140 series favs. To me equal teams and equal sp see games lined at -140 for the home team. So essentially here thats why HFA is wiped out price wise.

Game 4 should be the same maybe closing a PK but really expect a -110/-110 line

Hamels will be -140 to -150 IMO .

Shields will be about -170 in Game 6

Just guessing but only trying to say the lines given TB is -140 for the series and they opened Philly -120 in game 1 are inline with that . :cheers:

Hey smokedawg, how's the local weather there? They gonna get the opening pitch on time? Or at least play today?

Back