Texas @ Texas Tech

ynnhoj316

Pretty much a regular
I know this board has a lot of Longhorns including RJ & SHSU so let's get this thing going. Gameday is going to be in Lubbock for the 1st time in history and I will be at the game for the 1st time this season. It will be a great atmosphere and there are students already camped out for the game. Seems as though Tech fans & UT fans think alike in that we both despise OU and know Aggy is like that weird uncle in your family that you don't ever want to visit. Saw an early line of Texas -5. I expect Colt to put a show on with his legs and Graham to put on a show with his arm. The last time TTU beat UT was 2002 in Lubbock. It was a 2:30 start on ABC and was a pretty long game from memory. Kingsbury to Wes Welker days. UT owns us every year, but we are slowly closing in on the talent gap. Muschamp has done a great job and hopefully he will go back to SEC country after this season. This primtime game will show that the Big 12 South has the most talented skill position players.

I have a feeling TT is going to be a very popular pick and Texas hammers them ala Oklahoma/UT in RRR, but I'm no B12 guru..I by no means have a play I am looking to lock in yet, will wait.

I think the key is UT dline vs. Tech oline. I believe Harrel has only been sacked twice all year? He gets rid of the ball so quick.

He has been sacked 3 times all year. KU got 2 in garbage time to bring the total to 3. A key matchup will be Orakpo vs. Rylan Reed. Reed handled Chris Long really well last year in the Gator Bowl. UT will need to bring linebackers and disguise blitzes in which Graham and TTU receivers will need to utilize the middle of the field. I think it will be an extremely close game with the win going to the team who has the ball last. I will be taking TTU ML just because if we don't win, we wont cover +5. Leach added some new formations into our playbook over the summer and titled them "Elf" and "Wild Crab". These formations have either Eric Morris or Crabtree at QB and the other at RB in a 2 back set. We haven't used these formations yet, probably never will, but it would be interesting to see it vs. the speed of UT's d-line.

Texas......big.
As much as an Ag hates to admit that. But they don't play with that bs offense. They line up and hit those rcvrs in the mouth, off the line. Not like KU or the Ags have done in the past....layoff, play zone , rush 3....that's horseshit. Lay 'em out at the line of scrimmage.
Harrel's a pussy, someone gets near him and he starts whining. I would have respected what he had done, until I saw him doing that chit.

Press

Line from LVSC is 5.

Press - feel free to not post in the thread. You contribute nothing, much like your Aggies.:tiphat:

Texas......big.
As much as an Ag hates to admit that. But they don't play with that bs offense. They line up and hit those rcvrs in the mouth, off the line. Not like KU or the Ags have done in the past....layoff, play zone , rush 3....that's horseshit. Lay 'em out at the line of scrimmage.
Harrel's a pussy, someone gets near him and he starts whining. I would have respected what he had done, until I saw him doing that chit.

Press

Your post confuses me...

Are you saying TT's "bs offense?" I'm not sure if you are, but if so you're clinically insane. This offense is the real deal in more ways than one. Their defense is sub par at best, but when you score every time you touch the ball that's not as big of a worry as usual.

The Harrel being a pussy comment is hilarious. This kid is a stud. You can't just throw any QB back there in an offense like this and watch them perform like him. What QB likes to get hit? None.

Anyways, very odd post...but ah well. GL with whatever way you go.

Harrell is definitely a stud, but McCoy is better.

Really curious to see what the line does throughout the week, and if the good doctor will have a play on it.

Oh McCoy is the real deal for sure. I think Colt has more around him though to work with. Not taking a thing away from Texas here...they are the real deal. If I can grab a TD (buy buying a point or whatever) I might go to town on TT.

I have been pointing to this game as the spot Texas goes down since their win vs. Oklahoma.

Several reasons.

The Texas DLine advantage is not in play as much here. Teams like Oklahoma, Missouri, Okie State, that's how you beat them shutting down the run. I am surprised BTW Okie State got over 200 on the ground. Wow Gundy might have a top 5 team.

Texas Tech simply doesn't run the ball really even when they have success with it. Totall unaffected by 50 rushing yards, very rare.

Then the Texas DLine you know can get to the passer as well and in this game that advantage will be negated largely as well. Harrell just gets it off too quick.

---The DLine is ciritical in covering up a young ineperienced back end. Now Texas Tech is going to have a even playing field for Harrell to step back and fire, TT passing vs. Texas secondary and nothing else.

----Now you count in the fact Texas is coming off 3 EMOTIONAL GAMES and this will have to be their 4th in a row. Not sure the SEC see's back to back to back to back games where if you want to win you have to bring your best effort.

A team can only get up for maximum effort a certain number of times a year and rarely in a row. Texas Tech has been waiting for this spot a long time and for Texas it's another game in a long tough grind.

-----Lastly, look at last year Oklahoma @ TT last year. Situationally I think Texas Tech is the play at home and matchup wise as well. This is a vetran TT squad and on defense I think they showed last week they could stop the pass.

I think they are both very good QBs for their own offenses. Colt has improved more IMO. He was garbage his freshman year. Shipley really makes him look even better and I am still disappointed that TTU lost out on Shipley (he's a West Texas kid). Tech run defense isn't good enough to stop the UT zone read. Once Colt & Ogbwaskljdflk (running back) get that going, it's going to allow Colt to throw it over the top of Darcel McBath.

O,
Our past teams have been very poor at running the ball. This year's squad averages over 150 yards rushing per game..

O,
Our past teams have been very poor at running the ball. This year's squad averages over 150 yards rushing per game..

I never said they were a poor rushing team. They can create some holes and are better at rushing this year no question, but I am talking about playcalling. Leach will still go away from it. It's a weapon but they don't need it. So if Texas shuts it down who cares.

Line continues to rise as 6 and 6.5 are both out there. If the line hits 7.5, may have to take a shot with Texas Tech just from a value standpoint, but not sure yet.

Your post confuses me...

Are you saying TT's "bs offense?" I'm not sure if you are, but if so you're clinically insane. This offense is the real deal in more ways than one. Their defense is sub par at best, but when you score every time you touch the ball that's not as big of a worry as usual.

The Harrel being a pussy comment is hilarious. This kid is a stud. You can't just throw any QB back there in an offense like this and watch them perform like him. What QB likes to get hit? None.

Anyways, very odd post...but ah well. GL with whatever way you go.

It would seem odd to you, watching a conference where offense appears an afterthought. Yes, it works and it's effecient. It also seems to be drawn up in the dirt, sometimes(metaphorically). Every high school runs this offense. Southlake Carroll has won state championships wiht this offense, but they also played defense. Something Tech struggles to do. Do you see it run in the pros?
I said I could give Harrell his credit, until he started whinning about getting bumped.

I think they are both very good QBs for their own offenses. Colt has improved more IMO. He was garbage his freshman year. Shipley really makes him look even better and I am still disappointed that TTU lost out on Shipley (he's a West Texas kid). Tech run defense isn't good enough to stop the UT zone read. Once Colt & Ogbwaskljdflk (running back) get that going, it's going to allow Colt to throw it over the top of Darcel McBath.

29 td's and 7 int's is garbage? Colt was a stud freshman year. If you meant sophomore year, then fine. His #'s last year were garbage b/c our offensive line was shit.

I think this will be a great game, with a lot of pts scored. If the line hits 7+, I'd lean Tech, but right now it's probably a no play for me.

Yeah, sorry meant Sophomore year. Don't get me wrong, he is a great QB.

Press - Speaking of Southlake Carroll, you should watch for 2010 DE Jackson Richards. He's a Tech commit/beast.

It would seem odd to you, watching a conference where offense appears an afterthought. Yes, it works and it's effecient. It also seems to be drawn up in the dirt, sometimes(metaphorically). Every high school runs this offense. Southlake Carroll has won state championships wiht this offense, but they also played defense. Something Tech struggles to do. Do you see it run in the pros?
I said I could give Harrell his credit, until he started whinning about getting bumped.
No, I meant the tone of your post not the content.

Harrell is a stud; not sure what all the fuss is about. Kid has done everything required of him. There are lots of niche offenses in college...that's one of the things that separates it from the nfl and makes it such a great sport. It's hardly a bs offense though in my opinion...even the top defenses often struggle with it.

texas does some similar stuff to what Nebraska does and Nebraska moved the ball up and down the field on tech 2 weeks ago. I was really surprised by tech holding KU to 21 pts. and just flat out dominating that game though. I think I'll just watch this one. Texas playing their 4th big game in a row has got to wear on them at some point. Interesting game for sure.

Crazy. At BM you could have got Texas at 3.5 when the first line came out. Line is just shooting up right now. Have no idea what to think about this game

I think ppl are saying Tech has had one great performance and aren't buying that vs. the body of work texas has.

Looks like the sharps or public or somebody on Texas moving this. Keep on going baby

Obviously KU is not as bad as they showed Saturday. I think it shows how critical turnovers can be vs. an effective spread offense. Colt is going to run circles around our defense.

Going into the season I thought Texas would lose two games. OU & TT. I also didn't think Texas was going to be this good on the DL and OL. I also thought TT would play alot better especially on defense. They've only been impressive to me in one game which was last week.

I will play the over no matter what the line comes out at. TT won't be able to stop Texas here while TT will get there points.

Key factors to look at in this game:

This is the best defense TT has faced all year. They will be shut out at times in the red zone so how reliable is the kicker they pulled out of the stands going to be?

Wiill Muschamp hasn't seen anything like this TT offense in his career. How will he game plan with such a young secondary?

Both starting corners for Texas are battling injuries. Ryan Palmer hyperextended his elbow in practice last wednesday and played with pain. Deon Beasley played quite a bit in his place and got picked on quite a bit.

Chykie Brown is the best corner on the team and another potential first round DB pick for Texas when he ends his college career. Coaches said all last week that his ankle was fine from his injury in the Mizzu game but yet he didn't play vs Okie St last week. Curtis Brown played well vs Maclin & Bryant in Chykie's place.

After that the depth chart gets thin as true freshman Aaron Williams (arguably the top player in the state last year) would be next in line and he's played well when given the opportunities.

Obviously KU is not as bad as they showed Saturday. I think it shows how critical turnovers can be vs. an effective spread offense. Colt is going to run circles around our defense.

i think that their defense is every bit as bad as they showed.

tt wins this one.

Our kicker from the stands is only being used for PATs. They're sticking with the original kicker, Donnie Carona, for FGs (as of now). IMO it's not really a big deal unless you are 30 yards out, down by 2 points and have 10 seconds left in the game. Only in that situation would I see Leach settling for the 3 instead of leaving the offense out to convert on 4th down.

Donnie Carona, the original kicker, is solely used for FGs. He's bad at those too, but not as bad as he is on PATs. He doesn't get the ball up and his kicks getting blocked are almost a guarantee everytime he is on the field. If the kick isn't blocked, it's either right or left. He is a freshman, but that isn't really an excuse. When you are on scholarship, you should be able to kick the ball. The new kicker, Matt Williams, is only used on PATs. He originally played at Tarleton State and is from Weatherford. Stats show he has kicked a 49 yard field goal at Tarleton, but I don't think Leach trusts him enough/sees no need to use him on FGs. Obviously, if it's 4th and short, we're going for it.

key for me is will GH get hit, we have been able to hit every QB we have faced. QB's do not like being hit but GH hates being touched and when he does he becomes a ginormous baby; worse than the shit Chase Daniels becomes on the sideline.

If we can get to GH and I believe we can with 4 then I see a 10-17 point win.

Another thing that hurts teams like Tech is they score very quickly; we have just beat people down on TOP this year and by the 4th QT we have been able to have opposing defenses worn down as our O has done well at keeping the ball/moving chains.

That was a nasty, physical game on Saturday in Austin. How the team responds physically, and mentally, is where the game in Lubbock is decided. It's the biggest game in the history of Tech football, and it will be up to Brown to do a helluva coaching job to have the team ready. They've been through a fucking gauntlet in October.

One thing that has been overlooked in this thread is the TT offensive line. This unit has been absolutely dominant this year. They haven't gotten the chance to go up against athletes like they will see on Saturday, but they have given Harrell all day to throw the ball. In comparison to OU which I believe that the O-line for tech is a little bit better, outside of Texas, Bradford has been sacked 3 times on 231 attempts. The Texas d-line had 3 sacks in dallas. Harrell has only been sacked 3 times in 360 attempts.

If the Longhorn front 7 can't get to Harrell he will own the youthful UT secondary.

I agree pcb, that's why we were saying Harrell has only been sacked 3x earlier in thread.

Are you saying TT's "bs offense?"

everyone knows they have a pretty dangerous offense, but what real defenses have they faced this year? the score against the Ags was a bit misleading. The Aggie offense folded in the 2nd half and lost momentum and Leach punched one in with like 15 seconds left (which i dont complain about like some other Aggies). A&M's defense is seriously one of the worst in the country and we gave Tech fits at certain points in the game. if you cant score 60+ on our D then you're in for a suprise when you face Muschamp's D...no matter where the game is played. Throw away the garbage TD at the end of the A&M game and you have 36-25. That alone is enough for me to invest in the Whorns. That being said, I am also an idiot who bet on the Whorns vs. okie st. so it may be wise to fade me.

I will just take any opportunity to post my negative thoughts concerning my pathetic and embarrassing Aggie D, the Whorns and their yellow toothed Rosco P. Coltrane looking Obama supporting head coach, and the battery throwing, tortilla hurling sand fleas from lubbock all in one thread.

This is the kind of game mike leach always loses.

he is better when he is coaching from the position of having much the best of it.

One thing that has been overlooked in this thread is the TT offensive line. This unit has been absolutely dominant this year. They haven't gotten the chance to go up against athletes like they will see on Saturday, but they have given Harrell all day to throw the ball. In comparison to OU which I believe that the O-line for tech is a little bit better, outside of Texas, Bradford has been sacked 3 times on 231 attempts. The Texas d-line had 3 sacks in dallas. Harrell has only been sacked 3 times in 360 attempts.

If the Longhorn front 7 can't get to Harrell he will own the youthful UT secondary.

C'mon. All day to throw? Harrell doesn't need or get all day to throw. He gets 3 steps and out. That, coupled with the wide splits and behemouth OL (averaging 350 or so), it neutralizes most DLs.

What Texas will have to do is show 5, but rush 4 and drop everyone else back in zone. Hopefully the 4 are fast and strong and can keep the pressure on Harrell to make mistakes. I like the fact that we play with 3 natural DEs on the line and then mix in Kindle on the edge for 4 DEs.

The big X factor in this game will be Chykie Brown. If Texas gets him back I feel a whole lot better about our D. If not, then we will have 1 or 2 2nd string DBs in there to cover receivers. Not good.

I think Texas wins and wins by about 7 in this game, but I wouldn't take either side right now.

Agree there has been pretty crazy line movement. For once, ESPN won't get off Tech's nuts. It's weird seeing your team on TV a lot all of a sudden when you never get pub. It's ridiculous how much shit ESPN makes up...

texas rolls, destiny cannot be denied. tech hasn't 2 sides of a quarter. offense from texas on all cylinders and defense that will, will it self to victory. texas won't cover at more than 6, but will win. under 6 texas rolls. tech sux ass.

Back