Super Bowl discussion

Is Sherman most likely covering D Thomas?
originally I thought so and took D Thomas under 5 receptions. Now I'm leaning that Sherman will cover the left side primarily and Thomas will line up opposite side a good bit. Unless Thomas goes off early from other side, Sherman will stay on his left defensive side. If Thomas goes off, we may see Sherman follow him. Not loving that prop bet on the under as much now fwiw.

true greatness...

[h=1]Matchups: Why Seattle Will Win[/h]Saturday, February 01, 2014

Seattle vs. Denver
Sunday 6:30PM ET

The Vegas line for Super Bowl 48 has fluctuated between two and three points in Denver's favor, which surprises me based on how these teams match up. I think Seattle has distinct personnel advantages on both sides of the ball. The Broncos' team strength is its pass offense, which the Seahawks can counter with the NFL's premier pass defense. Seattle has an answer for Denver's most dangerous element, and I'd give the Seahawks an edge in every other toe-to-toe category (SEA run offense vs. DEN run defense; DEN run offense vs. SEA run defense; SEA pass offense vs. DEN pass defense).

During the 2013 regular season, few defenses gave Denver more fits than Jacksonville's, which is run by ex-Seattle defensive coordinator Gus Bradley. Despite major talent deficiencies, Bradley's scheme held the Broncos to 14 points through one half in Week 6, and the scoreboard read 21-19 deep into the third quarter. The Jaguars blitzed Peyton Manning on just 2-of-42 dropbacks, got pressure with their front four, and played physical press coverage on the perimeter. They held Demaryius Thomas to three catches for 78 scoreless yards, Julius Thomas to a 4-22-1 line, and Eric Decker to 5-50. The Seahawks will play the Broncos in similar fashion. And they have much better players than the Jaguars.

I'm also surprised more is not being made of the banged-up state of Denver's defense. Despite recent struggles, I think Russell Wilson is capable of shredding this MASH unit, and Marshawn Lynch has a chance to run all over it. Since November, the Broncos have lost OLB/DE Von Miller (ACL), slot CB Chris Harris (ACL), LE Derek Wolfe (seizures), DT Kevin Vickerson (hip), and FS Rahim Moore (leg) to season-ending injuries. That's 5-of-11 starters. Defensive coordinator Jack Del Rio deserves credit for keeping his side of the ball competitive in the meantime, but this is not an imposing defense for running or passing opponents.

In addition to their top-ranked pass defense and top-seven run defense, the Seahawks match up favorably with the Broncos because of the way they play. Arguably Manning's greatest strength is his pre-snap dominance, dissecting defensive intentions at the line of scrimmage and identifying soft spots before attacking them, often repeatedly in the same area. But the Seahawks rarely blitz, and in terms of defensive alignment generally look the same before every snap. In other words, there won't be much for Peyton to dissect. The Seahawks essentially do the same thing every week, and every down. They line up at their usual spots, and play fast and physical.

Readers of the weekly Matchups column know Seattle LCB Richard Sherman won't shadow Demaryius Thomas on Super Bowl Sunday. Sherman plays strictly left corner and some slot in deeper sub-packages, where he'll spend most of this game taking on Z receiver Eric Decker, and Julius Thomas on a handful of downs. Rather, Demaryius will run the majority of his pass routes versus RCB Byron Maxwell, an impressively physical 6-foot, 202-pound presence who's proven an upgrade on suspended Brandon Browner since inheriting the starting job seven games ago. Per Pro Football Focus, Maxwell has allowed just 25 receptions among 53 targets (47.2%) into his coverage this season, for 313 yards (5.91 YPA) and two touchdowns. Maxwell has four picks.

Thomas (Maxwell) and Decker (Sherman) have the toughest matchups on the perimeter. Orange Julius and Wes Welker won't get easy coverage draws, either, but I think they are the two biggest keys to Denver's chances of playing chain-moving pass offense in Super Bowl 48. Expect Welker to spend most of Sunday in Seahawks slot corner Walter Thurmond III's coverage, while Julius moves around the formation and gets looks against a variety of defenders. Thomas runs better than WLB K.J. Wright and is more fluid than SS Kam Chancellor, so when they clash I expect Peyton to attempt to exploit those matchups. The Seahawks will likely counter as they always do -- by getting physical with Thomas and disrupting him at the line of scrimmage. Denver's pass catchers won't get clean releases into their routes.

From a toe-to-toe perspective, the single biggest advantage Seattle has over Denver is its smash-mouth rushing attack keyed by chin-checking hammer back Marshawn Lynch. Although the Broncos' run defense statistics improved on paper in January, the playoff numbers look so good because Denver has grabbed early leads and forced opponents to become one dimensional. I do not believe they're a good bet put the Seahawks in a significant early-game hole.

Depleted up front as explained above, the Broncos coughed up 583 yards and five TDs on 137 carries (4.26 YPC) across their final five regular season games. The 4.26 yards-per-carry average allowed would've ranked 21st in the NFL. It's no coincidence that those numbers coincide with LE Derek Wolfe's (seizures) absence. The Seahawks play top-four rushing offense in both yardage and attempts per game, and with the ground attack can limit Peyton's field time by controlling time of possession. Seattle OC Darrell Bevell typically doesn't devise opponent-specific game plans, but his weekly routine is inherently opponent specific in this instance. The Seahawks can do what they do best against a relatively soft Denver front, and put clamps on the Broncos' strength in the process.

I still believe this will be a close, hard-fought Super Bowl, and games decided by three points or fewer can end up going either way. I like the Seahawks to prevail because I think they are a better top-to-bottom ballclub than the Broncos, and pose easily the most difficult matchup Peyton Manning has faced all year.

I'm largely only interested in playing NFL last 4 gms of the reg season. But the line movement indicates to me that playing Den ml and Sea +2.5 middle has a greater chance of hitting than statistically justified.

Not playing myself just an observation.

Seattle: 6-17 ATS when playing with 2 weeks or more of rest
Denver: 15-2 ATS when playing with 2 weeks or more of rest

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3d35N5C49kU?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Know somebody that knows somebody that says Manning is going to say Marshall (his son's name) as oppose to Omaha. Think it's reliable, either way it's enough for me to bet the house on under.

I don't care what consensus #s are being put out there... I have never seen so much love for one side of a game (that is supposed to be 70/30) as I see on Seattle everywhere. From the people on TV to every capping site. This one is truly 50/50 in terms of bet support IMO.

The weather IMO is the biggest story in SB history prior to snap. If winds were over 10 mph and it was under 20 degrees... there was NO way the Broncos could win this game. I would have laid up to 3 with Seattle. With 40, no wind, and potentially some rain, it is truly a 7-10 point swing. Denver goes from being incapable of moving the ball to perfect conditions to do so. Look at Seattle 1h vs. Saints vs. 2h. The wind stopped and the Hawks got lit up.

Also, the Seahawks have not played well on the road once this season. Everytime when they played a team with a pulse they escaped or lost. Outplayed @ Colts, Texans, Panthers, Rams, 49ers. Solid performance defensively at Arizona and NYG.

I would have been livid had I locked in on Seattle to see the weather open up like this. Truly the biggest swing I can remember of it favoring one team vs. another.

Also - Denver has been shutting down the run all post season and Wilson has been borderline terrible for 2 months.

Just playing the advocate here to all the Seattle love. I would have been with you guys for 5 times my normal 10x large bet. Now, I am not so sure.

It depends on who you're sampling. Literally everyone I know is betting on Denver or is sure that Denver will win.

Lol sportsinsights is not consensus numbers. Covers wager line is. SI is actual wagers. Not just people sitting and picking teams to win contest prizes.

THE VAST majority of normal everyday people think Denver is going to win. Or they want Denver to win for Peyton. Such a stupid reason to bet on Denver.

Regardless. The percentages don't matter as much as the fact Seattle opened as the favorite. That says everything

good doesn't prevail against evil often in the nfl. Would love to see it ... I will turn off the tv before having to watch Pete the Cheat spitting his gum out onto the Lombardi trophy with that "please hit me, I am a douche" look on his face. Want him to fail.... would be great if he had the best team in the nfl and got no title the same way he did with USC getting zero titles ( kept ) with the team of the century.

Other side has P Manning.

Can't blame the public for cheering on the white hats vs the black hats.

Nice line in the sand between regular gamblers and public gamblers in this one. Hope the Sharps get creamed this time, where as, I usually cheer for them.

If seahawks win then we know Tebow is vindictive.......

well i love that this is the general perception
why? general perception has nothing to do with how he will perform.

He's been hurt pretty badly in each of the last 3 games he's played going back to last year's season ending injury while playing with the Vikes vs. Seattle.

Percy cares about 1 person on this planet.... Percy. Fuck that little bitch. He quit on his team last year. He could have very easily played at the end of the season and the Vikes thought it would be best if he wasn't around. He didn't seem to have any problem with that idea since he was getting paid.

[h=1]Warren Sapp, Rick Ross bet $100,000 on Super Bowl[/h]Posted by Mike Florio on February 2, 2014, 3:06 PM EST
sapp.jpg
Getty Images
Last night, Warren Sapp asked Michael Strahan for forgiveness. Tonight, Sapp may be asking Strahan for a loan.
Sapp, who not that long ago was bankrupt, apparently bet rapper Rick Ross $100,000 on the outcome of Super Bowl XLVIII, with Sapp taking the Broncos. TMZ has video evidenceof the wager.
Ross tweeted that he and Sapp placed a wager on the game, but the message left out an amount — instead using five dollar signs.
For folks who work in the media (particularly the league-owned media) gambling is frowned upon.
So, basically, look for Ross and Sapp to soon claim it was all a joke.

got Seattle +3 and if it goes to 1 or pk by kick i may have to hedge.

anyone hear anythng from sound check about how this chick is singing hte anthem or what song bruno mars is coming out to?

got Seattle +3 and if it goes to 1 or pk by kick i may have to hedge.

anyone hear anythng from sound check about how this chick is singing hte anthem or what song bruno mars is coming out to?

On National Anthem...located the New York Philharmonic playing it in 1:42 posted in Natl Anthem thread

why? general perception has nothing to do with how he will perform.

He's been hurt pretty badly in each of the last 3 games he's played going back to last year's season ending injury while playing with the Vikes vs. Seattle.

Percy cares about 1 person on this planet.... Percy. Fuck that little bitch. He quit on his team last year. He could have very easily played at the end of the season and the Vikes thought it would be best if he wasn't around. He didn't seem to have any problem with that idea since he was getting paid.

General perception made this line favorable. Of course he quit on his team. His team sucked. Had no hopes for success. I think he has a big game. 70+ Yards and a TD. With his down the field ability this is a no brainer for me. Way too much is being made about the broncos stellar defense in the playoffs.

Back