Sunday NBA Discussion

• Thread starter Thread starter FRITO
  • Start date Start date
F

FRITO

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 width=540 bgColor=#cccccc><TBODY><TR><TD class=dataheader width=540 colSpan=10>NBA
Sunday, March 8th</TD></TR><TR><TD class=datasubheaderleft2 width=35>Time</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=40>Gm #</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=120>Team</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=75>Score</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=60>Opener</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=60>Hilton</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=60>5Dimes</TD><TD class=datasubheader width=60>ABC Island</TD></TR><TR class=scores-whitebg><TD class=scores-whitebg-left>03/08
9:35a</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg>801
802</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team> UTAH
TORONTO</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team><TABLE padding-left="5"><TBODY><TR><TD class=scores-whitebg-team-bb>
</TD><TD> </TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team-bb>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>
208½
</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>
</TD></TR><TR class=scores-greybg><TD class=scores-greybg-left>03/08
10:00a</TD><TD class=scores-greybg>803
804</TD><TD class=scores-greybg-team> ORLANDO
BOSTON</TD><TD class=scores-greybg-team><TABLE padding-left="5"><TBODY><TR><TD class=scores-greybg-team-bb>
</TD><TD> </TD><TD class=scores-greybg-team-bb>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=scores-greybg-right>198
</TD><TD class=scores-greybg-right>
</TD></TR><TR class=scores-whitebg><TD class=scores-whitebg-left>03/08
12:30p</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg>805
806</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team> PHOENIX
SAN ANTONIO</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team><TABLE padding-left="5"><TBODY><TR><TD class=scores-whitebg-team-bb>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>220
3:05p</TD><TD class=scores-greybg>807
808</TD><TD class=scores-greybg-team> NEW YORK
NEW JERSEY</TD><TD class=scores-greybg-team><TABLE padding-left="5"><TBODY><TR><TD class=scores-greybg-team-bb>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=scores-greybg-right>220
4:05p</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg>809
810</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team> MEMPHIS
HOUSTON</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team><TABLE padding-left="5"><TBODY><TR><TD class=scores-whitebg-team-bb>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>194
4:05p</TD><TD class=scores-greybg>811
812</TD><TD class=scores-greybg-team> PHILADELPHIA
OKLAHOMA CITY</TD><TD class=scores-greybg-team><TABLE padding-left="5"><TBODY><TR><TD class=scores-greybg-team-bb>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=scores-greybg-right>
6:05p</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg>813
814</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team> DENVER
SACRAMENTO</TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-team><TABLE padding-left="5"><TBODY><TR><TD class=scores-whitebg-team-bb>
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE></TD><TD class=scores-whitebg-right>7
212½
</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Last edited by a moderator:
Early start @ Toronto and with the Jazz IMO not playing to well the last 2 home games they are ripe for the picking here . Especially off a huge rally on national tv . Raps have been hanging around games just missing their chance . I think they really shit the bed here ...Raps everyway you can ....

Think you have to take ORL here . Boston kinda owns them but KG's absence shows up here with the superstar PF Dwight Howard. Really not much to say other then think Orl keeps this real close and probably wins SU.

Not sure about the SA game but Suns always peak my interest .

Probably play on Philly but not sure if its like -7 ....

Knicks and Nets thinking way over 220.....

Had a big play on Sixers -5 -120 that really should have cashed but pushed on Sat . Big reason is Memphis schedule recently . They played a couple games out West in LA , came home to host Philly and now play @ Houston the next day and began a road trip ....So not crazy about -13 but looking at Houston 1st H after they lost to Memphis past 2 meetings ..

Probably look at Den 1st H and Sac 2nd h...

Nut-

First instinct was Orlando too but then I thought about for a second and what do you they really have to play for? It's definitely a good situational spot with Boston coming off an emotional high - beating Cleveland - without their heart and soul in KG. Now this might be that kind of game where reality sets in a little bit without Garnett. Powe and Perkins owned the paint vs. Cleveland but tough to see that happening again with big Dwight down there wreaking havoc. Boston was handled pretty easily by Detroit before they came back strong and beat the Nets on the road and then Cleveland but a 10-point home loss vs. Detroit is not really conceivable with Boston at full strength. Garnett is sorely missed. All that said tho, if you look at the standings, does Orlando honestly think they can catch Boston - or less likely Cleveland - for the #2 seed? Only two games back of Boston in the loss column but it will still be tough. If they have that mentality of let's go get this fucking #2 spot or even #1 spot, they're gonna be possessed in this game. If Van Gundy is more so thinking about staying rested, accepting the #3 seed, working on some things, then I dunno. Boston has something concrete to play for, the #1 seed. Boston just can't be lacking motivation b/c they're far from dead in that race. Orlando might view this is a statement game for sure, but if they're not still dead-set on improving their seeding then I dunno, motivation might clearly be in Boston's favor.

Sorry for the ramble.

Phoenix line interesting in that it really shows how much respect Houston gets at home now, and probably rightfully so. Phoenix opens 6.5 vs. Houston and then, even more desperate for a win, open only 6 vs. Spurs. Vegas seems to believe Houston is a slightly superior team to San Antonio right now, at least at home. I really loved them at Houston, like them a bit less here but still don't think they go down without a fight. Duncan is definitely not himself right now and him being healthy is really a necessity for the Spurs to play like the Spurs. Phoenix really needs this game desperately. So I like the points on pure desperation.

As things stand, Orlando still has to know Cleveland is the fav to get 1st in the East. Since Orlando is a dead cert for 3rd - no better or worse - that means Boston (in coming 2nd in the East) is going to cross their paths in the playoffs (Orlando has no basis to think Boston will be knocked out before the Conf semis, just as they'll have no thought they dont make the Conf semis themselves). So Orlando, having gone 0-2 vs Boston this season already, is trying to make the March 25th game in Orlando (which KG is likely to be available for) a game they're out to win to tie the season hth record at 2 a piece, rather than one they'll be out to win to avoid going 0-4. What would going 0-4 or 1-3 mean psychologically for the Magic facing the Celts in the playoffs without HCA? I think this game would be all about the coming playoffs, not regular season final standings possibilities.

Orlando has very few games to care about from here on out in the reg. season, but this as far as I see it is one of the exceptions. I'd personally love to see them win this game SU, because they then won't give a shit about Detroit the next night, even thou Detroit recently beat them in Fla.

On a side note, Cleveland may have to pay a price for getting HCA over Boston this year... potentially dealing with this in the second round:

080310-dwayne-wade-vmed-2p.widec.jpg

Gonna be on Orlando. Don't forget the TNT game where Boston pretty much demoralized them. They were coming off the huge western trip where they beat LAL, SAS, and Den I believe and the the TNT game was Orlando's biggest game in seasons- possibly dwights career. (yes it was completely overdramacized, but thats how it was talked up to be) and they completely blew it. KG got in Dwight's head, the shooters couldn't knock shit down, and Orlando was just demoralized.
We should all know where KG comes in to play the most for Boston. His defense helps the rest of the team look impossible to score on, and his fire is what this team feeds off of for games- small and big. He pumps up the squad to not only get the best outta them in big games, but in EVERY game. They don't need motivation playing better teams, but they need it otherwise. Look at their schedule since he left:

@ Phoenix- 1st game outta break. needa prove they can do it
@ Denver- there were doubters still after smashing phoenix. 'maybe phoenix just isnt that good...' own denver

... here's the difference bw boston and other teams. Boston with KG will still be pumped after that game because KG hates losing and will lead his team. This team w/o him could have a hangover and kinda care less

@ LAC- lose! :(
vs Indiana: win a close one. no cover
vs Detroit: lose?!
@ NJ: win a tight one. no cover

-those 4 above games. ANY reason for them to esp want a win? I dont think so other than standings..

now they come up with a huge game. revenge game from when they lost at cleveland and for the standings...

vs Cleveland: huge W

unless they consider Orlando opposition, I don't see how they match Orlando's determination for this W. Who will defend Dwight? KG is supposed to be the guy that'll step up in a close game and defend the other teams center. Get in their heads (which unfortunately for Orlando, seems to work on Dwight). I'll be on Orlando, not HUGE, since it still is boston and orlando has det 2m.

Ok and how does NY respond to losing yesterday? I wanna pull the trigger on the Nets, but afraid that this could be a 'last stand' of sorts for NY, altho I think that was yesterday and they failed. Jersey has covered every game since the buzzer beater. Why fade that?

Other thoughts are Denver 1st H and Phoenix 1st H. This one smells like a San Antonio-esque down 3 to start the 4th win by the 2 type of game. One where Phoenix builds something like a 3-6 pt lead in the 1st H until SA puts on the clamps. Denver off a loss, Sac is shit. Until further notice, I cannot bet on Sacramento

I'm considering just passing on the forum play. Yes Utah is hot and those wins may get to their heads and the suck on the road in an early start in canada. Very legit reasons to like them. However.. they are 1 game outta 1st in the divison. They start a HUGE 5 game eatern road trip, this being honestly the only one they can expect to win (winning at indiana is hard...) This team NEEDS to prove they can win on the road and they know it.

The schedule giveth.
The schedule taketh away.
The Utah Jazz can atest to this occasionally forgotten fact of life in the NBA, now that a cozy six-week portion of the season has ended and the scary-looking stretch drive is at hand.
Since Jan. 17, the Jazz have gone 15-6, with an assist from the schedule.
During its return to health and prominence in the Western Conference playoff race, Utah has played 14 of 21 games at home. It has faced only 11 teams with a winning record.
"In all fairness," coach Jerry Sloan said, "we have caught a lot of teams at the right time. They've come in here playing back-to-back or they've had guys out. But, hopefully, our players have gotten a little confidence from these games."
It looks like it.
Currently riding a 10-game winning streak, the Jazz have taken advantage of the schedule-related breaks to nearly wipe out the six-game lead that Northwest Division-leading Denver had built in January.
"We're a young team," Sloan said. "But hopefully our players -- when they step out on the floor every night -- hopefully they feel like they're going to win the ball game. ...
"I've been around this game for awhile now and I know, when you get that confident feeling, it's a tremendous advantage. At that point, that's when you really grow as a team."
Next question.
Can the Jazz continue their winning ways on the road, where they play 13 of their final 20
games, including a five-game swing through the Eastern Conference that starts Sunday?

Utah is only 11-17 on the road, where it has beaten exactly one team with a winning record -- Detroit. And the Jazz needed double overtime to score that 120-114 victory on Dec. 19.
Asked how important it is for the Jazz to start asserting themselves during the upcoming trip to Toronto, Indiana, Atlanta, Orlando and Miami, Carlos Boozer said, "This is a huge test for our team. ...
"I think we've proven we're one of the elite teams at home. But we want to be an elite team -- period. For us to be that, we have to win on the road. So, like I said, this is a huge test for us before the postseason gets here. It's going to be a mark of how we're going to play in the postseason."
Unfortunately for the Jazz, every opponent on this trip except lottery-bound Toronto also has playoff ambitions.
Translation: Four of the five teams Utah will play should be equally motivated because their postseason fate still hasn't been determined.
The Pacers? They are battling five other teams for the eighth and final playoff berth in the Eastern Conference.
Atlanta and Miami? They are neck-and-neck for the fourth seed in the East and home court advantage in the first round.
Orlando? The Magic seem locked in as the East's No. 3 seed, but they are close enough to Boston and Cleveland that they could still move up if either falters.
"We're going to take this as a business trip," said Boozer. "We've got to go out and take care of business."
Said Sloan: "... This should be a fun time for our players because they have worked hard to get to this point. We just expect more. I don't think that's unfair."

now if you wanna fade this team on the road, I'm all for it. But doing it with a team thats playing for something makes more sense. How about Indiana or Atlanta who's one of the mnost dangerous home dogs? but Toronto? I think I'm talking myself into a Utah bet

ok well I'm not gonna wait for my local to release lines. going to sleep have played:
Utah -5 (-120)- 1 unit (bought the 1/2 outta spite at my philly -5.5 bet that I was contemplating buying the hook on, then watched as andre miller went 2/4 from the line late to get me a loss
Orlando +4- 2 units
1st H Denver -4 -105- 1 unit

road team day for me. May add 1st H Phoenix and/or NJ later

eh finished card with 1st H Phoenix +3 -105- 1 unit, and New Jersey -4.5- 1 unit

gl today guys. I'm likely sleepin til 7 pm-10 pm eastern

SF Capper not saying you are wrong on Utah winning, still think the first half belongs to Toronto. Biological clocks are hard to deal with and a team not used to day games has a good shot at a bad start.

Don't think it's that much of a loss. Millsap can be a perfect filler for Boozer. He's proven his game.

With KG out, think Boston/Orlando over 198 is something to look at. The All-defensive guy is out and boston's game been reaching pretty high numbers. As we all know, Orlando is capable of dropping 150 points (at SAC awhile back) when their 3 balls hit.

Huge trend alert.

Whenever I go to a game (Raiders, Niners, Warriors, A's, Giants, and Kings) the home team is hitting at about a 25% clip ATS. Yeah I'm a jinx. I'll be at the Kings/Nuggets game tonite so you know who to take.

any1 out in the spurs game? the spread went down 1.5 points...and the ` public is on the spurs.

anyone like the Grizz 1h? I'm thinking they'll collapse in the 2H if it's close, but Houston seems to play tight for a while and then expand the lead down the stretch

Back