Steele is Out!

RJ Esq

Prick Since 1974
Early copies have been given to some bloggers. Apparently it will be out in the newsstands next week.

Here's some of the info, including the top 10:

MERRY STEELETIDE!

HUZZAH! ONE HUNDRED COCKTAILS TO ODIN! IT’S STEELETIDE!
2533968340_2d6828abce.jpg

Steeletide, little doomed one-legged Tim, is the second happiest day of the year: the day when you, the college football consumer gets in their hot little hands the most extensive and punishingly data-riffic college football guide on the planet: Phil Steele’s College Football Preview.
Dictated–no, really, it is dictated–by Phil, it is the compendium of every division one football team broken down into units, rosters, tendencies, exhaustive stats on win streaks, record on grass versus turf, and everything everyone else will mostly be regurgitating up over the next nine to ten months anyways. It’s also great for your marriage.
Wife: Honey, what do you think? Should we plant bell peppers or tomatoes?
You: Mark Richt is 25-4 in opposing stadiums.
Wife: I don’t think you heard me, did you?
You: Utah has the second longest bowl winning streak. It stands at 7 games now.
Wife: YOU DON’T REALLY WANT TO HAVE ANOTHER BABY, DO YOU?
You: EVEN IN A FRUSTRATING YEAR USC OUTGAINED CONFERENCE FOES BY 157 YPG?
Wife: STOP SPEAKING IN ACRONYMS!!!
It should pop up on newsstands shortly, but a sneaky peeky inside this year’s mag in no particular order:
1. Nothing’s changed. Yay. Same infinitesimally small 6 point type. Same arcane system of acronyms. (Hey, there’s a glossary. Nut up, lazy readerperson.) Same eight sets of power rankings determining his conference picks. Same=good in this case, of course, since this now constitutes the highlight of our offseason and is also responsible for the serotonin bump we’ve been surfing like the Poraroca for the past day or so.
2. Number one? Oh, Christ: Florida. The 2008 preseason top ten, according to Phil, follow:
10. Penn State.
9. Georgia
8. USF
7. Missouri
6. West Virginia
5. Clemson
4. USC
3. Oklahoma
2. Ohio State
1. Florida
Phil’s counting on the “and now, a miracle happens” argument with the talented but scorchy young defensive backfield shaping up for the Gators. Being skeptics, we don’t wager on the sun rising, and anyone picking our team to finish first therefore gives us methy shakes. He bids large on Oklahoma, too, probably the more sensible pick in the Big 12 given the sudden evaporation of defense in conference, the Sooner’s mammoth offensive line, their solid array of offensive talent, and everyone else going gonzo by leaning on other wise merely good Texas Tech for their Big 12 pick.
Seeing Georgia that low–do not grok, not at all. We would point out, though, that Phil sees them to be a likely national title contender. USF seems a bit high, too, especially with their offensive line struggles and over-reliance on Matt Grothe. Any inclusion of Clemson in the top ten willingly omits their astonishing consistency over the past decade in losing at least two games they should walk away with each year.
3. Notre Dame, up. Ditto for North Carolina, Pittsburgh, South Carolina, Miami, Mississippi, Maryland, and Arizona, of all schools.
That’s all we’ll divulge, though if we were to actually convey one percent of the information in the guide we’d overload our server. Buy here or on newsstands next week, or in a bookstore if your town doesn’t have bold little scamps in half-pants and suspenders hawking newspapers and Life magazine on every corner. It’s JAMPACKED WITH INFORMATION, and even in all caps this is an understatement. Own it. Know it. Meld your flesh with it and become one with it.

Is it possible to put UGA that high? In all reality, if it's a normal year where there are 4-5 teams that have 1 loss or less, than UGA will be no higher than #6. No way in hell do they get out of that schedule better than 10-2. I actually think it's reasonable to put them at #9, because I could see them finishing there. On a neutral field, though, they're better than the 4 teams in front of them.

Can't wait to get this...

Good stuff, RJ...earliest place to get it in San Diego is usually Paris Newstand at 30th/University...I'll be heading there next Thursday or Friday to look for it.

Usually takes me about 5 weeks of fairly, daily dedicated reading to get thru the whole thing. That includes ranking every team in their particular conference and then integrating the conferences to get a ranking for all 119 teams. Ton of work...but then again, it's not really work to me.

Georgia is considered to be one if not the best teams.
The #9 ranking is based upon the strength of schedule.
While some consider the Florida game a road game its actually a neutral site. LSU would be the other big concern but clearly Georgia thinks they owe us for stealing "their" title last year. I wouldnt assume Georgia loses more than one game. If they do it could be the SEC championship game where anything can happen.

I'm not so sure that Phil didnt take into consideration the SEC is starting to catch up and catch on to Oscar Meyer. Tebow is solid but the SEC will be ready for him this year. Now if 3 of those 25 Five Star WRs finally show up then maybe the Gators are the team to beat.

Sure as nice to think about football. These rigged NBA playoffs are getting old.

Good stuff, RJ...earliest place to get it in San Diego is usually Paris Newstand at 30th/University...I'll be heading there next Thursday or Friday to look for it.

Usually takes me about 5 weeks of fairly, daily dedicated reading to get thru the whole thing. That includes ranking every team in their particular conference and then integrating the conferences to get a ranking for all 119 teams. Ton of work...but then again, it's not really work to me.

I'll head that way next week.

I usually spend most of my 4th of July Holiday at the pool in Vegas going through this. I'm probably going to do a bit before then so I don't feel like I'm working overtime to digest it.

His site put up a message stating that the magazine will be available at all major newstands on June 10th. Although you can order it June 2nd and have it shipped to your home which you could get about 5 or so days sooner.

Damn this guy could really use a manager. He's missing out on sure fire business with this horrible answering service.

R.J.! I didn't realize the dude was in the closet! UNF---ING BELIEVABLE!!

WTF does that mean?

Picked up a copy this morning at Barnes & Noble in Greenville, SC. You guys might want to head out to look

Thanks, Dwight. I was planning on going today too and see if it's in my B&N. Otherwise I'll go to Horses' newsstand tomorrow.

Are you sure it's called the Paris Newsstand? I can't find it.

Nevermind. It's "Paras". And the dude told me he's got it, although I wouldn't be surprised if they don't. "Yeah, college football. Yeah, Paul Steel. Yeah."

Nevermind. It's "Paras". And the dude told me he's got it, although I wouldn't be surprised if they don't. "Yeah, college football. Yeah, Paul Steel. Yeah."

Paul Steel has the Owls of Florida Atlantic winning the MNC this year. Let me know how you like his magazine

Sorry 'bout the spelling RJ; I just know where it is and yes, the apparently have it in. I will be going there after work today.

Sorry 'bout the spelling RJ; I just know where it is and yes, the apparently have it in. I will be going there after work today.

Got it this morning. My wife glanced at it briefly while we were driving in.

Texas is 3rd in Big XII South (OU, TT, Texas) and Kansas is 3rd in North (Mizzou, Nebraska, and Kansas). That's about all we got through.

You got a keeper in that wife of yours; I honestly don't know how she puts up with you! :36_11_6:

I didn't set odds, but I had you at about -1500 to look at the B12 first.

You got a keeper in that wife of yours; I honestly don't know how she puts up with you! :36_11_6:

I didn't set odds, but I had you at about -1500 to look at the B12 first.

Yeah, she's great about CFB. Not as big of a nutcase as I am, but she's still into it.

Her good friend from high school told her that she's getting married in Austin in the fall. My wife had to push her to do it on a weekend when the Horns were in town, but to do the wedding on a Sunday so we can go to the game. After about two months, mission accomplished. Going for the wedding (and game) the weekend Mizzou is in town.

Told me this morning that Junior League is trying to do a sports event at the Padres game on 9/13. During the Board Meeting, my wife piped up and said, "If you want the men there, don't do it on a fall Saturday especially that weekend. That's Texas-Arkansas." I then told her, of even more importance to the SoCal men, it's USC-tOSU.

She's great. Not bad looking either.

R.J.! I didn't realize the dude was in the closet! UNF---ING BELIEVABLE!!

WTF does that mean?
:36_11_6:Horses! This was a lighthearted joke at R.J.'s titlle "Steele is out"!
I always get this publication myself. Infact, I placed my order after reading this post by R.J.

I cant believe I did this but I went to Barnes and Noble saw the Magazine and I didnt even pick it up for some reason. I really dont know what I was thinking. I kept telling myself I want to wait till July to get it so I can remember most of the info but I couldnt believe I walked in Barnes and Noble and didnt come out with Steele

:36_11_6:Horses! This was a lighthearted joke at R.J.'s titlle "Steele is out"!

Terpman, lol, I must have been a little slow on the uptake...

just picked it up at Barnes and Noble..

also got athlon (sp? its not in front of me) cfb guide.. anybody ever read that or have knowledge on them?

Ya I picked up the "BCS Busters" version of Athlon as 90%+ of my wagers have to do with these teams. Haven't actually read it yet, but it does seem to have a little better breakdown of positions. Not sure how accurate they are yet.

Back