Spurrier-isms...

CollegeKingRex

CTG Regular
Saw a quote this morning that Spurrier said yesterday... Another one of his semi-backhanded slaps to the head of a foe/rival...

Got me thinking... if someone wants to post some of his more memorable quotes over the years, this might be the best thread of the year from a sheer enjoyment standpoint.

I'll start with yesterday's.....

[FONT=arial, geneva]'Steve Superior' speaks[/FONT]

Asked yesterday to comment on University of Kentucky quarterback Andre' Woodson, South Carolina coach Steve Spurrier was hardly effusive, opting as he so often does to offer slight praise, then take a dig at a rival.

"I really admire what Kentucky, their team did last year," Spurrier said. "Go 8-5, win the (Music City) Bowl game. We thought we did something big beating Clemson, then Kentucky beat them also."

South Carolina and Clemson are bitter rivals.

"Anyway, Clemson was a pretty good team," Spurrier said with a smile. "They were a good team. At one point in the year, they were a dang good team. I don't know exactly what all happened to them, but they didn't finish very well."

"We thought we did something big beating Clemson, then Kentucky beat them also."

Gotdamn. What a prick.

:36_11_6:

He's not in the Swamp any more, but I still love that guy.

A total jackass, but he used to be 'our' total jackass.

That guy can win every game on his schedule except the Florida one for all I care.

I do, too.

Especially growing up a Florida State fan...

Nothing was better than watching him suck balls with the Skins.

That said, my Journalism side used to love him. I still do love his quotes; would love to be a South Carolina beat writer; i'd constantly get him to spit out some funny shit on a weekly basis...

"I did coach three years in the United States Football League with the Tampa Bay Bandits, and we had winning teams every year. "

haha ya, added that quote to the bottom of my sig yesterday after I read the recap of media days.. I will go on the gamecock message board and find some quotes, lots of them about Clemsux

LMAO

Another John McKay gem as told by Steve Spurrier. Washington Redskins coach Steve Spurrier was a member of the last winless NFL team, the 1976 Tampa Bay Buccaneers. "I remember a speech our coach, John McKay, was giving us at one point in the season," he told the New Yorker, "He was emphasizing that games are lost in the trenches by failing to block and tackle on the front lines. "And as he was talking he noticed a lineman asleep in the back. He called his name, woke him up and asked him 'Where are most games lost?' And the lineman says 'Right here in Tampa, sir.'"​

Steve Spurrier, Florida football coach, telling Gator fans that a fire at Auburn's football dorm had destroyed 20 books:
[SIZE=+1]But the real tragedy was that 15 hadn't been colored yet[/SIZE]

He called his name, woke him up and asked him 'Where are most games lost?' And the lineman says 'Right here in Tampa, sir.'"

Almost all John McKay stories are funny, that guy was outstanding.

ON MONITORING PLAYERS “Some say bring in these mentors to talk to them every day and every night. They’re busy; football players are busy (with) study halls and tutoring. Well, anyway, at South Carolina they are. I don’t know about all these other schools.”

spurrier : "I know why Peyton returned for his senior year, he wanted to be a three-time citrus bowl mvp"

spurrier : "you can't spell citrus without UT"

wow, vegaskyle...that might be the first time in my life i saw ANYONE sport a Utah St avatar

Here you go:

VIEWOFEXXDRQDTR.20060824205441.jpg

I loved the "Free Shoes University" moniker after the shoe scandal involving several players at FSU.

:36_11_6:

Oh man...I gotta kick out of that Kentucky quote.

We have NEVER beaten him - he owns us. I think it's 14-0 lifetime?

Another John McKay classic was following a Tampa Bay Buccaneers loss in their early seasons, McKay was asked what he thought of his team's "execution." He replied, "I'm all for it."[SUP][

[/SUP]

Another John McKay zinger.

On recruiting his son, J.K, to play football at USC: "I had a rather distinct advantage. I slept with his mother."

Speaking at ACC Media Days on Monday, Clemson head coach Dabo Swinney said, "I have great respect for Coach (Steve) Spurrier, but we're just from different planets. He's from Pluto, I'm from Mars." The comment was light-hearted and non-adversarial but it, of course, made headlines since, well, there's nothing else to talk about.
On Tuesday, Spurrier was at the ESPN studios taking part in the SEC "Car Wash" inviting all of the league's coaches over the course of two days to promote their team. The Head Ball Coach came back with this retort.

Brett McMurphy ✔ @McMurphyESPN
Follow

Steve Spurrier on Dabo Swinney’s “He’s from Pluto, I’m from Mars” quote: “Dabo still thinks there are 9 planets out there"

My buddies and I spoke to Spurrier over the weekend at the Tahoe Celeb Golf Tournament. I was wearing my Alabama hat and my buddy said to Spurrier, "Hey Steve, tell my friend with the Bama hat that they suck!" Steve looked at me and said, "We have to be able to beat Georgia first before I can say that."

My buddies and I spoke to Spurrier over the weekend at the Tahoe Celeb Golf Tournament. I was wearing my Alabama hat and my buddy said to Spurrier, "Hey Steve, tell my friend with the Bama hat that they suck!" Steve looked at me and said, "We have to be able to beat Georgia first before I can say that."

man, must have been awesome to hear his digs in person hah

Steve Spurrier asked whether he's ever had QB punched in jaw. "Don't think so. Don't think I've ever had QB that owed people money, either."

“Will be the 14th time I’ve coached in Neyland Stadium. … I’ve coached there more than some of their coaches.”

"I sort of always liked playing them that second game because you could always count on them having two or three key players suspended."

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jkffAsZVbSE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/yOgyU_xBDuY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen=""></iframe>

The above two are great

But shit-faced Spurrier on the Coaches Show is the best

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/H38pXGBMWEg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[h=4]Auburn[/h]On a fire at the football dorm that destroyed 20 books: "But the real tragedy was that 15 hadn't been colored yet."

[h=4]Alabama[/h]On recruiting: "In 12 years at Florida, I don't think we ever signed a kid from the state of Alabama ... Of course, we found out later that the scholarships they were giving out at Alabama were worth a whole lot more than ours."

On Peyton Manning: "I know why Peyton came back for his senior year. He wanted to be a three-time star of the Citrus Bowl."

whew spurrier is the man, and at the same time such an ass.

Quote from interview after practice the other day... "Coach, what do you think the QBs did good today?" "Well, they threw the ball up in the air. Most of the time, the wide receiver caught it. Most of the time."

I think he is truly coming into his stride here boys. Sadly vegas has us O/U 6.5 on the season so I am not to hopeful for more entertainment than Spurrierisms all season. At least the defense will be improved this year. Guess had nowhere to go but up haha

Back