****Soccer is the Greatest Sport on Earth In-Game****

Let's take it further. The three who missed were all subs, you didn't even start the three you were comfortable putting in those spots

I get England like to go strength first but that was awful, and Sancho/Rashford basically come on with virtually no game time to deal with that pressure

Easy to armchair QB but it's also pretty easy to see why what happened there did...the possession in the 2h was the difference, one manager adjusted well and one looked lost

yeah to be fair pks are kinda crapshoots , unless the goalie stands on their Head

it’s all mental

yeah to be fair pks are kinda crapshoots , unless the goalie stands on their Head

it’s all mental
Well yeah that's my thing, Rashford looked mental, Sancho had no real conviction, then the 19 year old isn't ready for that

Just think bringing guys on at the end to take pens without working out nerves in the flow of the match, of course they're gonna have things going on upstairs

I have a suggestion that I think might improve these international matches. While few want to see a game decided on penalties I don't see a way around it as a final tiebreaker, but match play could be improved by holding the pk contest FIRST and establish the tiebreak winner before the match itself. This basically puts one team on notice that they need to outscore the other team, creating a sense of urgency from the start and opening the game up right off the bat. The match then gets played out. If one team scores more then obviously they're declared the winner. If the game ends in a tie then the pk result serves as the tiebreaker. This is not unlike the home & home concept we see in some tournaments, where the 2nd game has a greater sense of urgency for one team initially.

I have a suggestion that I think might improve these international matches. While few want to see a game decided on penalties I don't see a way around it as a final tiebreaker, but match play could be improved by holding the pk contest FIRST and establish the tiebreak winner before the match itself. This basically puts one team on notice that they need to outscore the other team, creating a sense of urgency from the start and opening the game up right off the bat. The match then gets played out. If one team scores more then obviously they're declared the winner. If the game ends in a tie then the pk result serves as the tiebreaker. This is not unlike the home & home concept we see in some tournaments, where the 2nd game has a greater sense of urgency for one team initially.
I like that purely as a concept...intelligent stuff as always from you Gandy... but it simply kills the TV drama aspect currently attached to penalties

Sterling on right is a great call

Emerson is not good
i was surprised that they let Emerson go forward like Spinazzola did with no ability to defend, cost them the first goal but so much for the "stay back while attacking" FIFA setting Mancini just gave up on him defending anyway

Yep, and it's on tape delay, everyone who wants to know who wins knows, wasnt like a great match either

Plus England and italy probly 2 of best 3 drawing euro teams in the us

I'm guessing France because they're good? I'm from a very italian place, but i would have said Italy by a landslide then england since they invented the game they can't win

Southgates system pays off right away

Scared
i recognize i'm gravedigging, but you can't have felt good about watching the rest of the match

Wingbacks dominated this tournament, that's not a Southgate thing since even Low got some of it. Part of why i love Atalanta next season

Barring anything crazy France will be favored next year in WC but Italians will be there

Not like Brazil, Portugal, Argie, England won't be that next tier

Crazy, most of the big time threats are aging, could be wide open after France, Italy, Brazil

Argentina and Portugal best players are not old, Portugal defense just really needs to replace Pepe and the manager's style

I'm not doing it but transfer season gonna be fast and furious

De Paul to Atletico is an incredible fit, will give his all for the manager

i recognize i'm gravedigging, but you can't have felt good about watching the rest of the match

Wingbacks dominated this tournament, that's not a Southgate thing since even Low got some of it. Part of why i love Atalanta next season
They had the first 20 minutes with the system, was working great... then not so much

Mancini adjusted by dropping jorginho deeper so kane couldnt come back to the ball, and suddenly england had no outlet and southgate never adjusted.

It just ended up being rice and Phillips launching balls forward which plays right into chiellini and bonucci strengths

He never adjusted, never. Basically needed to being Bellingham on, or drop kane to essentially midfield and have someone else play at cf

Barring anything crazy France will be favored next year in WC but Italians will be there

Not like Brazil, Portugal, Argie, England won't be that next tier

Crazy, most of the big time threats are aging, could be wide open after France, Italy, Brazil
France, brazil, england are the top 3 at the moment

+500, 550, and 650

Then a bit further back argies, germany, italy all +900

Disagree on the aging too

France and england are super young

Argentina outside messi and di Maria are young

Portugal outside pepe and ronaldo

Germany will be a new group really, low brought in some old guard since it was his final tournament, but they will build around goretzka and havertz now

Italy are super young outside cb, but have able replacements

I was really disappointed to not see Draxler or Brandt nominated for the squad. Those are potentially two huge pieces. Hopefully they get more playing time at their respective clubs and keep developing for the next WC

France, brazil, england are the top 3 at the moment

+500, 550, and 650

Then a bit further back argies, germany, italy all +900
Tried to do it without looking at the odds first, can't imagine anyone in a rush to bet it, there will be injuries and no clue what next Summer is going to look like with no competitions unless they start leagues earlier.

Surprised England are lower than Italians

Disagree on the aging too

France and england are super young

Argentina outside messi and di Maria are young

Portugal outside pepe and ronaldo

Germany will be a new group really, low brought in some old guard since it was his final tournament, but they will build around goretzka and havertz now

Italy are super young outside cb, but have able replacements

getting Low out of there is a major plus, but i'm not sure the olds returned just because it was his last hurrah. They are so weak, Bundesliga is filled with foreign talent and i'm hoping to be against them as much as possible until they get rated like a Croatia

And Donnarumma to PSG on a 5 year deal

No transfer thread so will leave it in here but that was one of their few weaknesses
maybe but Navas was great last season and won them some big matches almost single-handedly

Not sure why they got a pass for not winning Ligue 1, but they're signing everybody and clearly are a big-time threat for UCL. I'm not sure City/Chelsea/LFC deserve shorter odds

Reactions: KJ
getting Low out of there is a major plus, but i'm not sure the olds returned just because it was his last hurrah. They are so weak, Bundesliga is filled with foreign talent and i'm hoping to be against them as much as possible until they get rated like a Croatia
He brought back some guys who hadn't been with the national team for awhile, hummels and muller the two big ones, he didnt have to play for the future anymore, just 1 tournament

i want to do a 10-day bender in europe and see three matches, don't really care about the country but it feels like 2021-22 is going to be very difficult

maybe but Navas was great last season and won them some big matches almost single-handedly

Not sure why they got a pass for not winning Ligue 1, but they're signing everybody and clearly are a big-time threat for UCL. I'm not sure City/Chelsea/LFC deserve shorter odds
My guess is City are favourites, PSG, Pool

Then throw Bayern, Atletico, Barca, Madrid in a drum and pick it from there

He brought back some guys who hadn't been with the national team for awhile, hummels and muller the two big ones, he didnt have to play for the future anymore, just 1 tournament
sure but having to do that demonstrates how weak they are. Cavs mentioning bench player Brandt and 27yo Draxler as hope for them is not a good sign either

Certainly have plenty of youth, but they were pretty far off this summer and i'm not sure that all changes in just a year to compete in Qatar

sure but having to do that demonstrates how weak they are. Cavs mentioning bench player Brandt and 27yo Draxler as hope for them is not a good sign either

Certainly have plenty of youth, but they were pretty far off this summer and i'm not sure that all changes in just a year to compete in Qatar
Plenty of talent and a huge upgrade in coaching

Brandt should have been on the euro squad

Kimmich and goretzka is as good a midfield in europe

Wirtz and musiala should be big contributors by then , sane another 16 months for the knee to heal to get back to 100%, havertz only getting better

They are a better team than anyone outside europe except maybe 2, top 8 overall

Plenty of talent and a huge upgrade in coaching

Brandt should have been on the euro squad

Kimmich and goretzka is as good a midfield in europe

Wirtz and musiala should be big contributors by then , sane another 16 months for the knee to heal to get back to 100%, havertz only getting better

They are a better team than anyone outside europe except maybe 2, top 8 overall

all good points but i'm not sure more time means anything to Sane. Sure he'll be faster, but that's never been his problem. He has the touch of a construction boot

Brandt an afterthought for BVB, can't argue with that bayern midfield and expect Flick to defer to that roster for good reason. Excited to see Wirtz and Musiala's growth, but they'll still be very young.

Havertz looks like the guy to build around so long as defenses don't realize they can just dare Werner to shoot since he can't finish

all good points but i'm not sure more time means anything to Sane. Sure he'll be faster, but that's never been his problem. He has the touch of a construction boot

Brandt an afterthought for BVB, can't argue with that bayern midfield and expect Flick to defer to that roster for good reason. Excited to see Wirtz and Musiala's growth, but they'll still be very young.

Havertz looks like the guy to build around so long as defenses don't realize they can just dare Werner to shoot since he can't finish
Gonna be fun when Leipzig plucks Timo back up and he drops 25 in league

I just don't think he's a spotlight player

Werner was lethal top of the box cutting in from the left on his right foot, watched him score that goal 10x in the bundesliga then surprisingly the EPL watched some tape and did not give that to him. Without that and being unable to run by everybody for a 2-on-1 he predictably struggled, wonder if he'll develop something else

i guess he had some flourishes but didn't seem to adjust too well to the senior level, looking forward to him reaching those astronomical expectations
Yep, those numbers he was putting up with the youth teams were insane

Guessing a lot was hes just so much more physically dominant at this point with his age group, and even up to u21s, but big step up. I'm guessing he gets a lot more playing time this season as a sub

Definite wild card though, hes coming up on the age mbappe and haaland really started to show something, and Germany badly need a striker

PSG should be CL favs right now

City if they get Kane would be
I honestly don't want HK and even though it's not my money, him and Haaland are stupidly overvalued. Harry looks old at times and Haaland I'd need to see succeed, Bundi strikers don't seem to translate well with Premier League

Still crossing finger for Lautaro and spend the money to get Grealish

Kane dropping back into midfield to create doesn't seem to solve a MCFC need, but surely he'd produce with all the opportunities a MCFC shirt would deliver him

Back