Silky's Week 6 Diamonds

Silkydiamonds

Imma sip this tea
Well a solid week 5, 7-5 +1.45u. Bringing YTD total to 27-21 56.25% +3.95u.

so let's get started:

WKY -4
UCLA -3.5
Utah St -6
Nevada +5.5

Y'all know the rules, let's get it in folks! good luck this week

was lookin to go against wky when I saw +6 but missed it no play for me there. against Nevada health there. GL this week

Im afraid Maryland offensively has enough to make this closer than I want it to be. Still breaking it down, but this game has haunted me since week 1.

Good luck this week. Can't wait to see how Maryland stacks up against FSU. That FSU/Maryland back-to-back for Clemson is going to be brutal.

like your card so far, BOL Silk :shake:

Thanks bro, seen we on a few together so lets have a good week!

Good luck this week. Can't wait to see how Maryland stacks up against FSU. That FSU/Maryland back-to-back for Clemson is going to be brutal.

Mannnnn.......... M.W, Mary scares the shit outta me. The best offense FSU has seen thus far and pretty good defense too. The only thing big our way is its in Tally. The Mary offense does give the Noles a good game to play before Clemson though. But 10/19 will be the biggest ACC game in a long time. Whoever wins catapults themselves into serious National title talk. I wanna win, but if we dont I want to see that ACC flag get carried and make the league have to be noticed.

I hit Mary +17. I've been super impressed with them this year and they have a bye week. They will give freshman QB some new looks.

Took VT -7. Pure fade of. UNC. Expecting line to move.

Penn st -3

Utah st -6.5.

I hit Mary +17. I've been super impressed with them this year and they have a bye week. They will give freshman QB some new looks.

Took VT -7. Pure fade of. UNC. Expecting line to move.

Penn st -3

Utah st -6.5.

understand nd the fade of UNC, I couldn't back them with someone else's money. Talked about my misgivings with Penn St, we agree on USU. I think you got the magic number on Mary. Good luck fam get the cheese!

get it this week obama

tryna heat it up Hunt :)

gl Silky, I like your card

Thanks bro I hope that means I win lol

Gonna try this again

Stat That Stands Out
That’s that rate at which UCLA has allowed opponents to convert 3rd downs this year. No they haven’t faced the monsters of the midway, but they have faced a Nebby squad who’s offense is clicking at 49% on 3rds even AFTER 3/14 vs the Bruins. And they have faced a Nevada squad that even though they have faced UCLA & FSU STILL converts 50% of their 3rds. Those are 2 offenses that keep the chains moving. Well they stopped moving vs UCLA. If that number were a complete season number it would be the 5th best 3rd down defense of ALL since 2009 (2012 BYU 26.52, 2011 Bama 24.46, 2010 TCU 24.10, 2009 Texas 26.50). Those are 4 of the best defenses of the entire 00’s. Now I wont get ahead of myself, UCLA has played 3gms, but 2 of them are against offense that no matter who you are (save for a few) they will get 40+% on 3rd down. I’m of the camp that says 3rd down% is 1 of the biggest stats (predictive & descriptive) that we have at our disposal. Simply stated control of 3rd down is control of the ball which is control of the game.

On The Ground
The Utes are getting the damn thing done on the ground this year……….Or so it seems. 218.7/gm on the ground are the type of numbers you want to see when you’re on a home dog. But lets examine a bit deeper than just the nameless /faceless aggregate.
- 148 at home vs USU at 3.36ypc in a game you had 6mos to prepare for, mehhh. I’ll call it somewhat above avg but nothing to say oh my gosh.
- 338 8.89ypc at home vs Big Bad ass Weber State!!! Aww shit, they ran the hell over a team of future National Car Rental reps. Grrreat. *sarcasm*
- 260 at home vs Oregon State at 6.67ypc. I’ll call this the best performance. But lets be honest about Oregon St , Utah is the only legit FBS squad Ore St has seen and they’ve played 5gms. This speaks more to the Ore St defense than the Utah run game. But 260 vs a FBS squad from an AQ that aint like Wake or Colorado etc is what it is. Good
- 129 vs BYU in Provo impresses as well, because BYU can put the clamps on folks, especially in Provo.

All this to basically say, yeah Utah is above average running the ball. But they are not special. Butt it is a good enough run game to own some clock & force the opposition to be clock conscious, which feeds into the hands of the Utah defense. I like that.

RB James “bubba” Poole & QB Travis Wilson are the main cogs in the skill dept of the ground game (58% of carries). When you see RB & QB as 2 top rushers you can almost blindly know this is a read option squad. The Utah line is better than last year’s even though they have less experience. It seems that this group has great stamina as they’ve been able to put up their big yds in the 2nd half of most games. Or it could be because most of the defenses they have played lack in depth. Either way the Ute running game is solid if not spectacular and gives them the balance needed to keep the ball & set up some big passing plays.

Defensi vely the Utes put up on the surface great rush defense 3s (118.2ypg), but when examined tell a different story.
- 173yds at 4.4 ypc to Utah St, which isn’t that far off from USU’s performances against some of the worst FBS rush defenses (AF & SjSt). Definitely not something to puff your chest at
- 183 to BYU which is actually pretty good. But when you see that BYU got 550yds vs a Texas squad that apparently was coached to watch the QB run & 309 vs a Mid Tenn St squad no one accuses of being stout it kinda evens out. Still I guess you can say its impressive to hold a team that rushed for 758yds in 2gms to just 183.
- 117 totals rush yds between (FCS) Weber St & Oregon St,. I wont speak on Webere (no need), but Oregon State also had a 10yd rushing game vs Sd St. Yeah, mmmm nuff said. Oregon State doesn’t care much for running lol

So while the numbers still look good, theres some other things that must be accounted for. In the overall though Utah State is a more than worthy run game defense.

UCLA’s ground game cant really be quantified right now. They’ve played terrible run defenses & Its very hard to measure how much is it UCLA being great & how much of it is the comp being shitty. This will actually be the 1st time UCLA has faced a team that is capable of stopping them on the ground. A big concern, but having 3gms & 2 byes already should mean the UCLA running game is rounding in to fine form.

The UCLA running game utilizes the pistol formation & Read Option scheme, think Washington Redskins, Seattle Seahawks, SF 49ers CFB style. The reason I use pro teams as the comparison is Mora. Mora likes to utilize these schemes & sets in the more NFL way as opposed to the NCAA way. What I mean by that is Pro teams expect to have excellent passers & therefore use their running games as more of a component of their passing game & to melt the clock once up. Mora at UCLA loves his running game but is using it not so he can just run run run, he’s using it as a component of an explosive passing game that puts teams down by a ton, then as the hammer to nail the coffin. For instance look at Urban up in Columbus, he’ll use his pass game as a check against you stopping his run game, all the while his primary focus is to just run as much as possible. Mora loves his run, but he wants to complete some passes on you, score in bunches then let his D pin their ears back.

The name Jordon James is the the given title of UCLA’s lil stout thumper/slasher, I call him dynamite. Because at 5’9 194 the guy is explosive. Currently 5th in the nation in rushing, he’s hard to see at 5’9, hard to tackle & hard to catch. Because of this teams must dedicate tons of prep time & keys on him, which opens up everything else they do for their other players. The UCLA line is on the small side for a FBS squad , 1 guard is 276, the center is 275 & a tackle is280. But back to Mora, if you remember his Atlanta days you’ll remember JMJr’s love of the zone blocking run game. Having had the guru Alex Gibbs at both his NFL head coaching stops, Mora learned a smaller more nimble lineman was way more effective at the ZBS that big mauler. He’s carried this over to UCLA where OC Noel Mazzone has also felt the same way. The UCLA line wants to get the DL moving laterally, doubling down linemen, reaching up to LBs and cutting the backside guy. This allows the RB to run & cutback wherever the Defense over pursues. Then you add the QB Hundley using the RO mesh point to also control the feet of back 7 personnel and you get most often JJ 1 on 1 with basically a LB or a safety in space. Its all about flow and creating 1 on1s in the run game.

UCLA defensively on the ground again is hard to determine. I’ll just say they aren’t spectacular but they aint bad. The 3-4 they run, with Mora as the ultimate mastermind is a defense I like. The LBs are fucking monster mutants that clean up just about everything that clears the line. Im very concerned about the yardagae give up to New Mex St, a flat out awful team. Of the 187, 112 came in the 1st half. This is vs a team that cant pass. Maybe UCLA was uninterested, but I don’t like when a team lets a team like NMSt run on them.

Through The Air
UCLA does tremendous damage here. 330yds/gm 68.8% comp 9.1ypa. The skies are not safe when the Bruins show up. Brett Hundley quietly & secretly will end up in the discussion for top available draftable QB by season’s end. The guy looks like an NFL QB, has the arm for it, the size for it, and in today’s NFL the ability to be the running threat for it. Hundley is in my opinion better now than Kaepernick when he came out of Nevada. He’s really that fucking good. The main targets are Shaquille Evans & Devin Fuller. Those guys see a ton of 1 on 1s as teams mainly have to send extra help in the box for the run game. UCLA counters with constrain plays/packaged plays, that basically assert if you attempt to takeaway this play we have built a counter into the play that makes you pay. There may be a zone read of the DT, with a built in screen to the left and a built in slant drive concept to the right. When the LB behind the DT tries to help the read DT he leaves open are to be exploited by the pass. Hundley simply looks at who the DT follows, then where the LB goes and distributes the ball accordingly. Having built NFL style passing concepts on top of this Read Option/Zone Read scheme in the Pistol, Mora/Mazzone have put the defense in an uncomfortable bind. Some NCAA teams make the overcommitted D pay with some small screens some outs etc. UCLA makes you pay like Baylor makes you pay, with BOMBS!

Utah aint bad at the passing game, in fact they are excellent. They gets the damn thing done. I like theor passing game more than I do their running game. 286yds/gm 64.2% comp 9.5ypa. They know what they are doing and get it done. Similar to UCLA its built off the zone read run offense.The difference here is Utah distributes the ball to 4 receivers about equally thus making it harder for defenses to key. This strategy is hard against teams with lil DB depth/talent and no real DL talent/depth. Utah’s trigger man is accurate & skilled enough in the offense to make you pay . This is a n area Utah uses to to wreck a team’s gameplan defensively. Just not enough teams have the talent/depth to cover 3 good WRs & a RB after all that RO play action.

Defensively in the air is where these 2 diverge. Utah has obviously played the better of the passing offenses and in turn has gotten drubbed through the air by them. IF BYU actually had a competent passer who could complete better than 40% of his passes this would even be worse. I have very little faith in the Utah pass D. Its an area I expect UCLA to exploit frequently. Where Utah is able ot make up for poor secondary play is the DLine, they get after it and sack folks. 15 sacks in 5 games, sacking the QB is another great stat I like. The sack is a negative yds play & when its on a 3rd down it’s a drive killer. Beyond that, when you are able to get that many sacks, it means you are putting big pressure on up front. So you also get hurries and misplaced passes, all things that are good for a bad pass D. Utha can use this to disrupt the UCLA pass game.

UCLA on the pass D side is stingy as hell. Less than 60% completions 177yds/gm & 5.5ypa. Teams are basically passing well enough to punt the ball. A lot of that has to do with the pressure the UCLA offense puts on the other team to score. Going down 17pts takes all that Im gonna run the ball shit away. The DBs are both young & new so its actually impressive they haven’t been torched. This again is owed to Mora Jr, he’s a an excellent defensive mind who’s core strengths are coaching the secondary. What really helps this secondary though is the front 7 the LBs are mutants & the DL is packed with 4 & 5 stars. Not many teams can handle an all day dose of 4 & 5 stars bigs for 4qtrs. This will be the key position battle imo. And I like UCLA here a lot more than I like Utah.

What I see
This should be a damned good game. I think Utah provides the best defensive test for UCLA thus far 7 will offensively challenge them as well. I think UCLA’s passing game & overall talent are enough to overcome what should be a hostile environment & tough opponent. Barring some major turnover issues, UCLA’s near 70% 3rd down conversion rate & 26% 3rd down rate against will ultimately be the huge factor as Utah will have more than a few drives that end up back in the hands of the UCLA offense.

UCLA 34 Utah 24

GL , sir.

Any advantage to playing against UCLA 1st half and for the Bruins in the 2nd?
I haven't been able to see if the linesmakers shade that side more.

sillky bol my brother I like your IOWA game i'm flying out to Nevada Thursday morning and leaving Thursday night. back Friday morning. going to bet the IOWA game I hate taking that late Thursday fight out it's a killer. I hope IOWA is the bet if not i'm taking a bath 99.99 percent of the time I never bet like that. but I like this game bol on your other games have a great week

Silky that is one awesome writeup on UCLA/Utah. Hope you have a great week.

Sexy lil writeup there. ..

My way of giving back to a place that has given me so much. Hope it wins lol

GL , sir.

Any advantage to playing against UCLA 1st half and for the Bruins in the 2nd?
I haven't been able to see if the linesmakers shade that side more.

you know I haven't even thought of it, seems on just a glance to be something that has merit.

sillky bol my brother I like your IOWA game i'm flying out to Nevada Thursday morning and leaving Thursday night. back Friday morning. going to bet the IOWA game I hate taking that late Thursday fight out it's a killer. I hope IOWA is the bet if not i'm taking a bath 99.99 percent of the time I never bet like that. but I like this game bol on your other games have a great week

D8 enjoy yourself out there, I hope you kick major ass. You are 1 of best all around good people.

Maryland Moneyline +485 LOCK

:cheers: Going to be my new tradition Silky

if FSU loses I'm blaming you! Lol

Silky that is one awesome writeup on UCLA/Utah. Hope you have a great week.

Thanks, I just hope my boys can get a win on your guys & not get any injuries. Edsall is doing things right in CP & I'm happy that Matyland has a buzz again in the DMV

Silky,
would love to hear your thoughts on Ole Miss/Auburn. I know laying points on the road in the SEC is usually a tough proposition, but I like this Ole Miss team and I really don't like Auburn. Bet it early in the week at -2-1/2. Like it less at 3, but still think it's a solid play. Your thoughts if you get a minute?
thanks and BOL
J

Hate to see you on Nevada bro, but I can't blame you for goin with the Wolfpack, as I feel this line should've been SDSU favored by a point or two.

Question Silky...what are your thoughts on Cincy -11 @ USF? Personally, I think USF is in shambles right now, and I can't help but lean to the Bearcats here. I never like laying DD on the road, but USF is simply god awful.

Best of luck as always homie!

And BTW Silky, I agree 100% with Yanks...amazing call/writeup/prediction on UCLA @ Utah. Damn near predicted the score perfectly.

Keep up the great work bro!

Silky,
would love to hear your thoughts on Ole Miss/Auburn. I know laying points on the road in the SEC is usually a tough proposition, but I like this Ole Miss team and I really don't like Auburn. Bet it early in the week at -2-1/2. Like it less at 3, but still think it's a solid play. Your thoughts if you get a minute?
thanks and BOL
J

My numbers actually call for the home dog to upset Ole Miss. Obviously I havent played it (yet), I think these 2 teams are close to mirror images of each other. Ole Miss takes more sacks & Aubbie turns it over a bit more. But hey Aubbie held LSU & its new powerhouse offense to its lowest points output all year. Take a close look at the Auburn D, they got as many stars as Ole Miss has without all the national media signing class hype Ole Miss received. Auburn's problem was never talent, it was coaching. Chizik was a genius with a 1x in a generation guy & a turd without.

Im a big Ole Miss advocate, actually 1 of my 1st posts after the Nat'l Title game was to get familiar with Bo Wallace. I love the kid & I know Ole Miss wont be shutout again, I persoanlly just think Auburn comes through. now am I confident enough to bet it? LMAO No, not yet. So that at least tells you that all Im talking about right now, I aint willing to bet it happens. Good luck with it though JDogg, I hope you win :shake:

Hate to see you on Nevada bro, but I can't blame you for goin with the Wolfpack, as I feel this line should've been SDSU favored by a point or two.

Question Silky...what are your thoughts on Cincy -11 @ USF? Personally, I think USF is in shambles right now, and I can't help but lean to the Bearcats here. I never like laying DD on the road, but USF is simply god awful.

Best of luck as always homie!

I actually like Cincy A LOT!! I'll prolly play it even. You hit the nail on the head, USF is flat out shitty. Skip Holtz destroyed that program & its gonna take a ton of patience from Taggart to get it right. I feel the exact same as you about laying DD on the road with Cincy (I will with some other teams), after seeing Cincy lay that turd on the road vs Miami (Oh) prolly the worst team out there. IT scares me a lil. But just on #s alone, I see Cincy winning 45-10. Just need to do some digging to alleviate my mind on Cincy. I think I'll still bet it tho

damn Silk...great day! I tail you regularly....I am tailing again today. thx

Great start to the week, Silky:clapping::thumbsup:

Wow - what a UCLA_Utah write up.

Are you doing any write up on tonite's two games ?

Nevada +5.5 @ SdSt

Stat that Stands Out

1/7.5

Thats SdSt's "misery" index. Whats a misery index? Its Pass att / (sacks+ints). Or just a simple way for me to see what ratio do bad things happen every dropback a team has. SdSt is either picked off or sacked EVERY 7.5att!!! Thats just awful, for a quick comparison lets check Nevada. Having played both FSU & UCLA, Nevada's misery index is 1/20.25att. Quick math tells us that SdSt is having something go awry on passe at least 2.7x more than Nevada. Thats a really LARGE multiple in game in which that team is favored by 2FGs. In fact that team better damned sight be a fucking defensive machine, amazing on special teams &force a ton of turnovers.............SdSt doesnt do any of that.

On The Ground

Nevada aint the ground force it once was, this team once averaged over 250yds/gm rushing annually. Now they average around 183. Everything is the same except Chris Ault, some of this was to be expected but its still quite a dropoff. But lets not write the epitaph on Nevada's run game, they still gets the damn thing done on the ground. I keep harping on them having played FSU & UCLA, and i do so because I think they are 2 of the top teams in the land. And to see that even after seeing both of them Nevada is still averaging almost 2 bills/gm on the ground, Im impressed. The main parts of this pistol offense are Kendall Brock & Cody Fajardo, quite a 1/2 punch in the backfield. Fajardo is a 1man total offense machine, racks up yds both rushing & passing in a hurry. He was hurt in the FSU game but is back and appears to be at full strength. Brock was also injured during the FSU game but is back now. By now everyone knows about/understands the pistol formation (i hope). Its a short shotgun formation with the RB behind the QB as opposed to beside him, which then allows teams to run their base plays including Playactions & power game from the shotgun. The genius of the Ault family pistol offense is that it has basically taken the best aspects of Dennis Erickson's 1back offense, sprinkled elements of the Zone Running game & bolted on the Read Option components that Oregon uses. What you get is a pretty dynamic offense. What you'll see is a lot of inside zone, outside zone/stretch, RO, Play action and even some power. Its a very NFL style running game.

Defensively Nevada aint shit vs the run. No I mean that, they aint shit! 3 teams have rushed for over 340yds vs Nevada...........They've only played 5 games lol Aint much to say about em actually, they give up damn near 270/gm on the ground. disgusting & I normally never bet on a team that gets housed like that on the ground.

But........SdSt cant run the damn ball. Maybe playing Nevada will be that chance they need to show they can run, but I doubt it. This is a team that runs 36att/gm & gets 118yds/gm. That aint gon get it against FCS teams, so it damn sure wont get it vs a team that themselves can move the ball. Adam Muema LY's leading rusher with 1458yds aint getting much done this year, maybe he's hurt. I dont know, but something aint right. And without Muema, this ground game dont work period.

Defensively SdSt is smoke & mirrors vs the run. The numbers say just 121yds/gm, but look closer. That average is all about having played 2 of the worst rushing offense in the nation and well, letting them be awful. In the 2 other SdSt games tOSU (263) & Eastern Illinois a FCS (172), they got mollywhopped. Holding Oregon St & New Mex St to 50yds combined is good, but almost every team those 2 have played have done the same. This is all to say I think Nevada's run game looks a lot more like Eastern Illy & tOSU than Ore st & New Mex St.

Through the Air

SdSt passes for good ydg/gm but at an awful comp % & even worse YPA. This is normally an indication of a team that is either getting blown out or is having to constantly score because the defense is giving up points. Both have been true thus far for SdSt. Either way it definitely is on indication of a stable, efficient passing game that can thoroughly beat anyone. In other words SdSt's best facet on the offensive end, actually does its best to keep the other team in the game. Strange & ironic. The 2 main guys (47% of catches) are Ezell Ruffin & Colin Lockett. If the ball is in the air, its probably going to them, that may be part of the problem. Because if I know that, Im sure CFB defensive coaches know that too. Add the fact that SdSt cant run the ball & you get teams able to lay back in cover 2 & double up on the outside, making it harder on the QB to complete passes. Which then leads too..........You guessed it "misery": Sacks & Ints.

On the otherside of the ball it gets no better for SdSt, teams are completing 68% of passes, for 284yds/gm at 6.9ypa. The ypa number isnt exactly gorgeous but its right at the cusp of what I call successful (7.0ypa+). What I see from this though is teams are able to complete high efficiency passes vs SdSt & they can do nothing. More often than not that means the underneath coverage (LBs) is lacking. Teams are simply sending WRs down the field to carry the safeties, then dissecting the Aztecs underneath over & over. Basically teams are in effect making the passing game be the running game vs SdSt, which then explains the weird rush defense numbers SdSt has. IT gets worse, teams have a 10/1 Td/Int ration vs SdSt. So not only do they not stop you from passing, but they also do not pick you off. Hmmmm

Nevada, when Fajardo plays is a dangerous passing team. We know Air Force has no defense, but the kid put a gem vs them anyways: 38/54 70.4% 389yds 7.2ypa 3tds 0int. THATS a fucking statline! For the season the team is completing 66% 254.5yds/gm at 7ypa. I again remind you, they played FSU & UCLA. Nevada has 4 main receiving targets, 3 WRs & a TE. As most of their formations are 11 personnel (1Te 1Rb 3Wrs), it makes sense that the pass distribution is what it is. Its alot of the Dennis Erickson 1back passing game & its effective. And its tailor made to go against a team that struggles with underneath coverage........Hmmmm. You see the Fl & SE go clearing out the safeties, then you get the TE & slot guy running crossers in front & behind the LBs. Bad news for SdSt. Attach some Pistol Play action to hold the feet of the LBs and you have a recipe for Nevada to do some major passing damage underneath. Bring those safeties down to help out the underneath game & you get the WRs running 1 on1 after Play action deep down the field.All on top of having to stop this running game, very difficult task.

Good news for SdSt is Nevada isnt special in pass D and can be had. Problem is the guys who have "had" them are: Brett Hundley & Jameis Winston and I dont see anybody like that on SdSt's roster. The Wolfpack D has a very good 7td/8int ratio, so if you get 1 they normally get it back.In otherwords you better be a high efficiency team to make a living in the air vs Nevada.

What I See

I think SdSt is ordered from central casting for Nevada. While SdSt may slow down the run game, I think Fajardo will do damage in the air. Nevada is an awful defense themselves so SdSt will have ample opportunity to get on track. The key issue here is the misery index, 1/7.5att SdSt is picked off or sacked, its damn neaqar impossible to cover a spread as a fave when you have that type of ratio & its almost 3x as high as your opponent. That means you are giving the ball back to them either by int or failing on 3rd down from sacks & yds. The score could get a lil high here, but Im going to go with the team that has the QB that is the walking Total offense machine.

​Nevada 41 SdSt 37

silky bol nice hit

Thanks bro, make sure you get some good pics & stories from Vegas, you we are going to want to see & hear your adentures

Great start to the week, Silky:clapping::thumbsup:

Wow - what a UCLA_Utah write up.

Are you doing any write up on tonite's two games ?

Just did a small 1 on Nevada, hope you like

Thanks for the response. BOL on all your plays.

J

Thanks bro, the same to you. Lets make some money

damn Silk...great day! I tail you regularly....I am tailing again today. thx
:thumbsup2: lets make you some money then bruh

Good luck Silk. On Iowa with you and leaning heavy on Mizzou. Thinking about putting cincy in a teaser vs shit Florida...move thru 10 7 6. Hope you have a big ass weekend.

Thanks. Silky Great stuff, again. You have convinced me that my lean made good sense. Now just let's hope we cash it. :cheers:

Sorry to be locking horns with you on the other game.

GL this weekend

Back