SEC preseason notes and week one

Youuuuuuu rang???

Arky prob gonna be pretty volatile again. Shame that my boy Allen may get the OL shored up just in time for the receivers to do a reset. The guy on their defense that they lost early last year that they couldn't afford to lose was Dre Greenlaw and he's back. I don't think their totals will be a whole lot higher than most. TCU, aTm and NM State totals will all be pretty high but thats prob for pretty good reason. Short on time, they prob didnt get better. Defense prob improves some and offense may take slight step back. aTm is only west team that for sure got worse

I'm surprised that Arkansas fans have been this patient with Bert. He should send Hugh Freeze a Christmas card or hooker or whatever every year for keeping him employed.

LSU scrimmage wrap ups from some folks be posted soon.

Defense should be good....next year I expect a 2011 type....nasty nasty

Danny at QB is about the same....Myles Brennan pushing for the 2 spot early.....they say this kid is the goods

<header id="SideTop-0-HeadComponentTitle" class="canvas-header" data-reactid="2">[h=1]Florida suspends 7 players for Michigan game[/h]</header>

5e36b420-e8ca-11e6-b629-db5ce4f7d209_sports-sociallogo.png

Nick Bromberg
Dr. Saturday<time class="date Fz(11px) Mb(4px) D(ib)" datetime="2017-08-13T20:58:33.000Z" itemprop="datePublished" data-reactid="14" style="display: inline-block; zoom: 1; font-size: 11px; margin-bottom: 4px;">Aug 13, 2017, 3:58 PM</time>
<iframe src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets/follow_button.html?screen_name=nickbromberg&show_screen_name=false&show_count=false" class="Bdw(0) Ov(h) W(64px) H(24px) D(n)--sm Mt(6px)" scrolling="no" frameborder="0" data-reactid="15" style="border-width: 0px; zoom: 1; height: 24px; margin-top: 6px; overflow: hidden; width: 64px;"></iframe>

<article itemprop="articleBody" data-uuid="1445aea0-4bd1-312e-8d04-7279286cdd0e" data-type="story" data-reactid="9"><figure class="canvas-image Mx(a) canvas-atom Mt(0) Mt(20px)--sm Mb(24px) Mb(22px)--sm" data-type="image" itemscope="" itemprop="associatedMedia image" itemtype="https://schema.org/ImageObject" data-reactid="10" style="margin: 0px auto 24px; max-width: 100%;">
59a16479cdbff1963b8213c6c9b25375

<figcaption class="C(#787d82) Fz(13px) Py(5px) Lh(1.5)" title="Antonio Callaway (Getty Images)" data-reactid="17" style="color: rgb(120, 125, 130); line-height: 1.5; padding-top: 5px; padding-bottom: 5px;">Antonio Callaway (Getty Images)
</figcaption><button class="C($c-fuji-blue-1-b) Cur(p) W(100%) T(63px) Bgc(#fff) Ta(start) Fz(13px) P(0) Bd(0) O(0) Lh(1.5) Pos(a)" data-reactid="19" style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); overflow: visible; margin: 0px; cursor: pointer; font-size: 13px; font-family: &quot;Helvetica Neue&quot;, Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; line-height: 1.5; border-width: 0px; border-style: initial; border-color: initial; color: rgb(0, 129, 242); outline: 0px; top: 63px; padding: 0px; position: absolute; text-align: left; width: 600px;">More</button>

</figure>[FONT=&quot]Florida said seven players have been suspended for the Gators’ season-opening game vs. Michigan.
Included in the group is wide receiver Antonio Callaway, Florida’s leading receiver in 2016.
“We have a small group of players that have made some choices that are extremely disappointing,” Florida coach Jim McElwain said in a statement. “Action has been taken – they have missed some practice and will miss the Michigan game. We will use this as a learning opportunity and we will have some players step up as we move forward.”
The other players suspended are defensive end Keivonnis Davis, defensive tackle Richerd Desir-Jones, linebacker James Houston, linebacker Ventrell Miller, defensive lineman Jordan Smith and offensive lineman Kadeem Telfort.
Per ESPN, a school official said the seven “were suspended for using school-issued, cost-of-attendance credit cards to buy electronics from the school bookstore and then selling those items for cash. The electronics were considered impermissible items for the players to buy with their cost-of-attendance cards.”
Callaway was cited for pot possession earlier this spring. He was suspended in 2016 but reinstated to the team after a Title IX investigation regarding an accusation of sexual assault. According to the Tampa Bay Times, a second Title IX investigation by the federal government has been opened and it appears to be releated to Callaway’s case at the school.
Davis had 27 tackles and 1.5 sacks in 2016 and he and the other suspended players are projected backups for the Gators.
Callaway had 54 catches for 721 yards and three touchdowns in 2016. He was also the Gators’ primary punt returner. Without Callaway, Florida’s top receiver heading into the Sep. 2 game vs. the Wolverines at the Dallas Cowboys’ AT&T Stadium is Brandon Powell. He had 45 catches for 387 yards a year ago.

[/FONT]

</article>

LSU QB Lindsey Scott Jr transferring out of LSU

I guess when Brennan and Lowell got in town he saw the writing

Good kid, like him a bunch. Maybe Tulane? Or if that Hahhhhhvad scholly still on the table, take that.

Any noteworthy notes from scrimmages?

For Alabama, both Bo Scarborough and Josh Jacobs missed the scrimmage on Saturday. Bo has been dealing with an illness, not considered to be serious. I've heard it could be migraines. Jacobs has a relatively serious hamstring injury. Won't be a long term thing, but will most likely hurt his preparation for FSU, so I wouldn't expect him to play much, if at all in week 1. I don't attend scrimmages, but hear from those that do, and the consensus so far is that the defense is ahead of the offense at this point, which is pretty typical for Alabama anyway, but considering a new OC w/ a new offense is completely understandable. Now it may be homerish, but the talk is that there won't be a substantial drop off from last season's defensive production. Not sure I'm buying that, but I do expect Alabama to have one of the nation's best defenses this season, just not as good as last year. Hurts was impressive in scrimmage 1, but the second scrimmage he struggled. Worth noting that the 1st team offense goes against 1st team defense. I've heard that this might be the fastest defense that Saban has had at Alabama, more response to teams that run the more up tempo offenses, but I wonder if we lose something in the power run defense. But LSU is the only team on our schedule that has run that type of offense lately, and now they have a new OC.

Speaking of our new OC, I heard an interview w/ Minkah Fitzpatrick last week and they asked him what he noticed was different about this year's offense compared to last year. He didn't get into philosophy, but he said that they are more disciplined and organized. Last year they would make mistakes they knew they shouldn't but there wasn't a lot of accountability to get it fixed, whereas this year, they are much more detail oriented. Not shocking considering the last OC, but interesting to hear it from a player.

Word around Knoxville is that there may be some suspensions coming soon. It may get pushed under the rug or *cough* *cough* wait until after the GT gm.
Jennings may one of them. But it sure is being kept quite so far

I'm just going to post my plays in this thread this season.

Week 1 so far
Florida Atlantic +13.5
Notre Dame -15
North Carolina -12.5
Added:
South Florida -20.5 (week 0)
Boston College -2.5 (-115)
Wyoming +12.5
Kentucky -10
UTSA +12.5
Troy +12.5
Wisconsin -28.5 (.5 unit)
Old Dominion -15.5 (-120)

ALSO:

For the LSU folks that say how in the ever living FUCK haven't you all found a good QB.....

It is coming........yezzir, a couple even maybe a cookin'!!

Added:
South Florida -20.5 (week 0)
Wyoming +12.5
Kentucky -10
UTSA +12.5
Troy +12.5

With you on USF and BC

I laid the 12 with y'alls boys. Any thoughts on it as we approach kick? I just am struggling to find ways that BYU does much scoring and I'm counting on the coaching edge LSU has (Gasp!) with Canada to figure out how to beat the plodders in space. I'm calling Foster Moreau with a pair of TDs! He's a sweet college fantasy sleeper this year, I think.

CK. Do you play college fantasy anywhere?
I've been looking around to find a good site for it. I did an SEC/ACC only league last year, and it was really fun.

I've been looking around to find a good site for it. I did an SEC/ACC only league last year, and it was really fun.
I do. All of the leagues I'm playing in are hosted on fantrax.com

I'm in a few really unique formats.

SEC/Sunbelt only
Power 5 Only
Group of 5 Only
Dynasty league NCAA/NFL hybrid (50 NCAA players that will eventually go to my NFL team)

Let me check around with a few people I know to see if I can find any open leagues - you have a preference on format?

I'm surprised that Arkansas fans have been this patient with Bert. He should send Hugh Freeze a Christmas card or hooker or whatever every year for keeping him employed.
I spoke to my one friend who is pretty heavy into Arky life

he says he isn't sure why no one is talking about them being a sleeper in the SEC

He says the QB looks all world....I think they lost one O line man....

he has seen with his eyes he says...

I spoke to my one friend who is pretty heavy into Arky life

he says he isn't sure why no one is talking about them being a sleeper in the SEC

He says the QB looks all world....I think they lost one O line man....

he has seen with his eyes he says...
I've been trying to talk about the Allen's since his older bro, Brandon, was slangin' it. He's so under appreciated. Tough as hell, too. He and Francois at FSU took some shots last year that would have put me in permanent retirement from football but they finished the games...

They aren't a sleeper though at all, IMO. I feel like I've championed Arky as much as anybody I know over past few years but at best they slightly improve from last year. I suppose if the defense makes a huge leap and the ground game gets back to where it needs to be they will be more a contender but I just don't think they nor aTm got better - as far as West teams go. So many teams in the SEC improved this year. Should put to rest the best conference discussion as least for this season. QB play was real bad in SEC last year and now it's a legit strength. May not have the NFL upside of the PAC12 but there are some really good QBs in the conf this year, assuming they take the next step which I think they have/will.

With you on USF and BC

I laid the 12 with y'alls boys. Any thoughts on it as we approach kick? I just am struggling to find ways that BYU does much scoring and I'm counting on the coaching edge LSU has (Gasp!) with Canada to figure out how to beat the plodders in space. I'm calling Foster Moreau with a pair of TDs! He's a sweet college fantasy sleeper this year, I think.
I think LSU will really pound teams without good run defenses and a strong edge rush. The thing I've seen with Canada's offense is the motion and the way they block certain fronts opens up a lot of gaping cut back or bounce opportunities and it really fits Guice's style. Brennan is the real deal and I think they'll let him chunk it around a bit in games before true garbage time hits. I'll probably look to play them in the Chattanooga, Syracuse, Troy type games.

I have a hard time laying a number week 1 with the OL depth issues and with how much time some of them have missed in camp. It wouldn't take much for there to be 3 freshmen on the field at the same time, and I worry about communication issues / blitz pickup since the starters haven't worked together a lot yet.

Agree about BYU scoring. If the corners are consistent this defense will be better than last year. They're much more athletic and deeper, even without Key for now.

Good pick with Moreau given those red zone option plays Canada has shown in the past with the TE as the inside pitch man.

How much of an advantage for BYU is it that they get a real game in before playing LSU? I guess it could be seen as an advantage for LSU too in that they will have actual game film to study while not affording BYU the same.

How much of an advantage for BYU is it that they get a real game in before playing LSU? I guess it could be seen as an advantage for LSU too in that they will have actual game film to study while not affording BYU the same.
I'd say advantage BYU. I've heard numerous coaches talk about the exponential growth of their teams from week 1 to 2 to 3. As a LSU backer, I'm glad that BYU won't have any film of Canada running his offense with how he plans to utilize his skills guys. His ability, in general, to create mismatches on a play by play basis is what makes him as good as he is. There are going to be a lot of plays where the design of it gets a BYU defender with an LSU skill guy in space and I can say with certainty that BYU doesn't have guys on the practice squad to simulate that! Kalani Siitake seems like a nice fella but if Les Miles were still pacing the sideline with any of his staffs at LSU, I would still give LSU a considerable coaching edge and I think Les was one of the worst I'd seen at game management.

Last edited:
I think the biggest thing there is getting the first game mistakes out of the way, the film issue is probably a wash. BYU shouldn't have to show much on offense but I wouldn't want Aranda to have a look at any of my guys even if I was playing a junior high team. Maybe the potential for more pre snap type penalties for the LSU offense with the typical first game stuff coupled with all of the shifts and motion. There was still a little confusion and a couple ineligible receiver downfield penalties in the scrimmage last weekend.

Guy contacted me about a $25 league that drafts tonight at 9 PM. All conferences - 14 team league. Time is of essence so if you want in, I can connect you.

Francois is tough as nails, much was on him being a RsFr, but there were line issues as well. He'll be asked to do more as he loses Rudolph, Cook & Rod Johnson the LT. Line should be better but not good enough for Bama. They'll lean on the system, Francois' growth & Nyquan Murray. Jumbo can scheme enough offense to keep things close enough for a big time player to make a big time play. Maybe Akers?

Defensively is where they should shine, O will be hit or miss. The D projects to be enough to not let Bama do Bama things in the 2nd half. The issue is, mobile QBs shred FSU (Lamar Jackson anyone?). Should be a dope game, I give advantage to Bama on talent and familiarity with this type of opener. Wildcard is Derwin, he's special, like game hanging special and FSU's FG tea. I'm never confident in the punters at FSU. Yards there could be the key.

Its an opener, new OC at Bama but from similar tree so shouldn't be a drastic change (safer yes, but many of the same Kiffin Pro spread principles, just run/called less daringly).

As of now I'd say Bama 27 FSU 20 something like that. Jimbo has a habit of taking FGs Instead of trying for TDs in iffy spots, Saban goes for the throat. That's the difference

Even though Hurts' downfield passing game still looked horrendous in last Saturday's scrimmage, I still have the feeling this game goes OVER 49.5.

Need to compile everything into one post, but also added:
Hawaii ML +125 (.5 unit)
Stanford -30.5
Georgia -13.5

I added Purdue at 25 a couple days ago and left it out of the list for some reason, I believe 26 is available now.

Week 0/1
South Florida -20.5
Hawaii ML +125 (.5 unit)
Colorado State o32.5
Stanford -30.5
Stanford o41

Florida Atlantic +13.5
Notre Dame -15
North Carolina -12.5
Wyoming +12.5
Kentucky -10
UTSA +12.5
Troy +12.5
Purdue +25
Georgia -13.5

Adding Colorado State +6.5. Kicking myself for not pulling the trigger on 7 or better when it was available, but I don't think it will get back there this week.

@JimmyHyams: Tennessee junior linebacker Darrin Kirkland Jr. suffered a knee injury Friday and is expected to miss up to 6 weeks, sources said

HUGE injury right there.

LSU buddy of mine just told me they moved LSU / BYU to Nashville? @ Nissan Stadium. Anyone heard this yet?
I will see what I can find out here

LSU buddy of mine just told me they moved LSU / BYU to Nashville? @ Nissan Stadium. Anyone heard this yet?
I will see what I can find out here

THey should move the game to the Sun Bowl. Anything east is going to get a visit they may not want.
Of course, Texas has wore Harvey down. He won't be the same after he leaves.

Adding Vanderbilt -3.5 and Northwestern -23.5. Really busy work schedule over the next couple days so that's probably it until team totals Saturday.

@JimmyHyams: Tennessee junior linebacker Darrin Kirkland Jr. suffered a knee injury Friday and is expected to miss up to 6 weeks, sources said

HUGE injury right there.

Especially considering the opponent and having gone through an entire offseason with option prep for week 1 and his position on the D.

MOT you hearing anything?

I heard this rumor a while ago about LSU but now it is getting around heavy...

@JimmyHyams: UT coach Butch Jones announces OT Drew Richmond won't play in opener, suspended due to violation of team rules. Marcus Tatum to start at OT

Vols down another starter

Back