SEC preseason notes and week one

I just finished my first run through PRs. Does anyone else have very little separation outside of the top 5? I have Alabama comfortably in front of the second tier. Then Auburn, Florida, Georgia, and LSU grouped together. After that I have the remaining 9 relatively close. Maybe I would put Tennessee in a 3rd tier on their own and Vanderbilt in a 5th tier by themselves, with everyone else in the 4th.

Big LSU storyline is obviously the coaching change. On the field it is the status of Arden Key. He was away from the team in the Spring and had shoulder surgery late. It doesn't sound like he'll be ready for camp or the start of the season.

I expect a lot of the same on offense. Guice will have a big year and they'll pound teams that can't stop the run, and probably struggle with those who can. If nothing else Canada will bring more window dressing. I would be interested to hear thoughts on him from anyone who followed the ACC closely, specifically how he may use some of the big, athletic outside targets. I expect he'll get the ball to Chark in various ways but wondering how, or if, the inexperienced guys on the outside will be involved down the field.

Here are my initial PR lines for week 1. Does anyone know where I can find the full season rotation?

Auburn -38.5
South Carolina +3
Florida Pick
Kentucky -13.5
Georgia -24.5 (looks like I'm off on one or both of these teams)
Ole Miss -25
Alabama -4.5
Vanderbilt -6.5
LSU -14
Texas A&M +7 (probably a little high on UCLA)
Tennessee -4.5

canada is really good. i'd expect significant improvement, esp later in the year.
Ill piggy back some of MOT, but go here too

what can we really expect to see? I think MOT asks about the big Outside targets because that is what we used to recruit(still do kinda).... Some expect WR/Slot guys to thrive (like Gage, right MOT?)....all we have heard is the TE use and FB too and jet sweeps....But I am curious how he modifies this with more NFL talent and the QBs that he likes....

I am intersted in LSU this year more from a "thank The Lord Miles is gone" than actually expecting results....

anyone bullish on LSU this year?

i expect the young guns in the Safety positions to be plating more than the older guys that are listed as starters....how long that takes? I hope sooner than later....as most do

the O line should be ok....but can't afford injuries. It has been a point of contention that LSU has consistently recruited Guards and the make the play Tackle and center.....so that squad should be ok! nothing great

LB was a position of need last year and it was fuckin DEFCON level million.....then the class turned into a stud bunch on paper....we will see if they can play. Devin White looks the deal, Divinity slid out, but the senior is ehhhhh....BUT if Aranda has shown anything so far....he can coach this position way the fuck up....see Debo and the others that got drafted super higher and played way better than before he arrived

DBU continues and shouldn't miss a beat....I'm not a Donte fan and I am glad Tolliver isn't in the dog house and hurt, but both are super talented....expect Greedy Williams to get time too and Fulton and on and on

WR is interesting....like MOT said, Chark is the 1.....will Dee come around? Drake? Gage as mentioned? An unknown, but could be a surprise

TE.....the talked about position on Offense forever it seems with LSU....not utilized, ever. will Canada change that? Many hope and he is advertised as that being an important position as FB is.

QB.....It is Etling for better or worse. I wouldn't mind seeing the other kids in, but this will be the guy...

so is anyone on the wave? I'm very hesitant....Schedule isn't friendly

canada is probably the best i've seen at using motion to get the defense to do what he wants. he's playing chess while they're playing checkers. now give him some NFL talent....i'd be pretty pumped, twink. two top notch coordinators - just need the hillbilly to leave them alone.

Hand DUI --

Miss a series or two?

Senior Alabama defensive lineman Da’Shawn Hand was arrested early Saturday morning on changes of driving under the influence.
He is being held on a $1,000 bond
Hand is expected to be a valuable member of Alabama’s defensive line this year. He came to Alabama as the top prep player in the country.
As a junior he played in all 15 games, recording 21 tackles, including 11 tackles for loss and two sacks.
Alabama opens fall camp Thursday. Hand has not faced public discipline during his time in the program
<iframe frameborder="0" src="https://tpc.googlesyndication.com/safeframe/1-0-9/html/container.html" id="google_ads_iframe_/11564835/tuscaloosanews.com/tidesports.com/Football_4" title="3rd party ad content" name="" scrolling="no" marginwidth="0" marginheight="0" width="300" height="250" data-is-safeframe="true" style="box-sizing: border-box; max-width: 100%; border-width: 0px; border-style: initial; vertical-align: bottom;"></iframe>

More info to come…

I'm just going to post my plays in this thread this season.

Week 1 so far
Florida Atlantic +13.5
Notre Dame -15
North Carolina -12.5

Hand DUI --

Miss a series or two?

Who knows? He's never been in trouble before this as far as I know, so he may not be suspended at all. Kind of depends on how he responds. As serious as DUI is, I'm still glad it wasn't anything with a gun or assaulting a woman

Who knows? He's never been in trouble before this as far as I know, so he may not be suspended at all. Kind of depends on how he responds. As serious as DUI is, I'm still glad it wasn't anything with a gun or assaulting a woman

I guess I should have expounded more...what is the precedent there for DUI?

Always seemed like a good kid throughout his recruitment so kinda one I root for from afar a bit.

I guess I should have expounded more...what is the precedent there for DUI?

Depends on the player. If it's a first offense, it's usually handled internally. If the kid is a problem, may be some suspension. Last year Alphonse Taylor got a dui and was suspended for USC. But think his wasn't booze and he'd been in Nick's doghouse before

Not that it matters, but the story I've heard on Hand is that he was found asleep in his car parked near wherever he had been drinking. The car was off, but key was in the ignition. If that is actually true, then I doubt the DUI charge sticks. Probably plead to public intox and pay a fine and community service. Doubt he'd miss a snap from that

Not that it matters, but the story I've heard on Hand is that he was found asleep in his car parked near wherever he had been drinking. The car was off, but key was in the ignition. If that is actually true, then I doubt the DUI charge sticks. Probably plead to public intox and pay a fine and community service. Doubt he'd miss a snap from that

some law in Bama and I think in LA too....if you got the keys on you, it aint good

5 star LSU recruit Jacoby Stevens moving to WR.....had 31 offers from everyone to play S

that is how nasty they think Delpit and Todd Harris already are

Jacoby is from here in Nashville. Your main concern for him is getting him to go to class. And when or if he does he needs to pass next
He is a stud though and can play QB or wherever honestly, he's that good
A guy I work w/ daughter was a cheerleader at his high school so I've heard a ton about him

Last edited:
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]I dug around and wanted to pass along some notes on former five-star JaCoby Stevens and his move from S to WR.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]To set the stage, he was an early-enrollee who came in with another safety this past January in Grant Delpit. They both worked exclusively at safety during the spring, and we got a chance to see both in the spring game. With the arrival of fall camp, the coaching staff approached Stevens about moving - for now - to wide receiver. Here are some reasons why, and in no real particular order.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]They have good safety depth ….[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]John Battle and Ed Paris were the starters for most of the spring at safety, and they are both veterans now. It’s evident Delpit looks the part and will play some role as a true freshman this year. Then you are bringing both Eric Monroe and Cameron Lewis off their redshirt seasons, and Monroe was once the No. 1 safety in high school ball. It wasn’t a ton last year where we saw them go beyond the two-deep at safety unless someone got injured, and right now they could have a top four that includes Battle-Paris-Delpit-Monroe, most likely.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]They need some help at WR …[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]The only player with real experience across an entire season is DJ Chark. Ed Orgeron has pretty much come out and said a few times that Chark will be the No. 1 guy, then Russell Gageand Drake Davis as two other guys who are looking at starting jobs. He did challenge Davis to step up and focus on everything he needed to, and he said the same for Dee Anderson. He then added that they would be relying on Stephen Sullivan and Derrick Dillon to have big camps and be ready to play. Then you toss in the two freshmen in Racey McMath and Mannie Netherly, who enrolled early and was part of all of spring ball. McMath is entering his first camp, but Orgeron already said he’s been impressed by his summer workouts. Still, there’s two guys with real game experience, and that’s Chark and Gage. The competition is pretty open, and since Canada will be not only utilizing three and four wide receiver sets, but also getting a lot of different guys into the game, Orgeron harped on how they will need everyone. It’s a big camp for the receiver group, for sure.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Getting Stevens on the field …[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]The staff isn’t wanting to just leave an elite athlete sitting because there is quality depth. And with there being some open space for competition at wide receiver, they felt the move was a good one. Stevens finished up high school ranked as the No. 1 safety prospect in the country, but he was also ranked as the No. 1 athlete in the country because Barton Simmons (more on that in a minute) just felt like he could do it all. He was already thriving as a HS defensive back, wide receiver and return man. When schools focused in on him at safety because that’s what he wanted to play coming out of high school, his ranking was switched from ATH to S.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]It doesn’t have to be permanent …[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]We’ve seen plenty of guys work on both sides of the ball before, especially if they are a talented athlete who fits into that WR/DB mold. Orgeron noted that the move is not necessarily permanent, but it’s something that they are trying for now. When talking to a source close to Stevens, I’m told they feel like for this year, it’s the best move. They could use him more at WR than DB right now. We will see how things go the rest of camp. He could be the type to turn in some huge plays in a weekend scrimmage and really up his stock even more. Again, a switch back to safety down the line is an obvious possibility, but they are going to let him show his skills on offense right now. They feel like with his smarts and versatility, he’s got a shot to contribute.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]It came down to being unselfish …[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]When the staff approached Stevens about the move, a source told me he was very receptive. His response was along the lines of “whatever helps the team win”. Remember, this is a guy who was Mr. Everything on his high school team, helped carry them to a 14-0 season and got them all the way to the state title game, where they fell short of the first perfect season in Oakland’s program history. He’s a guy who wants to be on the field helping the team, and he wants to be winning. He’s not used to much else, so he was fully on board for whatever makes them better.[/FONT]

Jacoby can catch the ball for sure, great hands And he is a leaper.
I think it was a great move, but that staff knows what they are doing anyways

[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]The LSU football team is now officially down one key offensive starter as fall camp gets rolling.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]On Wednesday morning, LSU head coach Ed Orgeron announced that he had suspended starting right guard Maea Teuhema indefinitely for a violation of team rules. [/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Teuhema had missed the first two days of fall camp for what Orgeron described as academic troubles. Teuhema, a two-year starter for the Tigers, is entering his junior season in Baton Rouge.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]LSU practiced both backup center Lloyd Cushenberry and sophomore guard Donavaughn Campbell at the right guard spot on Monday and Tuesday, with Campbell seeing action as a backup guard during his freshman year last season. LSU has junior Garrett Brumfield working at left guard and Will Clapp at center, with K.J. Malone and Toby Weathersby at left and right tackle, respectively.[/FONT]

I put a few bucks on OM new HC:

Blake Anderson 7/1
Mike Norvell 10/1
Matt Luke 16/1
Neal Brown 16/1

Man, what a mess that whole deal is. Talent coupled with scheme is good enough on offense to still be a factor in the league but I wonder what happens after this season if they let guys transfer? Could be really ugly.

I put a few bucks on OM new HC:

Blake Anderson 7/1
Mike Norvell 10/1
Matt Luke 16/1
Neal Brown 16/1

Man, what a mess that whole deal is. Talent coupled with scheme is good enough on offense to still be a factor in the league but I wonder what happens after this season if they let guys transfer? Could be really ugly.

Not telling you anything that you don't know, but I think that the value lies with guys like Brown and Luke right now. If the NCAA nukes the program in October then the hire will be made from that tier. The pressure to retain Luke will be hard to resist if he holds the team together and keeps them respectable on the field.

[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]The LSU football team is now officially down one key offensive starter as fall camp gets rolling.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]On Wednesday morning, LSU head coach Ed Orgeron announced that he had suspended starting right guard Maea Teuhema indefinitely for a violation of team rules. [/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]Teuhema had missed the first two days of fall camp for what Orgeron described as academic troubles. Teuhema, a two-year starter for the Tigers, is entering his junior season in Baton Rouge.[/FONT]
[FONT=proxima_nova_rgregular]LSU practiced both backup center Lloyd Cushenberry and sophomore guard Donavaughn Campbell at the right guard spot on Monday and Tuesday, with Campbell seeing action as a backup guard during his freshman year last season. LSU has junior Garrett Brumfield working at left guard and Will Clapp at center, with K.J. Malone and Toby Weathersby at left and right tackle, respectively.[/FONT]

Taking the Honey Badger route

Not telling you anything that you don't know, but I think that the value lies with guys like Brown and Luke right now. If the NCAA nukes the program in October then the hire will be made from that tier. The pressure to retain Luke will be hard to resist if he holds the team together and keeps them respectable on the field.

:shake:

Teuhema officially gone. Attrition has killed the OL depth, 5 players who had eligibility remaining gone since the end of last season. Down to 11 scholarship players.

Just because I have an illness, can GPS and CK and tidehigh or other Bams tell me if they expect these players to play and thoughts on them so far:

Dylan Moses
Christopher Allen
Phidarian Mathis
Isaiah Buggs

Just because I have an illness, can GPS and CK and tidehigh or other Bams tell me if they expect these players to play and thoughts on them so far:

Dylan Moses
Christopher Allen
Phidarian Mathis
Isaiah Buggs

GPS will be your guy for this question.

I am confident Buggs will play. Moses prob will be the killa as freshman on ST's that every Top 50 NFL Pick LB is when they get to Bama. Rite of passage.

Thanks, guys. Wanted to make sure I wasn't too far off. Miss St is getting +11 on the GOYs and I grabbed it.

Dylan Moses
Christopher Allen
Phidarian Mathis
Isaiah Buggs

Moses and Buggs should contribute early, not sure on Allen or Mathis at this point. Think Moses might see the field sooner than some think

Malone, Clapp, and Weathersby were held out of LSU's first scrimmage yesterday. It was mostly as a precaution but with those three out the starters across the OL included three true freshmen and a redshirt freshman.

I have real concerns about Arky.

their totals gonna be set higher than typical for an SEC team..

Sid Breem Supporter?....:)

I have real concerns about Arky.

their totals gonna be set higher than typical for an SEC team..

Sid Breem Supporter?....:)

Youuuuuuu rang???

Arky prob gonna be pretty volatile again. Shame that my boy Allen may get the OL shored up just in time for the receivers to do a reset. The guy on their defense that they lost early last year that they couldn't afford to lose was Dre Greenlaw and he's back. I don't think their totals will be a whole lot higher than most. TCU, aTm and NM State totals will all be pretty high but thats prob for pretty good reason. Short on time, they prob didnt get better. Defense prob improves some and offense may take slight step back. aTm is only west team that for sure got worse

Back