Schembechler dead at 77....

Tim, especially when you consider his first heart attack was in 1970. That's strange enough, to live that much longer.

What makes it doubly odd is that his heart attack was on the eve of him coaching in his first ROSE BOWL!!!

Man, I can see why ESPN is giving this all-day coverage. This is certainly a newsworthy event for sure.

CollegeKingRex said:
Tim, especially when you consider his first heart attack was in 1970. That's strange enough, to live that much longer.

What makes it doubly odd is that his heart attack was on the eve of him coaching in his first ROSE BOWL!!!

Man, I can see why ESPN is giving this all-day coverage. This is certainly a newsworthy event for sure.

What else is goin on today in sports?
Espn has nothin else to show.. i mean they were following the michigan bus on its way to ohio st, tell me how thats exciting tv :down: Yes the guy was legendary and all but more in michigan fans eyes than anywhere else
How many national championships did he win? Zero!!
2 - 8 in the rose bowl

Great coach, but more of a michigan icon in my opinion

abcs said:
What else is goin on today in sports?
Espn has nothin else to show.. i mean they were following the michigan bus on its way to ohio st, tell me how thats exciting tv :down: Yes the guy was legendary and all but more in michigan fans eyes than anywhere else
How many national championships did he win? Zero!!
2 - 8 in the rose bowl

Great coach, but more of a michigan icon in my opinion

That's an interesting take....

It's weird for an tOSU or UM fan to see it that way, but I can see how someone outside the rivalry would see that..

Big, big deal to alot of people though..

Not me personally, but he did have a lot to do w/ the current rivalry along w/ Woody..

Rex I had forgotten he was president of the Tigers organization for a while and worked for the Domino's guy. Not much success for him baseball wise, though he tried hard to improve the facilities, minor league system and conditioning aspects. I kind of got a kick out of his stance on Frieder, not accepting his 3 wks notice, saying an Ariz St. man wasn't going to coach a Michigan team lol...

I forgot to mention RIP bo.. strong character guy.

Still dont rank him that highly as far as college coaches go.

Tim: Yes, that stance was outstanding. So he sends Frieder out to Tempe and proceeds to win the national championship with an assistant.

To this day I'll never understand what Frieder was thinking.

I never said he was a great coach. He was a very, very good coach but an outstanding administrator and did many noteworthy things for the University of Michigsn and the Big 10.

I got an autograph from BO, that says "TO Andy a future qb for the maize and blue" well, that never panned out lol, but it is special to me because of the kind of guy he was...great personality and great coach.

Back