Saratoga Race Course Opening Weekend Discussion....

Good we're back. I believe that was really just a moment of silence for the great people of Greenwood. :prayer

And someone out there had that pick 5 but probably either isn't alive or needs to be resuscitated

:cheers3:

Thanks Lloyd. I've found success in placing twice my win wager on the place bet, just in case I get a good ride but just miss. May not be as lucrative as I think it is but it's bailed me out more than a few times...but my handicapping skills in this sport are less than stellar. What sucks is I can read a program, I just can't translate it to success so I need to pretty much read the board and it feels defensive to say the least.

Thanks Lloyd. I've found success in placing twice my win wager on the place bet, just in case I get a good ride but just miss. May not be as lucrative as I think it is but it's bailed me out more than a few times...but my handicapping skills in this sport are less than stellar. What sucks is I can read a program, I just can't translate it to success so I need to pretty much read the board and it feels defensive to say the least.
It's a common way to bet among pro horse players, especially with longer shots, if you hear someone refer to a ladder bet, it's betting a horse across he board with more on show than place and more on place than win. A lot of ways to play this game, find out what you are most comfortable with and have the most success with

Hear u Lloyd

Kj, capping and betting are 2 completely different things, that's what makes this game so difficult, I think I'm a great horse capper but I am still working on my wagering aspect of the game, I never bet place..just win but whatever works

I feel betting place is betting against my win bet but seem to always run 2nd at prices so I likely would do ok with plc, most contests are WP as well

Also I feel whatever $ I put towards place should've been more money I put on win instead of place as well, everyone different though, whatever works for each individual. .stick with what works for you.

Also I feel whatever $ I put towards place should've been more money I put on win instead of place as well, everyone different though, whatever works for each individual. .stick with what works for you.

I think this is the key. I've been trying to tweak my betting angles to include more multi race bets, had for years been mostly win, exacta and tri's. My biggest hits have been with tri's, but takeout on those bets are tough to beat. I think I am a good capper but only a decent bettor.

I used to bet across the board but didn't find the show bet to be lucrative at all thus I cut back to Win: x and Place: x*2 and quite frankly it's been a savior (saviour up north)

In reality, I don't understand why I can't translate the program to the race, but I've failed over and over and sadly most of my success has been based on board reading, which in reality is betting on other people's handicapping. But I just can't do it well...for the triple crown races this year, I actually spent weeks figuring out the races and it was successful, but the amount of time it took far outweighed the ROI. Then at the Preakness, suddenly the rain dismantled the whole thing and I was able to throw down a very large (for me) win bet on AP to actually make out well, but that put a couple weeks' worth of work out the window.

I do feel like exactas are my best attack other than WP, usually take 3 horses and box and generally do ok that way, but the favourite (eh) is included in there

For years there have been big money guys that can't cap for shit and don't even look at pp's, they just look at rag #'s and make big bets on them and are successful, so many approaches

Well betting Belmont the last couple weeks, I didn't feel comfortable with betting 1-3 on principle, the winning rides seemed to come from the outside

well fuck now I'm down two buck in the contest

Think I got an exacta here at least

Exacta was nice, shoulda trusted my instinct with 9

Your boy Chad having a nice start

Great start for my boy Chad, will be hanging with his family tomorrow as well as Philadelphia Seamus and Pepe2004sox and blakwj20. ..we ballin

Back