Status
Not open for further replies.

VirginiaCavs

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Saquon Barkley
5'11
230 Pounds

Footage watched: vs Pittsburgh (9/9) @ Iowa (9/23) vs Indiana (9/30) vs Michigan (10/21)

Vs Pittsburgh

Strengths: Strong push up the middle. Able to absolutely level smaller defenders. Reliable hands. Able to use speed to beat linebacker outside. Good vision. Bursts through the hole with momentum. Follows blockers well. Difficult match-up for linebackers as a receiver. Agility with which to bounce it outside. Special teams threat.

Vs Pitt: 14 carries. Times met in backfield: two yard loss. Three yard loss. Short loss.

Like to see creativity such as in delayed handoff in order to make the defense expect a pass and create more running room for Barkley.

Vs Iowa:

Ability to juke defenders and bounce it outside for big gains. Shifty in one-on-on. Repeatedly makes the first defender missed, even when blocker misses his assignment. Extremely strong, hard to bring down due to strength and balance. Vertical ability and balance to stay on feet after hurdling defender.

Weakness: bounces it outside where defenders are prepared to tackle him. likewise, on occasion, will run backwards to try to achieve a bigger gain, but just loses yards. I think this is overconfidence.

Vs Iowa: 28 carries. Times met in backfield: short loss. Escapes two defenders in backfield and bounces it outside for nice gain. Eludes two defenders and makes it back to line of scrimmage. Pushes and jukes way back to line of scrimmage. Breaks tackle and heads outside for nice gain. Cut down at line of scrimmage.

Key is to get Barkley out into open space. Love to see him feign a blocking assignment then roll out into flat where he can catch it in open space.

Vs Indiana

Strengths: Obviously has confidence in his speed to break it outside. Hands. Swift cut through a hole, hits hole with momentum. Stiff-arm. Strength to keep pushing and fall forward.

Weaknesses:

20 carries Times met in backfield: (On reception) one-handed grab out of the air, makes first defender miss by intelligently using the defender's momentum to his disadvantage, juke and big gain. Wrapped up behind line of scrimmage. Wrapped up behind line of scrimmage. Wrapped up behind line of scrimmage, stupidly tried to run backwards a bit and cost himself an extra couple yards. Jukes defender and good gain. Wrapped up at line of scrimmage by strong defender + support, but tough to bring down.

Why so many runs out of the shotgun when that makes it harder for offensive line to stave off defensive penetration into backfield?

Vs Michigan

Strengths: -patience and intelligence to have blocker set-up block before changing direction. Ability to meet defender in man coverage. His juke almost broke # 10's ankles.

Weaknesses: Dropped pass when not simply out in the flat (he almost dropped that touchdown pass where he was totally wide open). Needs to stop slipping while making cuts or shifting weight onto front of his feet--happened once this game and again vs Indiana. Running backwards, time wasted not running north-south, especially considering his strength, he seems to reliant on his lateral agility for all the work he puts in the weight room.

Creative play-calling to open up huge hole for Barkley, who has the vision to see it and the breakaway speed. Forces attention form linebackers, in turn makes McSorley more of a running threat.

15 carries. Times met in backfield: pushes towards minimal gain. Again--benefit of using momentum to drive forward out of shotgun. Jukes outside and pushes for decent gain. Makes initial defender miss, but support takes him down in backfield. Jukes initial defender and pushes back to line of scrimmage. Again. Half-jukes out defender, taken down for loss on outside pitch. Turns around from group of four defenders and gets minimal gain. Ran backwards from defender (which turned out not to cost him), met by support for loss.

Summary:

yards after contact: strength and balance.
able to quickly bounce outside past several defenders and is thus difficult to contain
balance and agility with which to quickly make sharp cuts and juke out defenders. juking ability makes him a monster in open space.
incredible at making first defender miss.
For the NFL I think he's going to need to stop dilly-dallying with horizontal running behind the backfield. His athleticism bails him out against a team like Iowa, but in the NFL a lot of his nice gains will be considerable losses behind the line of scrimmage. Doesn't seem too consistent as a blocker.
Nice hands in the flat, but not reliable as a receiver downfield.

I saw some of the big gains that Bryce Love got. With the kind of holes that his offensive line gives him. I never saw those kind of holes for Barkley. I repeatedly saw effective penetration from the defense into the backfield, which makes life a billion times harder for Barkley.

@B.A.R. did you like KJ's post because of its objective content or your personal dislike of Penn State?

I tried to be as objective as possible, depicting his strengths and weaknesses. I'd appreciate it if this topic, which is obviously important since Barkley is a heisman candidate, were approached without indulgence in personal biases. Thanks.

He's not a Heisman candidate

Exactly.

Now, as far as scouting the player...

Here is what we have...

-Great special teams player
-Great in space
-Match-up problem
-Makes electric plays
-Terrible between the tackles
-Seems to be a team player

Exactly.

Now, as far as scouting the player...

Here is what we have...

-Great special teams player
-Great in space
-Match-up problem
-Makes electric plays
-Terrible between the tackles
-Seems to be a team player

How do we have terrible between the tackles. He's strong af and can push and drive forward with momentum. He's adept at cutting back inside as well. I think it's just overconfidence, going too often for the big play, that leads him to bounce it outside so often. That's a flaw

Fair enough. May I ask what you don't like about Barkley?
I don't dislike the guy at all.

I have stated what I haven't liked. The guy gets super hyped up by media etc before he has done anything of substance. You can go back game-by-game last year and other than a few games it was not that impressive overall. To have him basically be the overwhelming favorite to win the Heisman until the last two weeks was ridiculous. It was an odd narrative for sure.

I don't like James Franklin putting his pro career in jeopardy due to injury by playing him in 4th qtrs of blowouts to 'pad stats' sometimes.

He seems like a great guy that is an excellent weapon. When they use him correctly, it is quite the asset. He should never be labeled a RB though.

And, I could care less about his O-Line. Guess what, this team won the B1G last year. They should be 'loaded' at every position. If this were Harbaugh, he would be crucified by the media.

(and yes, I am saying this in jest -- their schollie losses and being an average team caught up to them... a little bit of luck last year helped and having a veteran team has helped).

Is it really an exaggeration to call him a Reggie Bush + the leg strength of AP?
Someone called him the best RB prospect since A.P.

That is when I realized that in 2017 everyone has a platform to say something stupid.

In the right situation in NFL, he can be very good. Send him to a Detroit or Cleveland where they will try and make him a pure RB and he will be lucky to get 800 yards a year.

And, I could care less about his O-Line. Guess what, this team won the B1G last year. They should be 'loaded' at every position. If this were Harbaugh, he would be crucified by the media.

I don't get that. A lesser-qualty back can get more rush yards behind a solid o-line than a better back behind a weak one. Their run blocking stinks, what purpose does discussing a "should" serve?

If your team drafts him they will have failed like Curtis Enis, Curt Warner, Ki-Jana, Larry Johnson, need a bigger list? It's failure. Plain and simple.

If you are an executive of a team and do that, I'll gladly be your opposite. Let's talk business.

Someone called him the best RB prospect since A.P.

That is when I realized that in 2017 everyone has a platform to say something stupid.

In the right situation in NFL, he can be very good. Send him to a Detroit or Cleveland where they will try and make him a pure RB and he will be lucky to get 800 yards a year.

He doesn't have a lot of experience between the tackles partly due to bad blocking and partly due to his often stupid fortune-hunting east-west

What bad running? A flaw in his game? His bad protection?
He is not a good runner, as a pure running back.

He is great in space or out of misdirection. Absolutely magnificent. I can find a guy to get me 15 for 33 or 18 for 46 at any school in the country. And guess what? most of those schools don't get their choice of recruits like Penn State to block for them.

Preseason National Title contenders...

Why does their o-line not block well? You would think someone would have noticed this.

I don't see why you're so strongly insistent on holding it against Barkley for the ineptitude in blocking that "shouldn't" be the case. A lot of preseason hype and hype otherwise is garbage. Ryan Leaf? It's whatever...

What's unbelievable is your grade of the O-Line for Pennsylvania State, like you have them pegged....that's odd because a great back deals and makes shit happen regardless. Figure it out young buck.

I don't see why you're so strongly insistent on holding it against Barkley for the ineptitude in blocking that "shouldn't" be the case. A lot of preseason hype and hype otherwise is garbage. Ryan Leaf? It's whatever...
What does Ryan Leaf have to do with Saquon Barkley?

Reactions: KJ
You literally need to not worry about Penn St players, coaches, former coaches, guys in prison etc...

It gets your blood boiling too much...

All many said on here is the guy was handed a Heisman for doing nothing. That is it. We were not saying he is a bad player. He is in fact, a heck of a player.

Easy enough?

What's unbelievable is your grade of the O-Line for Pennsylvania State, like you have them pegged....that's odd because a great back deals and makes shit happen regardless. Figure it out young buck.

The greatest pure runner ever played behind horrible lines 7 of his 9 years in the league...imagine of he played behind Dallas line in the 90's...wow...records would have shattered...

But, alas, he did not. But, he still averaged 5.0 ypc (top 10 all-time including QB's) behind just brutal lines.

You literally need to not worry about Penn St players, coaches, former coaches, guys in prison etc...

It gets your blood boiling too much...

All many said on here is the guy was handed a Heisman for doing nothing. That is it. We were not saying he is a bad player. He is in fact, a heck of a player.

Easy enough?

Lol I am totally calm. I had no agenda with this thread, but to have an objective discussion about him as a player, strengths, weaknesses, style, etc., with game footage as evidence. I thought the forum capable of talking about him in a rational manner. I have done nothing but contribute. No PSU homerism here, no omfg Barkley is God. Just a player whose footage is available on youtube to watch...

The greatest pure runner ever played behind horrible lines 7 of his 9 years in the league...imagine of he played behind Dallas line in the 90's...wow...records would have shattered...

But, alas, he did not. But, he still averaged 5.0 ypc (top 10 all-time including QB's) behind just brutal lines.

Who?

Ok, so to translate into calm language: Barkley is too reliant on bouncing it outside to succeed behind a poor offensive line where he more often has to run through the tackles. Fair point, I get the comparison to Reggie Bush when you put it like that.

But in terms of evaluating him as a college player...

And to think that his agent is Duds...
Screen-Shot-2017-01-02-at-5.48.34-PM.png

Reactions: KJ
wonder if he Reggie Bush”d the Penn State program
Wow, you never know.

Maybe they give Barkley the Heisman... and somehow O.J. steals it as retribution(for what, who knows?) and it gets sold to some memorabilia dealer who then sets up Barkley at a Vegas Hotel...

That would be a wild twist.

Wow, you never know.

Maybe they give Barkley the Heisman... and somehow O.J. steals it as retribution(for what, who knows?) and it gets sold to some memorabilia dealer who then sets up Barkley at a Vegas Hotel...

That would be a wild twist.

Very possible

Wait, you think he's still in the discussion? LOL I gave you some credit til that post.

He's a shit RB plain and simple, media hype be damned. He's not good. He's ok.

I forget the writer , but it was a prominent college writer say today that’s it’s a two man race between him and mayfield

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back