Saban directly costing coaches their jobs

majent

Oklahoma Sooners
Just my feeling. His incredible success is causing dominoes to fall and others to wobble. Why now after 7 straight seasons of winning the natl title or contending every year? I'm not sure. Maybe 7 yrs is the number that moves the gauge.

Les is 0 for his last 5 v saban. Think the lsu boosters don't think about that? They wanted him gone but the outpouring of support from the players and fans forced the boosters to back off.

Richt finishes top 10 in two of the last four seasons now shown the door.

Spurrier I think just got tired of recruiting against saban much less competing against him on the field, so he basically said F IT.

Saban loses a dominant class 2013 then turns around in 14 and 15 with markedly different teams especially on O, and makes the inaugural playoff then just about to make it year two of 'off.

The guy is a witch. The other brand name schools are reeling trying to figure out a way to compete. McCelwain leaves to CSU yet Bama keeps humming. Next guy gone maybe krby smart to Georgia.

" If u can't beat em then try and get your alum back to hurt their staff and hopefully help yours"

It probably won't matter. Saban always seems to find a way..

Lol sorry but Spurrier isn't even competing with Saban in recruiting. We have plenty of talent to recruit in state and around the surrounding states. He just got lazy and didn't recruit delegating to Jr and Spurrier Jr was in over his head. sorry but that statement is just completely false.

You don't think saban goes after the top guys in south carolina and surrounding states like n carolina amd Georgia? That's incorrect I believe

I believe the name schools in the SEC all recruit the same base of top players, and saban gets more of them

Hi Majent, always good to see a post from you because it's sure to be thought provoking. It was time for a change at Georgia; 2 top 10 finishes in the last 4 years works at Missouri but not at Georgia which has a similar pedigree to Alabama. Getting their teeth kicked in at Athens this year by the Tide pretty much provided the writing on the wall. Same with Miles...he's doing a great job recruiting and I for one think he should keep his job (unlike Richt who I think seems a little burned out) but it's hard to envision him getting his program back on top of the Tide. Another non-competitive game and he seemed to let that beat down linger; there was absolutely no excuse for getting man handled by the Hogs the way they did, at home and at night no less.

Bellicheck same thing; look at the coaching carousel he's created in the AFCe over the years.

You don't think saban goes after the top guys in south carolina and surrounding states like n carolina amd Georgia? That's incorrect I believe

I believe the name schools in the SEC all recruit the same base of top players, and saban gets more of them
Strong point but has little to do with a 70 year old coach retiring that even said after the fact he should have retired last season. Well documented the people SC has passed on that would be impact players.

Just my feeling. His incredible success is causing dominoes to fall and others to wobble. Why now after 7 straight seasons of winning the natl title or contending every year? I'm not sure.

It may be because it's been a while since LSU, UF, or Auburn won a national title. Alabama is, or at least, seems more dominant despite the fact the Mississippi schools have really improved.

Lol sorry but Spurrier isn't even competing with Saban in recruiting. We have plenty of talent to recruit in state and around the surrounding states. He just got lazy and didn't recruit delegating to Jr and Spurrier Jr was in over his head. sorry but that statement is just completely false.

Agreed. There is a bit of competition, but it has little impact on the USC program.

Horses, always a pleasure Sir. I hear u about richt and they've been wanting him out for years but why no after 2010 after b2b unranked seasons? He already had 10 yrs in Athens and saban won the championship in 09. That woulda been the time. Why delay the inevitable for 5 more yrs and let him win another 40ish games with two top 10 finished, then whack him? ?

What killed Richt was....

Since he took over at UGA, the following schools have played for at least two national titles. Auburn, Florida, Alabama, LSU. Those are the schools within the SEC that UGA believes they are on par with. Either they keep Richt and admit they are second tier with the likes of Ole Miss and Arkansas or they try and go find someone who can win a championship even if it means a few rough seasons and potentially another firing.

It may be because it's been a while since LSU, UF, or Auburn won a national title. Alabama is, or at least, seems more dominant despite the fact the Mississippi schools have really improved.

Lsu win 07. Fla 08. Auburn 2010. That's not a ton of time between titles these days but I guess when bama is winning multiples in the same span

Agreed. There is a bit of competition, but it has little impact on the USC program.
Definitely. If we want to get into the nitty gritty of the people I can easily get into SC recruiting and we have only competed on a few players over the past 4 years. Spurrier problem was personnel between firing multiple top recruiters, naming Jr head recruiter over Graham, coming off 2 11 win seasons he got complacent and shit hit the fan last year.

Not really disagreeing with a whole lot in initial post but the Spurrier comment is just way off base. If Spurrier was afraid to lose to someone it was Dabo again or Kentucky or Tennessee, not Saban. We would have to make it to Atlanta to really worry about Saban. Spurrier was 7-5 against Alabama. I do not think he was that scared of them.

Usually don't get that fired up but lets not feed the beast with ignorant comments.

He's had saban and bama on his mind many times in the L4Y or so with comments so one would have to surmise that having saban in the same conf couldn't have helped matters

He's had saban and bama on his mind many times in the L4Y or so with comments so one would have to surmise that having saban in the same conf couldn't have helped matters
Like I said he is not afraid of a team that we don't even face that often. If we were losing to Bama every year in the SEC Championship then I can understand but please do not act like you are into Spurrier's mind when you know absolutely nothing of the situation and are speaking in generalities. Spurrier is living life like a fat rat in a cheese factory at this point. Dude was in Augusta National this week playing golf. Don't think he gives a shiz about Saban.

What you say about Les completely agree, since you know they do actually play every year.

No one knows what is going on in spurriers mind but since I followed him as HC at Duke in the late 80s I'm allowed to have an opinion that is considered at least somewhat validand my opinion is that he hated how successful saban was and is at bama. He took shots at saban every chance he got and the majority were backhanded compliments. The game has passed spurrier by but I can't help but think that at least a tiny part of his "burn out" if u wanna call it was seeing how great a recruiter saban is. He just loved to jab saban and bama whenever possible. Bana right now trumps out spurriers success at Florida way back when.

No one knows what is going on in spurriers mind but since I followed him as HC at Duke in the late 80s I'm allowed to have an opinion that is considered at least somewhat validand my opinion is that he hated how successful saban was and is at bama. He took shots at saban every chance he got and the majority were backhanded compliments. The game has passed spurrier by but I can't help but think that at least a tiny part of his "burn out" if u wanna call it was seeing how great a recruiter saban is. He just loved to jab saban and bama whenever possible. Bana right now trumps out spurriers success at Florida way back when.
If you followed him that long then you would know that he jabs at EVERYONE. But if him making media comments is all your basing this off and not reading anything that has been said or want to actually discuss the details that is fine. Just pointing that is a completely false statement on why that particular man quit coaching.

Agree completely that Saban has changed the SEC landscape but Spurrier handed Saban one of his worst losses ever in 2001 with Florida on the road, beat him with USC with Stephen Garcia and is 7-5 overall with Bama. Spurrier actually matched up well against Saban.

Sorry to start anything, I am just telling you the facts. Spurrier's mind was more on his first loss to Kentucky in a decade, and losing at half time to UCF. If you want to wach press conferences and base things off that go watch the post game of UCF and watch Spurrier's good bye presser. He mentioned that as a moment he knew it was time for him to step aside and he had lost the locker room.

Last edited:
Also just to clarify Spurrier is 7-5 against Bama career

His record against Saban alone is 3-2
2-0 while at Florida
1-2 while at Carolina

Again Carolina is not in the west and not even in the conference championship enough for Saban to matter.

Lsu win 07. Fla 08. Auburn 2010. That's not a ton of time between titles these days but I guess when bama is winning multiples in the same span

Not "in the same span". 2010 was a long time ago. Alabama has stayed at the top, and the others have fallen way off.

Why is Saban causing the SEC East coaches to be fired and not the West?

Hugh freeze. Bielema. Sumlin. Malzahn. All too new right now. All but Bielema doing well but he inherited a shitty situation. Mullen and miss st don't deal w/high expectations. Lsu and les? Absolutely in my mind the damn near firing tied to saban and bama success. Richt in the east? Same thing. Spurrier at least a tiny bit.

Does that answer your question?

Bama hasn't been this dominant since the 70s under bear bryant. Schools like LSU, florida, georgia, etc, the brand name schools, wondering if saban can do this why can't they.

Saban is affecting people's jobs. Clear as day to me. Reaches past SEC too.

Hugh freeze. Bielema. Sumlin. Malzahn. All too new right now. All but Bielema doing well but he inherited a shitty situation. Mullen and miss st don't deal w/high expectations. Lsu and les? Absolutely in my mind the damn near firing tied to saban and bama success. Richt in the east? Same thing. Spurrier at least a tiny bit.

Does that answer your question?

Yes, you did. It wasn't a dig at you by the way, I understand were you are coming from.

It'll be interesting to see where Gus and Sumlin sit 12 months from now. Lack of success may put Freeze in a difficult position too, but he is being saved because he has beaten Saban

11 of the 13 other SEC programs have changed coaches at least once since Saban became head coach. The two who haven't are LSU, who just about did, and aTm, who ironically gave their guy a huge extension for beating Alabama his first season and has mediocre results since. I'm not saying that Saban is directly responsible for most of those, but I think the success he has sustained has drastically and unrealistically raised the expectation levels for more than a few schools. And he is definitely the reason AU fired their best coach ever, then fired the first MNC winning coach in 50+ years 4 years later, and is the reason their current coach is on the hot seat

[h=3]26 percent[/h][h=3][/h]Percentiles are an effective way of measuring a team's performance (with opponent adjustments) in a single number. You can look at a team's schedule and quickly discern trends, highs, lows, etc.
Alabama's trends are, shall we say, strong. The Crimson Tide have played at the 80th percentile or higher in every game but one (you can guess the one), and after a bit of a dip against Texas A&M, they've improved for three straight weeks, from 80th percentile to 83rd to 88th (shutting down Leonard Fournette without overemphasizing him) to 95th (showing off a new pass rush by sacking Dak Prescott nine times).
I'm more interested in Alabama's opponents, however. The Bama Effect appears to be real. For all the attention Tide fans give to scheduling -- and how it kind of seems like every opponent gets a week off before playing Bama -- opponents should be more focused on getting a break afterward.
Let's look at conference opponents:

• Ole Miss' average performance was in the 97th percentile in the two weeks before Bama and the 41st in the two weeks after.
  • Georgia's average performance was in the 86th percentile in the three weeks before Bama and the 41st in the three weeks after.
  • Texas A&M's average performance was in the 79th percentile in the three weeks before Bama and the 35th in the three weeks after.
  • For the season, LSU was averaging in the 84th percentile before Bama. Last week against Arkansas: 26th.
Arkansas and Tennessee appear to have immunized against the Bama Effect. Everybody else in the SEC: not so much. Alabama's latest victim, Mississippi State, plays at Arkansas this Saturday.

Outside of the D line this year, we have the jimmys and the joes to play with Bama.....that is clear....look at everything since our last ship.....

In LSU case it's different....the talent gap isn't as huge(this year the d line however....and that is Chavis fucking us for about 2 yrs)

Sumlin is a joke...I posted in gps thread....he owes JFF millions

11 of the 13 other SEC programs have changed coaches at least once since Saban became head coach. The two who haven't are LSU, who just about did, and aTm, who ironically gave their guy a huge extension for beating Alabama his first season and has mediocre results since. I'm not saying that Saban is directly responsible for most of those....

With the retirement of Beamer, 14 of 14 ACC schools have changed coaches since Saban arrived in Tuscaloosa. There's a lot of coaching turnover these days.

With the retirement of Beamer, 14 of 14 ACC schools have changed coaches since Saban arrived in Tuscaloosa. There's a lot of coaching turnover these days.

Yeah I'd say that being here 9 years has more to do with the number than anything. 9 years is an eternity in coaching these days

Sumlin is a joke...I posted in gps thread....he owes JFF millions

Bullshit. JFF owes former coach Mike Sherman for recruiting Cedric Ogbuehi, Luke Joeckel, and Jake Matthews along with Mike Evans every penny he has stolen from the Browns.

Bullshit. JFF owes former coach Mike Sherman for recruiting Cedric Ogbuehi, Luke Joeckel, and Jake Matthews along with Mike Evans every penny he has stolen from the Browns.
Well Sumlin got paid. And his QB play is the next door neighbor of LSU's with 5 star talent and some of the best QB gets in the nation....

Sumlin is overrated.....at least if we go by results....he has yet to beat shitty LSU, back even before joining the SEC

Sumlin got paid off JFF bro....that's what's up

Back