Rod's Tennis 30/12 - 7/1

rod_steel

Have an adequate day
Season YTD (0-0-0)

All units played between 1-10 units. I'm not big on writeups in the smaller tournaments but there will always be reason behind my selections this season so feel free to ask questions.

Going to start with the Hopman Cup.

31/12/06

India to beat Czech Rep - (+330) (5)

India qualified through the newly created "Asian Hopman Cup" system and I see this as a very strong bet for a couple of reasons:

*Although Czech Rep clearly have the edge in the mens singles with Berdych, India IMO have the edge in both the womens in the form of Mirza and the mixed doubles. Mirza has been playing through the off season, having participated in the Asian games where she got a silver (runner up to Zheng) and a gold in the mixed doubles with Leander Paes. Safarova has always been known to be a slow starter to the season so I can easily see this tie being decided in the doubles.
* Safarova ande Berdych may be an item off the court :smiley_acbe: but have played next to no doubles on court. Bohpanna and Mirza have already teamed up 5 years ago when they played for India under the youth tournament, also were unbeaten in the Asian Hopman Cup. Anyone who has seen Bohpanna play will know he possess a huge serve and is a very competent volleyer, one of the very few Asians who actually serve and volleyer. As aforementioned, Mirza just came off a mixed doubles win in the Asian Games with Paes, she knows how to play the format and against an untried team, huge chance for India to pull off a shock win.

Croatia to beat Spain - (+165) (3)

Another tie which will be decided in the mixed doubles, with Spain having the edge in the womens singles, Croatia in the mens singles. Ancic has been training throughout the off season with [SIZE=-1]Niki Pilic[/SIZE] straight after being an alternate in Shanghai. I caught an interview with him today and he was very confident of a strong showing this Aussie summer as a result as he was the of the opinion he was as fit as ever and fully recovered from the back injury which plagued him last season. In the doubles, Ancic is the clear standout doubles player from both sides, he is more then capable of carrying his little sister in this one against Robredo/AMG who do not play any doubles on tour at all.

:cheers:

Adding an individual bet for today as well.

Mirza to beat Safarova - (-144) (3.5)

Kind of explained above why I like Mirza in this spot, bit of chalk here but given her schedule over the past month, like her chances to get an easy win against Safarova who was slumping at the back end of last season.

31/12/06

Adelaide

Unfortunately the ATP are attempting to destroy pro tennis by introducing round robin formats to competitive tennis, douchebags

Regardless, there is one match in Adelaide I do like - local boys have a history of overperforming here, and today I see it as being no different.

Guccione to beat Delic - (-111) (3)

India to beat Czech Rep :36_1_36:

Mirza to beat Safarova :36_1_36:

Guccione to beat Delic :36_1_36:

Recap

Day 1: (3-0-0) +21.61 units

Firstly Happy New Year to you all, hope you all have a prosperous 2007 :cheers:

1/1/07

Hopman Cup bet pending from yesterday, to be played today:

rod_steel said:
Croatia to beat Spain - (+165) (3)

WTA - Auckland

Nakamura to beat Craybas - (-113) (4)

Solid start to the season Rod. Glad to see you hit your first 3 picks. Should have taken your advice on France the other day... live and learn.
GL with Nakamura today.

Croatia
an_burningbag.gif

Nakamura
an_burningbag.gif

Falla
an_burningbag.gif

Yikes - the ebbs and flows of tennis betting

i cannot stand the hopman cup! but i will definitely be wagering on some Women's tennis starting mid january. Good Luck this year Rod

Happy New Years Rod.

Will definetely start watching your tennis picks closer. GL

Cheers Fellas, happy new Year to you as well

2/1/07

Hopman Cup

Molik to beat Golovin - (+100) (3.5)

interesting play here as I definitely believe value is on molik. I believe she's the key to this country matchup and matchup wise they play very similar tennis. GL today.

Recap

Day 3: (0-2-0) -6.50 units

Season Updated: (3-5-0) +5.11 units

A couple of rough days, not to worry this is a marathon

Not a good day yesterday, will update record bit later

7/1/06

WTA - Sydney

Schiavone to beat Li - (-120) (4)

Really hate playing this much of chalk, but Dani is really low on confidence at the moment to start the new year so still see this as being 'value"

WTA - Sydney

Vaidisova to beat Hantuchova - (168) (4)

Recap

Day 8: (1-1-0) -1.62 units

Overall

Week 1: (7-9-0) -0.67 units

Season Updated: (7-9-0) -0.67 units

Well it was a great start, but poor ending. Key week before the AO so will need to monitor the tournaments closely.
Peace_5.gif

Back