Road to the Derby

Blue Grass: 5# Carpe Diem appears to be the class of the race and if runs back to his last in the Tampa Bay Derby he will be tough to beat here, but at less than even money is a tough selection for a Win bet as after a big effort over a tiring Tampa surface he does have some bounce potential, although if the 47.4 breeze last week is any indication he should be ready to roll. I'm still interested in #2 Gorgeous Bird, who I have a Derby future on, don't think the speed favoring Gulfstream surface was best for his running style, would still need a big step forward to threaten Carpe Diem but even a minor improvement puts in contention for a minor award and possibly even points for the Derby, if the price is right around his ML 8-1 will be a play for me. Hearing a lot of people like #3 Pepper Roani but his only dirt effort was poor and in his first try against winners he was no match for an overrated Royal Son, pass. Another I'm interested in a little is #6 Frammento, will need some fast early fractions to run into but should be able to pass many of these late in what is a relatively weak field.

Wood: I'm looking at a couple of lightly raced runners in here, #! Tiz Shea D, showed a more early interest in last attempt in the Gotham in just 2nd career effort and may be able to get a nice ground saving trip along the rail tracking just behind the leaders, bred to run all day being sired by Tiznow out of an AP Indy mare. #3 Lieutenant Colonel just may not have liked the wet surface in the Gotham but if he can get to the lead in a race that looks devoid of early speed and set some easy fractions he might be able to steal this one from the front end for Chad Brown.

Santa Anita Derby: #1 Dortmund is certainly the one to beat, this mammoth racehorse will be the one they have to catch and pass in the stretch and not sure if anyone in here is capable of doing so today. The other contenders are #4 Bolo ran on dirt for first time in the San Felipe and was stuck 3 wide throughout, actually got a head in front of Dortmund at the top of the stretch before that one regained the lead and drifted out some causing Bolo to check a little and duck in towards the rail, might have cost him 2nd but don't think he was catching Dortmund, gets Mike Smith back on board and should improve off that effort. #5 Prospect Park came on late for the place in the San Felipe and should appreciate the extra half furlong here, if anyone can put real pressure on Dortmund early he may be able to pick up the pieces here, should be a very good race.

A few other races I like today:

Aqueduct Race 5: #10 Rectify
Aqueduct Race 8: #1 Puca
Keeneland Race 3: #6 Japan
Keeneland Race 7: #7 C Zee
Keeneland Race 8: #10 Power Alert

Just threw at triple out there for shits and giggles in R1AQ and hit it 2,6/2,6/2,3,4,5,6 and got a price with the third horse.

This is a good way to kill time before games, was at Aqu for wood last year, missed 2nd game, glad I'll catch em both this yr

Speaking of Gulfstream, glad the stewarts from there aren't in NY, they would've taken the 1 down

Didn't mean to leave Yockey's Warrior off who freaked in his debut at the Fair Grounds for Stall in what came back to be live race with multiple winners coming out of that race he won by almost 7 lengths

Back