Rexy's Wednesday Bowls...

CollegeKingRex

CTG Regular
Those of you wanting a play before these games start, well, sorry, you're in the wrong place.

Nothing for me today at these levels, although from reading the markets, I think billy is trying to jack TCU up to 4 and then bet on Ole Miss. That should be his side even if the line has topped out.

I also think that the sharpest money should come for Boise later, but I'm not sure.

Would seem that GT is the sharp side as well in the late game, with UNDER the total also getting the majority of the money I chart.

The Atlanta Bowl has been a Dec. 31 staple for as long as I can remember, although this will be the first time they play it in the daytime for an equally long amount of time I can remember. It will be weird for sure (why not swap the Miami Bowl and Atlanta Bowl so we can have some semblance of consistency in all this chaotic change?)

The hardest thing to judge in spots like this, in the first game particularly, is motivation. What sort of effort can you expect today from a Texas Christian team that was temporarily "given" a No. 3 ranking in an arbitrary "poll" the week before blasting an overmatched conference foe and then being summarily dumped out of the top 4 despite that win? The Horned Frogs did everything asked of them by the committee when earning that ranking safely inside the top four in the final poll before the playoffs were announced. They did nothing to lose their spot, yet find themselves playing in the AM hours (local time) on New Year's Eve... a far cry from the late afternoon or prime time spot they were coveting tomorrow. Chopping the league title hurt them, as did losing to that team they split it with.

There were several occasions this year where I was far from impressed with TCU's effort on both sides of the ball (they were outplayed by Oklahoma at home for long stretches in a game where i had to sweat it to the end) but that said, the only game that Toads lost, they scored 58 points and led by three touchdowns with less than 12 minutes left. I think the Big XII's round robin schedule is as fair as anything going in college football. Wouldn't the SEC be more fun if they chopped the divisions and literally drew out of a hat for the next year? Keep the Egg Bowl, the World's Largest Cocktail Party, the Iron Bowl etc etc (maybe as many as 3 division games with 5 left up in the air by a blind draw the season before, literally they could have done it on Christmas Day for more eyeballs since there were no bowls this year). Tangent over, TCU and Baylor won league titles and won't be playing in the playoffs, which hardly seems fair given the mediocrity of the Big 10, ACC, the SEC East and the Pac XII North.

So how does Patterson circle the troops and get a rousing effort out of them? That's the big question; the Toads are laying more than a field goal and the game is in SEC country. If they don't bring a top effort, Owe Miss might well beat them senseless. The SEC is 4-1 ATS and SU in bowls already this season, and the Rebels were 7-0 SU and ATS this season and thumped a 10-1 Mississippi State team by two touchdowns in the Egg Bowl to keep their hated in-state foes out of the playoffs. The "Land Shark" Rebel defense led the nation in allowing just 13.8 ppg. The Rebs also yielded just 3.4 yards per carry and intercepted 19 passes. TCU QB Trevone Boykin had a good enough season to throw his name into the hat for early 2015 Heisman Trophy contender; that's what happens when you go from a subpar 7/7 touchdown-to-INT ratio last season to 30/7 in 2014. This will be the most fun offensive-vs-defensive matchup in any bowl game to this point.

It's tough to say whether you'll get the "good" or "bad" Bo Wallace for Owe Miss, another thing to keep me off this game. The 4-2-5 Patterson D could well keep him guessing. TCU has the kicking game edge, was second in the nation in takeaways and second with a +18 turnover margin. The Rebs are 6-0 SU and ATS in their last six bowls and 11 of the last 16 Atlanta Bowl outright winners have gone to the dog. Gun to head, I'll call for TCU to win by 1 to 3 in an UNDER-type game (high 40s to low 50s total pts scored) on a late field goal.

Back with writeups on the other two shortly...

:shake:

Nice write up/ I didnt see where Miss will do much to win. - IMO TCU gets the cash even at -4.

Both of Miss #1 and #2 starting wr's are out.

BOL on all your plays. Good Read.

The Glendale Bowl is the sammich of the three bowl games today. It's the only one of the six games today and tomorrow that doesn't involve a "Power 5" Conference team, and with Arizona's limited history (only team of the former Pac 10 to never compete in a Rose Bowl), the ratings for this one don't expect to be through the roof. Arizona is laying a field goal, with the total stuck in the mid to high 60s. The mid-afternoon Mountain Time start should render the weather irrelevant. What does matter: Mountain West teams are 3-23 SU against the Pac 12 straight up since the beginning of 2012. Boise lost twice in that stretch, once in the Honolulu Bowl last year by two touchdowns to Oregon State. Boise has had its issues with run-oriented offenses. The deceiving triple-option of New Mexico scored 49 against the Broncos, and Air Force moved the ball up and down the field. Rich Rod's offense should relish this matchup after getting stymied by Oregon earlier this month in the Pac-12 title game. Spreading it out and attacking the gaps should come much easier today.

Boise QB Grant Hedrick was pretty good most of the season, a 7-turnover debacle against the Air Force aside. Arizona plays their pet 3-3-5 but Boise should have options. Hedrick has completed 70 percent of his throws and RB Jay Ajayi led the nation in carries while averaging 130 yards per game. Not good for an Arizona defense that ranked 102nd overally despite having stud LB Scooby Wright roaming around on 3 downs.

Strength of schedule must always be looked at; Boise ranked in the top 10 in takeaways but against some mediocre offenses. Boise outgained its foes by 130 ypg, while Arizona by just 13. Again, context.

The logistics don't really favor Arizona; this game almost two hours from the Tucson campus, right in the heart of Arizona STATE country, and Boise fans and followers will have warm memories of a few of these prior games. The Broncos beat Oklahoma in one of the best football games ever played after the 2006 season in this game, then ended TCU's perfect season after the 2009 season. Boise coach Bryan Harsin was along for both of those rides, and it will be interesting to see if his bowl record and prep is as impressive as former Boise coach Peterson (and Hawkins before that) was.

Still, Rich Rodriguez took some of his WV teams that were at the top of their games and sprinted to big early leads in bowl games. That sort of preparation cannot be overlooked and warrants enough respect to keep me away. Boise is also 0-5 SU the last 2-plus years as a dog, with an average loss by 17 ppg in that role, one in which it used to thrive.

The nightcap is the Miami Bowl and the closest thing I've got to an opinion today. The only thing keeping me off is the price. There has been a glut of sharp money for the dog to drive this down, and for good reason. The situation is simply a horrible one for Messy State. The Bulldogs were one Egg Bowl win over Ole Miss in Oxford from playing in the football playoffs. But they absorbed a 31-17 thrashing in that one, and the implications for this one could be far-flung. Think Alabama after its Iron Bowl loss to Auburn last year and subsequent no-show against Oklahoma at the Superdome.

Georgia Tech won't be in any sort of letdown spot. This is GT's 18th (!) straight bowl appearance. The Jackets are 9-3 ATS this season and have covered six straight. They beat Jorja at Jorja outright to end the regular season (we saw the potential of those Bulldogs in a bruising win over Louisville in the Belk Bowl). They also played Florida State to a 2-point game in the ACC Championship. Jorja Tech has forced 27 turnovers and scored six touchdowns on defense (second in the country); that masked some deficiencies from that middle-of-the-road group. MSU QB Dak Prescott will almost surely slice and dice the Jackets. Dan Mullen's offense put up 37 ppg and had 28 rushing and 28 passing touchdowns on the season. There seems to be a decent edge at the line of scrimmage for Messy State, particularly when the Bulldogs have the ball. Prescott is a top zone-read QB in the country, and his ability to involve multiple RB's and wideouts in the play-action game had to be giving the GT defensive staff sleepless nights.

On offense, QB Justin Thomas proved to be the best pilot in Paul Johnson's tenure at GT. He completed 89 passes in the complex triple-option offense, yet 17 of those went for scores. GT receivers averaged almost 18 yards per catch! Yes, they'll miss the stud WR Smelter, but Waller caught 5 passes for 73 yards and a TD against Florida State in his first game as the WR1. Those numbers look attainable today as well. GT was second in the nation in rushing offense. Yes, the Bulldogs will have extra time to prepare for this game, and triple option teams often struggle in bowls (Johnson is 1-5 SU and ATS in his bowls). But Messy St DC Collins made what Mullen called "a lateral move" by taking over the same post at Florida and was already gone before the preparation was finished for this one. That would be a cause for concern if you decided to back State tonight.

GT lost three games by a total of 13 points all season. Even if Missy State does come with its "A" effort, not sure that will be enough for the Bulldogs to extend the margin against this hungry and capable rival. GT to win a close one outright is my call that lands near the posted total of 60; no play for me.

Didn't even think about doing anything with the 2H of Boise, but here are my thoughts before I opened it (swapped numbers with the BetOnline guy with about 20 secs left in the half).

arizona seems to finally have the line of scrimmage
the problem with that now is that other coach will go in there and make adjustments
it's obvious boise swinging with both fists
i'm guessing they'll come arizona 4 or so
with them getting the ball first
total in the 33 or 34 range although i think 31.5 closer to correct
DickRod up against it here against this guy

If there's anything that's been unpredictable is who is coming out motivated and who isn't. It's all about how a coach spins it and we don't know.

next half thoughts....

this is a fun game to watch
i don't understand why Missy State had its 2nd team linebackers in that drive
this QB for GT is a certified stud
makes me feel good about Fla State beating them maybe being a wake-up sign for them and not GT being chopped liver
GT deferred so will try to get more separation
guessing we'll see Messy State 4/30
i would have 0 opinion to side and lean UN if that happened, but who knows

Back