Raiders vs. Bengals Discussion Thread

This should be an entertaining game. Not as good as last nights game but still should be good.

I'm actually in the opposite camp, I really like the Bengals to roll here. The Raiders on the road on a short week, off an emotionally draining win, just screams flat to me. The Bengals have already beaten Vegas fairly convincingly, pulling away from a close game in the 4th quarter, scoring on every possession in the second half.

The big question I guess is are these the same old Bengals that gagged all the time in the playoffs when Marvin Lewis was coach? I don't see why they would be. Burrow is already excellent, just 2 years in. The offense is the best its been since the early Carson Palmer years, behind only the peak Esiason and Kenny Anderson years. The defense is mid-pack, not great, but not bad. They have the weapons to stay in every game and can be explosive.

The Raiders have gutted out four straight one score wins against (check notes) non-playoff teams. They've shown great resilience this year with all the off the field issues. But I don't think they have much left in the tank. They don't have the field stretching ability they had earlier in the year, so every game is a grind. Do they have a championship pedigree to fall back on? No. Incredibly, at age 30, this will be Derek Carr's first action in a playoff game! Yeah the Bengals haven't won a playoff game since 1990. The Raiders haven't won one since.....2002. There's not a child alive that has seen either team win!

Someone's gonna win on Saturday. Give me the team with the QB on the rise and the offense that can strike quickly and often.

I'm actually in the opposite camp, I really like the Bengals to roll here. The Raiders on the road on a short week, off an emotionally draining win, just screams flat to me. The Bengals have already beaten Vegas fairly convincingly, pulling away from a close game in the 4th quarter, scoring on every possession in the second half.

The big question I guess is are these the same old Bengals that gagged all the time in the playoffs when Marvin Lewis was coach? I don't see why they would be. Burrow is already excellent, just 2 years in. The offense is the best its been since the early Carson Palmer years, behind only the peak Esiason and Kenny Anderson years. The defense is mid-pack, not great, but not bad. They have the weapons to stay in every game and can be explosive.

The Raiders have gutted out four straight one score wins against (check notes) non-playoff teams. They've shown great resilience this year with all the off the field issues. But I don't think they have much left in the tank. They don't have the field stretching ability they had earlier in the year, so every game is a grind. Do they have a championship pedigree to fall back on? No. Incredibly, at age 30, this will be Derek Carr's first action in a playoff game! Yeah the Bengals haven't won a playoff game since 1990. The Raiders haven't won one since.....2002. There's not a child alive that has seen either team win!

Someone's gonna win on Saturday. Give me the team with the QB on the rise and the offense that can strike quickly and often.
Great write up

As usual with Bengals games, the OL would be my concern vs that LV front.

Otherwise, so many things not favoring Vegas here.

Think I agree with you, I do worry raiders might be able to get pressure with 4, they gonna have to cause they can’t cover cincy wrs. Think I’ll be attacking a bunch of props in this one. Mixon to score a no brainer then prob have some of both teams passing games.

not a bad idea, not supposed to be particularly windy and the snow isn't going to accumulate much.
Always the concern for me when it's simply cold and playing over is how much more difficult a 45-50 yard FG is when it's a boulder. But to the same degree punts can easily go nowhere and give the other offense a pretty short field.

I just keep thinking about how Herbert was carving the Raiders up lg and what the Bengals wr can do. MIke Williams could have had 200+ imagine Chase/Higgins in this matchup. Obv key to the game is pass pro Maxx is an animal. I just don't think he can get there consistently enough to stop JoeB from ripping them.

I just keep thinking about how Herbert was carving the Raiders up lg and what the Bengals wr can do. MIke Williams could have had 200+ imagine Chase/Higgins in this matchup. Obv key to the game is pass pro Maxx is an animal. I just don't think he can get there consistently enough to stop JoeB from ripping them.

Prob at times but yea I don’t see any chance cincy doesn’t hang 28+. Mixon shredded them last time they played also. Waller was bout the only raiders who played well.

believe it or not cincy actually has a higher sack rate. bungals d is solid.
I don't really think either defense will get a ton of traction in this game. Mixon and Jacobs could both have some fun as could both Carr and Burrow

I don't really think either defense will get a ton of traction in this game. Mixon and Jacobs could both have some fun as could both Carr and Burrow

i dont like jocobs much in this one.. cant play his under cause if he gets 20 carries i assume he prob hit it since it only in 60s but damn sure not looking to play over.

how did waller look last week? i see he had 9 freaking targets but only 2 catches. was he at least running around looking like normal self?

I doubt it. They only added that for WC Round to spread it out and generate more revenue.
Seems like a Monday night game would generate more rev than an afternoon Sat game but no real study on that

how did waller look last week? i see he had 9 freaking targets but only 2 catches. was he at least running around looking like normal self?

He dropped one ball that I remember, but the rest were on Carr. Just slightly off on ball placement.

He carved on 4th down. Otherwise, LV did a pretty good job.

I actually think a Sat prime time game and 3 Sunday games would be optimal for revenue

mfers print money, at some point it be nice if they cared more about competitive balance than a few more bucks!! crazy how willing they are to fuck anything up in name of another dollar!!

Agree with much of this but I will say, this is not same old Bengals imo. Legit chance to win SB

Agree with much of this but I will say, this is not same old Bengals imo. Legit chance to win SB

man i dunno, i think they still have a ways to go for that, i think they can beat anyone any given week but i dont think they ready to string together 4 good games vs other good teams, as been talked about that oline is not a SB unit..they sure that up and gain some experience and i could def see it in next few years, just not this one.

that said it not like afc loaded with unbeatable teams, just dont think bungals line could hold up against a team like bills or titans. what prob gonna happen is cincy looks great this weekend then everyone will love them at titans, then titans front 4 will be a nightmare while the offense controls the clock!!

that said it not like afc loaded with unbeatable teams, just dont think bungals line could hold up against a team like bills or titans. what prob gonna happen is cincy looks great this weekend then everyone will love them at titans, then titans front 4 will be a nightmare while the offense controls the clock!!
Great thought. Most teams stills have to learn to walk in the playoffs before they can run.

Great thought. Most teams stills have to learn to walk in the playoffs before they can run.

I feel like I got a pretty clear view on how I think these next few weeks gonna play out but for it to happen cincy needs to look good and niners need to beat Dallas! lol

Burrow under pressure is a big drop off from when hes kept clean in the pocket. Hes also great when hes blitzed, which the raiders do less than any most anyone. His passing grade from pff is between 96 when kept clean, 93 when blitzed, and 63 when pressured. Crosby led the league in pressures and right tackle for cinci has been bad all year.

The game vs vegas was by far the lowest the bengals passing game grades out as well at 55, they werent lower than 70 in any other game since week 2.

It's the biggest mismatch between two units in the game

Burrow under pressure is a big drop off from when hes kept clean in the pocket. Hes also great when hes blitzed, which the raiders do less than any most anyone. His passing grade from pff is between 96 when kept clean, 93 when blitzed, and 63 when pressured. Crosby led the league in pressures and right tackle for cinci has been bad all year.

The game vs vegas was by far the lowest the bengals passing game grades out as well at 55, they werent lower than 70 in any other game since week 2.

It's the biggest mismatch between two units in the game

Did cincy try to pass a lot? If I recall correctly Mixon kinda controlled that game didn’t he? Borrow was 20-29 just didht air it out, I assume cause of the pass pro problem. I’d imagine they look to run him a lot early to try and negate the pass rush, vegas run d isn’t all that great.

Bengals biggest advantage on offense will be Mixon, the run defense isnt good, do staying out of 2nd/3rd and long is important

Raiders rush offense has had it's best 3 game stretch of the season, so that will be a factor, but biggest actual advantage is waller and renfrow against the bengals linebackers, by far the weakness of their d especially in coverage.

Back