PGA Tour agrees to merge with Saudi-backed rival LIV Golf

according to my golf sources

The PGA Tour players in a attempt to overthrow Jay Monahan will boycott the John Deere Classic (7/6 - 7/9)

The anger 98% of the players have with deal is jaw dropping…

There’s no tour without players will be interesting to see how this plays out
Well.....don't the top 50 players basically pass on the John Deere already? If a tree falls in the forest and no one is there to hear it.......

The rank and file will pass up on cashing checks at a tournament that is basically only there for them to play in? I would need to see it to believe it.

Though it would be a hoot watching CBS's milquetoast pro-PGA Tour broadcasters work that scene.

I am not a golf fan in any way and don't blame anyone that takes Saudi money but I personally would never take a penny from any muslim country.

So talk from people who did the pro am is that full swing was there yesterday, and were in the meeting with monahan and the players.... for 30 seconds

Then they got kicked out

LIV such a shit product, with their stupid team concept like anyone gives a fuck....just opened the door for the Saudis to get their blood stained hands involved. The whole thing is completely despicable and has for the time being ruined what is a great game that always exuded class. I'm beyond disgusted with Monahan and his disingenuous leadership! They need to find a way to level the playing field now for those that were loyal to the PGA, or this will never get worked out. Side note - Ryder Cup every two years is outstanding but beyond that the team golf concept is just lacking in charisma imo. I like to see individuals win golf tournaments, nothing better than that and as we know it is so difficult to win.

LIV such a shit product, with their stupid team concept like anyone gives a fuck....just opened the door for the Saudis to get their blood stained hands involved. The whole thing is completely despicable and has for the time being ruined what is a great game that always exuded class. I'm beyond disgusted with Monahan and his disingenuous leadership! They need to find a way to level the playing field now for those that were loyal to the PGA, or this will never get worked out. Side note - Ryder Cup every two years is outstanding but beyond that the team golf concept is just lacking in charisma imo. I like to see individuals win golf tournaments, nothing better than that and as we know it is so difficult to win.
Agree

Team golf even sucks when you're playing with buddies and gambling, I rather just play my own ball

Hahahahahahaha. Where are all of the LIV haters? Please, please, please come on in and say you were wrong.
I guess I am/was a "LIV hater". I'm right here and will tip the cap that it worked out now obviously for the defectors. Still think LIV is/was a gimmick and nothing changed there and clearly the average audience thought the same since no one watches other than in person at Australia. I don't know why the agreement suddenly happened but I suspect it's whatever books PGA doesn't want exposed and/or they flat out didn't have the $ to pay the elevated events. Obviously the defectors that no one cared about (other than Cam Smith) come out smelling like a rose though so good on 'em.

Hat tip to you though and good folks like @Gandolf with different opinions

Agree

Team golf even sucks when you're playing with buddies and gambling, I rather just play my own ball

They do play their own ball, it’s not a scramble or even best ball. They just total up the individual scores for the “team” score.

JFC, everyone is a whore aren't they?

What you should be asking is why there wasn’t any uproar, or even any/much talk of the LPGA Saudi connection when it started. You didn’t even know about it…that’s odd isn’t it?

Doesn’t take long to figure out the PGA is, and was full of shit about the whole LIV thing from the jump. Think about who was being vocal about it (big corporate sports entities/networks, politicians, etc)…they ALL are and were full of shit. They lie about everything. Almost quite literally EVERYTHING.

Once you see it, you can’t unsee it…and you see how pervasive it actually is.

What you should be asking is why there wasn’t any uproar, or even any/much talk of the LPGA Saudi connection when it started. You didn’t even know about it…that’s odd isn’t it?

Doesn’t take long to figure out the PGA is, and was full of shit about the whole LIV thing from the jump. Think about who was being vocal about it (big corporate sports entities/networks, politicians, etc)…they ALL are and were full of shit. They lie about everything. Almost quite literally EVERYTHING.

Once you see it, you can’t unsee it…and you see how pervasive it actually is.
Ya its obvious now that this deal has been in the works all along. Something this massive doesn't come together overnight.

The whole thing is disgusting and like you said it will be in the background at every pga event for a couple of decades anyway.

That Saudi fund has about 600 bil. They ain't done yet. All leagues/teams are for sale with that kind of money. Nothing they can't buy.

So basically the Saudis own the PGA now. I wonder how the LPGA feels about this given that the Arabs throw women in prison for wanting to drive.
I love the whole aspect of this "deal" that the PGA is guaranteed more seats on a board that can have any idea squashed when the PIF decides its not a good move and rejects funding it. The PGA will have virtually no power other than the power of suggestion which ain't much.

I still don't totally understand how this will work. PGA Tour still operates as a charitable organization under the umbrella of a for-profit entity. How does that work? If PIF wants LIV to continue can the for-profit entity say no considering PGA Tour has a majority on the board?

Lot of details still to shake out on this. TBH I'm a bit surprised they announced something this early in the process without more issues worked out. Both sides must've been desperate to avoid legal discovery playing out, which should raise red flags with the Justice Department and IRS. The Tour is probably considered right-wing enough to be a target for this administration.

I still don't totally understand how this will work. PGA Tour still operates as a charitable organization under the umbrella of a for-profit entity. How does that work? If PIF wants LIV to continue can the for-profit entity say no considering PGA Tour has a majority on the board?

Lot of details still to shake out on this. TBH I'm a bit surprised they announced something this early in the process without more issues worked out. Both sides must've been desperate to avoid legal discovery playing out, which should raise red flags with the Justice Department and IRS. The Tour is probably considered right-wing enough to be a target for this administration.
I've read a couple tidbits today by golf insiders who seem to think this deal is far from a sure thing. You're likely right, they just wanted to throw something out there to avoid an audit and all they've done is raise a ton of unnecessary red flags.

This only makes sense but the opposite was being "reported" after the announcement of the merger, but we were only hearing the pro-PGA/anti-LIV side of things. It does not make sense for the Saudis to fund this and really get nothing else but attaching their name to it. Maybe this changes down the road, but LIV going away is not the starting point for this merger/negotiation. It could be an ending point.

No way they keep their tax exemption status

At least I wouldn’t think.

So they get to take it as a donation?

Gotta see how this settles….
Kinda why it was so ridiculous to just throw this on the wall and see if it sticks. The red flags for the IRS and DOJ are waving fast and furious, highly doubt the bulls just stand still and do nothing

Augusta is similar

Allows them not to release member lists, future planned expansion etc.
Augusta would be…maybe understandable. Maybe not.
What they do, if they haves dues/stock/lifetime member ship etc
That I don’t know. Interesting obviously because they hood the biggest tournament in the world and likely won’t change.

But the PGA as a whole?! Had no idea.

Only qualifiers since 2010: Rahm, Thomas, Rory, Spieth, Tiger. I don't really see any of them being interested in moving, unless Thomas and Spieth were a package deal.

Only qualifiers since 2010: Rahm, Thomas, Rory, Spieth, Tiger. I don't really see any of them being interested in moving, unless Thomas and Spieth were a package deal.
He said recent number 1 though so I think it can be rory, rahm, and scheffler

JT is last guy who wasnt one of those 3, or DJ, and it was 3 years ago, not that recently

Rory is not it
Scheffler no multiple majors

Leaves rahm, who has in all of his statements since it started has been very pro liv

He said recent number 1 though so I think it can be rory, rahm, and scheffler

JT is last guy who wasnt one of those 3, or DJ, and it was 3 years ago, not that recently

Rory is not it
Scheffler no multiple majors

Leaves rahm, who has in all of his statements since it started has been very pro liv
Rahm originally was saying he didn't believe in no cut events. Maybe all the Tour plans of limited field events leveled that playing field, so to speak.

LIV does play in Spain end of the month and has more than half its 2023 schedule left to play. Rahm could easily play the two remaining majors and the rest of the schedule, as could quite a few of the more rank and file players. Since PIF money is no longer taboo to PGA Tour that would be an interesting twist in all this. Maybe the Saudis look at it as some late insurance to make sure Monahan doesn't screw them over in this new deal. The most recent articles like the Jimmy Dunne feature in SI certainly make it look like he thinks Monahan fleeced them.

LIV does play in Spain end of the month and has more than half its 2023 schedule left to play. Rahm could easily play the two remaining majors and the rest of the schedule, as could quite a few of the more rank and file players. Since PIF money is no longer taboo to PGA Tour that would be an interesting twist in all this. Maybe the Saudis look at it as some late insurance to make sure Monahan doesn't screw them over in this new deal. The most recent articles like the Jimmy Dunne feature in SI certainly make it look like he thinks Monahan fleeced them.
Yeah, I read that article too. He basically says they gave away total control of LIV, get nothing from the PGA, and have zero control of the PGA, all for the ability to give the PGA money when the PGA wants their money by giving them the “right of first refusal to be the Tour’s investment partner". The only way this is remotely accurate is if they have agreed to call it the Saudi PGA Tour going forward.

Ironically, the guys who may have gotten screwed the most are the LIV guys who won't necessarily be welcomed back to the PGA. LIV was never about growing the game of golf, or shotgun starts, etc. It was always about them getting the PIF in the same room as the large investment firms in the US. There's very little chance LIV exists once (and if) this partnership comes through. Monahan will gladly welcome back DJ, Brooks, Cam, and even Bryson. Not so fast P Reed and Phil.

Ironically, the guys who may have gotten screwed the most are the LIV guys who won't necessarily be welcomed back to the PGA. LIV was never about growing the game of golf, or shotgun starts, etc. It was always about them getting the PIF in the same room as the large investment firms in the US. There's very little chance LIV exists once (and if) this partnership comes through. Monahan will gladly welcome back DJ, Brooks, Cam, and even Bryson. Not so fast P Reed and Phil.
Spot on

It will be a case by case basis and the PGA can live without Phill and Patty

Back