Ouch...

What a message. Beating clown triple double loser Russ then getting swept in Round 2. Mediocrity is rewarded handsomely in Portland!

giphy.gif

What a message. Beating clown triple double loser Russ then getting swept in Round 2. Mediocrity is rewarded handsomely in Portland!

They got swept in the Conference Finals (to the Warriors no less), not the 2nd round. In the 2nd round they beat Denver, who is a pretty damn good team that most expected to win. Not to mention Nurkic missed the entirely playoffs with the injury. With him, they’re a much better team, he’s a stud.

They got swept in the Conference Finals (to the Warriors no less), not the 2nd round. In the 2nd round they beat Denver, who is a pretty damn good team that most expected to win. Not to mention Nurkic missed the entirely playoffs with the injury. With him, they’re a much better team, he’s a stud.
They did do pretty well considering they were missing a key peice. They came to play each game vs GSW just faded down the stretch each time... not sure if that's coaching or what...

Great move by Portland. I'm always for continuity and Stotts did great job in this playoffs (besides allowing Curry to run free without proper defense). Players love him, he managed to overcome Nurkic absence, got great game out of Seth Curry, Hood, Kanter, Collins and Myers - not an easy thing to keep everyone ready...

His in game coaching is atrocious. Portland is settling for mediocrity. They played a team that never got it together this year in first round then brat an overrated Nuggets squad coached by someone even worse. I'll give Stotts this... He's better than Malone or Nurse.

Not a matter of who can replace someone. It's about changing the culture, getting someone who believes and buys in your vision. Stotts blew 3 leads in a row of 15+. Took him 7 to beat a young Denver team. It's not all about x and o's sometimes. He's weak mentally and it reflects on his team. There is something wrong internally there.

The Cavs went outside the box. Think outside the box. The status quo is not working. Do you want championships or do you want to settle?

The problem is the nba is a political good Ole boy network. Think outside the box. There is a better fit. So many recycled coaches it amazes me.

1. Any assistant of pop. Even Becky Hammond, why not? That's what 3?
2. Any assistant of Kerr besides Mike Brown
3. Anyone involved with bucks staff which was involved with pop.
4. Anyone who has been involved with Pat Riley
5. Anyone in the college level who brings a modern nba style offense.

That's off the top of my head.

I agree with you both. I said it many times in previous seasons that this is horrible for the league, that they don't think outside the box (though when Blatt was hired - most people weren't pleased).
But... Portland managed to finish 3rd in the West, making their final run without Nurkic and getting past teams like Utah and the Rockets. Portland managed to get to the WC Finals for the first time in two decades and that's without their third best player.
I didn't like it when Denver fired Karl after he was named coach of the year and I think it would have been wrong to fire Stotts as well.
You wanted to fire him? You should have done it a year ago, when he got swept by the Pels, without Cousins. But this year? It would have been really wrong.
On the contrary, you want to reward accomplishments, not punish for them - that's how you build a healthy franchise. What reason Lillard would have to stay, if the franchise treats Stotts like that?
On top of that, he did good things. He made mistakes, but everyone does them. Pop cost Spurs title, back in Game 6 in Miami...

Now, you say outside the box, but Brett Brown and Nurse both were considered great assistant coaches and Brown managed to get his team one step further every season, Nurse taken his team to the EC Finals and still most here think they should get replaced. So let's think again outside the box and bring another assistant coach, so that he could be fired, just to be replaced by another assistant coach?

Walton was Kerr's assistant, still didn't here a lot of people saying how great he was coaching the Lakers. Many thought he should be replaced. Malone that took Denver to the 2nd place in the West also should be replaced.

I agree that coaches that failed should be replaced, but coaches that did a good job this year, can we at least leave them alone?

Billy D, that failed twice already to go past first round, should be replaced.
Brooks needs to be replaced in DC.

All others... not sure at all... sometimes, thinking outside the box, is actually giving coaches continuity...
Portland kept Stotts after last year's playoffs - thinking outside the box and got rewarded with WC Finals - I'm sure that many many teams would have fired their coach.

Look how many teams change their coaches - for how many did it truly help? Suns really thought outside the box, bringing Euro champion - just to fire him and go back to recycling coaches the season after... that's the example?

I agree that teams that are firing their coaches, should think outside the box, but to fire a coach that did good job, just to think outside the box... Can't agree...

Ok. Let me say that again. Stotts in particular is a mental midget who will always be a whipping boy. He has no testicular fortitude. No iron jock so to speak. This reflected on the team. No mas, no balls. You can't get swept like that and be a good coach. No way. Especially no kd.

Back