"One day at a time" team analysis: Day 29 - Michigan

lindetrain

Pretty much a regular
Overview:

After a disappointing 7-5 season in 2005, Michigan shocked everyone in 2006, becoming one of the nation's top teams and holding the #2 ranking for nearly half the season before falling to Ohio State in the season finale. There were some who believed they deserved a shot at the national title despite already playing OSU, but they ended up in the Rose Bowl - and got hammered by USC. They now return most of their offensive weapons from that group, and are expected to be a top 10 team once again.

Chad Henne is back at QB after a solid junior season, where he threw for 2508 yards, 22 TDs and 8 INTs. Henne was a freshman All-American in 2004, and is expected to break school passing records by season's end. 2nd team All-American RB Mike Hart returns after rushing for 1562 yards and 14 TDs, along with backups Brandon Minor and Kevin Grady. WR Mario Manningham is back after receiving for 703 yards and 9 TDs, earning 1st team All-Big 10 honors; Adrian Arrington also returns after receiving for 544 yards and 8 TDs. The OL returns 3 starters, including 1st team All-American LT Jake Long.

Only 1 guy is back on the DL in Terrance Taylor, who had 23 tackles and 1 sack; the group lost 2 All-Americans in DT Alan Branch and DE LaMarr Woodley. Shawn Crable is the only returning starter at LB, after recording 37 tackles and 4.5 sacks in his junior season. 2 starters are back in the secondary in CB Morgan Trent and SS Jamar Adams, who combined for 92 tackles and 2 INTs; 1st team All-American CB Leon Hall must be replaced.

My Take:

Michigan ended up being a great bet in 2006, as they were 5-0 ATS on the road and covered every spread below 3 TDs. They took some major hits on defense with the loss of 4 All-Americans, which could really be a problem if they're hoping to repeat the success of last year; they won't be sneaking up on anyone, and should get some serious respect from linesmakers. I'm having a tough time seeing them be as good ATS this time around.

On offense, they should be absolutely potent and really don't have any major holes to fill. Their only big loss was WR Steve Breaston, who was 2nd on the team in receiving yards but only had 2 TDs. Henne should have his best year yet and if Hart can stay healthy, he will probably top 1500 yards again; Manningham and Arrington will be one of the conference's top WR duos. My only question mark is in the OL, which may have lost a bit of its mojo after allowing 10 sacks in the final 2 games - are they really that great of a group? I think a team with a solid DL could actually cause problems for this offense, as USC and Iowa were able to do. If the OL shows they can provide protection against some of the best fronts they'll face, no one will be stopping this offense.

On defense, I see a significant drop off to say the least. All their best players are gone in the front seven, and neither Taylor or Crable has proven they are game-changers; everyone will have to grow up fast in order for them to be even close to as effective against the run. Their biggest weakness is in the secondary, which wasn't anything special last year and loses its best player in Hall. I think the pass D will be a problem, and I see teams really hurting them in that area.

Overall, I think this is the best team in the Big 10, but I'm not so sure they'll be an excellent bet again. They have home games early on against Oregon, Notre Dame, and Penn State that could be problems, as they'll be considerable favorites and still need time to get the defense together. I really don't see a lot of great spots for them, and unless they're scary good, they shouldn't top .500 ATS.

Grady is out this year linde.

Michigan ATS wise will be the same as always. Incredible dog and shaky elsewhere.

The games at Notre Dame and at Ohio St last year catching a TD were easy.

Lloyd refuses to run scores up and they get ultra-conservative late. That hurts for big spreads.

The defense will be Big-ten fine by halfway thru the season. Oregon will be a high-scoring game and they must be careful.

Only los I see this year is at Wisky. That being said the PSU game will be a dogfight even though they haven't beat us since 1994 I believe.

Don't worry JUMP...hunt and myself will have a 12 page UM Preview available for you in a few weeks.

can't wait...the EASY cover on NOV 20th last fall would be a good read...doubt u felt that way at half...(just a guess)

Only los I see this year is at Wisky. That being said the PSU game will be a dogfight even though they haven't beat us since 1994 I believe.

You don't get to duck us quite yet....

and for the record lindetrain....this and the Ohio State thread will be the two that will degenereate..lol..

Appreciate the work bro.

can't wait...the EASY cover on NOV 20th last fall would be a good read...doubt u felt that way at half...(just a guess)

You don't get to duck us quite yet....

Def not. Thats later in the season though and the defense will be solid by then. Ohio States will be a damn good defense but UM can still put a 30 spot up on them.

PSU,OSU,UM,WISKY...gonna be fun at the top this year.

Should be a very entrataining season in the Big 10...A lot of open spots and OSU is finally not expected to win it all...Pressure will be one Lloyd John Cooper Carr....GL

I actually got to watch donovan Warren on tv last year twice. I think atleast one was on fox sportsnet west. anyways both games were versus top notch competition ( mater dei and notre dame) and this guy is an athlete. I actually remember him more for his offense in one of the games but i think meechigan landed a stud here. hope he doesnt have a great career and win the heisman from the CB position and then get drafted by the raiders like the last nfl bust that had that resume.

Manningham and Arrington will be one of the conference's top WR duos.

These two are the conferences best and quite possiblly the country's top WR duo. Greg Matthews should also have a huge impact this year. This is the best offense talent wise Michigan has had in a long time.

Breaston never lived up as the reciever many thought he could be, outside of quick WR screens. losing him hurts more on a return basis.

too bad grady is out this year, he was tearing up spring practices from what i heard...brandon minor is a stud though, having him back up mike hart should be just fine.

Back