Oklahoma State @ Texas Tech

I think they are saying TT wouldn't have won on the last second vs Texas on a neutral field, or in Austin without Texas best WR Quan Cosby, Texas best corner Chykie Brown (who would've covered Crabtree all game), without its two best defensive players majority of the second half in DE Brian Orakpo and DT Roy Miller, and with refs that actually knew what a holding call is since out of 60 pass plays Tech didn't get called for one holding play.

Of course I'm competley unbiased about this.

Kudos for Tech coming out like a team possesed especially that #93 kid on the DL.

Will they be able to field that kind of emotion one more week in a row? It was clear in the 4th quarter that defense was completley gassed. Any team with any kind of running attack should've taken advantage of it.

I like Okie St and I like OU to beat TT. If TT wins out us Longhorn fans can only take solice that he will be able to pick any job opening he wants. He probably still might be able to after that performance this past weekend. He is by far my second favorite coach in all of football. Love the guy.

The officiating was downright disgusting in the game...the zebras clearly favored Tech, and it's impossible to argue. I swear, every other pass play, I saw at least one Tech lineman either grab hold, or flat out tackle the Texas pass rushers...and not one damn holding call. I still can't believe it.

If the zebra's called a fair game, NO WAY Tech wins.

Everyone stay level headed and classy. C'mon Longhorny. Leave that to Aggy to be classless.

Your kidding with that comment, right?

Ags have never dumped drinks on a head coach, and his team, coming through the tunnel. Never torn down a goalpost and carried it into a section of the stands. Never rushed the field after a game(a reason for that, I bet you won't know).
Yeah, that's Tech fans, not Horns. But, I've given TU a flyer for helping after the bonfire tragedy, and I think it's finally expired.
Too hard for Tsips to be classy, their arrogance prevents it sometimes.

Let me get this straight ....the total yds were 345-21 at one point but Texas is just the better team..simple as that..

Maybe in dreamland...

Big 12 divisional tiebreakers
The following procedure will determine the representative from each division in the event of a tie:
(a) If two teams are tied, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative
(b) If three or more teams are tied, steps 1 through 7 will be followed until a determination is made. If only two teams remain tied after any step, the winner of the game between the two tied teams shall be the representative.
1. The records of the three teams will be compared against each other;
2. The records of the three teams will be compared within their division;
3. The records of the three teams will be compared against the next highest placed teams in their division in order of finish (4, 5 and 6);
4. The records of the three teams will be compared against all common conference opponents;
5. The highest-ranked team in the first Bowl Championship Series standings following the completion of Big 12 regular-season conference play shall be the representative;
6. The team with the best overall winning percentage [excluding exempted games] shall be the representative;
7. The representative will be chosen by draw.
If Texas, Oklahoma, Oklahoma State and Texas Tech only losses were against each other, it would drop the tiebreaker to the fifth one, the team with the highest rankings in the final Bowl Championship Series standings after regular season concludes on Nov. 29.
Here's my guess of where teams are now and my predicted wins and losses for the rest of the season.
Texas Tech (5-0)
  • Games left: Oklahoma State (favored), at Oklahoma (underdog), Baylor (favored)
  • Predicted final conference record: 7-1
Texas (4-1)
  • Games left: Baylor (favored), at Kansas (favored), Texas A&M (favored).
  • Predicted final record: 7-1
Oklahoma (4-1)
  • Games left: at Texas A&M (favored), Texas Tech (favored), at Oklahoma State (underdog).
  • Predicted final record: 6-2
Oklahoma State (4-1)
  • Games left: at Texas Tech (underdog), at Colorado (favored), Oklahoma (favored)
  • Predicted final record: 6-2

Let me get this straight ....the total yds were 345-21 at one point but Texas is just the better team..simple as that..

Maybe in dreamland...

Jump...if you're setting the line for a game between Texas and Tech in two weeks at a neutral site, who are you going to favor? I'm making the line Texas -3.

As for stats, yeah, we got our ass kicked. Yet, the final score was very, very close. So, do stats always tell the whole story? No.

Honestly, if we had won, I would be in here saying that we had no right to win that game and that Tech is a very very good team--just like I am now. And after downgrading Texas I would still have them favored by 3 on the neutral site matchup I was just talking about.

Aplous--

OU will not be a dog at Okie Lite. And OU will win that game. Bedlam is one of the most one-sided rivalries in CFB.

All this complaining about the refs, yet no mention of the phantom PI call on Crabtree late in the 4th that basically prevented a game-clinching TD and would have made all the last 2-minute heroics meaningless.

Your kidding with that comment, right?

Ags have never dumped drinks on a head coach, and his team, coming through the tunnel. Never torn down a goalpost and carried it into a section of the stands. Never rushed the field after a game(a reason for that, I bet you won't know).
Yeah, that's Tech fans, not Horns. But, I've given TU a flyer for helping after the bonfire tragedy, and I think it's finally expired.
Too hard for Tsips to be classy, their arrogance prevents it sometimes.

Nice of Aggy to rip Tech and the Horns in one statement.

I have friends who are Tech fans, none that are Aggy fans. But I've sat next to both at games. Both were very respectful and we all got along fine.

However, we're not talking about the those fans. We're talking about the outlyer fans nobody likes or is real proud of. Horns are arrogant. Aggy is arrogant with no reason for being arrogant. Tech fans get out of control because they haven't been there before. Fine.

I only heard of a couple bad stories about Tech fans going ape shit before and at the game. Most are well behaved. The students get out of control though--as evidenced by the beer spilling and rushing the field twice prematurely. Fine. It was their night.

I think the hatred between Tech and Aggy is worse now than the hatred between Aggy and the Horns. And, for the most part, Tech and the Horns get along pretty well. We'll see how that changes, if any, as Tech is clearly now the #2 team (year in, year out) in the state and may be the best in the state right now (is that ok, Tech fans and those thinking I have Burnt Orange glasses on right now?).

All this complaining about the refs, yet no mention of the phantom PI call on Crabtree late in the 4th that basically prevented a game-clinching TD and would have made all the last 2-minute heroics meaningless.

Crabtree could have been called for PI again on the last play too.

The officiating this year--particularly the lack of legitimate holding calls--has been awful in the Big XII.

RJ I don't care where the game is played, the pups in the Texas secondary have no chance to cover that receiving core anywhere...Beasley and Brown were exposed...and Texas can't pin their ears back because Tech has the backs to hurt them...

39 is the least they are going to score....Tech dominated the game...completely

You can power rank em all you want, but from a matchup standpoint and watching the game, Tech is better than Texas in my mind.

just stop...you sound completely bitter.

On the play I was referring to, the DB FELL DOWN.

Aplous--

OU will not be a dog at Okie Lite. And OU will win that game. Bedlam is one of the most one-sided rivalries in CFB.

Those aren't my predicitions......thats the blogger from ESPN.com.

OU will probably be a fav, unless Okie wins at TTech...it could be pick em.

RJ I don't care where the game is played, the pups in the Texas secondary have no chance to cover that receiving core anywhere...Beasley and Brown were exposed...and Texas can't pin their ears back because Tech has the backs to hurt them...

39 is the least they are going to score....Tech dominated the game...completely

You can power rank em all you want, but from a matchup standpoint and watching the game, Tech is better than Texas in my mind.

OK, that is your opinion. And you may be right.

We've gotten into this power rank vs. ratings debate before. We're never going to agree.

I'll agree with you that Tech kicked our butt and deserve to be ranked higher.

RJ - teams lose it happens, your taking this a little hard. T. Tech played Texas. Texas had their chance to beat them and they didnt. Its not gonna be replayed so I dont know why your asking us what we think would happen if they played again or in Austin, or in a neutral site. But that doesnt matter what we think. What matters is what happened. You Texas fans are reminding me of Patriots fans right now with how spoiled you are. Poor guys like me have to deal with much worse.

Go oklahoma!

If Crosby plays maybe Texas could have kept the ball away from Tech better and given the Dline time to rest..hard to tell..

But Tech Oline outplayed Texas Oline and that really hurt Texas offensively...and not having Cosby.

The officiating in the Big 12 has been horrible. These were the same refs that did the TX/OU game.

jump, It was a game of two halves. TT didn't score a TD on offense in the second half until there was one second on the clock. Before that play the TT offense had 25 points almost half below there average.

Also the two corners you mentioned Deon Beasley and Curtis Brown are not the normal starting corners for Texas. Ryan Palmer and Chykie Brown are. Chykie Brown was suspended for the game for missing classes and Palmer has been banged up with an injury so he needed quite a bit of rest. TT went after Beasley and Curtis Brown all day long.

I don't know how you suspend your best corner with what was on the line but Mack did it. Not alot of coaches would have.

I'm not sure either because he didn't suspend the CB that caught with weed in his car the week of the Ohio State game in 06...strange to do it now.

Texas had what two offensive TD's the second half? One was a 91 yd bomb and the other was the last drive...it's not like it was complete domination like the first half was...Tech still had over 200 yds in second half, like 60 less than Texas...

RJ - teams lose it happens, your taking this a little hard. T. Tech played Texas. Texas had their chance to beat them and they didnt. Its not gonna be replayed so I dont know why your asking us what we think would happen if they played again or in Austin, or in a neutral site. But that doesnt matter what we think. What matters is what happened. You Texas fans are reminding me of Patriots fans right now with how spoiled you are. Poor guys like me have to deal with much worse.

Go oklahoma!

Jesus Christ, guys.

Let me summarize my position and move on:

1. I'm pissed. Mostly at the Horns for coming out so flat in the 1H and for the coaches being way too cautious and conservative.
2. I'm also (mostly) over it. I've moved on. I think everything still sets up well for Texas to get to the Big Twelve Championship. We need a lot of help and we don't control our destiny--which I don't like--but I think we get there.
3. Yeah, I know. Teams lose games. I've gone through it. Pre-season I expected us to have 2 losses by now. Yet we were overacheiving and this loss was particularly painful (mostly in the manner in which we lost--last second when one play earlier we had it).
4. Tech deserves the win.
5. Tech deserves to be ranked (BCS or other standings) higher than Texas.
6. My way of evaluating teams is power rankings--where should the line be if they both played each other neutral field this week. Right now I have it at Texas -3 vs. Tech. That may be high, or even wrong, but mostly that is due to Texas' current injuries (post Tech). I also have Florida as the #1 team in the country right now. Sue me.
7. Again, congrats to Tech on the win. I'll be pissed all week. But everyone knows I'm also very level headed.

I'm not sure either because he didn't suspend the CB that caught with weed in his car the week of the Ohio State game in 06...strange to do it now.

Texas had what two offensive TD's the second half? One was a 91 yd bomb and the other was the last drive...it's not like it was complete domination like the first half was...Tech still had over 200 yds in second half, like 60 less than Texas...

Right. In my initial evaluation, I said we lost the game in the 1H and Tech held on to win.

Horn--Did not know Chykie was suspended. Knew about Palmer being banged up a bit but not having Chykie on Crabtree was not good.

Jesus Christ, guys.

Let me summarize my position and move on:

1. I'm pissed. Mostly at the Horns for coming out so flat in the 1H and for the coaches being way too cautious and conservative.
2. I'm also (mostly) over it. I've moved on. I think everything still sets up well for Texas to get to the Big Twelve Championship. We need a lot of help and we don't control our destiny--which I don't like--but I think we get there.
3. Yeah, I know. Teams lose games. I've gone through it. Pre-season I expected us to have 2 losses by now. Yet we were overacheiving and this loss was particularly painful (mostly in the manner in which we lost--last second when one play earlier we had it).
4. Tech deserves the win.
5. Tech deserves to be ranked (BCS or other standings) higher than Texas.
6. My way of evaluating teams is power rankings--where should the line be if they both played each other neutral field this week. Right now I have it at Texas -3 vs. Tech. That may be high, or even wrong, but mostly that is due to Texas' current injuries (post Tech). I also have Florida as the #1 team in the country right now. Sue me.
7. Again, congrats to Tech on the win. I'll be pissed all week. But everyone knows I'm also very level headed.

I think that this is the first time youve ever acknowledged me, hello, my name is Alex, I'm an asshole too :tiphat:

I said in another thread that I think Texas will play Florida in the NC :cheers:

Something interesting to think about - found this on our Rivals site.

"With the ninth win of the season Saturday night, Mike Leach will collect a $75,000 bonus as written in his contract. He can also make another $25,000 by making it to the Big 12 Championship game. Other bonuses down the line: $25,000 for winning the Big 12, $50,000 for going to any bowl that is Holiday, Cotton or BCS and $100,000 for winning the national championship. He also will pocket $25,000 for having a graduation rate of better than 65%."

While we have $50, $100, or $500 on the game, Leach has a lot more riding on the performance of his team. Anyone know of any other incentives for the Big12 coaches?

Something interesting to think about - found this on our Rivals site.

"With the ninth win of the season Saturday night, Mike Leach will collect a $75,000 bonus as written in his contract. He can also make another $25,000 by making it to the Big 12 Championship game. Other bonuses down the line: $25,000 for winning the Big 12, $50,000 for going to any bowl that is Holiday, Cotton or BCS and $100,000 for winning the national championship. He also will pocket $25,000 for having a graduation rate of better than 65%."

While we have $50, $100, or $500 on the game, Leach has a lot more riding on the performance of his team. Anyone know of any other incentives for the Big12 coaches?

That's actually pretty low for the top coaches in the Big 12 and for the #2 team in the country right now. What's he making yearly? And what kind of money does TT have to keep him around?

I think he's going to be the most sought after coach this off-season.

Good enough...

I do admire how hard UT fans take their losses. It's a big deal to them and that's a good thing I think.

Not sure on exact numbers, but whatever he wants, he will get. Tech sold all of their east side suites this weekend (construction will begin at the end of this season). Bowling the South and North endzones is the next phase of construction. Obviously, there's not a shortage of donations or enthusiasm for the program right now. Money won't be an issue. Leach isn't leaving. He is a top 3 coach in arguably the best conference. He's been at Tech for 7 years and his work is finally starting to show. He is a Tech icon, his family likes Lubbock and Tech gives him the freedom to do whatever he feels necessary. Keep in mind the cost of living in Lubbock compared to other places. His daughter is in Tech med-school and has 3 or 4 other children still. Unfortunately for Aggy, Leach isn't leaving.

Not sure on exact numbers, but whatever he wants, he will get. Tech sold all of their east side suites this weekend (construction will begin at the end of this season). Bowling the South and North endzones is the next phase of construction. Obviously, there's not a shortage of donations or enthusiasm for the program right now. Money won't be an issue. Leach isn't leaving. He is a top 3 coach in arguably the best conference. He's been at Tech for 7 years and his work is finally starting to show. He is a Tech icon, his family likes Lubbock and Tech gives him the freedom to do whatever he feels necessary. Keep in mind the cost of living in Lubbock compared to other places. His daughter is in Tech med-school and has 3 or 4 other children still. Unfortunately for Aggy, Leach isn't leaving.

Why didn't they extend his contract before the season? Or is that just some false ESPN story?

I agree he fits well in Lubbock but its intriguing to see what he could do in the SEC with that offense.

Blake is a bigtime stud. Stupid move for Texas to pass on him and only give him a greyshirt. That's a very good get for TT.

Blake is a bigtime stud. Stupid move for Texas to pass on him and only give him a greyshirt. That's a very good get for TT.

Horn,

I agree in principal but we're stacked at WR. Not sure why we only offered the grayshirt, but considering how stacked we are at the position, I'd concentrate on other areas of need like DL and LB this year. DL recruiting looking good, but LB may become an issue.

Good enough...

I do admire how hard UT fans take their losses. It's a big deal to them and that's a good thing I think.

:shake:

We're not as used to losing as the Aztecs.

We almost got into a fight with an Aztec at Players who decided he was actually a Raider on Saturday night. It mellowed out after I pointed out, in response to his "Texas sucks" jeering, that his "real" team is 8th in the MWC. Kind of shut up then.

We're not as used to losing as the Aztecs.

That one hurt...

Actually, we're in 9th.

<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

Threads a little off course I guess:

Here's my take:

So far, out of the so-called big 4 in the South, Texas has played the other three while none of those three have played each other...this is the first matchup that doesn't include Texas. Note in all 3 of UT's matchups, the 'dog covered and won outright twice. Therefore the 'dog definitely warrants a look here, esp with the situation favoring Lite. That being said, don't really think the Tech offense falls off too much and we'll see a similar performance to last Sat nite. B12 folks can correct me, but seemingly, Lites defensive strength is the same as UT's...the defensive line...which is often neutralized against the Tech offense because their run plays are based more on deception and the fact the QB gets the ball out so fast. No doubt Tech's defense won't duplicate LW's effort and that will likey prevent them from jumping out to a similar lead. However, I also think Tech has advantages this week they didn't have last week...namely, at QB as I think McCoy is definitely better than Robinson; and finally...pedigree or whatever you want to call it...UT knows they rule the state and can win anywhere; can't remember the last time OSU came out of Lubbock with a win and that must also be considered. Getting points with a seemingly equal team seems to be the play in a good situation. That's the way I lean for now but don't count on too much of a letdown for Tech...they're ranked second, they must be very excited with a huge campus buzz.

Okie Lite's 2 defensive strengths are secondary and DL. They do a good job in pass protection.

i think we are not putting enough credence into the fact that quan cosby was out. While i agree with horses that mccoy is far superior to robinson the fact remians that tech has to cover dez bryant in this one.

Seen the osu history in lubbock mentioned several times and i guess we have to consider that but okie st had bad history in austin too but played well there ... although the history angle panned out there. Having watched both those games vs texas , i came away more impressed with okie st than with tech. The matchups are very different though of course.

Also think it is difficult to get too many consecutive games of "good" officiating unless the school name is connecticut.

Both teams are superior offenses and that leaves backdoor possibilities to whoever the dog is and in this case that is okie st.

the most similar offensive style to okie st that tech has seen is nevada and the wolfpack moved it very well on them.

this is a very interesting game to cap ....

Texas was missing 2 key players: Cosby (#1 or #2 receiver) and Chykie Brown (#1 cover corner). Also include Palmer (#2 cover corner).

When I'm in Vegas in March VK, I may have to look ya up; think you'd be an interesting cat to have a beer with.

Having watched both those games vs texas , i came away more impressed with okie st than with tech.

I agree with you that FD's and Total Yards are a good handicapping tool (as I believe you mentioned elsewhere), yet you come up with this despite the box scores for the two games?

When I'm in Vegas in March VK, I may have to look ya up; think you'd be an interesting cat to have a beer with.

Having watched both those games vs texas , i came away more impressed with okie st than with tech.

I agree with you that FD's and Total Yards are a good handicapping tool (as I believe you mentioned elsewhere), yet you come up with this despite the box scores for the two games?

I have to agree. After watching both games vs. Texas. I'm impressed overall more with Lite than Tech. Not based on stats, just overall play.

yeah .. just perception from watching them not from boxscore analysis. Texas came out kind of flat and tech was pumped up big so i kind of take that into consideration as well.

But your point is well taken. In my history atleast ... box score analysis > what my eyes see. So i have to atleast consider the possibility that it is misperception on my part. good point.

Did Texas Tech come out flat in the 1st half since they had to settle for field goals? Texas got outplayed in the 1st half. Texas Tech got outplayed in the 2nd half.

Did Texas Tech come out flat in the 1st half since they had to settle for field goals? Texas got outplayed in the 1st half. Texas Tech got outplayed in the 2nd half.

lol no .. texas tech did not come out flat in the first half .. yes texas did .. and yes tech completely and thoroughly outplayed texas in the first half.

Agree with this.

OK, let's see if we can break down the box a little bit. Here is the game box:

<table class="tablehead" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="oddrow" align="right"><td align="left">
</td><td>
251.gif
</td><td>
2641.gif
</td></tr><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td class="bi" align="left">1st Downs</td><td>18</td><td>31</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">3rd down efficiency
</td><td>4-12</td><td>8-16</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">4th down efficiency
</td><td>1-1</td><td>0-0</td></tr><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td class="bi" align="left">Total Yards</td><td>374</td><td>579</td></tr><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td class="bi" align="left">Passing</td><td>294</td><td>474</td></tr><tr class="oddrow" align="right"><td align="left">Comp-Att
</td><td>20-34</td><td>36-53</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">Yards per pass
</td><td>8.6</td><td>8.9</td></tr><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td class="bi" align="left">Rushing</td><td>80</td><td>105</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">Rushing Attempts
</td><td>28</td><td>28</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">Yards per rush
</td><td>2.9</td><td>3.8</td></tr><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td class="bi" align="left">Penalties</td><td>8-56</td><td>8-78</td></tr><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td class="bi" align="left">Turnovers</td><td>2</td><td>1</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">Fumbles lost
</td><td>1</td><td>1</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" align="right"><td align="left">Interceptions thrown
</td><td>1</td><td>0</td></tr><tr class="colhead" align="right"><td class="bi" align="left">Possession</td><td>23:07</td><td>36:53</td></tr></tbody></table>

You should note that 184 yards of Texas passing came off 4 receptions to Malcolm Williams who was thrown to--finally--as Texas' vertical threat. With Quan out, that job fell to Williams who is a freak. The other large receiver is true freshman Dan Buckner who honestly looked lost out there.

Drive chart:

<!--current time: 1225745523514--><!-- left column -->(1) Texas 33, (7) Texas Tech 39

<!-- button nav --> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://assets.espn.go.com/profile/lib/prototype-1.5.1.1-packer.js"></script> Preview Recap Box Score Play-by-Play Drive Chart Photos Conversation
<!-- end button nav --> <link rel="stylesheet" type="text/css" href="http://assets.espn.go.com/grail/css/rater_style.css"> Game Rating:
Average Rating:
<form class="stars user-voted" action="#" method="get" accept-charset="utf-8" style="float: left;"> </form> 4.9 / 5.0 (2236 votes)

Please login to vote.

<script type="text/javascript" src="http://assets.espn.go.com/grail/js/jquery-1.2.6.min.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://assets.espn.go.com/grail/js/ui/jquery.rating.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://assets.espn.go.com/grail/js/jsr.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript" src="http://assets.espn.go.com/grail/js/rating.stars.js"></script> <script type="text/javascript"> $j(document).ready(function() { getUserRatings(); }); </script><table class="linescore" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr><td colspan="2" class="team">
</td><td class="period">1</td><td class="period">2</td><td class="period">3</td><td class="period">4</td><td class="total">T</td></tr><tr><td style="text-align: right;">#1</td><td class="team">TEX (8-1)</td><td>0</td><td>6</td><td>13</td><td>14</td><td class="ts">33</td></tr><tr><td style="text-align: right;">#7</td><td class="team">TTU (9-0)</td><td>12</td><td>10</td><td>7</td><td>10</td><td class="ts">39</td></tr></tbody></table>Final

8:00 PM ET, November 1, 2008
Jones SBC Stadium
Lubbock, TX

<table class="tablehead" style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="0"><tbody><tr valign="top"><td style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); width: 204px;"> </td><td style="width: 364px;" class="gamehead" align="center">Drive Chart</td><td style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255); width: 204px;"> </td></tr><tr valign="top"><td style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"> </td><td class="colhead" align="center"> <script type="text/javascript"> //<![CDATA[ var SOB = new flashObj(); SOB.flashFile = "http://assets.espn.go.com/nfl/gamepackage/drivechart/driveChart_14.swf?sport=ncf&hTeam=TTU&aTeam=TEX&hName=Texas+Tech&aName=Texas&gameId=283062641&gameStatus=3&period=4&baseUrl=http://"+window.location.host+""; SOB.ID = "drivechart"; SOB.width = "364"; SOB.height = "224"; SOB.wmode = "transparent"; SOB.DenyIEdl = "TRUE"; SOB.altTxt = ""; SOB.FlashVer = 6; SOB.cabVersion = "6,0,0,0"; SOB.scale = "noScale"; SOB.render(true); //]]> </script><embed src="http://assets.espn.go.com/nfl/gamepackage/drivechart/driveChart_14.swf?sport=ncf&hTeam=TTU&aTeam=TEX&hName=Texas+Tech&aName=Texas&gameId=283062641&gameStatus=3&period=4&baseUrl=http://scores.espn.go.com" swliveconnect="FALSE" quality="best" scale="noScale" flashvars="null" wmode="transparent" id="drivechart" name="flash2" menu="false" devicefont="false" salign="lt" allowscriptaccess="Always" allownetworking="All" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/shockwave/download/index.cgi?P1_Prod_Version=ShockwaveFlash" width="364" height="224"> </td><td style="background-color: rgb(255, 255, 255);"> </td></tr></tbody></table><table class="tablehead" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="stathead" style="background: rgb(239, 115, 33) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"><td colspan="7">Texas Drive Summaries</td></tr><tr class="colhead"><td>START</td><td>QTR</td><td>POSS.</td><td>YARD</td><td>PLAYS</td><td>YARDS</td><td>RESULT</td></tr><tr style="font-weight: bold;" class="oddrow" valign="top"><td>10:43</td><td>1</td><td>00:05</td><td>TEX 2</td><td>1</td><td>-2</td><td>Safety</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" valign="top"><td>06:47</td><td>1</td><td>02:27</td><td>TEX 31</td><td>7</td><td>5</td><td>Punt</td></tr><tr class="oddrow" valign="top"><td>15:00</td><td>2</td><td>02:05</td><td>TEX 8</td><td>3</td><td>8</td><td>Punt</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" valign="top"><td>09:39</td><td>2</td><td>00:46</td><td>TEX 40</td><td>3</td><td>7</td><td>Punt</td></tr><tr style="font-weight: bold;" class="oddrow" valign="top"><td>08:43</td><td>2</td><td>03:16</td><td>TTU 29</td><td>6</td><td>3</td><td>Field Goal Good</td></tr><tr style="font-weight: bold;" class="evenrow" valign="top"><td>01:37</td><td>2</td><td>01:37</td><td>TEX 20</td><td>10</td><td>72</td><td>Field Goal Good</td></tr><tr class="oddrow" valign="top"><td>15:00</td><td>3</td><td>02:21</td><td>TEX 24</td><td>5</td><td>14</td><td>Punt</td></tr><tr style="font-weight: bold;" class="evenrow" valign="top"><td>10:26</td><td>3</td><td>00:00</td><td>TTU 45</td><td>0</td><td>45</td><td>Punt Return Touchdown</td></tr><tr class="oddrow" valign="top"><td>07:59</td><td>3</td><td>00:26</td><td>TEX 19</td><td>2</td><td>-12</td><td>Interception</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" valign="top"><td>07:33</td><td>3</td><td>03:09</td><td>TEX 20</td><td>9</td><td>38</td><td>Punt</td></tr><tr style="font-weight: bold;" class="oddrow" valign="top"><td>02:38</td><td>3</td><td>02:26</td><td>TEX 42</td><td>6</td><td>58</td><td>Passing Touchdown</td></tr><tr style="font-weight: bold;" class="evenrow" valign="top"><td>11:14</td><td>4</td><td>00:14</td><td>TEX 9</td><td>1</td><td>91</td><td>Passing Touchdown</td></tr><tr style="font-weight: bold;" class="oddrow" valign="top"><td>05:45</td><td>4</td><td>04:16</td><td>TEX 20</td><td>11</td><td>80</td><td>Rushing Touchdown</td></tr></tbody></table>
<table class="tablehead" cellpadding="3" cellspacing="1"><tbody><tr class="stathead" style="background: rgb(214, 0, 57) none repeat scroll 0% 0%; -moz-background-clip: -moz-initial; -moz-background-origin: -moz-initial; -moz-background-inline-policy: -moz-initial;"><td colspan="7">Texas Tech Drive Summaries</td></tr><tr class="colhead"><td>START</td><td>QTR</td><td>POSS.</td><td>YRDL</td><td>PLAYS</td><td>YARDS</td><td>RESULT</td></tr><tr class="oddrow" valign="top"><td>15:00</td><td>1</td><td>04:17</td><td>TTU 19</td><td>7</td><td>37</td><td>Punt</td></tr><tr style="font-weight: bold;" class="evenrow" valign="top"><td>10:38</td><td>1</td><td>03:51</td><td>TTU 36</td><td>11</td><td>52</td><td>Field Goal Good</td></tr><tr style="font-weight: bold;" class="oddrow" valign="top"><td>04:20</td><td>1</td><td>04:19</td><td>TTU 4</td><td>10</td><td>96</td><td>Rushing Touchdown</td></tr><tr style="font-weight: bold;" class="evenrow" valign="top"><td>12:55</td><td>2</td><td>03:16</td><td>TTU 17</td><td>8</td><td>83</td><td>Passing Touchdown</td></tr><tr class="oddrow" valign="top"><td>08:53</td><td>2</td><td>00:10</td><td>TTU 13</td><td>1</td><td>15</td><td>Fumble</td></tr><tr style="font-weight: bold;" class="evenrow" valign="top"><td>05:27</td><td>2</td><td>03:50</td><td>TTU 40</td><td>8</td><td>46</td><td>Field Goal Good</td></tr><tr class="oddrow" valign="top"><td>12:39</td><td>3</td><td>02:13</td><td>TTU 1</td><td>3</td><td>8</td><td>Punt</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" valign="top"><td>10:26</td><td>3</td><td>02:27</td><td>TTU 20</td><td>6</td><td>31</td><td>Punt</td></tr><tr style="font-weight: bold;" class="oddrow" valign="top"><td>07:33</td><td>3</td><td>00:00</td><td>TTU 18</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>Interception Return Touch</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" valign="top"><td>04:24</td><td>3</td><td>01:46</td><td>TTU 18</td><td>3</td><td>6</td><td>Punt</td></tr><tr class="oddrow" valign="top"><td>00:12</td><td>3</td><td>03:58</td><td>TTU 20</td><td>9</td><td>55</td><td>Field Goal Missed</td></tr><tr style="font-weight: bold;" class="evenrow" valign="top"><td>11:00</td><td>4</td><td>05:15</td><td>TTU 20</td><td>13</td><td>55</td><td>Field Goal Good</td></tr><tr style="font-weight: bold;" class="oddrow" valign="top"><td>01:29</td><td>4</td><td>01:29</td><td>TTU 38</td><td>6</td><td>62</td><td>Passing Touchdown</td></tr><tr class="evenrow" valign="top"><td>00:00</td><td>4</td><td>00:00</td><td>TTU 46</td><td>0</td><td>0</td><td>End of Game</td></tr></tbody></table>

Looking at the drive chart tells the story. Texas didn't even show up until about 3:30 left in the 2H and Tech controlled the clock. During that time, Tech put up about 350 yards of offense. Tech outscores Texas 19-0 to start and finishes up 22-6 at half.

Tech also played strong in the 2H but the momentum started turning with 10:30 left in the 3rd when Ship returned the TD and really turned about 2:38 left when Texas started scoring. During that time, Texas outgained Tech 240-160 and outscored them 21-10.

The Ship punt return TD and the Colt pick 6 basically negated themselves too.

Total yards were 579-374 in favor of Tech. One of the stats that Dr. Saturday (formerly Sunday Morning QB, great blogger and analyst) likes to look at is dead yards--those yards which help add up to the total but are simply wasted because they lead to no points.

In terms of dead yards, Texas had only 58 and Tech had 152. Both very good numbers. Basically, and especially in Texas' case, what this means is that when the teams actually moved the ball, they scored.

TOP is the key stat in the game, IMO. Tech just kept Texas' D on the field for far too long and kept Colt off the field.

I still can't believe Texas loss. This game ranks second behind the Big 12 title game when Simms just lost his fuckin mind.

I still can't believe Texas loss. This game ranks second behind the Big 12 title game when Simms just lost his fuckin mind.

That's what we were debating last night on the radio show. What is worse, the 2002 Big XII Championship loss to Colorado or 2008 to Tech.

It's a toss-up in my mind. The first sucked because we had no business losing that game...at all. The second sucked because of the last minute drama. We almost came back and won a game we had no business winning (after Tech's 1H).

Both of these were worse than the 2003 game to OU where we got shellacked. At least in that game, once the blowout was on I just got numb and forgot about it.

Imagine a Leach/Muschamp coached team.

:seeya::seeya::seeya:

What this game showed--if you didn't know it already--is that Muschamp is not a miracle worker. If you're missing your top 2 corners on a young secondary and then lose your 2 senior DL during the game, even God can give up nearly 600 yards of offense.

Line is back to a flat 3. Would like a little more value if I'm going to take Okie Lite. Won't even get a good ML out of this.

Back