Official Trade Deadline Thread

The Mets got 1 million in international spending money from Oakland in the Familia deal. That may not sound like a big deal but that will allow them to sign a good prospect.

Most rental trades don't bring back much in return. Look at the pile of garbage that Detroit got for JD Martinez last year. This is why I think the Brewers can get 2 bats for practically nothing, then again we will probably barely be above .500 by the deadline so why bother.

My understanding is the Mets didn't eat any of the contract so A's didn't need to give as much back. Mets passed up paying to upgrade basically. Big market team being cheap again. As needed someone in top 10-12 prospects at least for Framilia. Not a non-entity and a lower level 3B that isn't in top 15

My understanding is the Mets didn't eat any of the contract so A's didn't need to give as much back. Mets passed up paying to upgrade basically. Big market team being cheap again. As needed someone in top 10-12 prospects at least for Framilia. Not a non-entity and a lower level 3B that isn't in top 15

You are overlooking the million they got to spend internationally which is a big deal and that the rental market doesn't yield what it used to. Even the Machado return was really underwhelming.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/sto...-get-weak-payoff-trading-jeurys-familia-early

If the New York Mets are just going to trade their most valuable major league assets for salary relief, rather than to try to improve the club, then it's time for MLB to step in and force the Wilpons to sell the team, just as the league did with Frank McCourt and the Dodgers. Trading Jeurys Familia for two fringe-at-best prospects is not how any team, regardless of payroll level, should operate in this environment. For a franchise that operates in the largest market in the league to do this -- and do so 10 days before the trade deadline rather than waiting for someone to offer a legitimate return -- is embarrassing for the Mets and for Major League Baseball as a whole....

You are overlooking the million they got to spend internationally which is a big deal and that the rental market doesn't yield what it used to. Even the Machado return was really underwhelming.

I'm not overlooking the million they get to spend internationally. That's about the only positive thing they got and it's to sign a 16 year old next year.

http://www.espn.com/mlb/insider/sto...-get-weak-payoff-trading-jeurys-familia-early

If the New York Mets are just going to trade their most valuable major league assets for salary relief, rather than to try to improve the club, then it's time for MLB to step in and force the Wilpons to sell the team, just as the league did with Frank McCourt and the Dodgers. Trading Jeurys Familia for two fringe-at-best prospects is not how any team, regardless of payroll level, should operate in this environment. For a franchise that operates in the largest market in the league to do this -- and do so 10 days before the trade deadline rather than waiting for someone to offer a legitimate return -- is embarrassing for the Mets and for Major League Baseball as a whole....

The media just loves to trash the Mets for not having a Yankee level payroll. They have spent a good amount the last few years on the likes of Cespedes and Jay Bruce and it's gotten them nowhere. I highly doubt that they were getting a better return for less than half a season of Familia.

Look what other teams have gotten in return for rentals much better than this guy. JD Martinez netted the Tigers a bunch of nothing prospects and Machado just got the Orioles one mediocre guy and a pile of garbage. I fully expect the Orioles to trade Britton for a return similar to this deal.

I'd be pissed if my team gave up more than a ham sandwich for Familia if they had to take on the remaining salary for the season. Of course I'm not much a fan of his in the first place.

I'd be pissed if my team gave up more than a ham sandwich for Familia if they had to take on the remaining salary for the season. Of course I'm not much a fan of his in the first place.

That's my biggest problem. The Mets could have likely payed some of that salary for better prospects. Ownership was being cheap and it would be tough to support that owner as a Mets fan.

Brewers got Soria from the White Sox and gave up a very good pitching prospect in Medeiros to do it. I hate this trade for the Brewers.

Brewers also got a million bucks out of it, but the big thing is Medeiros needed to be added to 40 man roster in the off season or they would have likely lost him. He wasn't being added to the 40 man roster, so they got something out of him while they could. I'm in no way in love with the trade, but it makes sense especially when you consider Medeiros probably wasn't in the plans for the organization next season with his control issues/40 man roster limitation.

Cubsker I would take you over Chatwood. I'm sure you can at least throw a strike

Funny you say that. Growing up, I had pinpoint control. I play now in an adult league and got the yips. Chatwood has better control than me. I threw 2/3 of an inning last week, walked a couple, hit one, threw a couple wild pitches, and gave up a few balls hit to the fence. Good times.

Brewers also got a million bucks out of it, but the big thing is Medeiros needed to be added to 40 man roster in the off season or they would have likely lost him. He wasn't being added to the 40 man roster, so they got something out of him while they could. I'm in no way in love with the trade, but it makes sense especially when you consider Medeiros probably wasn't in the plans for the organization next season with his control issues/40 man roster limitation.

Medeiros absolutely would have been added to the 40 man but you are right about them having a roster crunch. I just have giving up a good prospect for a rental. We got Walker and Swarzak for nothing last year and need to make similar deals this time around.

I’m pumped cards are dumping some these dogshit pen guys but why they trade tuey? He was one of our better dudes we brought into games!! We couldn’t get Seattle to take gregerson?? Lol

The star power just isn't ther in the market this year. Snakes got Escobar on a rental contract today but at least there's a legit chance he'll re-sign. If Nats decide to sell I might be convinced but other than that, leave it alone.

Mistake by them imo, prolly giving up too much for basically a scrub at this point

Dunno what they gave up, they need starters tho and he is still almost striking out a batter per inning w decent xfip and SIERA. Numbers tend to get better moving to Nl. His velo hasn’t dropped much last several years, I don’t think he a scrub, he still above replacement level in pretty much every category.

Sorry, can't see any potential playoff team being remotely concerned about facing Cole Hamels at this point in his career. He's a name.

Sorry, can't see any potential playoff team being remotely concerned about facing Cole Hamels at this point in his career. He's a name.

I always thought he was a gamer. I certainly wouldn’t hate having to take him to war with me in game 3 or 4, I’d trust he would get me to the pen with a chance.

Oh wow, that should help their offense. Was pissed cards didn’t get him in offseason. We need to deal Martinez since he can’t field but we need a bat in return since he basically our best hitter other than carp.

AND YADI :D

Oh wow, that should help their offense. Was pissed cards didn’t get him in offseason. We need to deal Martinez since he can’t field but we need a bat in return since he basically our best hitter other than carp.

This deal makes no sense for the Brewers. I guess we are moving Shaw to second but he has NEVER played the position at any level. Also Moustakas has a .309 OBP and has been terrible the last few months.

This deal makes no sense for the Brewers. I guess we are moving Shaw to second but he has NEVER played the position at any level. Also Moustakas has a .309 OBP and has been terrible the last few months.

Yea I was curious how he fit into that lineup? Would have been better for cards if they could have moved Martinez then put carp at 1st where he belongs and moose at 3rd. I didn’t realize he been so bad lately tho, don’t pay much attention to kc these days! Lol

Back