Official Heisman Thread

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
Okay, we all know this is a hokey award nowadays but it does spark some fun debate so lets start an individual thread for it. I know a few guys have futures out there as well on the winner so go ahead and discuss...

Who is your Heisman?

J.T. Barrett
Baker Mayfield
Lamar Jackson
Saquon Barkley
Bryce Love
Khalil Tate (;))
Mason Rudolph

Last edited:
Guessing you didn't intentionally omit Rudolph but he does lead the NCAA in passing yds...that said I have no clue amongst that list, like zero as of now

Guessing you didn't intentionally omit Rudolph but he does lead the NCAA in passing yds...that said I have no clue amongst that list, like zero as of now
You know what is funny, I went to type his name in and though 'his stats might not be up to par since they are a running team now'...

That was my thought process...

The winky face is here but Tate is sure fun to watch.

I am in wait and see mode. I was leaning Lamar until the last couple weeks

You know what is funny, I went to type his name in and though 'his stats might not be up to par since they are a running team now'...

That was my thought process...
Yeah they run quite a bit but Washington still has over 1000 yds...think they just run a ton more plays than the next guy

Not sure what we are debating .. who will win? Or who deserves to win?

The deserved argument is down to Love and Jackson for me at this point (obviously with the ability to change my mind).

It seems like a concerted effort is being made to deny him which kind of ticks me off. He is on pace for a better statistical season than last year with far less around him. He runs away with it last year and seems an after thought this year.

Meanwhile, Barkley keeps having shitty games and getting all the hype.

Love misses a game and stanford almost and should have lost to oregon state

I know we have to put Barkley on the list because ... well.. apparently we have to ... and apparently he is goona get votes ... but he is so undeserving of even an invite to new york let alone winning that it is almost laughable.

I would too if I were a penn state fan. He was on pace to break Barry Sanders record and no one was talking about him.

• Per ESPN, Saquon Barkley averaged -.5 yards before contact, which means, on average, he was met in the backfield on every rush. Remember: He finished with just 44 yards on 21 carries. Some have complained about Barkley going east-west too much, and James Franklin did holler from the sideline once over that, but in the end, Barkley often had no where to go.

I'd easily take Barkley who is also a special teams threat and has more open space talent despite the o line

In the biggest road game of the year for Penn State (I resisted), while nursing a big lead, they couldn't lean on Barkley to get it done. Did he even have positive yards rushing in the second half?

Team is loaded with offensive talent at the skill positions and I agree the Offensive line is average at best but that game is basically an elimination (another one) of him as a candidate isn't it?

163 rushes for 1029 yards at 6.3 a carry vs 138 rushes for 801 at 5.8 yards per carry. Similar strength of schedule.

The Former is Lamar, the later is Barkley.

Surely no one is going to make the argument that Lamar has a better offensive line in front of him than Barkley does. No one is going to argue that.

163 rushes for 1029 yards at 6.3 a carry vs 138 rushes for 801 at 5.8 yards per carry. Similar strength of schedule.

The Former is Lamar, the later is Barkley.

Surely no one is going to make the argument that Lamar has a better offensive line in front of him than Barkley does. No one is going to argue that.

Lamar is a quarterback but he doesn't win. Not to mention he gets the run with the benefit of pretending to pass. That throws off the D a bit. Also, he can't pass

Agreed.

do you think penn state has a worse offensive line than louisville? Sorry to insult you and the penn state offensive line with that question.

Omg are you really going to come with low sarcasm while we're having a reasonable discussion about football? Making a personal reference to another issue? I'd have pm'ed you this but you would have publicized it anyways. Gross.

No I am not. I am asking a question with only one answer, so as you are someone who is informed about football, I didn't want you to get insulted by me asking a question with an obvious answer. Quit taking everything so personally. I am not attacking you

Yes I have. Have you ever seen a game where he averages less than 7 yards per pass attempt this year? nope.

No I am not. I am asking a question with only one answer, so as you are someone who is informed about football, I didn't want you to get insulted by me asking a question with an obvious answer. Quit taking everything so personally. I am not attacking you

Nobody's insulting each other! How else was I to understand that but as sarcasm! But anyways, what i'm saying is that you have to account for receiving a snap in shotgun and receiving a handoff, the latter requires considerably more protection from the offensive line due to time elapsing

Yes I have. Have you ever seen a game where he averages less than 7 yards per pass attempt this year? nope.

You probably looked at that fsu game for 7 lol. 156 yards in that one. Against clemson 50% comp.
And what did Barkley do against the #1 run D (Michigan)

I would too if I were a penn state fan. He was on pace to break Barry Sanders record and no one was talking about him.
To piggyback this and Cavs post... I'd still like to see Barry Sanders behind the 1990s Dallas Cowboys line ;).

In the biggest road game of the year for Penn State (I resisted), while nursing a big lead, they couldn't lean on Barkley to get it done. Did he even have positive yards rushing in the second half?

Do you not understand how bad the line was getting dominated especially after 52 left the game? Dude can jump but you are asking him to jump 3 guys constantly in the backfield before he can even begin to think of getting back to LOS. Why do you hate such a talented player so much? Good kid too.

I like Barkley. I hate when espn tries to force him down our throats as a heisman candidate/winner when there are far more deserving players

Then blame the media, not Saquon. I just appreciate his greatness and feel bad for him but mostly myself I dont get to see all of his talents behind that O line. It's a crime. RB is one spot where you rely so much on the o line to create something for you and when they do he does the rest, hell even when they dont he does so much. Hes a sick puppy. No idea why they dont throw the ball to him more lined up as a WR though as nobody can cover him. Like against Michigan, they should do that 3-5 times per game.

I haven't blamed Barkley for anything. I am pointing out how it isn't just that he shouldn't win, but that it is laughable to even be debating such a thing. That i like him or think he is a great player is beside the point

Last edited:
ESPN loves him because he hits home runs. Splash plays, highlight reel plays, big plays, long TDs as a rusher receiver and kick returner. People tune into games just to see what he's going to do next. Some backs are boring but effecient like Ron Dayne but that doesnt attract viewers. Barkley hurdling players then spinning, stopping on a dime and housing one 80 yards is what draws viewers.

No idea who should win the Heisman. Surprised the award still exists. Barkley still in discussion because no one has stepped up. JT Barrett will probably get it if they win out.

I haven't blamed Barkley for anything. I am pointing out how it isn't juat that he shouldn't win, but that it is laughable to even be debating such a thing. That i like him or think he is a great player is beside the point

You seem to see the assessment of Heisman as rooted in mere statistical computation. As such I agree that talking about Barkley is laughable. But I think statistics disguise more than they disclose about a player

Obviously I am with VK as far as espn hyping the guy...it has went way overboard.

Now, it isn't just ESPN.

This is Penn State too. The disgusting act of having him in the game in a blowout to throw a TD pass late in the 4th quarter was unreal. What if he got hurt? I mean we know James Franklin is one of the largest piles of shit in America but jesus...

Obviously I am with VK as far as espn hyping the guy...it has went way overboard.

Now, it isn't just ESPN.

This is Penn State too. The disgusting act of having him in the game in a blowout to throw a TD pass late in the 4th quarter was unreal. What if he got hurt? I mean we know James Framklin is one of the largest piles of shit in America but jesus...

BAR we talked about this before. Like the Jags doing a fake punt in the 4th quarter in blowout vs Ravens. So that itll show up on opposing scouting report who will prepare for what won't happen again.

Sheesh sometimes I feel like Penn State defense lawyer. I should get paid

BAR we talked about this before. Like the Jags doing a fake punt in the 4th quarter in blowout vs Ravens. So that itll show up on opposing scouting report who will prepare for what won't happen again.

Sheesh sometimes I feel like Penn State defense lawyer. I should get paid

LMAO.

Dude, that is a play you save for when you actually need it. That isn't one you run in a blowout to upstage the other team to get on a scouting report.

Btw, you are a horrible defense lawyer is that is your argument.

You should recuse yourself from anything related to your home team, on the field and off.

If JT has a good Sparty game and flourishes in 'the Game' I think he wins it...ending up the season with say 40+ TD's and very few turnovers all the while being a senior QB on a potential playoff team. I am not saying right or wrong but he should be right there.

A lot of football left though.

LMAO.

Dude, that is a play you save for when you actually need it. That isn't one you run in a blowout to upstage the other team to get on a scouting report.

Btw, you are a horrible defense lawyer is that is your argument.

You should recuse yourself from anything related to your home team, on the field and off.

Well maybe he wanted to practice it in a real-game situation. Practice can never be a real game.

Well damn,

They should of practiced something like that this past Saturday while bloiwng an 18 point lead to take away an undefeated season!

That would have been a GREAT time to pull that out for a critical score or 1st down :haveanidea:

Well damn,

They should of practiced something like that this past Saturday while bloiwng an 18 point lead to take away an undefeated season!

That would have been a GREAT time to pull that out for a critical score or 1st down :haveanidea:

The risk wouldn't have been justified. But i'm sure they regret the lack of aggression on offense. Lesson learned for a team that spent all of last year fighting back from a first-half deficit. Surely you can excuse them from not being able for the second big game in a row to do this thing that is still new to them and maintain a lead on the road. We all saw the superbowl I think its easier said than done

If we look at "who is the best player in college football", I have to give the nod to Jackson. I know his team has losses but he is doing better with less than he did last year. Let's not forget that his, and RG3, losses did not stop them from winning the award.

Guessing one of Mayfield and Rudolph will put their name firmly in the hat after the game this weekend. Obviously they both likely have big games but the winner will leapfrog the other and if that winner wins out, that's a likely trip to NYC

But a QB has more opportunities to wrack up numbers. Even overlooking his pathetic compl % vs Clemson and absence of passing yards vs Louisville. He gets to take a snap in shotgun. And a QB should anyhow be expected to lead his team. Barkley is having to receive the ball yards behind the line of scrimmage and already encounter defenders. And the occasional KR return and he has taken multiple for TD

BAR do you want to just remain silent about UM's awesome run defense or does that not pass into your anti-barkley agenda?

Back