NHL News

guaranteeed

Pretty much a regular
<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/82HdhmOfT6Y" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

bad news for the red wings

Pavel Datsyuk turns 36 on July 20th, 2014. That birthday will be celebrated a few months after the last minutes of hockey he'll ever play for the Detroit Red Wings. Next year will be his last in the NHL and that's according to a very reliable source in Detroit, someone close to the organization and entrenched in regional hockey programs.

Why? Datsyuk wants to go home. We all understand that. But according to this source, a guy who skates with at least one recently-retired Red Wing and whose family is a staple in the Michigan hockey world, it's not just the lure of mother Russia.

Datsyuk sees the realignment, knows the kind of nightly abuse he's going to take in the Eastern Conference and wants to "go out like Barry Sanders did." Healthy, in other words. And he wants to give the KHL a few years of brilliance. He wants his home country to see him while he still has magic left.

Haven't seen a thread about the new realignment in the NHL, but wanted to discuss a bit (not really on the realignment, but on a tangential topic). I read an article about realignment, and the 'loser point' was mentioned. The 'loser point' was said to have helped the game, as more teams seem to be in the playoff races longer than in the past. The only problem I have with it, is that it makes no sense to have some of your games be worth 2 points, and some of them worth 3. That's the reason more teams are in the playoff races longer, they are getting points for getting to OT but not winning, while a team that wins in regulation only gets the same 2 pts that an OT/SO winner gets.

I'm wondering if this is even brought up at all in the NHL meetings. There's a very easy solution to the problem, and one that you would think the NHL would have been all over when they realized their games were not weighted equally. You would award 3 points for every game. If you win in regulation, you get 3 points (and the loser obviously gets 0). If you get to OT, each team gets a point, and the winner in OT/SO gets the 2nd point. This way, the teams who are actually winning in regulation get more credit for their wins, as they should. Just because more teams are "in it longer" doesn't mean that it's right, or that it makes any sense.

you made your point in the reasoning all ready

teams in it longer means more attendance and higher ratings for more teams late in the season, it's not changing so there's nothing I imagine they would discuss, the only thing I have ever heard mentioned is switching to a 10 minute 4 on 4 OT or going to 3 on 3 instead of a shootout, or possibly a mixture of both, 10 mins of 4 on 4 followed by 3 on 3 until a winner (both of which I would be in favor of)

I think Healy's suggestion on HNIC was the simplest and most likely to implement to reduce the trend of games ending in shootout (~58%). Just switch ends in overtime and force long changes.

I understand Getzlaf, because centers like that are so hard to find

but Perry is an overpayment, I get that they had to keep him (Friedman explained it quite well I forget if it was on HNIC or in 30 thoughts) but it's still crazy money for a guy with 1 elite year and 2 (turning in to 3) very good years

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/I40HfH1UiXo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4hFcJ-jk8nA?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sharks are selling

not surprising

I wonder if they unload Thornton/Marleau this year or wait until next, guessing next because the cap is set for next year but likely goes up for 2014/15

Iginla

http://www.cbc.ca/sports/hockey/opi...-gasoline-poured-on-flames-trade-rumours.html

Q: OK, what are the teams?A: There are multiple reports of the Pittsburgh Penguins, Chicago Blackhawks, Boston Bruins and Los Angeles Kings. I was nervous Saturday about specific teams because there was conflicting information. Initially, the four mentioned to me were Pittsburgh, Boston, Los Angeles and Anaheim Ducks. I don't like to guess and wasn't certain.
Here's the kicker, though. There are some excellent sources who say Iginla would go to the Vancouver Canucks.

Bouwmeester has to go now, possibly Cammallerri and a few others (Glencross, maybe Giordano, Kipper if he will go)

Would have been nice to dress iggy for a shift last night. Should be a good piece ...

Took long enough for the flames to blow it up

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/wUjqoJ1UGwM?feature=player_embedded" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Hybrid icing needs to happen

TSN already talking Canadian olympic team... lol

maybe they'll learn that this trade deadline isnt a 1 month show... especially in a season with 10-12 games left...

yawn

Kiprusoff staying put, may retire...

personally hope the Leafs dont make a goalie move... get a right side d man for gardiner and call it a day

If the Leafs were to trade for Kiprusoff, they would be doing so with the full understanding that he would strictly be a rental player even though he still has one year left remaining on his contract following this season.It has been suggested that Kiprusoff may choose to retire at the end of the season instead of playing out the remainder of his contract, which sees him earn just $1.5 million next season, down from the pro-rated $5 million that he pocked this year.

Marty Erat and Michael Latta to the Caps for Philip Forsberg (18 year old prospect who I've heard some good things about). Interesting....

Probably so Teed. Still too early to tell what Forsberg will be though. This trade would have made more sense if the Caps had more pieces in place and were a serious contender for the cup this season. They still lack defense and even if they squeak in the playoffs its hard to see anything but a first round exit with or without Erat

And on top of the above - Washington ties up future cap space making it tougher to re-sign Ribiero at the end of this season. There isn't anyone in this town other than dipshit McPhee who would rather have Erat than Ribs next year....

The life of a Caps fan... sigh.

Forsberg may be a bust, but it's still a horrible trade of a guy with legit #1 center potential for a decent 2nd liner in Erat, value wise it makes no sense

especially for a team that certainly isn't contending this year

the Wild trade as well, Pominville is a solid player, but they gave up 2 guys who will be NHL players and a 1st/2nd

he still scored 41 last year... IMO there was something with Torts in NY that put him off... he'll be fine

Back