NFL playoffs second round lines

comparing them to the eagles i can see on defense far as scheme goes because Spinguelo (sp?) was a defensive coach of phila last year. but he changed what worked in phila to work for giants players on d.

mcnabb is a HOF worthy qb imo. eli is not close yet. he is 3rd tier or so. with tom and peyton being tier 1. mcnabb, brees, big ben being tier 2.

eagles secondary is a hell of a lot better.

lines are about the same on offensive side.

giants far better at stopping run then the 07 birds were.

birds have no big back.

And Thomas Jones to Bradshaw is an awful comparison IMO respectfully. Bradshaw didn't even play in four games and didn't even get carries in eight. Thomas Jones was the rock. You can't compare him to Jones after two good weeks.

what games has eli won for them this year? i can think of the game vs bears on that last series. what other ones were there that he took over and got them a close dubya?

not at dallas, not home to dallas, not at home to GB, not at atlanta, not at phila, not at home to washington, not at home to vikings,

i cant remember at washington or at lions. were those ...

I said Manning can take a game over. And he won them that playoff game. And he was the reason for coming some close to knocking off the Patriots.

I'll get blasted for it I know but I love Rivers and think he is going to be a great quarterback. I do think he has the "ability" but he can't really show it because he is overshadowed by his vastly talented teammates. Whenever the team does something, it's always because of Tomlinson and Gates and when they fail, it's because Rivers messed up. I do think he can be the reason his team wins games because someone is throwing those passes to Gates and Chambers. The guy has all the tools and is a smart quarterback. He studies the game as hard as the best and is only going to get better.

Rivers is the kind of quarterback I want leading my favorite team. It sucks to have had no one like that as the Bears quarterback during my lifetime.

of the 8 qbs left i have them as follows when it comes to taking over a game when they would have to.

def yes
tom
peyton

yes
romo
favre
hassel

dunno/maybe/shoulder shrug
rivers
garrard
eli

I would not put Romo in that company. Romo has shit the brick to end seasons and he hasn't shown me ANYTHING in the playoffs yet. I don't care his team is the number one.

i can see favre and romo going other which way so i put them in middle group. but hasselbeck i cant see moving up or down.

I was comparing the Giants to last year's Eagles squad mostly from the standpoint of how many tough games they've had to end the season and how many they've ended up playing on the road.

It's certainly not exactly the same, because the Giants didn't 'need' to win their last five like the Birds did last year, but they've now kind of had a lot of either tough games or road games in a row.

Basically I'm just looking for that point at which they burn out. Which I'd feel better about if they didn't kind of end up coasting to end the game last week.

The comparison's not great, really. Because what the Eagles did was harder, and part of that wasn't even their doing, it was a scheduling quirk by the NFL.

Stop if you've read this before: The Colts expect Marvin Harrison to be in the starting lineup Sunday. But they're guaranteeing nothing.
The team's eight-time Pro Bowl receiver went through practice Wednesday, as did everyone else on the Colts roster except cornerback T.J. Rushing, who was out with an illness.
Speculation had been high that Harrison, who missed 11 of the last 12 games after injuring his left knee Sept. 30 against Denver, would be ready for the postseason, which begins Sunday against San Diego.
"I probably can't say without any doubt that he'll play because I thought that he might play the last week and it didn't work out that way,'' coach Tony Dungy said. "But he's practicing. We're planning on him starting, but we'll see how it goes.''
Harrison practiced in the days leading up to the regular-season finale with Tennessee but was held out of the game after going through pregame drills.
Eight other players who missed the Titans game because of injury practiced Wednesday: defensive end Robert Mathis (knee), offensive tackle Ryan Diem (knee), safety Antoine Bethea (knee), defensive tackle Raheem Brock (rib), wide receiver Anthony Gonzalez (foot), tight end Ben Utecht (shoulder) and cornerbacks Tim Jennings (concussion) and Keiwan Ratliff (hamstring).
"I think we will be as good healthwise as we've been in a long time,'' Dungy said.

from today's Indianapolis Star

I think if Harrison's practicing, he'll play. Also, they say the last time they tried to 'ease' him back into the line up he ended up being on the field for over 70 plays.

I have zero idea how effective he'll be, but I think he'll play.

I also think the rest of those guys are probably good to go, but they're still likely going to need to have some defensive starters on special teams.

they did a good job bringing in pressure in the last game... Don't you remember that crazy play when Romo was ready to tuck the ball in and just go down then the last second he throws to a wide open receiver in the left side of the endzone... he was able to make crazy plays and overcome the pressure... I'm just wondering if he can step it up and do it again... the first game was crap defense... for both teams.. bottom line...

as for your offensive line not getting the credit they deserve.. please Diz.... they have 3 offensive lineman starting in the pro bowl... that's more than any other team (even the undefeated one)... how much more credit, recognition, and attention do you want for them??

I do remember that whaky play were Romo managed to get it off. Romo should have saw him earlier, the guy was WIDE open right from the beginning of his route because Witten took 2 defenders with him leaving Curtis for an easy TD.

I'm not asking for the offensive line to get any more credit or attention, all I am trying to do is get YOUR attention. They must not stick out to you when you watch the Cowboys. Its all Romo and TO who get all the glory, their oline is a big reason why. They have done well with the Giants "feared" dline twice this season and you should recognize that. And if you want....go ahead and vote for them in the probowl :)

It's never enough for Cowboy fans, Diz. Every year that their entire offense isn't starting in the pro-bowl it's a liberal conspiracy don't 'cha know.

=)

This game gets won in the trenches no doubt. If Dallas can protect Homo, he rips that secondary apart. And if that nicked up NYG line can't keep Eli off his *ss, the Giants won't see the high teens in points.

But if they can get pressure, and keep Dallas off Eli, they're right in this thing.

Once again, I didnt even bring up this probowl speak. And i'm not so sure how liberal of a conspiracy it would be. I'm not here to advocate dallas players for the probowl i'm here to tell you how they match up against the giants. And they match up well.

I was kidding, Diz. Hell, as an Eagle fan I'm not even sure I'm allowed to talk with you at all.

=)

Yeah, Harrison's knee is pretty serious--or was supposedly pretty serious. For safety's sake, I'm not counting on any production at all from him on Sunday as far as 'capping the game.

If, however, he's in the lineup at all, even as a decoy, he will have an impact at least early.

Has anyone else gotten the feeling that the Patriots could be knocked off by Jax or am I being delirious. I'm even thinking of a ML play at +600 just for giggles. I've been reading up on the Jags and I tell you what, they are so pumped up for this game. They are treating it as their "Super Bowl".

"We love it," defensive end Bobby McCray said Wednesday. "This is what we've been waiting for all year. It's a perfect situation, a perfect stage and we're going to see what we can do."

Dont forget how physical these Jags are. I dont think what you saw in the second half of that Pitt game is any indication of what you will see from Jax this Saturday. They have a super strong running game and pretty good defense. I think they will leave it all on the field Saturday. In any case, I believe they cover easily. I cant freakin wait.

Has anyone else gotten the feeling that the Patriots could be knocked off by Jax or am I being delirious. I'm even thinking of a ML play at +600 just for giggles. I've been reading up on the Jags and I tell you what, they are so pumped up for this game. They are treating it as their "Super Bowl".

"We love it," defensive end Bobby McCray said Wednesday. "This is what we've been waiting for all year. It's a perfect situation, a perfect stage and we're going to see what we can do."

Dont forget how physical these Jags are. I dont think what you saw in the second half of that Pitt game is any indication of what you will see from Jax this Saturday. They have a super strong running game and pretty good defense. I think they will leave it all on the field Saturday. In any case, I believe they cover easily. I cant freakin wait.

This "physical" Jacksonville team still cannot beat Indy remember.

Here was my thoughts on the second Dallas/NYG matchup. And a lot of what was said still rings true with this sundays matchup.

You can find the thread HERE

The mediots, and a certain high profile four letter network love to give the Giants an excuse for their poor defensive play early on in the season. They tell you about the new scheme, the new coordinator learning his players, and last but not least we hear about Strahan not being in game shape from missing preseason. What happened the first 2 weeks of the season? Dallas and Green Bay dropped 80 on them. Then Washington, NYJ, Philadelphia (without Thomas at LT), Atlanta, S.F. None of these teams are a threat to score a ton of points. No wonder why their defensive ratings have climbed so much. The Jets, 49ers, and Falcons are terrible. Atlanta had issues before the season started, the Jets are a mess, SF had their backup QB in, Philly sacrificed Winston Justice at LT, Redskins gave them a game, then Eli passed for a whopping 58 yards barely beating Miami in a sloppy London.

Are they really as good as everyone really thinks they are?

The giants strength on D is their D-Line, and they are good don’t get me wrong. However, their DT’s are average at best and will be nullified by RG Bigg Leonard Davis and pro bowl C Andre Gurode. The Dallas o-line is the quiet strength on this team. They have been playing superb, and have not gotten much mention…. just ask Philadelphia, they threw everything but the kitchen sink at the Dallas line and they couldn’t lay a finger on Romo.

The Giants Defense is basically a mirror of Philly, scheme-wise that is. They brought over the Eagles linebacker coach Steve Spagnuolo in the offseason as their new defensive coordinator. They love to stunt their lineman and bring everything. They tried to do it the first week of the season, and will surely try it on Sunday. Will they have success with it? They didn’t the first week, Philly couldn’t do it at home, can NY? I don’t think so. The only way they will is if Dallas beats themselves with penalties. And the refs love to flag dallas when they play the Giants. They played a pretty good game penalty wise @ philly.

Osi U. was knocked out of the game early in the last matchup. His stats are inflated because of Winston Justice subbing for William Thomas. This time he will have his hands full with a legit LT Flozell Adams, who stonewalled the Eagles sack leader Trent Cole last Sunday. On the other side we have Strahan (who is ageing but always a threat) vs. Marc Columbo. These guys know each other and it will be a good matchup to watch. Colombo played well against Javon Kearse, and has had good games vs. Strahan.

But beyond the D-line is where they Giants problems are. They still have a safety issue opposite of Gibril Wilson. And do they plan on putting CB Ross on Owens? Now, I liked Aaron Ross coming out of Texas and Ross has played well this season as a rook, but they blitz him a ton. They probably do that to limit his coverage liabilities. Nobody on this team can cover Owens…..NOBODY! Not Madison, not McQuarters.

And in the past nobody has been able to cover Witten. If they can isolate Kiwanuka on Witten, or any of their LB’s or safties for that matter, they they will have a hard time with him. Especially with the tight window’s Romo can put it through. Remember last season Giants fans? When the giants wore blood red and with 1 minute left 1st and 10 at DAL 32(1:00) (Shotgun) T.Romo pass deep left to J.Witten to NYG 26 for 42 yards, they were able to get Piece covering Witten.

On the other hand, Dallas’ defense is “suspect” because of what New York and New England did to them. It is funny how all the sudden New England being “the best team of all time” doesn’t factor into their assessment of the Dallas defense.

The media doesn’t mention that Dallas has a new defensive system and coordinator. The talking heads ignore the fact that the Phillips and Stewart are learning how to use their players as well. Never mind that they have been doing it with Ellis, Newman and Henry missing major time and Reeves and Jones getting thrown in the fire, and playing pretty well actually. Just like Osi U. Dallas DT Jason Ferguson was lost in the first quarter of game one also. Jay Ratliff has done an amazing job, but does anyone outside of Dallas care, no.

This week we will have a healthy Dallas defense with a new face and have also quietly climbed in defensive rankings also. They are ranking 8<sup>th</sup> in terms of YPG behind the Giants at 7. For the second time this season the cowboys top 2 corners will also be on the field together, and Plaxico will have a tougher time getting open this week. And Plaxiglass is always a threat, in my opinion he is the biggest mismatch in the NFL. Dallas deep coverage was good against the secondary, aside from the 46 yard pass to Reggie Brown where the eagles were able to burn the cowboys on a 6 man rush. Dallas has been giving up the underneath stuff, and holding up pretty good in the secondary and should only improve when Newman moves over to his left corner spot and Henry @ right corner.

And guess what?..…the TANK gets to make his debut.
tank.gif

That should help in keeping a fresher D-line rotation.

Yep, Diz, you and I went head to head in that second matchup.

I really liked NY. They melted under the pressure.

Tough to see them, especially banged up, not do something similar on Sunday.

I'm not asking for the offensive line to get any more credit or attention, all I am trying to do is get YOUR attention. They must not stick out to you when you watch the Cowboys. Its all Romo and TO who get all the glory, their oline is a big reason why. They have done well with the Giants "feared" dline twice this season and you should recognize that.

funny thing is, I don't EVER remember saying their line sucked... or that Romo and TO are glorious heroes.

Originally Posted by EDizzle
The only way they will is if Dallas beats themselves with penalties. And the refs love to flag dallas when they play the Giants

not sure why you say that... the Giants and Boys are flagged pretty much equally when they play each other... They boys had like two more penalties or so in each game this year and the Giants had like two more in each game last year... and yardage wise, it's nothing drastic...

in fact, I can recall some penalties that went against the Giants on crucial plays.

And if you want....go ahead and vote for them in the probowl :)

just noticed this statement.. haha... I don't know exactly what you meant by it, but Pro Bowls' don't mean shit in the end... it's the ring that counts... If the Giants pull it out on Sunday, I could care less how many pro bowlers they had... I'm sure Brady and Co. could care less the Boys had more Bowlers... all they want is that ring... hopefully you won't have to settle for the Boys ending the season with nothing but a list full of pro bowlers.

when S Roy Williams makes the Pro Bowl you know the Pro Bowl means nothing imho.

when S Roy Williams makes the Pro Bowl you know the Pro Bowl means nothing imho.

That's why Brian Westbrook didn't f**k around and went first team All Pro as well.

=)

I think Indy is the only play for me this weekend. The difference between Rivers and Manning is too great, especially without Gates. I'd lean GB, NE and Dallas, but not enough to wager on.

That's why Brian Westbrook didn't f**k around and went first team All Pro as well.

=)

you know Joe... I think I love your Eagles just about as much as you love my Giants... but I gotta say... when I saw Westbrook pull off that stunt against Dallas and stopping at the 1 yard line... I was speechless. Right now, I don't think there is one other back in this league that would have done that in that same situation... there may be a couple that would do it if they would think of it, but I don't think in the heat of the moment with the td in front of them that they would... he showed alot that day... to alot of people... and to think he is set to sit on the bench in Hawaii next to a part timer (Barber) and watch a rookie (Peterson) who was injured at times get the first class seat... he worked hard this season and the Eagles were not the same team without him.

Back