NFL playoffs second round lines

I would happily jump all over that 2.5.

I'd also buy that 4 down to three from you and sell my living room furniture to get down on it.

Of course, then Indy would throw up one of their patented home playoff game snooze-fests, somehow win by 2 and you'd own my couch.

definitely a different year this year... no way do all dogs cover this time... it's seems like this year just has that extra spice to it unlike recent years past... a 16-0 undefeated team, a meeting between the Boys and the G-Men in the playoffs for the first time EVER... the G-Men having an 8-1 road record this year and now any games they play in the playoffs are on the road... The Packers making a statement out of nowhere... and most importantly, none of the line are less than 9 points... that's pretty crazy... with those lines, it would be hard to expect a repeat of having one of the dogs win straight up.. these are all pretty big dogs.

brew, seeing as to how you expect those type of lines, does that mean you are going to be pounding the hell out of the dogs??

that's pretty funny Joe.. a snoozefest... I had actually thought of that happening myself... but it won't happen though. Indy may play that slow pace strategy game against Tennessee or Jacksonville since their offenses are not potent enough to drive down the field in a hurry or to spread the field... but SD is and I'm sure the Colts are going to want to put up over 30 points in this one... they will probably approach it the same way they would approach New England... they gotta put up a shitload of points and outdo them... specially since SD beat them in the early meeting.. they won't want them hanging around too long in this one... Jacksonville will probably want to try to approach the Patriots the same way they approach the Colts, the thing is, Manning plays that slow game with them and just tries to have the ball with the lead at the end to run things out... the Pats won't do that.. they are going to want to score as many times as they can... and against Jacksonvilles' pass defense, there will be plenty of opportunities.. I think New England looks pretty solid right now to go undefeated... although I personally think if anyone is going to beat them, it's Mannings' Colts... I don't see any other team being able to match up with them at full force.

I agree Moss wont be going anywhere.

Blitz, I dont hate em because they talk trash. They just didnt give Dallas any respect after they came into NY and beat them for a second time by 10 points. Osi said they were still the better team, um Osi you just lost by DD twice this season just admit you got beat by the better team. I have played football before, not any college ball tho.

Now there is another chance for the giants to beat dallas. But they still havent fixed their coverage woes. Dallas is still a team that can expose your linebackers and safties for what they really are.

Really, despite Jags, Seahawks, Chargers, and Giants fans, is there anybody who really doesn't want to see Cowboys vs. Packers and Pats vs. Colts for the Conference championships?

Really, despite Jags, Seahawks, Chargers, and Giants fans, is there anybody who really doesn't want to see Cowboys vs. Packers and Pats vs. Colts for the Conference championships?

The more i think about it, the more I like the points in all the games....in fact, Id be shocked if one (more likely 2) of the dogs DIDNT win

Blitz, I dont hate em because they talk trash. They just didnt give Dallas any respect after they came into NY and beat them for a second time by 10 points. Osi said they were still the better team, um Osi you just lost by DD twice this season just admit you got beat by the better team. I have played football before, not any college ball tho.

Now there is another chance for the giants to beat dallas. But they still havent fixed their coverage woes. Dallas is still a team that can expose your linebackers and safties for what they really are.

Dallas did sweep the Giants, but that does NOT mean they are the better team right now.. as in TODAY...

you and I both know that first game coulda gone either way... it was 3rd and 7 and the Cowboys had the ball with a couple minutes left in the game and they were only up by 3... if the Giants stop them there, Giants coulda driven down the field for a tie or win... but McQuarters fell on his ass and Hurd caught a quick slant and ran it all the way.. that's why it was a 10 pt game... Eli didn't even bother coming out anymore after that...

the home game was more Dallas, but the Giants have been great on the road this year and that's where they rematch Dallas this weekend...

besides, since when did sweeping a team mean they are the better team... I thought it just meant you have a teams' number...

Chicago swept the Packers this year.. so what's your point?

you always have to eliminate from everything.. don't you Joe. lol.

Except politically. There I'm all big tent all the time.

Go Obama.

Oh, and for the record, I'm pretty sure the Steelers beat the Browns three times in one year the last time Cleveland went to the playoffs, I think that happens to the Giants this week--mostly because those f**kers should have won the game in NY and p*ssed it away.

you always have to eliminate from everything.. don't you Joe. lol.

Except politically. There I'm all big tent all the time.

Go Obama.

oops.. I guess I corrected my post too late.. I meant you always have to eliminate ME from everything..

I was so looking forward to saying who I would like to see in the final four, but seeing as to how you eliminated the entire Giants fan base across the world.. I must now hold my tounge.. hehe

Oh, and for the record, I'm pretty sure the Steelers beat the Browns three times in one year the last time Cleveland went to the playoffs, I think that happens to the Giants this week--mostly because those f**kers should have won the game in NY and p*ssed it away.

correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't the Cowboys once sweep a team in the regular season and then lost the revenge game (third meeting) in the playoffs to that team??

I just found the answer to my own question above.. it was in the 1998 playoffs.. and to the Cardinals of all teams...

http://sports.yahoo.com/nfl/news;_y...YF?slug=ap-playofflookahead&prov=ap&type=lgns

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=yspsctnhdln>Dallas will go for a 3-game sweep next week against the Giants

</TD></TR><TR><TD height=7><SPACER type="block" width="1" height="1"></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE><STYLE type=text/css> td.yspwidearticlebody { font-size: 13.5px; }</STYLE><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD class=yspwidearticlebody>By DAVE GOLDBERG, AP Football Writer
January 6, 2008

The only time the Dallas Cowboys had a chance to beat a team three times in one season, they lost.
To the Arizona Cardinals, of all teams.
They get another chance to do it next Sunday against the New York Giants, who set up their third meeting of the season by beating Tampa Bay 24-14.
"We're looking forward to going down there. We play well there," wide receiver Amani Toomer said after the Giants' win in Tampa Sunday. "We know them, they know us. We even know each others' backups."
Since the NFL-AFL merger in 1970, teams have played three games in the same season 53 times, but only 17 of those included teams that won both regular-season matchups, according to STATS Inc. In 11 of those 17 games, the team that won the first two games also won the third, the last time by St. Louis over Seattle in 2004
Dallas' loss to the Cardinals was in the 1998 playoffs after the Cowboys won the two regular-season meetings. That postseason defeat was at Texas Stadium.
But that shouldn't bother the Giants (11-6), who won their eighth straight road game in Tampa on Sunday.
In fact, the last time the Giants lost on the road was opening night in Dallas (13-3), when the Cowboys beat them 45-35 in a game in which New York had a shot until the end. That was before the Giants' defense came together -- it gave up 35 points to Green Bay the next week before turning around, leading the NFL in sacks and carrying the team in those games in which Eli Manning played badly.
Dallas also won 31-20 at Giants Stadium in a game in which the Giants stayed with the Cowboys for a half.
If Terrell Owens' ankle allows him to play at close to his normal speed, Dallas will have a pretty good edge. Tony Romo's mobility has given the Giants' aggressive defense fits -- he threw a touchdown pass sidearmed after scrambling to the line of scrimmage at the Meadowlands.
But Manning plays pretty well against the Cowboys. He threw for 312 yards and four TDs in that opening game and won there a year ago.
The Giants also are playing as well now as they have all year, scaring unbeaten New England in the last regular-season game before dominating the Bucs.
The Cowboys don't have that momentum. But they have the rest. They can only hope that the time off gave T.O.'s ankle time enough to heal.

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Moss is for sure a HOFer and he isn't going anywhere. He has said he wants to win a ring. If he does this year, why leave? Like said already, he can continue his crazy numbers if he stays in NE.

Interesting to see people coming around to the dogs. I agree that at least one dog will win SU.

Someone made a point that if you give Bill two weeks to prepare, it's all over. In 2003, they had the number one seed and eeked out a three point win over the Titans. The next year as a number two seed, they beat the Colts 20-3. Not sure what to take of this.

I would think giving two weeks to Bill would mean things could get ugly but Jacksonville has played very well and is built to beat the Colts. They run very well, play smashmouth football, and are confident as hell.

And about Moss again, remember that he took a pay cut COMING to NE.

true, but alot of that was because he just wanted to get the hell outta dodge.. plus his value and stock is worth a helluva lot more after this year than it was after last... he could see some real eye catching numbers thrown his way... with alot of zeros at the end... hehe.

true, but alot of that was because he just wanted to get the hell outta dodge.. plus his value and stock is worth a helluva lot more after this year than it was after last.

Yeah, he did that in part so he could delay the payday. Moss likes him some money ("straight cash, homey"), but he'll fight for some money after this season. Then Brady might have to call him up and lay the smack down. If he listens, he'll get a bump, but not what he thinks he's worth, if he doesn't, he'll move on. Because the Pats don't play that s**t.

true, but alot of that was because he just wanted to get the hell outta dodge.. plus his value and stock is worth a helluva lot more after this year than it was after last.

Yeah, he did that in part so he could delay the payday. Moss likes him some money ("straight cash, homey"), but he'll fight for some money after this season. Then Brady might have to call him up and lay the smack down. If he listens, he'll get a bump, but not what he thinks he's worth, if he doesn't, he'll move on. Because the Pats don't play that s**t.

that's true.. NE has shown they don't play that shit in the past.. but it's possible they just thought the players that wanted to play that game were not worth playing it for... I wonder if they change their tune for Moss... I'm sure they would do it for Brady if it came down to it.

Dallas did sweep the Giants, but that does NOT mean they are the better team right now.. as in TODAY...

you and I both know that first game coulda gone either way... it was 3rd and 7 and the Cowboys had the ball with a couple minutes left in the game and they were only up by 3... if the Giants stop them there, Giants coulda driven down the field for a tie or win... but McQuarters fell on his ass and Hurd caught a quick slant and ran it all the way.. that's why it was a 10 pt game... Eli didn't even bother coming out anymore after that...

the home game was more Dallas, but the Giants have been great on the road this year and that's where they rematch Dallas this weekend...

besides, since when did sweeping a team mean they are the better team... I thought it just meant you have a teams' number...

Chicago swept the Packers this year.. so what's your point?

you are talking about the first game of the season about that first loss? A lot of things have changed by then, no?

The home game was more Dallas? Yea I know that I watched that game. But i havent played football before so i dont know what i'm talking about, right?

So sweeping a team means that they are the better team? No it just says that they beat them TWICE by 10 each!

Why do you bring up one article from the past? Is that supposed to be historically significant? I wouldn't put too much stock into that theory. Lets analyze the match in hand THIS weekend. Not something that happened years ago, thats just silly.

you are talking about the first game of the season about that first loss? A lot of things have changed by then, no?

yes... alot of things have changed from then to now... for one, the Cowboys have not been playing too hot lately as they did back then.. and second, the Giants are playing hotter now than they were then...

The home game was more Dallas? Yea I know that I watched that game.

actually, the Giants had there chances to win that one too... ;)

But i havent played football before so i dont know what i'm talking about, right?

I thought you said you had??... seriously Diz... the question about you playing football before was simply because if you had, you would know how easy it is to get caught in the moment and start trash talking the other teams and players... specially when a game is hyped... it has nothing to do with whether you know what you are talking about or not.. no need to hype up the question and turn into something it's not...

So sweeping a team means that they are the better team? No it just says that they beat them TWICE by 10 each!

exactly my point... that's all it says... that they beat them TWICE by 10 each...

The bottom line is... if Dallas wins on Sunday, then they did what everyone expects... and they complete the sweep and move on just like they are supposed to do... but if they lose, then the sweep is not complete and the two regular season wins won't mean shit... and to top things off, everyone will be talking about how the Cowboys went from being Monsters of the NFL to crumbling down at the end of the season and being ousted in the first round to a 5th seed... personally, I just don't think the Giants have anything to lose this weekend... they already got past Vegas expectations.

Why do you bring up one article from the past? Is that supposed to be historically significant? I wouldn't put too much stock into that theory. Lets analyze the match in hand THIS weekend. Not something that happened years ago, thats just silly.

the article was simply a response to Joes' comment about the Browns.. I NEVER said it has anything to do with capping this Sundays game... just like the trash talking and the two Dallas wins by 10 points each won't determine this Sundays' game either.

naw Blitz i wont be pounding any lines for $20-$100. lol. just watching. but i would lean to all the dogs. however, the owens and gates injuries and the return of marvin make me wanna stay away from those games.

while sd looked good without gates in the 2nd half i have to contribute some of that to the titans secondary just looking lost in space/pass coverage. indy wont let anything get behind them and keep the play and the ball infront of them.

dallas has shown nothing without owens. i have no knowledge of his ankle (other than what papers say). im not willing to put money on some public newspaper clippings. i would have to see in person, which is not possible, or thru a tv set how he can plant and cut off it coming out of a pattern.

i can see jacksonville being cute and come out throwing on new england. i have a 1st quarter/1st half under lean in that game.

holmgren getting 10 or so looks real good vs green bay and a first time playoff coach in mccarthy. if i was going to bet seattle with pts would be it even tho im a packers fan this postseason. shhh.

Last edited:
yes... alot of things have changed from then to now... for one, the Cowboys have not been playing too hot lately as they did back then.. and second, the Giants are playing hotter now than they were then...

Yes Dallas hasn't been playing so hot lately. But they haven't exactly played bad football. Everyone wants to think the Giants are playing hot right now and Dallas is terrible now. Thats fine if you want to look at the last 4 games of the season, even though both teams went 2-2 in that span. Granted one of the Giants losses was against an undefeated team, but the cowboys also went into a buzzsaw the final week of the season with little motivation and their backups.

The Giants looked good beating tampa, while Dallas earned the first round bye. The gaints have been pretty impressive running the football this season, their offensive line has played very well. And that worries me if I am a Dallas backer (I havent chosen a side yet, but you know where my loyalties are)

There are some injury concerns with Ohara and Madision, maybe you could keep us updated. If Ohara is out you can bet you ass Dallas will be bringing pressure up the middle. Oh and their will be pressure off the edges also with Ware and Ellis. Last game in NY everyone was telling me the Giants defense has gotten better since the first meeting, and their pass rush is too much. What happened? Dallas still put 30 points on them, and could only sack Romo once in each game. I havent heard anyone give Dallas oline any props, because they are the strength on this offense. Eli wasnt to comfortable that game either he got sacked 5 times, Dallas is capable of bringing serious pressure to this next matchup either and they shouldnt be overlooked.

I have a feeling both teams will come out and establish the run. This could really shorten up the game and keep this total under. Dallas offense will also be less explosive is Owens cant play, but I still think he will play. After reading some of the Dallas area news a lot of the writers think that the cowboys are putting out smokescreens for TO. He has missed the media portion of practice all week, but he has been practicing all week.

I disagree with this though somewhat respectfully. You are basing your thoughts on Moss and money due to his past. Hasn't his "past" been somewhat (and I really mean somewhat) changed due to what has went down this year? He took a pay cut to come to New England. He said before he came that his desire was to win a Super Bowl ring. The thinking that he will demand a ridiculous contract is attributed solely to his past and nothing else. He has been a team player and Coach Bill has called him "the smartest football player he has ever been around." Like said, why would he leave but more importantly again, what makes people think he will "fight" for money? Of course he will be compensated but I don't think this gets ugly in ANY way. My two cents...

Yes Dallas hasn't been playing so hot lately. But they haven't exactly played bad football. Everyone wants to think the Giants are playing hot right now and Dallas is terrible now. Thats fine if you want to look at the last 4 games of the season, even though both teams went 2-2 in that span. Granted one of the Giants losses was against an undefeated team, but the cowboys also went into a buzzsaw the final week of the season with little motivation and their backups.

you can put the blame on lack of motivation and the use of backups, but the fact is that Romo hasn't proven he can finish strong...

Last year, he had a great start, but then he threw eight interceptions to just six touchdowns and fumbled the ball seven times in the last five games of the regular season. This year (since week 14) he's thrown only one touchdown, has had five picks and three fumbles....

the funny thing is people were saying Eli starts looking ugly down the back stretch... if Romo doesn't produce on Sunday, maybe they will have someone else to pick on.

by the way, I'm leaning UNDER as well...

the Giants led the league in sacks... and just because they only got to Romo once in each game doesn't mean they didn't pressure and hurry him... they only got to Garcia once last week, but they were literally all over his ass all game long.. that's all you need to do to make a quarterback uncomfortable enough to start making mistakes and start missing receivers on crucial downs.

I love how there are two totally separate conversations going on in this one thread.

To the Dizz/BB conversation, f**king O'Hara, that guy's absence was supposed to be my ace in the hole last week. Only it turns out that it's TB's line that decides they can't block. F**kers.

Still, if he's out again, I do like Dallas. I'm beginning to think TO doesn't play this weekend, which means he'll sulk on the sidelines, and his absence is huge, but I still think Dallas can sin--IF they can generate pressure on Eli. Eli's the classic case of if you put pressure on him, it all goes to s**t, if not, he can pick you apart.

To the Goop conversation, I do think Moss humbled himself a bit this year, but I also think he learned a lesson in Oakland, saw the way Porter was handling it, and knew that was the way to get the hell out of there.

I'd agree that he's grown up somewhat, but the guy just set a record for TD catches, you don't think he's going to come looking for some more cake? And, really, why shouldn't he?

I think they give him another one or two year deal, nothing that breaks the bank, and it will be up to him if he's willing to live with not being the highest paid receiver in the game and staying with the Pats, or if he wants to go to, you know, TB, make a lot of money and potentially never be heard from again like he was in Oakland.

I still say he ends up sticking around in NE.

I love how there are two totally separate conversations going on in this one thread.

To the Dizz/BB conversation, f**king O'Hara, that guy's absence was supposed to be my ace in the hole last week. Only it turns out that it's TB's line that decides they can't block. F**kers.

Still, if he's out again, I do like Dallas. I'm beginning to think TO doesn't play this weekend, which means he'll sulk on the sidelines, and his absence is huge, but I still think Dallas can sin--IF they can generate pressure on Eli. Eli's the classic case of if you put pressure on him, it all goes to s**t, if not, he can pick you apart.

To the Goop conversation, I do think Moss humbled himself a bit this year, but I also think he learned a lesson in Oakland, saw the way Porter was handling it, and knew that was the way to get the hell out of there.

I'd agree that he's grown up somewhat, but the guy just set a record for TD catches, you don't think he's going to come looking for some more cake? And, really, why shouldn't he?

I think they give him another one or two year deal, nothing that breaks the bank, and it will be up to him if he's willing to live with not being the highest paid receiver in the game and staying with the Pats, or if he wants to go to, you know, TB, make a lot of money and potentially never be heard from again like he was in Oakland.

I still say he ends up sticking around in NE.

I think we agree on the same idea abou Moss. He does deserve money because he has shown he is the top WR in the game. That said, like you said, I don't think he asks for something that breaks the bank. :cheers:

I've noted, esp. at covers, something being made of the fact that JAX is a *public side*.

one thing above all is clear - if the Pats lose any playoff game, the books will not be crying, irrespective of how much their winning opponent was hit for that individual game, because at this point the boatloads of cash on the Pats to win it all surpasses everything.
The books will no doubt dance with glee if the Pats fail at any stage this post season.

by the way, I'm leaning UNDER as well...

the Giants led the league in sacks... and just because they only got to Romo once in each game doesn't mean they didn't pressure and hurry him... they only got to Garcia once last week, but they were literally all over his ass all game long.. that's all you need to do to make a quarterback uncomfortable enough to start making mistakes and start missing receivers on crucial downs.

I'm aware that they lead the league in sacks, I was giving props to dallas oline play for only given up 2 of them. Tampa's oline is terrible, do you think NY will be able to bring the same pressure vs. dallas oline without getting exposed in coverage? There is a big hole right in the middle of the Giants defense.

The patriots are going to DESTROY Jacksonville. It will be a mirror of what happened there last time with Garrard.

I believe Del Rio started Garrard for the first half cause Sandwich was hurt and Garrard got em into the playoffs.

I think the Giants went in with a pretty good gameplan against the Bucs... Eli usually like throwing the ball downfield... during the season, 20% of his passes were thrown at least 15 yards past the line of scrimmage.... against the Bucs he only threw one pass over the 15 yards... good thing it was completed.. hehe.. but they played the short game all game long.. mainly because they knew there would be alot of pressure... Boss has stepped up nicely in place of Shockey... I figure they may want to continue to try on the short game this week as best they can, but I don't know how long that will last as those deep balls get tempting to try when you see your wideouts open... that's another reason I figure it will end up going UNDER though.

I'm aware that they lead the league in sacks, I was giving props to dallas oline play for only given up 2 of them. Tampa's oline is terrible, do you think NY will be able to bring the same pressure vs. dallas oline without getting exposed in coverage? There is a big hole right in the middle of the Giants defense.

they did a good job bringing in pressure in the last game... Don't you remember that crazy play when Romo was ready to tuck the ball in and just go down then the last second he throws to a wide open receiver in the left side of the endzone... he was able to make crazy plays and overcome the pressure... I'm just wondering if he can step it up and do it again... the first game was crap defense... for both teams.. bottom line...

as for your offensive line not getting the credit they deserve.. please Diz.... they have 3 offensive lineman starting in the pro bowl... that's more than any other team (even the undefeated one)... how much more credit, recognition, and attention do you want for them??

first seeing this now, but the gmen remind me more of the chicago bears of last year than the eagles of last year JP.

It's never enough for Cowboy fans, Diz. Every year that their entire offense isn't starting in the pro-bowl it's a liberal conspiracy don't 'cha know.

=)

This game gets won in the trenches no doubt. If Dallas can protect Homo, he rips that secondary apart. And if that nicked up NYG line can't keep Eli off his *ss, the Giants won't see the high teens in points.

But if they can get pressure, and keep Dallas off Eli, they're right in this thing.

first seeing this now, but the gmen remind me more of the chicago bears of last year than the eagles of last year

In what weird way?

Their defense isn't half the defense the Bears' was, and Eli, as bad as he can be is better than Rex. Also, your Bears had a much better one, two RB punch.

I don't see it.

But I do think if TO doesn't play they have a chance.

thomas jones --- bradshaw
benson ---- jacobs

rex --- eli. however, eli plays his best against the best teams and not so much vs lesser teams. ive noticed that with him. while with rex on the other hand last year it started off well in the first month. looking back on that month and season in all i contribute that to the league not having much on sexy. as last season went on they got more flim on him (his mechanics, where he was at his best throwing it, where he wasnt, if he watched the primary wr out of and into his full break, that sort of thing. year went on and rex was had by defenses.

defensive front 4 --- both get after the qb and get hits.

safeties --- both are better in run protection. gibril wilson is one of the hardest hitters in the nfl imo.

where they are different ... corners, linebackers, special teams all edge bears.

Not sure how the Bears are compared to the Giants. The Giants offense can be much more vertical with Burress and Manning. Manning can take over a game unlike Rex. They can win because of Manning. And their defense is no where close.

Back