NFL Divisional Round Playoffs Discussion

Colts defense in 2013-14

All home games
1st half. - avg. of 14.33 pts against ... +5.22 pts diff.
2nd half - avg. of _9.11 pts against

All road games
1st half. - avg. of 13.25 pts against ... +5.38 pts diff.
2nd half - avg. of _7.87 pts against

Conceding 0 points in a half, home & away

1st half. - 0 instances
2nd half - 4 instances (3 on the road)

Conceding 20+ points in a half, home & away
1st half. - 4 instances (2 on the road)
2nd half - 1 instance (1 on the road)

Colts D has been consistently & markedly better in 2nd halves this season, no matter what the venue or quality of opponent.

Last edited:
Colts defense in 2013-14

All home games
1st half - avg. of 14.33 pts against ... +5.22 pts diff.
2nd half - avg. of 9.11 pts against

All road games
1st half - avg. of 13.25 pts against ... +5.38 pts diff.
2nd half - avg. of 7.87 pts against

1st half - 0 instances
2nd half - 4 instances

1st half - 4 instances
2nd half - 1 instance

Colts D has been consistently & markedly better in 2nd halves this season, no matter what the venue or quality of opponent.

You leaning Colts ATS for the game, BC? I'm looking, itching for a reason to go along with the gut feeling.

If you like the Colts, tip, then surely those stats beg for you to wait til h/t before betting. No matter what the score (within reason), why would you think their defense does anything different this time round?

I'm not much of a live game bettor.

New England has to be a 2nd-half monster too, right, or am I just thinking of a few games?

New England has to be a 2nd-half monster too, right, or am I just thinking of a few games?

They did have a string of 3 straight games of big 2nd halves, recalling rightly: Denver-Houston-Cleveland. I think the 1st 2 games made for the 3rd, in so far as off 2 tough contests in 2 weeks NE just took CLE lightly until they got in deep doo-doo. But the consistent factor to their having big 2nd halves in this stretch was trailing at the half.

------

edit: Did some digging, tip.

Games in which the Pats have trailed at the half
Avg 1st h. team total - _2.60 pts (@home - _1.00 pt)
Avg 2nd h team total - 25.80 pts (@home - 28.33 pts)

Games in which the Pats have led at the half or been tied
Avg 1st h. team total - 15.00 pts (@home - 17.40 pts)
Avg 2nd h team total - 12.72 pts (@home - 14.20 pts)

As long as the Pats don't trail at the half, their season trend for scoring less in the 2nd half plays into the Colts D's penchant for conceding less in the 2nd half. Also...

Pats defense in 2013-14

All home games
1st half. - avg. of _9.12 pts against
2nd half - avg. of 11.50 pts against ... +2.48 pts diff.

All road games
1st half. - avg. of _8.87 pts against
2nd half - avg. of 11.33 pts against ... +2.46 pts diff.

1st half. - 1 instance
2nd half - 2 instances (1 @home)

1st half. - 1 instance (@home)
2nd half - 4 instances (3 @home)

Pats D's trends pretty much play into the Colts scoring more in the 2nd half as well.

Last edited:
If you like the under in Sea, get on it now. With this forecast, the number is going to continue dropping. I saw winds in the 20's with gusts to 50 mph forecast for Saturday.

I'm hoping the line drops enough for me to be able to get a reasonable price on Hawks team total o24 (best I can find now is -153).

This. They are going to try to establish the run as much as they can. Considering how the last game went in Denver, why wouldn't they. However, can Matthews even play?

This is huge. He did not practice yesterday. If he doesn't play, I'm staying away. If he does, I'll put something small on SD.

we interrupt this program for a special bulletin:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/zHbk92G655k" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bet has a point, you're definitely going to get a couple of marginal teams weaseling their way into the playoffs—but that happens now.

I hear you, Joe. But the fact it happens now, just means it's going to happen even more often. Which means more boring one-sided affairs that have no business calling themselves playoff games. And since we know the refs have the keen sense to 'generate outcomes' to keep games closer/more competitive than they otherwise could or should be, it means more nefarious calls to shore up the quality of the product. This just opens the door to see more of the worst the NFL has to offer. For what? More late drama at reg. season's end, which in itself isn't even guaranteed?

And Goodell truly lives by the CREAM motto so this was going to happen.

Yep, it's about greed.

It surely is about greed, as revenue from playoff games is not shared with the players. I forget who it was, but a current NFL player was on TV somewhere the other day, NBCSports Network maybe, and he was saying how much he hated the idea and gave his reasons. I would imagine the players' association will put up a big fight against this, so while it may seem like a foregone conclusion, it may not be quite there yet. We shall see, but I think it's simply about greed, and personally hate the idea. Why mess up a good thing?

Good read on Peyton's eight one and done playoff games and how much is he at fault:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10266254/are-peyton-manning-one-dones-fault

Thursday, January 9, 2014
Peyton Manning's playoff blemish

By David Fleming
ESPN.com

Several years ago when I attended the Manning Passing Academy in Thibodaux, La., one of the first people I sought out was Cooper Manning, the eldest of the Manning brothers. You see, as the third of four boys in my family, I understand better than most that if you really want the unvarnished, brutal truth about somebody, just ask their brothers. When I caught up to Cooper, I explained my theory on brothers-as-sources and then I asked him one simple question: After Peyton won Super Bowl XLI, had his notoriously intense, type-A, by-the-book, brother been able to, ya know, loosen up?
Nope, Cooper replied with a knowing chuckle. Not one little bit. Peyton's more Peyton than ever, he said.
This anecdote popped into my head the other day as I sat in front of my computer screen gob-smacked, trying to make sense of what is one of the more startling, and overlooked, stats of this season's NFL playoffs: Peyton Manning, the as-yet-to-be-named league MVP, has gone one-and-done in the postseason a record eight times, four more than anybody else.
For anyone who has enjoyed 2013, The Season of Peyton, something just does not compute. Was this the same guy who, at 37 after four neck surgeries, had just thrown for a record 5,477 yards and 55 TDs while setting a new and virtually unattainable standard of excellence for the art of quarterbacking?
That Peyton Manning? Eight oh-fers?
I mean, in Cincinnati, quarterback Andy Dalton has gone one-and-done three years in a row and they're already talking about running him out of town.
Is it possible that Peyton Manning, the greatest passer of all time, is somehow, secretly, the Buffalo Bills of playoff quarterbacking?
And, if so, with just a few days before the Broncos' first playoff game and Manning's potential ninth one-and-done, why the heck isn't anyone else talking about this? Are we all so mesmerized by his gaudy regular-season stats that we'd just ignore, possibly, one of the most remarkable performance anomalies in all of sports?
Maybe Manning is so good in the regular season he is able to cover up his team's flaws only to watch them get exposed against elite competition in the playoffs? Maybe he played great in these games and his teammates choked? Maybe the Colts and Broncos were underdogs in these games and not expected to win anyway? Maybe, from a historical perspective, losing your first game in the playoffs eight times is no big deal and we should actually applaud him for getting to the playoffs so often (this is his 13th trip)? Maybe they just ran into a team of destiny, you know, like, eight different times?
Or, maybe, like Cooper had confirmed, Peyton's single flaw, his Achilles' heel, is the fact that the extreme parity and high stakes of the playoffs elevates the importance of the one quarterbacking quality he doesn't possess in droves: the risk-taking, go-for-broke, improvisational, gunslinger mentality.
There had to be some explanation. So, using data originally compiled a year ago by Grantland's Patricia Lee, I decided to get to the bottom of this by breaking down each of Manning one-and-dones.
See for yourself.
[h=3]GAME 1: Jan. 16, 2000, divisional, Titans (14-3) at Colts (13-3)[/h] Spread: Colts by 5½
Score: Titans 19, Colts 16
Manning performance: 19-42, 227 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT, 62.3 passer rating. Indy didn't score its first TD until after the two-minute warning.
Mitigating factor: Colts defense gave up 162 yards rushing to Eddie George.
Manning blame scale (1-10): 8
[h=3]GAME 2: Dec. 30, 2000, wild card, Colts (10-6) at Dolphins (11-5)[/h] Spread: Colts by 1½
Score: Dolphins 23, Colts 17, OT
Manning performance: 17-32, 194 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 82 passer rating.
Mitigating factor: Colts soft defense gave up 209 yards to Lamar Smith. Sensing a pattern here? Mike Vanderjagt missed a 49-yard field goal in OT.
Manning blame scale: 6
[h=3]GAME 3: Jan. 4, 2003, wild card, Colts (10-6) at Jets (9-7)[/h] Spread: Jets by 6
Score: Jets 41, Colts 0
Manning performance: 14-31, 137 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT, 31.2 passer rating.
Mitigating factor: Colts had the ball for just 7:44 in the second half of one of the worst shutouts in NFL postseason history.
Manning blame scale: 9
[h=3]GAME 4: Jan. 15, 2006, divisional, Steelers (12-5) at Colts (14-2)[/h] Spread: Colts by 8½
Score: Steelers 21, Colts 18
Manning performance: 22-38, 290 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 90.9 passer rating. Sacked on fourth down with 1:20 to play.
Mitigating factors: Returning a fumble late in the game, the Colts' Nick Harper had a clear path to the end zone and the winning TD, but he was tackled by Ben Roethlisberger. The Colts missed a 46-yard field goal that would have tied the score. The Steelers went on to win the Super Bowl.
Manning blame scale: 7
[h=3]GAME 5: Jan. 13, 2008, divisional, Chargers (12-5) at Colts (13-3)[/h] Spread: Colts by 11
Score: Chargers 28, Colts 24
Manning performance: 33-48, 402 yards, 3 TD, 2 INT, 97.7 passer rating. Manning threw for more than 400 yards, but his picks ended two excellent scoring opportunities.
Mitigating factors: The Chargers were without their starting QB and running back and were a double-digit underdog, but they still scored 28 points against the Colts' No. 1 ranked scoring defense.
Manning blame scale: 8
[h=3]GAME 6: Jan. 3, 2009, wild card, Colts (12-4) at Chargers (8-8)[/h] Spread: Colts by 2½
Score: Chargers 23, Colts 17, OT
Manning performance: 25-42, 310 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 90.4 passer rating.
Mitigating factors: Manning never got to touch the ball in OT after a 22-yard rushing TD by the Chargers ended the game.
[h=3]GAME 7: Jan. 8, 2011, wild card, Jets (11-5) at Colts (10-6)[/h] Spread: Colts by 2
Score: Jets 17, Colts 16
Manning performance: 18-26, 225 yards, 1 TD, O INT, 108.7 passer rating. Manning led a drive with under a minute to play to put the Colts up 16-14.
Mitigating factors: The Jets returned the final kickoff 47 yards and moved into game-winning field-goal range in only five plays.
[h=3]GAME 8: Jan. 12, 2013, divisional, Ravens (11-6) at Broncos (13-3)[/h] Spread: Broncos by 8½
Score: Ravens 38, Broncos 35
Manning performance: 28-43, 290 yards, 3 TD, 2 INT, 88.3 passer rating. Interception in OT led to Ravens' winning field goal.
Mitigating factors: Broncos gave up a 70-yard TD pass with 1:09 to play.
Conclusion? I hate to be a killjoy, and I tried until I was dizzy to spin these stats, I really did, but there's no way around it. As great as he is, in the opening games of the playoffs, as my colleague Bomani Jones likes to say, Manning suffers from "First-degree lemonbooty."
Yes, poor play by the defense was a factor in a lot of these games and several times Manning put his team in a position to win only to lose because of a missed field goal or a fluke play. But, for the most part, the more you dig the worse it gets. A perfect example of how we tend to re-write history in Manning's favor is the Ravens game from a year ago. Most of us tend to blame the Broncos' sleepwalking defense for giving up a 70-yard pass to send the game to overtime. Now maybe it's all the fantasy wins he has given us, or all those adorable against-type commercials, but it was Manning's interception in the second OT that set up the winning field goal. Or had you forgotten?
[h=4]<center>NFL PLAYOFFS 2013-14</center>[/h]
<center></center> ESPN.com is your online source for the most comprehensive playoff coverage.
2013-14 NFL playoff schedule
Chadiha: 10 questions, AFC edition
Clayton: 10 questions, NFC edition
Colts-Patriots matchup page
Chargers-Broncos matchup page
Saints-Seahawks matchup page
49ers-Panthers matchup page
Matchups: Quick Takes | Injury Wire

In the Ravens game, for the sixth time in his eight one-and-dones, Manning's passer rating (88.3) was below his career average of 97.2. What's more, the Broncos were playing at home after a week off and were favored by 8½ points. In fact, Manning's team was favored in seven of his eight one-and-dones. Twice they lost to the eventual Super Bowl champs, sure, but the Hall of Famer Manning has been outgunned and one-and-doned by, among others, Mark Sanchez, Jay Fiedler and Chad Pennington.
Adding historical perspective doesn't help Manning's case, either.
Manning has twice as many one-and-dones as any other quarterback in the Super Bowl era. Joe Montana has four in 11 trips. Manning's closest contemporary, Tom Brady, has played in four more playoff games than Manning and has gone one-and-done only two times in 10 trips.
The plain truth is Manning has not played well in the playoffs, overall, but especially so in close games. According to ESPN Stats & Info, Manning has 50 game-winning drives in the regular season and only one in the playoffs. In fact, in one-possession games, Manning is 2-7 overall in the playoffs. (His take on this is classic Peyton: Game-winning drives only mean you did something wrong earlier in the game to fall behind. Not exactly Brett Favre, is he?)
In the regular season, Manning's career completion percentage is 65.5 and his touchdown-to-interception ratio is more than 2-to-1. But in the fourth quarter during the playoffs, his completion percentage falls to 58.3 and he has seven touchdowns against seven interceptions. By comparison, Eli Manning's numbers go in the opposite direction. From the regular season to the playoffs, Eli's completion percentage jumps from 58.5 to 61.5 and his TD-INT ratio goes from 1.3 to 2.1 in the playoffs, where improv and gunslinging often trumps preparation and perfect execution. Eli just had one of the worst regular seasons, ever. Peyton had the best. But in the playoffs, you need a gamer, you need a guy who can scramble out of a sack on third down and complete a pass to someone's helmet, if need be.

[h=4]<center>FLEM'S LONGREADS</center>[/h] More from Flem File columnist and ESPN The Magazine writer David Fleming:
Flem File
Measuring coach-QB relationships
Cup check: Protection lacking
2013 Turkey of the Year Awards
Beginning of end for NFL
In appreciation of batted passes
Who did it: Lions or Will Ferrell?
Luck-Manning link goes way back
From The Mag
Brees, Payton belong together
Packers' blaze of glory
OTL: Marathon of their lives

Yes, Peyton has the best brain in the game, the best work ethic, best study skills, best field vision, best preparation and best execution but, according to one expert who has studied Manning since his college days, the one thing he lacks is the ability to throw caution to the wind, let the ball fly and make something out of nothing. Normally, when you call Manning a robot it's a high compliment. But not in the playoffs. There, it can be a liability.
Knowing this, defenses tend to play a lot of nickel and dime, clog the field, muddy his reads and get him to overthink and suffer from paralysis by analysis. And, because of his age, his neck and his kudzu-like speed, well, improvising with his feet, the way Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernick or Russell Wilson can, is totally out of the question.
So what does this all mean?
Well, I think the data is pretty clear cut.
If Manning falters yet again Sunday against the Chargers and suffers his ninth one-and-done in the playoffs, he'll still go down as one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game.
Fifty-one weeks of the year.

Wow, I really didn't know he was that poor in those 8 one and done games. I've read lately about his overall playoff stats, in articles that defend him and say he isn't really a playoff choker, but seeing these stats from these 8 games makes you open your eyes a bit. Football is a team game though, and no one should solely suffer the blame for a loss.

They just reported from Seattle's home stadium and it looks real nice. They also said the 100% chance of rain has gone down to 59% of rain. Not sure how they figure that out but forecasters fail ALL the time. But the field and weather did look nice. If there's no rain coming down, I bet the line goes back up to 47 or so. They were still forecasting 20 mph winds too.

There was a stretch when playing the home teams off the bye in this round was a license to print money, but it's tapered off in the last 10 years. No golden goose lasts forever. I think this week's tricky. My old habit is to lean with the out-of-sight, out-of-mind team off the bye, but these road quarterbacks are all pretty capable of the shocker. As Lareaux suggested, one of those big faves probably gets knocked off.
Agree with this...now I see bye teams coming in cold...some losing some winning but it makes me lean to 1H unders and buy teams 1H TT unders

[h=1]The Secret Of The Seahawks' Defense? Fouling, Maybe[/h]
The Wall Street Journal has a fascinating look at the dominant Seahawks secondary, which seems to have been able to turn just about everyone into a star. Part of that is the remarkable amount of pressure they bring, but another part—perhaps—is as brilliant as it is simple. Maul receivers, because there's no way officials will throw flags on every play.
The Seahawks were tops in the league in defensive pass interference penalties, and were among the leaders in defensive holding. But as we've learned, penalties probably don't correlate with success one way or the other. Instead, the key might be all those plays that could have been called but weren't.
"They look at it and say, 'We may get called for one but not 10,'" said Mike Pereira, a former NFL vice president of officiating who is now a Fox analyst.
It's even more devious than that. No one knows what a catch is in the NFL anymore, and with changing and complex rules, no one knows what constitutes a penalty either. It varies from week to week, official to official, and the Seahawks seem able and willing to take advantage of that. From a Seattle Times story in October:
Seattle defensive coordinator Dan Quinn said the calls so far are not a huge cause for concern, other than making sure the players remain aware of how the games are being officiated.
"It's nothing that we get too wrapped up in," he said. "The thing we try to do is just educate what's going on around the league, in terms of, 'This was called in this game. This was called in this game.' ... [F]or us, it's important just to know what's kind of the climate of how it's being called."
How do you figure that out? Easy enough. Mug receivers early on and see where the line is. In the WSJ piece, Pereira says the Seahawks "test" referees early in the game "to see what kind of tone the officials are going to set."
This isn't evil, it's genius. Seattle knows that even if it fouls on every play, officials know they'd be the ones to catch hell for throwing too many flags. Football's always been about doing whatever you can get away with—you can find offensive lineman holding on just about every play—and you can get away with an awful lot more in the playoffs than you can in the regular season. So, good luck, Saints.

Ryan Mathews (questionable, ankle) missed his third straight practice Friday.

Mathews has been playing without much practice time in recent weeks, but aggravated his ankle injury in last week's win at Cincinnati, and his availability for the Divisional Round is now in doubt. Mathews does have more time to heal up, as the Chargers don't play until Sunday evening against the Broncos. At this point, however, it's unclear whether Mathews will be a factor. He rushed 29 times in San Diego's Week 15 upset of Denver.

If Brady had some real weapons would say indy gets thrashed for sure, game just doenst look right for them regardless.

A year ago, Rob Gronkowski, Aaron Hernandez, Wes Welker, Sebastian Vollmer, Vince Wilfork and Jerod Mayo were half of the dozen best players on the Patriots. None of them will be suiting up for the Patriots this postseason. In fact, only 8 of the 22 starters for New England in the Super Bowl two years ago are even on the active roster. Perhaps most surprising of all, Tom Brady is the only player on the team’s active roster who has won a Super Bowl ring.

New England won 12 games this season, but not in typical Patriots fashion. The Patriots outscored opponents by “only” 6.6 points per game, the lowest margin for any Brady-led team since 2005. New England threw 25 touchdowns and allowed 25 touchdown passes, the only time under Brady the Patriots have not thrown more touchdowns than they allowed.

Hate Indy but they may be the upset that gets through. Very popular dog though which somewhat sucks.

New Orleans has played 4 teams w/winning records on the road this season, where their offense has been most esp. challenged in the 1st half -

1st Half Scores
7-17 @NEG
7-27 @SEA
6-7 ..@CAR
6-7 ..@PHI

By way of contrast, in 5 road games vs teams w/sub .501 records they only once failed to score less than 10 pts (avg. 12.20 pts for).

------

Seattle @home w/Wilson @QB has played 7 teams with winning records at reg. season's end...

- 5 times they led at the half, tied once & trailed once. Average points differential of +7.42

- In at least 1 half of every one of these 7 games, they have restricted their opponent to less than 7 points/no TDs (4 times in the 1st half, 4 times in the 2nd half - on 6 of these 8 occasions they held their opponent to 3 pts or less).

- They've come away with 6 SU wins vs. the 1 loss, the latter being an all but meaningless contest (from any "need-to-win" pov) in week 16 this season vs. Arizona (in contrast to the fact Arizona was in a must-win spot to have any chance of a playoff spot).

- FTR, these teams averaged 7.14 pts in the 1st half & 6.43 pts in the 2nd half over these 7 games.

So, Nawlins has been shitty all season in 1st halves against decent teams, and Seattle's D has been indomitable in at least 1 of 2 halves against decent teams its faced @home under Wilson.

Marshawn better have a great game today. I'll be on his prop. Hopefully I don't jinx him and he stays healthy

I don't think they are very good, but there is probably value on Indy above 7. I can see a NE 3-4 point win this week.

agree….homer with ne….watched all their games this year….close game or ne blowout because indy falls apart on the big stage

Saints should be able to go man and stack the box with this wind. Its a tall order for SEA to cover this number I think....

[TABLE="class: tableOdds"]
<tbody id="oddsBody">[TR="class: row-odd"]
[TD="class: team"] 1/11

4:35 PM

111 New Orleans Saints
112 Seattle Seahawks
[/TD]
[TD="class: pct"] 64%
36%
[/TD]
[TD="class: pct"] 61%
39%
[/TD]
[TD="class: pct"] 52%
48%
[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

blowout city :)

[h=1]2013 Divisional Playoffs - Saints at Seahawks
Weather Report[/h] [TABLE="class: game"]
<tbody>[TR]
[TH="colspan: 3"]Kickoff: 01/11/2014 04:35 PM EST[/TH]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="colspan: 3"]Showers and possibly a thunderstorm. High near 49. Breezy, with a southwest wind 25 to 28 mph, with gusts as high as 39 mph. Chance of precipitation is 90%.[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

New England Patriots linebacker Brandon Spikes was placed on season-ending injured reserve partly because he was late for practice last week, league sources told ESPN.
The Patriots placed Spikes on IR on Monday, a surprising move considering the linebacker played all 16 regular-season games despite being hobbled by a knee injury for much of the year.
But Spikes was late for New England's bye week Friday practice, which was the final straw for Patriots coach Bill Belichick, who already had fined him for multiple incidents that the linebacker believed were practically explained, according to league sources.
Spikes took to Twitter on Friday, Jan. 3, to publicly appeal for help when his car apparently was stuck in the snow.
The Patriots and Spikes mutually agreed to the IR designation as opposed to an outright release, which would have made the linebacker available to the remaining playoff teams.
The Patriots host Andrew Luck and the Indianapolis Colts in Saturday night's AFC divisional playoff game.
Spikes, who will be a free agent this offseason, will receive the Patriots' playoff shares this postseason before hitting the open market on March 11.
Spikes, 26, recorded 86 tackles -- the third-highest total on the team -- and one interception this season, his fourth with the Patriots.

BdDeVbIIUAIzaj9.jpg

Dan Quinn - C - Seahawks

ESPN's Adam Schefter reports Titans owner Tommy Smith is "smitten with Seattle" that Seahawks DC Dan Quinn is expected to be a finalist for Tennessee's head-coaching vacancy before he even interviews.

This meshes with what NFL Network's Ian Rapoport reported Thursday -- that Quinn is viewed as a "top candidate" for the Titans job. As Schefter pointed out, Quinn has yet to interview for the gig. It's unclear when that will take place, but our best guess is that it will happen once the Seahawks' playoff run comes to a close. Quinn is in his first season as Seattle's defensive boss. Previously, he ran the Florida Gators' defense. Quinn was an NFL defensive line coach from 2003-2010. The Seahawks fielded the league's No. 1 defense in 2013, finishing first against the run and seventh versus the pass.

'Square Meter'

NFC Divisional Playoffs: What will be the GAME RESULT?
[TABLE="class: mg-gametableQ, width: 0"]
<tbody style="border: 0px none; margin: 0px; outline: none 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: baseline;">[TR]
[TD="class: mg-column1 start, align: center"]4:35 PM
FOX

[/TD]
[TD="class: mg-column2 sport, align: center"]
icon_football.gif

NFL
[/TD]
[TD="class: mg-column3 opponents"] Saints: Win or Single Digit Loss[/TD]
[TD="class: mg-column4 result, align: center"]--[/TD]
[TD="class: mg-column5 status, align: center"]Not Started
[/TD]
[TD="class: mg-column6 wpw, align: center"]75.6%[/TD]
[TD="class: mg-column7 heat, align: center"]

[/TD]
[TD="class: mg-column8 pick borderRight, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: mg-column3 opponents last"] @ Seahawks: Win By Double Digits[/TD]
[TD="class: mg-column4 result last, align: center"]--[/TD]
[TD="class: mg-column6 wpw, align: center"]24.4%[/TD]
[TD="class: mg-column8 pick borderRight last, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Discus

AFC Divisional Playoffs: What will be the GAME RESULT?
[TABLE="class: mg-gametableQ, width: 0"]
<tbody style="border: 0px none; margin: 0px; outline: none 0px; padding: 0px; vertical-align: baseline;">[TR]
[TD="class: mg-column1 start, align: center"]8:15 PM
CBS

[/TD]
[TD="class: mg-column2 sport, align: center"]
icon_football.gif

NFL
[/TD]
[TD="class: mg-column3 opponents"] Colts: Win or Single Digit Loss[/TD]
[TD="class: mg-column4 result, align: center"]--[/TD]
[TD="class: mg-column5 status, align: center"]Not Started
[/TD]
[TD="class: mg-column6 wpw, align: center"]83.9%[/TD]
[TD="class: mg-column7 heat, align: center"]

[/TD]
[TD="class: mg-column8 pick borderRight, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR]
[TD="class: mg-column3 opponents last"] @ Patriots: Win By Double Digits[/TD]
[TD="class: mg-column4 result last, align: center"]--[/TD]
[TD="class: mg-column6 wpw, align: center"]16.1%[/TD]
[TD="class: mg-column8 pick borderRight last, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

Discuss (0)

Thunder and lighting coming through foxboro .. Funky weather for jJanuary. Heavy rain expected for first half..

I don't see this seattle team having any problem controlling both LOS, only bye week team this weekend that is helped by having a week off imo.

So tired of hearing who the percentages are on and so forth.......square sides hit just as much as the sharp sides. Square ass Bodog kept Florida St at -9 b/c they had so much Auburn action and look what happened.... (Unless Lang is on your side...then it matters)

With Indy coming off that 28 pt comeback last week, I did a little digging into the historical stats to see how other teams off huge comebacks have fared in their next games.

There have been 8 other teams in NFL history during the Super Bowl era to comeback from 24+ points down and subsequently play a road game within the next 7 days. 7 of those 8 teams had season records of at least 4 games over .500 at the time of the subsequent game...

- 6 teams trailed after the 1st qtr, 1 led (7-3)
- 4 of the 6 teams to trail failed to score at all.
- Avg. 1st qtr score for - 2.42 pts
- Avg. 1st qtr score ag - 4.71 pts

- 5 teams trailed at half-time, 2 led (10-7 & 7-3)
- None of the 7 teams managed more than 2 1st half scores (& none managed 2 TDs)
- Avg. 1st half score for - _7.14 pts
- Avg. 1st half score ag - 14.75 pts

History suggests decent teams on the road off a huge comeback have had significant problems scoring in 1st qtrs & halves.

I think the AFC dark horse is SD. Cincy mistakes aside, SD didn't need 4 TOs to win. They only needed 4 TOs to win by 17 pts.

In their first 14 games of the season, Denver went 11-1 to Over vs. 14 teams not from San Diego, and 2-0 to Under vs. SD. (In their final 2 games, the Donks met 2 teams who couldn't give a fuck, and hence those teams scored the 2 lowest totals the Donks D gave up all season, which is what made for 2 Under results. I ignore these as irrelevant.)
Peyton's obv. had problems with the Bolts in the past in the playoffs, and there's something about the way they've played him in '13 thats fucked with his rhythm. The Bolts held Denver to 2 of their 3 lowest offensive outings this season, and last year held them to their lowest total out of 9 home games (admittedly Denver still won).

I can see SD doing 'an NYG' and winning 3 road playoff games to make the SB. Not because they're fantastic (they'll be fodder in the SB, prob. for Sea), but because the AFC is weak and the way they beat Cincy says it may be Rivers time to shine. Add in the spanner they seem to present to Denver's works, and the other side of the AFC draw presenting no outstanding candidate for the championship game, they seem to be as good a pick as anyone.

agree

Good read on Peyton's eight one and done playoff games and how much is he at fault:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/playoffs/2013/story/_/id/10266254/are-peyton-manning-one-dones-fault

Thursday, January 9, 2014
Peyton Manning's playoff blemish

By David Fleming
ESPN.com

Several years ago when I attended the Manning Passing Academy in Thibodaux, La., one of the first people I sought out was Cooper Manning, the eldest of the Manning brothers. You see, as the third of four boys in my family, I understand better than most that if you really want the unvarnished, brutal truth about somebody, just ask their brothers. When I caught up to Cooper, I explained my theory on brothers-as-sources and then I asked him one simple question: After Peyton won Super Bowl XLI, had his notoriously intense, type-A, by-the-book, brother been able to, ya know, loosen up?
Nope, Cooper replied with a knowing chuckle. Not one little bit. Peyton's more Peyton than ever, he said.
This anecdote popped into my head the other day as I sat in front of my computer screen gob-smacked, trying to make sense of what is one of the more startling, and overlooked, stats of this season's NFL playoffs: Peyton Manning, the as-yet-to-be-named league MVP, has gone one-and-done in the postseason a record eight times, four more than anybody else.
For anyone who has enjoyed 2013, The Season of Peyton, something just does not compute. Was this the same guy who, at 37 after four neck surgeries, had just thrown for a record 5,477 yards and 55 TDs while setting a new and virtually unattainable standard of excellence for the art of quarterbacking?
That Peyton Manning? Eight oh-fers?
I mean, in Cincinnati, quarterback Andy Dalton has gone one-and-done three years in a row and they're already talking about running him out of town.
Is it possible that Peyton Manning, the greatest passer of all time, is somehow, secretly, the Buffalo Bills of playoff quarterbacking?
And, if so, with just a few days before the Broncos' first playoff game and Manning's potential ninth one-and-done, why the heck isn't anyone else talking about this? Are we all so mesmerized by his gaudy regular-season stats that we'd just ignore, possibly, one of the most remarkable performance anomalies in all of sports?
Maybe Manning is so good in the regular season he is able to cover up his team's flaws only to watch them get exposed against elite competition in the playoffs? Maybe he played great in these games and his teammates choked? Maybe the Colts and Broncos were underdogs in these games and not expected to win anyway? Maybe, from a historical perspective, losing your first game in the playoffs eight times is no big deal and we should actually applaud him for getting to the playoffs so often (this is his 13th trip)? Maybe they just ran into a team of destiny, you know, like, eight different times?
Or, maybe, like Cooper had confirmed, Peyton's single flaw, his Achilles' heel, is the fact that the extreme parity and high stakes of the playoffs elevates the importance of the one quarterbacking quality he doesn't possess in droves: the risk-taking, go-for-broke, improvisational, gunslinger mentality.
There had to be some explanation. So, using data originally compiled a year ago by Grantland's Patricia Lee, I decided to get to the bottom of this by breaking down each of Manning one-and-dones.
See for yourself.
GAME 1: Jan. 16, 2000, divisional, Titans (14-3) at Colts (13-3)

Spread: Colts by 5½
Score: Titans 19, Colts 16
Manning performance: 19-42, 227 yards, 0 TD, 0 INT, 62.3 passer rating. Indy didn't score its first TD until after the two-minute warning.
Mitigating factor: Colts defense gave up 162 yards rushing to Eddie George.
Manning blame scale (1-10): 8
GAME 2: Dec. 30, 2000, wild card, Colts (10-6) at Dolphins (11-5)

Spread: Colts by 1½
Score: Dolphins 23, Colts 17, OT
Manning performance: 17-32, 194 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 82 passer rating.
Mitigating factor: Colts soft defense gave up 209 yards to Lamar Smith. Sensing a pattern here? Mike Vanderjagt missed a 49-yard field goal in OT.
GAME 3: Jan. 4, 2003, wild card, Colts (10-6) at Jets (9-7)

Spread: Jets by 6
Score: Jets 41, Colts 0
Manning performance: 14-31, 137 yards, 0 TD, 2 INT, 31.2 passer rating.
Mitigating factor: Colts had the ball for just 7:44 in the second half of one of the worst shutouts in NFL postseason history.
Manning blame scale: 9
GAME 4: Jan. 15, 2006, divisional, Steelers (12-5) at Colts (14-2)

Spread: Colts by 8½
Score: Steelers 21, Colts 18
Manning performance: 22-38, 290 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 90.9 passer rating. Sacked on fourth down with 1:20 to play.
Mitigating factors: Returning a fumble late in the game, the Colts' Nick Harper had a clear path to the end zone and the winning TD, but he was tackled by Ben Roethlisberger. The Colts missed a 46-yard field goal that would have tied the score. The Steelers went on to win the Super Bowl.
GAME 5: Jan. 13, 2008, divisional, Chargers (12-5) at Colts (13-3)

Spread: Colts by 11
Score: Chargers 28, Colts 24
Manning performance: 33-48, 402 yards, 3 TD, 2 INT, 97.7 passer rating. Manning threw for more than 400 yards, but his picks ended two excellent scoring opportunities.
Mitigating factors: The Chargers were without their starting QB and running back and were a double-digit underdog, but they still scored 28 points against the Colts' No. 1 ranked scoring defense.
GAME 6: Jan. 3, 2009, wild card, Colts (12-4) at Chargers (8-8)

Spread: Colts by 2½
Score: Chargers 23, Colts 17, OT
Manning performance: 25-42, 310 yards, 1 TD, 0 INT, 90.4 passer rating.
Mitigating factors: Manning never got to touch the ball in OT after a 22-yard rushing TD by the Chargers ended the game.
GAME 7: Jan. 8, 2011, wild card, Jets (11-5) at Colts (10-6)

Spread: Colts by 2
Score: Jets 17, Colts 16
Manning performance: 18-26, 225 yards, 1 TD, O INT, 108.7 passer rating. Manning led a drive with under a minute to play to put the Colts up 16-14.
Mitigating factors: The Jets returned the final kickoff 47 yards and moved into game-winning field-goal range in only five plays.
GAME 8: Jan. 12, 2013, divisional, Ravens (11-6) at Broncos (13-3)

Spread: Broncos by 8½
Score: Ravens 38, Broncos 35
Manning performance: 28-43, 290 yards, 3 TD, 2 INT, 88.3 passer rating. Interception in OT led to Ravens' winning field goal.
Mitigating factors: Broncos gave up a 70-yard TD pass with 1:09 to play.
Conclusion? I hate to be a killjoy, and I tried until I was dizzy to spin these stats, I really did, but there's no way around it. As great as he is, in the opening games of the playoffs, as my colleague Bomani Jones likes to say, Manning suffers from "First-degree lemonbooty."
Yes, poor play by the defense was a factor in a lot of these games and several times Manning put his team in a position to win only to lose because of a missed field goal or a fluke play. But, for the most part, the more you dig the worse it gets. A perfect example of how we tend to re-write history in Manning's favor is the Ravens game from a year ago. Most of us tend to blame the Broncos' sleepwalking defense for giving up a 70-yard pass to send the game to overtime. Now maybe it's all the fantasy wins he has given us, or all those adorable against-type commercials, but it was Manning's interception in the second OT that set up the winning field goal. Or had you forgotten?
<center>NFL PLAYOFFS 2013-14</center>

<center></center> ESPN.com is your online source for the most comprehensive playoff coverage.
2013-14 NFL playoff schedule
Chadiha: 10 questions, AFC edition
Clayton: 10 questions, NFC edition
Colts-Patriots matchup page
Chargers-Broncos matchup page
Saints-Seahawks matchup page
49ers-Panthers matchup page
Matchups: Quick Takes | Injury Wire

In the Ravens game, for the sixth time in his eight one-and-dones, Manning's passer rating (88.3) was below his career average of 97.2. What's more, the Broncos were playing at home after a week off and were favored by 8½ points. In fact, Manning's team was favored in seven of his eight one-and-dones. Twice they lost to the eventual Super Bowl champs, sure, but the Hall of Famer Manning has been outgunned and one-and-doned by, among others, Mark Sanchez, Jay Fiedler and Chad Pennington.
Adding historical perspective doesn't help Manning's case, either.
Manning has twice as many one-and-dones as any other quarterback in the Super Bowl era. Joe Montana has four in 11 trips. Manning's closest contemporary, Tom Brady, has played in four more playoff games than Manning and has gone one-and-done only two times in 10 trips.
The plain truth is Manning has not played well in the playoffs, overall, but especially so in close games. According to ESPN Stats & Info, Manning has 50 game-winning drives in the regular season and only one in the playoffs. In fact, in one-possession games, Manning is 2-7 overall in the playoffs. (His take on this is classic Peyton: Game-winning drives only mean you did something wrong earlier in the game to fall behind. Not exactly Brett Favre, is he?)
In the regular season, Manning's career completion percentage is 65.5 and his touchdown-to-interception ratio is more than 2-to-1. But in the fourth quarter during the playoffs, his completion percentage falls to 58.3 and he has seven touchdowns against seven interceptions. By comparison, Eli Manning's numbers go in the opposite direction. From the regular season to the playoffs, Eli's completion percentage jumps from 58.5 to 61.5 and his TD-INT ratio goes from 1.3 to 2.1 in the playoffs, where improv and gunslinging often trumps preparation and perfect execution. Eli just had one of the worst regular seasons, ever. Peyton had the best. But in the playoffs, you need a gamer, you need a guy who can scramble out of a sack on third down and complete a pass to someone's helmet, if need be.

<center>FLEM'S LONGREADS</center>

More from Flem File columnist and ESPN The Magazine writer David Fleming:
Flem File
Measuring coach-QB relationships
Cup check: Protection lacking
2013 Turkey of the Year Awards
Beginning of end for NFL
In appreciation of batted passes
Who did it: Lions or Will Ferrell?
Luck-Manning link goes way back
From The Mag
Brees, Payton belong together
Packers' blaze of glory
OTL: Marathon of their lives

Yes, Peyton has the best brain in the game, the best work ethic, best study skills, best field vision, best preparation and best execution but, according to one expert who has studied Manning since his college days, the one thing he lacks is the ability to throw caution to the wind, let the ball fly and make something out of nothing. Normally, when you call Manning a robot it's a high compliment. But not in the playoffs. There, it can be a liability.
Knowing this, defenses tend to play a lot of nickel and dime, clog the field, muddy his reads and get him to overthink and suffer from paralysis by analysis. And, because of his age, his neck and his kudzu-like speed, well, improvising with his feet, the way Cam Newton, Colin Kaepernick or Russell Wilson can, is totally out of the question.
So what does this all mean?
Well, I think the data is pretty clear cut.
If Manning falters yet again Sunday against the Chargers and suffers his ninth one-and-done in the playoffs, he'll still go down as one of the greatest quarterbacks to ever play the game.
Fifty-one weeks of the year.

imo he doesn't have the best brain,best work ethic,best study skills,best field vision,best prep or best execution....he has excellent skills only and the ability to continually lose big games....give me montana,bradshaw,brady,big ben,aikmen and tbh i would even take plunkett over manning

Back