NCAAF Week One

TopDaddy

Pretty much a regular
Mississippi State -10 is no longer a play for me, as the starting lineup is still in question due to injuries and suspensions. Please disregard the writeup, although I still think it holds some weight, and I still think they will cover, but I'm not NEARLY as confident as I was.

Plays (all plays 1 unit):
Troy -6
Kansas State -25
TCU -6.5

One of the games that caught my attention right off the bat (but now is just a lean due to injuries and suspensions) is that of:

Mississippi State -10 @ La Tech

The primary thing that I like to look at for Week One games is returning starters and momentum coming off of last season.

La Tech has a pretty good situation on offense as it relates to it returning starters. The top three rushers last year return including Zac Champion, who was just shy of 1000 yards last year and has recieved 2nd Team All WAC each of the last 2 years. They also return last year's leading receiver, Philip Livas, as well as both tight ends that were used out of their two tight end set. The only question mark of the skill positions is at QB, and the solution might come in the form of a transfer from Georgia Tech, Taylor Bennett, who through some loophole and witchcraft was able to transfer and begin playing immediatly. (GT's starting TE also transfered for the same reason as Bennett, but for some reason the NCAA didn't allow him to play for the Tide this year, makes sense, right?) As you may or may not know, Bennett didn't exactly tear the ACC up last year, but he didn't absolutely suck. At any rate, if he can adapt to La Tech's style of offense, it will be a great addition to have a QB with experience, especially considering the alternatives. The O-Line may be a concern, but they only lost 2 starters from LY, and they've got a little depth, so no red flags to speak of here. Offense is a check...

Defense is far from a check. One returning DL, one returning LB, and 3 returners in the secondary. This could be a problem. However, 2 JUCO transfers have been brought in to fill some gaps on DL, but everywhere else fends for itself, and there's no guarantee these JUCO guys are the answer. One area of concern is pass rush: if you can't get it going, it doesn't matter if you've got 5 fourth year defensive backs in the dime, someone is going to get open, and it'll get ugly quick. The other area is stopping the run. If you can't do it, you can't beat an SEC team. We've got a recipe for disaster on D.

Now to Miss St:
It took these guys a while to get some confidence last year, but once they did, they were scary. Henig finally got seriously hurt for the 18th time in his career, and in steps Wesley Carroll. He was nothing to write home about, but his inexperience caused the coaching staff to reevaluate the offensive scheme. Carrol threw dump passes and quick slants like a champ, and didn't throw his first INT until his 140th, or so, pass attempt. He got comfortable and became dangerous. Add this in with the fact that you have an Anthony Dixon in the backfield, and you're in business. Dixon is an animal, just ask by beloved Tide, who stacked seven and eight in the box and still couldn't get the guy to quit. The offensive line is only returning 2 starters, but they do have depth and experience on their side.

The defense, who was also pretty good after the offense decided they could score some points, is only missing 3 starters from last year (1 LB and 2 DL), but the fill ins have experience as well.

They way I figure it, Mississippi St can get a pass rush on. Couple this with an experienced secondary, and you've got the passing game sputtering at best, with predictable screens and TE waggles being all the offense can do to muster yardage out of the passing game. State also has an experience front 7, which can fill some holes and stop the running game (see Kevin Smith's non-existant run game in State's victory over UCF). On the flip side, you've got a bruiser of a running back going up against a very inexperienced front 7 for La Tech. That same front 7 will probably not get a good push for a pass rush either.

The Momentum: State comes off a season in which the beat Bama, Auburn, UK, Ole Miss, and did better than most in shutting down Kevin Smith in the bowl game. They have something to build on. La Tech however, closed their season out with a horrible loss to the hands of Nevada, and lost too many starters IMO to have anything to really build off of last season.

The Intangibles: Think quickly, how many points has Mississippi State scored in its last two season openers?... ZERO, two shut outs! You think Sly doesn't know that? He is going to score as many points as his team will allow him to. You also have to look at State's schedule, brutal. They only have 4 games IMO that should be wins. Well, four wins doesn't get you to a bowl, so you've got to win the games you should, play well in those games and make some improvements, and surprise a few people to get where you want to go. So you HAVE to win those gimmes, and this in one of them. And you don't want to leave any doubt in those victories, either. Give your team something to build on when they leave Ruston. All that to say:

Mississippi State -10

Final Score: 28-3

Good Luck to all this season, and please feel free to comment.:15_10_5:

Last edited:
This is a game not many have talked about. Interesting points.

I believe Peguise (sp?) is suspended for this game but their defense should be strong enough to limit LaTech. That offense on the other hand, besides Dixon, is like watching a nightmare.

Yes , Pegues is definitely out. Think he was the only first team SEC guy on miss st last year ... but i could be wrong on that.

Anyway , love the detail in your thought process and best of luck with a blowout in Ruston !

Beware though , Ruston is a sneaky homefield and LATECH out first downed and outgained the SEC OLE MISS team that they played last year , despite losing 24-0.

On Louisiana Tech in this one +8.5 Look at how La Tech played at home last year, and they should be improved this year. Miss. St. struggles to score points, so I will take the points here with a team that plays well at home, should be fired up to play an SEC team. This is coming from a guy that bet Mississippi State several times last year, I don't like laying points with Mississippi State, their role is as a dog.

the loss of Pegues is definitely significant...also Patrick Jackson for La. Tech is a good running back...I like what Dooley did with the La. Tech program last year, they were truly competitive for the first time since Moats left the program...they have scored 0 points in two season openers, scored like 9 in the bowl game, and now they are going to score 28 in the season opener with no playmakers at the WR position and shotty QB play?...I'm not buying it...La. Tech +8.5 for me as well...

ETG, kyle, sir, pags, thanks for the input, that's why I put this stuff up here, to hear others' opinions.

I just figure with La Tech's obismal D, State should be able to run to set up the occasional pass, and should score some points in the process. And with State's solid D (didn't realize Pegues was suspended) they should be able to hold whomever the new La Tech QB was in check. Tech has a good ground game, and maybe I'm overlooking that, but I just can't get over how few returning starters that have from an already bad defense.

Troy -6 v. Middle Tennessee State

Without getting too long-winded, here's what we've got:

Troy:
Solid OL as all 5 starters from last year return. This eases the worries for the incoming starter at QB as Hougabrook is gone. They don't have a lack of options at QB as there is a Junior transfer from Richmond who saw a sufficient amount of playing time, and the two backups from last year seem to be duking it out as well, so QB is a "?", but there may be a sufficient replacement yet. RB is also a "?" as Cattouse is gone, but running the ball didn't seem to be a huge concern last year, but whatever the load, it will all be dumped on Soph. DuJuan Harris, who tallied a decent amount of yards LY in his own right. Nothing to be incredibly excited about at WR either, but they have sufficient depth here, so someone will catch the ball alot.
On D, Troy boast arguably the best DL in the conference, an all conference and Lomardi candidate at LB in Boris Lee, and all the depth and speed you want in the secondary (despite the loss of McKelvin, who is virtually irreplaceable)

Middle Tennessee State:
On offense, you've got a couple of good QBs in Craddock and Dasher, but like they say, "2 quarterbacks equals no quarterbacks". Seriously though, word is that these two compliment each other very well, but the starting job is up in the air. Gee will be the go to RB this year, but at 5'6", 160lbs, I hope the wind isn't blowing to hard... He seems to be a poor mans Trindan Holliday, but I wouldn't want Trindan Holliday as my feature back either. Other "?" include WR (where they are probably in the same boat as Troy), OL, DE, and the whole secondary. By the numbers, the Raiders lose their best two OL, two of the top four rushers from LY, their two DE, two LB, two safeties and a corner. Defense could be a huge concern this year.

Not many intangibles to speak of, other than the fact that Troy plays LSU and tOSU in the first half of the season. Not only is that two losses, but that's two tough weeks of recovery afterward. Couple that with the fact that 7 wins last season wasn't enought to get the Trojans bowling, so the race to 8 convincing wins starts with the Raiders. Win the games you're supposed to win, surprise a couple of teams (i.e. Okie St) and you get your two main goals as a mid-major: win the conference and go bowling.

Conclusion:
It's going to come down to the positional matchups:
Troy OL v. MTSU DL: Huge advantage Troy
Troy DL v. MTSU OL: Huge advantage Troy

MTSU has a much better QB situation at the moment, but Troy is going to get a pass rush on like crazy against a weaker OL, and something's going to have to give. MTSU will have a weak pass rush against a good OL, giving a new QB and WRs time, and that will lead to points IMO.

Troy -6

GL :shake:

like this play, was concerned about opening up on the road with new qb-rb-wr but troy is so athletic and so good in the trenches that they should be able to make do with what they have here. little mad this spread rose in the last few days it was a game I was still checking out.

Another tidbit on La Tech. I remember reading it but don't know the ex-NFL player that has something to do with the program. But he's hootin and hollerin and guraranteeing that La Tech will WIN their first game against Miss St.

Another tidbit on La Tech. I remember reading it but don't know the ex-NFL player that has something to do with the program. But he's hootin and hollerin and guraranteeing that La Tech will WIN their first game against Miss St.
Thanks for the info, but I've never paid much attention to pre-season hype, especially from someone INSIDE the program. He may have a reason to be excited about La Tech's improvements, which I feel certain they've made, and will be a better team this year. But just remember, better than bad still isn't good.

North Texas v. Kansas St. -25

Not much to say about this one as I feel the intangibles rule this game. Here goes:

Kansas State:
Returns an awesome signal caller in Freeman, who set a ton of records with his performance in last year's grossly underachieving season for K State. The also return the Big 12 offensive player of the year in reciever Deon Murphy, so this could be a good combination for the year. K State also returns its three top O-linemen which will obviously provide ample protection for and obviously dangerous QB. One of the best LB in the country (IMHO), Ian Campbell, returns to lead the front 7. The secondary has a lot of ground to make up with key losses there, but JUCO transfers abound on this team, so experience will not be a problem for the new starters.

North Texas:
Returns entire OL from last year, but may have a QB contreversy as Riley Dodge (coaches son) is now in the mix. Giovanni Viazza threw 20 INTs last year in the pass happy O, so Dodge might not be a bad option. The entire LB corps has to be replaced from what was the worst scoring D in the country. They also lose their leading tackler from last year at DT. This should prove to be a bad defense again this year.

The Intangibles:
Ron Prince for K State is probably on one of the hottest seats in the country. Evidently it's not all from the Wildcats' performance on the field so much as it is that he made his coaches run stairs on numerous occasions last year after unsatisfactory practices. This led to what is being dubbing is some circles as the "biggest mass exodus of coaches" in the history of college football. He lost about 8 coaches, all of which left voluntarily, some of which had been there a while. He is not a popular man in Manhattan, and therefore needs to get in gear if he hopes to have a job after this season, or even toward the end of this season.

All this to say that K State has a gauntlet to run through in their Big 12 schedule, so they might want to start off strong, real strong, to make some brownie points with the powers that be for when times get tough. What better way to do this that to put up 50+ in the opener. Prince will have no mercy, given the chance.

Trends:
Not big on trends, but these you may not be able to ignore...

*Since '03, North Texas is 0-11 ATS when they are a 20+ point dog.

*Since '00, North Texas has opened the season up with the Big 12 six times. They are 1-5 ATS, and that ATS win was a 27-0 loss to Texas (line was -35) in '02, in which Texas didn't score a point in the second half. I guess Mack Brown had a heart...

*Since '04, North Texas is 0-6 ATS against the Big 12.

That's it...

Kansas St -25

Last edited:
Didn't realize that Anthony Johnson was also out for Mississippi State. With Pegues out as well, that's a huge hit to the secondary. Losing Pegues was bad enough, but didn't hear about this one till recently. This play is on hold for now...

Pags :shake:

Halfpoint - I can't find anywhere to say what the status of those guys is...

Also another tidbit, Croom has decided that the team is flying into Ruston THE MORNING OF the game. Granted it's only an hour or so flight (I would assume anyway) and the game is at 5:45 EST, but something just doesn't seem right/smart about this. I'm really close to erasing this one from my list of plays. Although I think they still have a better than average chance of covering, I was really onto this one when I thought that they had everyone but Pegues, but the O-line is in question now, and the secondary is hurting. We'll see...

http://www.cappingthegame.com/forum/showthread.php?t=38426

Houston won 49-10.

I still think traveling same day as playing is a negative but be careful about giving it too much weight. It should be considered but these are young men and often capable of mroe than we think.

I sort of lean LATech here myself but wish you luck as i wont be involved.
It really didn't hold as much weight as I may have made out, but this play is on hold for me simply because State's starting lineup seems to be falling apart.

TCU -6.5 v. New Mexico

Same reason everyone else is taking them. Probably the best play on the board IMO.

good luck this week top daddy !!

Love TCU as well. Most here do but perhaps the best capper that i know of on the internet has already taken lobos plus the 7..... so not unanimous by any stretch.

good luck this year and really enjoyed your thoughts on kansas state!

Back