Ncaa Cfb Saturday Week One

SHSUHorn

Thief
NCAA CFB 2002-2003
Sides 118-88 +$7,028

NCAA CFB 2003-2004
Sides 124-103 +$7,542
Teasers/Pleasers/Parlays 1-6 +$1,000 (Hit a great 3 team pleaser!)
Total 125-109 +$8,542

NCAA CFB 2004-2005
Sides 111-109 –$1,818
Player Props - 62-44 +$9,010
Teasers/Pleasers/Parlays - 7-9 +$460
Total 173-153 +$7,652

NCAA CFB 2005-2006
Sides 60-50 +$3,526
Player Props 40-17 +$7,937
Total 100-67 +$11,463

4 Year CFB TOTAL +$34,685

CAL AT TENNESSEE
Saturday, 5:30 ET on ESPN HD

Tidbits on Cal:

Cal has covered 7 of their last 9 road openers. Cal only covered 3 of 11 lined games last year. Last year was the first time in Tedford’s tenure that Cal had a negative turnover margin. Cal’s 26 wins in 3 seasons is their most since 49-5 1. Tedford has coached 6 QBs who have gone on to be first round draft picks.

Tidbits on Tennessee:

UT has won 11 straight season openers. UT is 6-12 all time ATS vs the PAC 10. UT is 8-23 as the home fave last year ATS. Fulmer is 19-6 SU in games decided by 3 points or less. UT did not go to a bowl game last season for the first time in 16 years. UT faced 5 teams in the top 10 last year and only won 1. UT’s avg attendance at home games last year was 107,000. YIKES!

Cal Offense vs Tennessee Defense:

Cal avg 32.9 ppg last year finishing 26th in the country. Cal returns 7 starters from last year’s offense. Teford is bringing in a new OC in Dunbar who was at Northwestern and will implement some elements of the spread to an already explosive offense. While the offense will always be explosive this will be a difficult match-up for Cal. Longshore will more then likely be the QB since he’s been taking all of the first string snaps. He was the starter last year to begin the season as an RS frosh but broke his ankle in the opener and was lost for the year. While he looked good in the opener it was against Sac. St. This will be his first true road game and boy oh boy you couldn’t find a more difficult place to have your first road game. He does return all of the skill guys around him including what I feel is the best backfield in the country in Lynch and Forrest. My other concern about Cal in this game outside of the raw QB will be the OL. They lose three players on the line that have been starting for three years and all were NFL draft picks. They will be replaced with a lot of youth in three sophomores. While all these guys are talented it will take some time together to gel and I’m just not sure a couple of fall practices will be enough to get these guys ready for Tennessee.

UT gave up only 18.6 ppg finishing 18th in the country despite a poor offense that had to many stalled drives and giving up poor field position. They return 5 starters on defense. The entire secondary returns but they lose everyone on the front 7 that was the 2nd best team in the country in stopping the run. Fulmer has recruited well though having a top 10 class in both 04 and 05 and two of the new LBs were 5 star talents. How will the youngsters fare in this match-up will determine the outcome but hopefully an improved offense run by Cutcliffe will give the defense more rest and better field position.

Cal Defense vs Tennessee Offense:

Cal gave up 21.2 ppg finishing 26th in the country. They return 8 starters from last year’s defense. The front seven is just nasty led by the rock in the middle DT Brandon Mebane who is one of the best in the country. The key match-up in this game will be how the Cal secondary defends the pass especially the deep ball which Cucliffe has already said was a missing ingredient in the UT offense last year. They finished 80th against the pass last year and if there is a weakness in this defense it’s the safeties (one of which is a former walk on RB) as both are first time starters. UT has to exploit the safeties by stretching the field early and often.

UT offense avg 18.6 ppg and finished a dreadful 101st in the country. 7 starters return on offense. Too much indecision on offense and it started at the QB position where the rotating and team split of who should be the starting QB just killed the offense. With Clausen gone and the job now to Ainge things should be more stable. The key to this offense and the key to what many feel will be a big turnaround is the return of David Cutcliffe. The former Vol Oc returns after leaving in 98 (there from 93-98) to go to Ole Miss where he led the Rebels to 5 winning seasons and surprisingly fired because he wouldn’t make changes to his staff. During his tenure running the explosive offenses of UT the team was 63-11, won the SEC twice, and a national title. Yes I haven’t many of the players I just really think Cutcliffe will have this much of an impact on the offense. Cutciliffe has mentored Eli & Peyton Manning, Tee Martin, and Heath Shuler to great college careers. He's promised to use more play-action, different formations and more of a down-the-field passing attack and that will basically be going right after the biggest weakness on the Cal side.

My Play:

TENNESSEE PK ($300) (BETCRIS)

Had this at +3 for UT at betmill but the plays were cancelled due to the recent events of the CEO. Still like UT to win this game as the homefield advantage will be huge here. UT’s season was a disappointment last year but a couple of close losses with a bounce here or there and it would have been a different year. Cal playing in a loud 100,000 seat stadium with a new QB and revamped OL will struggle early on but is still my team of choice in the PAC 10. Cutcliffe should improve the offense and I like UT in the best game to watch of the day.

money;

Last edited:
VIRGINIA AT PITT
Saturday, 7 PM ET on ESPN U

Tidbits on Pitt:

Pitt has won 10 of its last 12 home games. Pitt has covered 6 of its last 7 games as a home fave. The avg attendance at Pitt games is 40,272.

Tidbits on Virginia:

UVA only won 1 of 5 road games last year a 3 pt victory over woeful Syracuse. UVA has only covered 1 game in three years as an away dog. UVA lost both their OC and DC to head coaching positions.

Pitt Offense vs UVA Defense:

Pitt avg 24.3 ppg finishing 73rd in the country. They return 6 players on offense. Pitt is going to run, run, run this year according to Wahnstadt but when you have 4 returning starters on the OL and Tyler Palko at QB I’m not sure why you don’t attack more with the pass. I will be probably playing against Pitt a couple of times on the road this season but do like the match-up vs UVA and think they will be able to move the ball on the ground vs their front 7.

UVA on defense gave up 23.2 ppg finishing 40th in the nation. They return 6 starters on defense but lost some big time names to the NFL and off-season troubles. You take out DE Chuck Long’s 12 starts and the rest of the defense line has 1 career start. The team has a lot of youth as only 1 SR on the entire two deep. Losing Brooks wasn’t as big as many would expect but Parham was a great run stuffer in the middle. Wit the middle of the defensive front 7 looking like the weakness I expect Pitt will be able to get some yards on the ground here.

UVA Offense vs Pit Defense:

UVA avg 26.7 ppg finishing 59th in the country last year. They return 5 starters but lost some big time names on offense. The offense is gonna struggle early on with the losses of Hagans, Lundy, and everyone on the line but 2 players (who both missed spring practice) including OT Ferguson who was the top OL in this past years NFL draft. The strength of the offense is the WR corp but if the OL can’t protect the new QB Olsen (who doesn’t have Faggins wheels if things break down) early on it won’t matter.

Pitt gave up 22.1 ppg finishing 30th in the country which is what you’d expect form a Dave Wanstadt coached team. 6 players return on defense. Wanstadt will always be one of the best defensive coaches around and this year won’t be any different. While they got pasted by some potent offenses in ND, Louisville, West Virginia, and Rutgers (yes Rutgers had a pretty good offense last year) everyone else on the schedule was held less then 20 points. Majority of the key players return and if the the young DT’s can hold up in the middle look for LB Blades to have an All-American type year. He’s that good.

My Pick:

PITT –3 ($500) (BETCRIS)

Pitt has been very good at home. Groh has already stated this will be a rebuilding year and the first game of the season on the road won’t help a brand new OL, QB, and RB for UVA. Expect an ugly game with Pitt winning out.

:money2:

Last edited:
Hey Horn. I like the Tennessee play, but I can't bet on PITT. It actually has nothing to do with the Panthers...it's Wanny.

I just have no faith in him. Have you ever noticed that he looks lost on the sidelines?... :confused:

Bears' D-line is beat up
Top-ranked group is considerably thinner after a string of injuries
Cal notebook

BERKELEY -- The nation has noticed the job Cal defensive line coach Ken Delgado has done building a quality unit.

Athlon magazine picked Cal's defensive line as No. 1 going into the 2006 season. But as summer camp progresses, Delgado isn't worried about ratings. He just wants healthy bodies.

Sophomore defensive tackle Mika Kane, who was listed as a starter following spring camp, had surgery on Saturday to repair a broken finger on his right hand. He should be out about three weeks, which leaves him questionable for the Sept. 2 opener at Tennessee.

He joins freshman tackle Michael Costanzo, who sprained a knee and is out 4-6 weeks, on the sideline. Also limited is acclaimed freshman recruit Derrick Hill, a tackle who hasn't been taking contact due to a slight injury.

Junior tackle Matt Malele was the starter last year until tearing the ACL in his knee against USC on Nov. 12 and undergoing surgery. He appears ready to reclaim his spot.

Malele has recovered better than junior defensive end Phillip Mbakogu, who had surgery on his left knee after last season to clear up some cartilage problems. "I really can't say where I'm at right now," Mbakogu said after Saturday's practice. "I'll have to see what I can do, take it in stride."

Missing spring ball, Mbakogu is now listed as the second team defensive end behind Abu Ma'afala, who was switched to defensive end from his inside tackle position. Mbakogu had 10 tackles for loss and 51/2 sacks in 2005.

"His injury was a lot more serious than we expected," Delgado said of Mbakogu. "You can tell right now that he's not ready. He is unstable a little, and sore."

Senior defensive end Steve Kelly missed all of last season due to knee surgery, and he faces a long battle up the depth chart to regain the spot he held in 2004.

Fortunately for Delgado, help appears to be on the way. Freshman defensive tackle Tyson Alualu, a blue-chip recruit out of Hawaii in 2005 who stayed out of school to tend to personal business at home, is now on board and looking impressive. Junior college transfer Rulon Davis is a raw talent who will make an immediate impact, according to Delgado.

Getting noticed

Redshirt freshman tight end Cameron Morrah, a 6-foot-5, 250-pounder, has increased his strength considerably during the offseason and figures to see significant snaps, according to head coach Jeff Tedford.

Morrah rates behind junior Craig Stevens and senior Eric Beegun on the depth chart, but he might be the most dynamic downfield threat of the three. However, he wasn't able to handle the blocking duties last season. Now Tedford said he has "changed his game."

Extra points

Tedford identified his top-four rotation at wide receiver as sophomore DeSean Jackson, junior Robert Jordan, junior Lavelle Hawkins and senior David Gray. He said junior Noah Smith, who has been impressive in practice, is working to break into the top-seven rotation. Others trying to crack the top seven are juniors Sam DeSa and Sean Young and sophomore LaReylle Cunningham. ... Redshirt freshman offensive lineman Matt Laird jammed his shoulder on Saturday, and Tedford said the injury needed to be checked out.

Very nice as always Horn.

Many differing views on that Cal-Tenny game but I am siding more and more with the Tennessee side the last week or so. Very good article about Cal D-Line woes(injuries)

Love Pitt. Bottom line there...they should roll.

Look forward to the rest of the Saturday Cardmoney;

UT isn't as bad as people think. If you go look at their losses last year it really came down to a bad break at the end. They could've easily only lost 2 games last year.

Yeah Tenny wasn't as bad as they seemed... although their season was wretched as a whole. However, that equals a PK line for them at home in the next season opener? I'll take Tenny at home playing with a huge chip on their shoulder against a team comming across the county that is thin on the depth charts right now.

I Agree That Alot Of Tenn's Games Were Close Last Year, But Coach Fat Phil Is Done.he Is Losing Control.
This Year They Have No O-line And No D-line.running Game Will Hurt And They Do Not Have Good Wide-outs Either.low Scoring Games Again For Tenn This Year.

CAL NOTEBOOK
Offensive line isn't missing a beat

[FONT=geneva,arial]- Rusty Simmons, Chronicle Staff Writer
[/FONT][FONT=geneva,arial][SIZE=-2]Monday, August 14, 2006
[/SIZE][/FONT]

Cal's offensive line was supposed to be a question, having lost three to the NFL Draft. If Sunday's practice, in which the unit opened huge running lanes, is any indication, the group is already offering an answer.
"I'm not surprised. There are some good athletes (on the offensive line) who had been waiting their turn, and we had some veterans, too," coach Jeff Tedford said. "We still have a lot of work to do, but when you get to practice every day against Nu'u Tafisi and Brandon Mebane, that always helps."
The unit's work ethic doesn't hurt, either. The group is regularly the first on the field before practice, and on Saturday, 15 linemen were on the field 30 minutes before the morning practice started.
The line is coming together quickly with the return of injured tackles Andrew Cameron and Mike Tepper and transfers Mike Gibson and Tyler Krieg, adding to the group the Bears had returning.
Quarterback update: Tedford said it was fair to start calling the competition for the starting quarterback job a three-man challenge. Redshirt freshman Kyle Reed steadily has been losing repetitions, leaving sophomore Nate Longshore and seniors Joe Ayoob and Steve Levy in the hunt.
"We can't continue to rep all of them," Tedford said. "Kyle is going to be a great quarterback one day, but right now, he is still learning."
While the other quarterbacks take their reps, Reed often goes through the motions behind the drill. Briefly: Crowd noise was pumped into the stadium when the offense approached the line of scrimmage Sunday. Tedford said the volume will increase as the team approaches its Sept. 2 opener against Tennessee, which has a stadium that seats more than 106,000. ... Defensive tackle Mika Kane had surgery to repair a broken right hand, and Tedford said he will miss about three weeks. Kane, who was listed as a starter, could be replaced by Matthew Malele or Tyson Alualu. Defensive ends Abu Ma'afala and Steve Kelly also might rotate to the middle. ... Redshirt freshman offensive lineman Matt Laird was at Sunday's practice in a sling after dislocating his left shoulder Saturday morning. Tedford said he could miss a couple of weeks. ... Salesian running back Jahvid Best, who was on The Chronicle's All-Metro team and finished third in the 200-meter dash at the state meet, was at Sunday's practice. ... Thomas DeCoud, the favorite to start at free safety, sported a Mohawk to Sunday's practice.

***adding***

Adding two totals from Pinnacle that just were released. I'm not that big of a totals player but these seemed like no-brainers.

OU/UAB UNDER 46 ($500)

PITT/UVA UNDER 49 ($400)

You just got fucking insane lines. I blinked and now those are 43.5 and 45... essentially no value left.

Dammit! Dammitt! Dammitt!!!

Reloading day for me at Pinny is next Monday! I just missed out on some great TOTAL lines!
crying.gif

Uh At Rice

HOUSTON AT RICE
Saturday, 8 PM ET on CSTV

Tidbits on Rice:

Rice is 9-23 SU vs UH. Rice is 21-7 ATS as a home dog the last 28 games. Rice was 1-10 last year their worst season in 18 years. Average attendance last year was 11,000. These schools are only 5 miles apart. Todd Graham is the new head coach and he’s only 41. Major Applewhite is his OC and he’s 27. Rice has had only 5 winning seasons in 40 years.

Tidbits on Houston:

UH has only won 1 road opener in 15 years. UH is 18-36 ATS (33%) in the last 54 conference games. UH finished 116th in the country in net punting last year. The new DC is Allen Wendell. Art Briles is only the second UH coach in history to guide them to consecutive bowl games. When Briles was a HS coach for Stephenville he went on a 6 year run going 90-2. UH led the conference in penalty yards with 70 ypg.

Houston Defense vs Rice Offense:

UH gave up 27 ppg last year finishing 69th in the country. 9 starters return from last year’s defense but really 10 since all conference candidate Will Gulley missed 2005 with a knee injury. UH was in its first season of the 3-4 last year. 3 players from last years defense were HM Freshman All American as now Briles in his fourth season is seeing some of the Houston HS talent he has recruited come to fruition. Now that the players are more comfortable in the system and Guilley is back at FS where he has 8 INTs in 33 games it allows them to take more chances and be more aggressive. The secondary is probably the best in the league and with Rice moving to a now more pass happy offense from its usual ground attack well there will be a decided advantage come Sept. 2nd.

Rice avg 21.9 ppg finishing 86th in the country. They return 9 players on offense. The big story for Rice on offense is the switch from the wishbone offense to a Texas Tech-type passing offense. A team that was recruited to play in the wishbone must now do a 360 and turn into a heavy passing offense. Ask Nebraska, Syracuse, and New Mexico St. how that worked out for them in year one…let alone the first game of the season.

Houston Offense vs Rice Defense:

UH avg 28.1 ppg and finished 51st in the country. That total should’ve definitely been hire but penalties and turnovers (13 fumbles lost, 15 INTs) negated a lot of points since they did finish 19th in total yards. They return 7 starters from last year’s unit. Many people are high on UH this year because of the return of QB Kevin Kolb who has more consecutive starts then any QB in the nation with 34. He’s in the top 5 in every passing category for active QBs in the entire country. His main weapon to throw to Vincent Marshall has 24 starts and he’s also the leading active WR in both receptions and yards for the entire country. This offense but up 500 yards on Rice in the season finale last year and I can’t see much changing in a year.

Rice gave up 40.6 ppg last year finishing 116th in the country. They return 6 starters from last year’s defense. Like on offense the defense is going to experience some early growing pains as they radically change their formation as well. Graham is going with the 3-3-5 scheme that he helped devise that is being used by WVU, Alabama, and Tulsa currently. Once again I don’t see a drastic improvement from last year and UH can move the ball pretty much on anybody in the conference.

My Play:

HOUSTON –11 ($500) (BETCRIS)

A new coaching staff and philosophy, new offense, new defense…with former players that are used to losing? I like Graham for Rice but still think he’s a couple of years away from making Rice legit in CUSA. Briles is in year 4 of his tenure and starting to come together with his recruiting classes. UH is my favorite to win the conference and they easily dominate Rice in this game. This won’t be home field advantage because the two schools are only 5 miles apart.

:18_1_38:

Thought you would play this one.

I've had this one circled and I've been waiting to make my plays to account for any injuries during fall practice and other last minute fuckups.

Line is now UH -12 and -13.

I'm going to play it at -12 but was wondering, for me and others, how high you would play it. 2 TDs?

rjurewitz said:
Thought you would play this one.

I've had this one circled and I've been waiting to make my plays to account for any injuries during fall practice and other last minute fuckups.

Line is now UH -12 and -13.

I'm going to play it at -12 but was wondering, for me and others, how high you would play it. 2 TDs?

RJ, Horn will give his own answer for this one, but I've been looking at this play all Summer and I think Houston wins this by more than 2 TDs.

SoonerBS said:
RJ, Horn will give his own answer for this one, but I've been looking at this play all Summer and I think Houston wins this by more than 2 TDs.

That's what I'm thinking too. I had the line capped at -17, so anything up to -14 was good. Getting it under -13 is great.

My concern about posting early plays for the first week is that, at some point, line movements make them no plays.

Not the case in this game, though. Applewhite will need 2-3 years minimum to switch out of the option.

rjurewitz said:
That's what I'm thinking too. I had the line capped at -17, so anything up to -14 was good. Getting it under -13 is great.

My concern about posting early plays for the first week is that, at some point, line movements make them no plays.

Not the case in this game, though. Applewhite will need 2-3 years minimum to switch out of the option.

That's absolutely right, but there's nothing to be done about that. On the other hand, you may grab what seems to be a great line early and injuries and suspensions swing the advantage to the other team before game time.

It's all a gamble.
smoke.gif

on the Cal-Tennesse game I know Nate Longshore is a huge upgrade over Yag ass Joe Ayoob, and IMO thats why there is a lot to like about Cal. Good luck

When Longshore went down last year that really killed their season and they still werent bad. This is a team I wouldnt wanna play I know that.

I just now noticed that Houston dropped down to -12 at BetChris, Horn. They had been -13 for a solid couple of weeks. Don't know why it would drop a whole point. I need to look at some Houston news I guess.

Well, hell, why should I look for Houston News? You live in Houston, that's your department!
evillol.gif

Yeah, somebody just put a bunch of money on Rice or Pinny decided to adjust the lines to compete with other books. Houston is -13 (+104) right now. You can get Houston -12 (-107) on Pinny and Mansion right now.

Just reread your writeup on Pitt and I didn't realize how good Pitt was at home last year. 5-1 ATS, 4-1 ATS as a home fav. 31-13 ATS at home last 5 years.

Good numbers.

SHSUHorn,

Glad to see you on the right side of the Cal/Tenn game. Tennessee will win this game by a field goal or better. Phil knows he cannot lose this season opener, with what happened to the team last year. This is a statement game and Tennessee will come out prepared for this game under the leadership of David Cutcliff and Chavos on defense. Look for Tennessee to control the clock and keep Cals offense on the sideline. Also don't know if Cal's QB can handle the pressure of being in front of 100,000+ Vols fans!!!!!!!

:drinking:

Don't forget an OL that lost 3 3 year starters all drafted in the NFL. Not good for a new Cal OL to break in their first game.

Nice thread on these games appreciate the info. GL Horn - look forward to your props as well.

abcs- I'll have to let Shu answer that, but I'm pretty sure I saw Cal favored by 1 0r 2 a few weeks back.

Shit I had +3 with betmill before that site went to shit. abcs, I hit it when soonerbs told me that betcris opened their lines. and I do believe it fell close to one for a bit before moving back up a couple of weeks ago.

And another thing is 90% of the games on the board it won't matter when you got the line.

It just matter when you happen to lose that one by a half point and you'll never forget it again lol.

USC AT ARKANSAS
Saturday, 8:45 ET on ESPN HD

Tidbits on USC:

USC is 4-11 ATS vs the SEC. USC is 8-1 ATS in its last 9 road openers. Pete Carroll is 37-22 ATS since he’s been at USC. USC is 21-3 SU in its last 24 road games. USC couldn’t stop Vince Young in the Rose Bowl last year (sorry couldn’t resist).

Tidbits on Arkansas:

Ark is 0-4 ATS all-time vs the Pac 10 including last years 70-17 lost to USC. Last year Ark used more true frosh (18) then any other team in the country. Ark returns more starters then any other team in the SEC.

USC Offense vs Arkansas Defense:

USC finished 2nd in the nation in scoring offense with 49.1 ppg. USC returns 4 starters on offense. Were to start with the losses on the USC offense? Leinart, Byrd, Bush, White, Lutui, Matua, and Winston were all big time players that went on to the NFL. I know when top programs lose star players to the NFL you’ll hear the comments of “Well they just reload because they always have top recruiting classes etc..” In this case you’re damn right when talking about USC. Nobody has even come close to touching these boys in recruiting over the last 3 years. They have finished with the #1 class all 3 years and have had a ridiculous 17 5 star recruits in that same time frame. Both QBs on the depth chart are former #1 QBs in Booty and Sanchez and they will be throwing to one of the best WR corp I’ve seen in maybe the last 10 years. I know none of you have probably never heard of these kids outside of Cali or don’t follow recruiting but you will eventually. Remember when Leinart took over for Palmer? Who? The only question mark I have on the offense will be at tailback where it looks like a true frosh will start in CJ Gables since Washington’s been hurt with a hamstring and they were thin at FB already and Hancock is out for the year.

Ark finished 54th in scoring defense giving up 24.6 ppg. Ark returns 9 starters on defense. I just worry a little about the psyche of this defense after giving up 70 points to USC last year. I’ve seen what an ass whoopin can do to a team (see OU/TX) and maybe not seeing Leinart and Bush out there will help erase those memories for the piggies. The defense did look good down the stretch the last 4 games and has a ton of speed all over the place. The corners will both probably be getting a ton of love from NFL scouts but the safeties may be huge problem in this game as neither really stand out and one was a converted corner that isn't physical. I think USC will have a rough go trying to run on this defense but the passing attack should flourish if they go after them down the middle of the field. Can Ark stop Jarrett, Smith, Turner, and Davis and get enough pass rush up front?

Arkansas Offense vs USC Defense:

Ark scored 25.7 ppg finishing 65th. 10 starters return on offense. 10 starters return but 2 of those projected starters are lost to injury and they just happen to be the QB and RB. Ark finished 108th in the country last year in passing and brought in a HS coach in Gus Malzahn who will transform a run first oriented offense into his no huddle attack he ran at Springdale. Casey Dick was the #1 starter after Robert Johnson struggled at QB and Dick was the starter up until his back acted up recently meaning Johnson will now be the starter. Johnson failed to throw for 100 yards in 3 of his 7 starts and had 6 INTs to 5 TDs. What has hog fans optimistic is Johnson did look good in the spring and in fall practices under the new offense under Malzahn. That question will be answered in this game.

The other huge loss for the hogs is losing RB Mcfadden who was the main man in the hogs being 12th in the country in rushing. He was the workhorse of the rushing attack getting first team SEC honors and SEC Frosh of the year with 1,100 yards even though he wasn’t the featured back until the third game. Hog fans will tell you they will be fine because they still have Felix Jones. Jones is smaller of the two and had 600 yards rushing. Big difference in being the featured back carrying the ball a ton and being the focal point of the defense instead of being the guy coming in as a change of pace after Mcfadden has worn them down. Jones never carried the ball more then 14 times all year and had only 2 100-yard games vs Missouri State and La. Monroe. I could be wrong and I think Jones is a very, very good back but Mcfadden has NFL top 5 written all over him. Huge Loss.

USC gave up 22.5 ppg last year finishing 35th in the nation. USC returns 7 starters from last year. Last years defense was the worst under Carrol in terms of giving up points and this year will be the first Carroll returns more then 6 starters on defense. Last year USC had numerous injuries on defense especially at LB. Dallas Sartz was a 2-year starter that was lost to injury. Thomas Williams never recovered from a knee injury, and Keith Rivers and Oscar Lua battled nagging injuries all year. The LB play will not only be better but USC will have the best LB corp in the country with everyone healthy and a 2005 recruiting class that featured the best LB class in the history of rankings all having a year under their belt. With LB being strength it was easy to see why Pete Carroll implemented the 3-4 this coming season to get more of these guys on the field.

My Pick:

USC –7 (-122) ($300) (PINNACLE)

I’ll be the first to admit that I was all over Arkansas and actually played them at +10 when betmill opened its lines in July. Well the only positive about betmill being shut down was I got to rethink my bet because all of a sudden Mcfadden is out and so is Dick at QB and the line fell to 7 at one point.. I like Arkansas this year a lot and honestly think they will surprise many in the SEC this year but to have to lose your starting RB and not know who your QB is until two weeks ago makes me think that it will be tough for them to gel this quickly for the first game of the season with an entire new offensive scheme in place. Not to mention they will be facing one of the most talented teams in the country in USC. This game will be closer then last year but USC covers the 7.

Last edited:
I think so, too. I'll be on USC before this game goes next weekend. I may not get as good a line, but it probably will not matter.

beerchug.gif

Thanks for the tip, Horn. I played it back when that line was still available. Now at -9.

Sooner. :cheers:

money;

SHSUHorn said:
sooner, whatcha waiting for? That line is only gonna get higher come closer to gametime.

You're probably right, but I'm still kicking myself for not jumping on it at -8.
41616-4.gif

I may go buy the hook and bring it down to -8.5 to help myself feel better.

Don't let it get to -10. I really think once the avg fan starts to place his bet and see both RB & QB out for Arkie the money will pour into USC.

Like USC

I also like USC the BetCris line i got an hour ago was 9 but i still like it, i think the depth alone with carry them to a two touchdown win

Louisiana Tech at Nebraska
Saturday, 3:30 ET on FSN

Tidbits on Nebraska:

Nebraska is 2-6 ATS vs current WAC members. Nebraska led the nation in sacks with 50 last year. Nebraska averaged 77,000 fans last year at home.

Tidbits on La. Tech:

LT is 2-10 SU & ATS vs BCS schools the last 4 years. LT is 1-6 ATS in non conference games the last 3 years. LT has only covered 3 of the last 12 games they were the underdog.

Nebraska Offense vs La. Tech Defense:

Nebraska avg 24.7 ppg finishing 67th in the country in year 2 of the west coast offense. 8 starters return on offense but the big key is the progress Zac Taylor is making. After a shaky start which is expected when you have the playbook the size of Callahan Taylor did come on strong as the season went on. The key elements of this attack is a quick release and reading defenses and Taylor showed this spring that he has all the tools. Callahn brought in Jon Gruden probably one of the best QB coaches out there and Gruden came away extremely impressed with Taylor. Taylor has improved and gotten comfortable with the offense that the coaches focused on improving an anemic rushing attack that finished 107th in the country. Ross has graduated so its up to Cody Glenn and former blue chip stud So. Marlon Lucky who was the #3 RB out of HS. The offense returns more starters then anytime in the Callahan regime which is why many including myself feel this is the team to beat in the North.

LT gave up 25.5 ppg finishing 58th in the country their best mark in years as LT annualy gave up more then 30 ppg before last season. Only 2 starters return on defense though so it will definitley be a rebuilding year on this side of the ball. LT loses their entire DL for the second year in a row and lose 5 of their top 6 in the rotation on the DL. The year before LT lost 8 starters and improved greatly but that’s because the guys plugged in were experienced SRs that had seen a lot of snaps. This year most of the defenders are young and inexperienced. Nebraska should be able to move the ball with ease.

Nebraska Defense vs La. Tech Offense:

LT averaged 28.7 ppg finishing 46th in the nation. 8 starters return on offense. This will ne the third year in a row LT is breaking in a new QB. Zac Champion was the #1 starter coming out the spring and the only QB that’s thrown a Div 1 pass (8 in 2Y). They return pretty much everybody else and should be fine on offense in the WAC when Champion gets a couple of the tough road games under his belt. The only issue is he’s facing one of the most active defenses in the country with Nebraska and their nation leading 50 sacks.

NU gave up only 21 ppg last year finishing 25th in the country. The DL lost both DTs to the NFL but still have plenty of outside rush from the DEs in Carriker and Moore. The LB corp should be one of the best in the Big 12 Because the team was decimated with injuries throughout the year at this position Nebraska returns 6 LBs with starting experience. This defense will be one of the best in the country and I wouldn’t be surprised to see La. Tech in single digits when the final whistle sounds.

My Play:

Nebraska –20 ($400)

A new QB for LT in his first game in Lincoln isn’t exactly a recipe for success. The defense may pitch the shutout here and Taylor has improved so much in picking up the offense in the last few games of last year and this past spring that NU easily covers the 3 TDs.

Back