NBA Round 1 Discussion thread

Yeah, this whole "they'll be motivated" angle tends to be a little overblown by us bettors. Where was Toronto's motivation in Game 2? Where was Boston's motivation last night? Where was Dallas' motivation six of the last seven times they played the Rockets when they lost straight up.

Sometimes, not all the time, but sometimes, the better team just wins simply because they are the better team...

Agreed... i can understand if there were some points involved but this is a pick em...

I believe that Aminu played well and should get more minutes that he would have got, was Parsons healthy.
I think that Dallas roster is similar to the roster that took Spurs to 7 games series. I expect Ellis to play much much better.
I believe that without Rondo, Dallas can play much better basketball and that it took Rockets amazing games by Terry and Brewer in Game 1 and probably best game in Rockets uniform by both Smith and Dwight in Game 2, to win Dallas after very even games.
I also think that Chandler can do a lot better job on defense.
I believe that people forgot too early that Beverly and Motejunas, both important players are out for the Rockets and only look at Rondo's and Parsons absence.
I think that the saying that the series doesn't start till there is a road win is true.

To put it simply, I think that Dallas roster minus Rondo and Parsons is better than Dallas roster with Rondo and Parsons (not because of Parsons, but because Rondo is absolutely terrible fit for the team and destroyed both Monte and Dirk) and that this Dallas roster is better than Rockets roster, given Beverly's injury.

I believe that Aminu played well and should get more minutes that he would have got, was Parsons healthy.
I think that Dallas roster is similar to the roster that took Spurs to 7 games series. I expect Ellis to play much much better.
I believe that without Rondo, Dallas can play much better basketball and that it took Rockets amazing games by Terry and Brewer in Game 1 and probably best game in Rockets uniform by both Smith and Dwight in Game 2, to win Dallas after very even games.
I also think that Chandler can do a lot better job on defense.
I believe that people forgot too early that Beverly and Motejunas, both important players are out for the Rockets and only look at Rondo's and Parsons absence.
I think that the saying that the series doesn't start till there is a road win is true.

To put it simply, I think that Dallas roster minus Rondo and Parsons is better than Dallas roster with Rondo and Parsons (not because of Parsons, but because Rondo is absolutely terrible fit for the team and destroyed both Monte and Dirk) and that this Dallas roster is better than Rockets roster, given Beverly's injury.

Wow

I could be wrong, but yes, that is my opinion.
I think that Rockets with Dwight are not as good as without him, unless he is playing like in Game 2. If he will start to play like that, I take it back.
Otherwise, you got a bad fit for a roster, that still needs to log big minutes and huge superstar, but not much supporting cast.
Terry and Prigioni forced to play around 48 minutes as PG, Brewer can go off, but also can play like regular self.
It's basically Harden, Jones and Ariza in my eyes and x-factor that so far, in each game popped up for McHale and failed to do so for Dallas.
Bench players play better at home than on the road, so I fully expect this to be the other way around today.

Again, obviously I been wrong before and much more than once.
This is my opinion and I will gladly be right about it :)

I could be wrong, but yes, that is my opinion.
I think that Rockets with Dwight are not as good as without him, unless he is playing like in Game 2. If he will start to play like that, I take it back.
Otherwise, you got a bad fit for a roster, that still needs to log big minutes and huge superstar, but not much supporting cast.
Terry and Prigioni forced to play around 48 minutes as PG, Brewer can go off, but also can play like regular self.
It's basically Harden, Jones and Ariza in my eyes and x-factor that so far, in each game popped up for McHale and failed to do so for Dallas.
Bench players play better at home than on the road, so I fully expect this to be the other way around today.

Again, obviously I been wrong before and much more than once.
This is my opinion and I will gladly be right about it :)

Thats fair...

Agreed Peverly is a big loss, A thought regarding Howard , he missed 98% of the season and is still ramping up to "game shape". Lots of things to dislike about him and how he approaches the game.. but when healthy and in shape -still a dominant force on Defense.... and good enough on offense?

I think Josh smith has the lowest hoop iq in the league however he has played pretty well since being on the rox and can play multiple positions.. (can play poorly at any given moment as well).... I will take Brewers regular self (defense and get out on breaks on offense), thats why they got him.... Prigioni is still guess work, but he looks like he is getting more comfortable out there.. in his first few games (at the end of the season) he looked lost and was afraid to shoot....Terry just needs to knock down open shots on offense .. and attempt to play a little defense....

I think Dallas' bench is garbage.. aminu is a nice player but without wright and crowder he seems lost and stoudemire looks pedestrian like, but you do have Felton and Villanueva..

:shake:

Dallas lost by 2, but with Barea on the floor? +22!

Watched the game and mixed feelings here. On one side, Houston seems like the better team and I would have been lucky if Dallas would have pulled it off.
On the other hand, it took amazing game by Dwight on boards (26 rebounds - playoffs high of all times for the Rockets), playoffs record for Harden on points (42), amazing game by Smith and Brewer from the bench and 52% from behind the arc... to win the game by 2 points.

On the other hand, mediocre game by the Mavs. Barea and Aminu were great, but other than that... nothing special percentage wise or some great game.
Dirk had few great chances to do some harm, but missed, Ellis was great - but nothing amazing.

Rockets were the better team tonight, but if both teams had "regular" games... I still think that Dallas should have won this one.

3 from 17 for Lowry and Toronto still in the game. I don't know what is more amazing, the fact that Lowry continues to shoot (including behind the arc) or that somehow Raptors still reached 73 points and in the game...

Dallas lost by 2, but with Barea on the floor? +22!

Watched the game and mixed feelings here. On one side, Houston seems like the better team and I would have been lucky if Dallas would have pulled it off.
On the other hand, it took amazing game by Dwight on boards (26 rebounds - playoffs high of all times for the Rockets), playoffs record for Harden on points (42), amazing game by Smith and Brewer from the bench and 52% from behind the arc... to win the game by 2 points.

On the other hand, mediocre game by the Mavs. Barea and Aminu were great, but other than that... nothing special percentage wise or some great game.
Dirk had few great chances to do some harm, but missed, Ellis was great - but nothing amazing.

Rockets were the better team tonight, but if both teams had "regular" games... I still think that Dallas should have won this one.

I don't understand any if this.. Amazing games ? Regular games??
What does the final score matter??? Tip my hat to Dallas they never gave up.. They hit some contested shots at the end that made the score close and had a chance to tie. , josh smith challenges the shot and Monta was closer to hitting a luxury box than the hoop.....Howard gets the rebounds because mavs kept missing and he is getting healthier/game shape
just tip your hat to the rox and move on..

no no idea how you think they should have won the game??

I don't understand any if this.. Amazing games ? Regular games??
What does the final score matter??? Tip my hat to Dallas they never gave up.. They hit some contested shots at the end that made the score close and had a chance to tie. , josh smith challenges the shot and Monta was closer to hitting a luxury box than the hoop.....Howard gets the rebounds because mavs kept missing and he is getting healthier/game shape
just tip your hat to the rox and move on..

no no idea how you think they should have won the game??

don't sweat the small stuff CASH...same fellow said Clips were good to beat the Spurs tonight as well. :prayer

No discussion of under in Celtics game tomorrow. Have not been watching the playoffs much just firing in about 2 teasers a day. Do we pass on the under because it is still the first round? By the way Dirk retiring might be a clue that he does not like the team. I believe I did read he is retiring.

Just a guess. Looked at the Spurs last 20 home games. 18-2 with 9 straight wins and it should be 9 straight covers not 8 if they used the opening line in the Suns game.
The 2 losses were to Cleveland and The Clippers who beat them in San Antonio by 20 points. Any possibility that that loss set up this one? I guess I guess a lot.

No discussion of under in Celtics game tomorrow. Have not been watching the playoffs much just firing in about 2 teasers a day. Do we pass on the under because it is still the first round? By the way Dirk retiring might be a clue that he does not like the team. I believe I did read he is retiring.

Games 4 & 5 in any round don't really favour unders bc of the elimination angle, tuck (50-43-1 overall, but certainly 1st R affairs seem to do so more often than 2nd R onwards re the limited umber of results recorded in my stickied thread).

The other thing I don't like when considering elim unders, is the fact that the 2 teams involved have managed to deliver under results in the previous lead-in games: I see that as 'over selling' the elim under spot, which the contrarian nba then has a habit of happily delivering a game containing an avalanche of points (Cavs/Cs off 2 unders headed into G4).

But the above aside, that game's not until Sunday.

Just an fyi for Saturday -

Blankets 2 longest survivor streaks (14 & 13 games respectively) have both picked Mempiss +3 to continue their streaks.

The 14-15-16 game mark seems to traditionally be the sawing off point for most streaks of note in that contest.

Just an fyi for Saturday -

Blankets 2 longest survivor streaks (14 & 13 games respectively) have both picked Mempiss +3 to continue their streaks.

The 14-15-16 game mark seems to traditionally be the sawing off point for most streaks of note in that contest.

In the Portland game Ayotte one of the refs is 8-1 for home favorites 0-4.5
The other 2 in their last 20 games with Portland break 18-2 for Portland SU

The nets offense is really troublesome.

im on the Warriors pretty big. Don't see how the Pelicans show up. Gonna be ugly IMO.

Not sure. Dubs gonna Dub.

Pels situation has never arisen being they're a home dog but home teams in the playoffs off a loss after going into the 4th up double-digits are 9-0 SU.

Who know how they'll respond but the 'internet' believes they're over. Not enough angles to bet, Pels have been in every game but as expected by a young team - they can't close the deal.

Grizzlies/Warriors is going to be a fantastic series; wonder what price will be on grizzlies? They look ridiculously good, but maybe portland is just beyond awful

portland just is too worn out and injured... last year their starting 5 missed ONE game combined... yup ONE... and it has caught up to them big this season

I remember once you could count on teams to respond down 0-2, no resilience in the league anymore.

Any idea why Chicago had 26 turnovers?

Milwaukee played solid defense for most of the game,, They have length at every position and used it to get in the passing lanes, tighter defense etc etc...
Also game 4 and maybe bulls mentally might not have been there 100% and let themselves get sloppy knowing they had a 3 game advantage.. my .02

Looking for a fire Monty prop - within 24,36,48,72 hrs... anyone see one let me know .. hhahahhaa

[TABLE="class: linesTbl, width: 934"]
<tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; font-size: 12px;">[TR="class: linesHeader"]
[TD="colspan: 8"][h=4]NBA BASKETBALL - MON 4/27[/h][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesColumns"]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, colspan: 4, align: center"]GAME[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]HANDICAP[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]MONEY LINE[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]TOTAL POINTS[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]MORE[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesAlt1"]
[TD="class: linesDate, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Mon 4/27[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]509[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Atlanta Hawks[/TD]
[TD="class: linesScore, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]-4 1.970[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"] 1.561[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Over 195.5 1.980[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMore, bgcolor: #E6EEFB, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]04:05 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]510[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Brooklyn Nets[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]+4 1.934[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"] 2.600[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Under 195.5 1.925[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesAlt2"]
[TD="class: linesDate, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Mon 4/27[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]511[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Milwaukee Bucks [/TD]
[TD="class: linesScore, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]+8 2.000[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"] 4.330[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Over 187.5 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMore, bgcolor: #C1D2EE, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesAlt2"]
[TD="bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]05:05 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]512[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Chicago Bulls[/TD]
[TD="class: linesScore, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]-8 1.909[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"] 1.260[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Under 187.5 1.952[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: linesDate, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Mon 4/27[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]513[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Memphis Grizzlies[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]+2 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesMore, bgcolor: #E6EEFB, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]07:35 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]514[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Portland Trail Blazers [/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]-2 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"][/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

WALTHAM, Mass. -- Boston Celtics coach Brad Stevens said he's undecided about his starting lineup for Game 4 against the Cleveland Cavaliers. But the Celtics practiced Saturday in preparation for changes while hoping to extend their season by avoiding a sweep.
When the Celtics opened practice to the media on Saturday, players were stretching to end the session. Among those in the green practice shirts that typically denote starters were Evan Turner, Avery Bradley, Jae Crowder, Jonas Jerebko, and Tyler Zeller. Marcus Smart and Brandon Bass, who started the first three games of the series, were wearing reserve white.
After Bradley let it slip to reporters that the team was expecting lineup changes, Crowder confirmed he is planning to start.
Stevens' hesitation to reveal his lineup might stem from uncertainty surrounding Jared Sullinger, who bruised his tailbone during Thursday's Game 3 loss and did not participate in Saturday's practice. Sullinger is listed as probable for Sunday's matinee. His availability could affect how Stevens works his bigs rotation.
Stevens, who wasn't asked about potential lineup changes while meeting with reporters, was later jogging on a treadmill overlooking the practice courts and was questioned about what his starting lineup might look like.
"In all sincerity, I have an idea, but it's not 100 percent," said Stevens, noting he still had about 24 hours to roll around all the different potential lineups.
The Celtics utilized the Turner-Bradley-Crowder-Jerebko-Zeller lineup at the start of the third quarter in Thursday's Game 3 and that group played the Cavs even over the first eight minutes of the second half. For the entire game, that lineup was plus-10 overall in 15 total minutes. It's the only time this series that group has worked together.
The Turner-Crowder-Jerebko-Zeller four-man lineup has been one of Boston's most frequent combinations through three games (22 total minutes). It's also one of the Celtics' best groupings with a plus-21.6 net rating (99.9 offensive rating; 78.3 defensive rating). It's a small sample, but that grouping has also been one of Boston's better defensive rebounding units grabbing 76.2 percent of rebounds on the defensive glass (6 percent higher than the team's average this series).
Said Crowder of the potential lineup change: "We’re just trying to come hit first." The Celtics have played from behind much of the series and, when the Cavaliers make their runs, haven't been able to respond.
In shuffling out Smart, the Celtics would lean on Turner as their point guard and primary ball-handler, but that's not a big change considering Turner has often run the offense while starting at the swingman position. If Boston brings Crowder and Jerebko onto the starting unit, it gives Boston the ability to switch more pick-and-rolls in an attempt to keep bodies in front of them on the perimeter while also looking to put players in better position to box out against a Cleveland team that has utilized the offensive glass to generate key buckets during this series.
Sullinger's health could be critical for Boston. He's been the team's best defensive rebounder while grabbing 27.3 percent of available caroms when he's on the floor. Despite still shaking rust after missing 24 games due to a foot fracture, Sullinger has been an important part of Boston's reserve unit this series.
Said Bradley of the potential changes: "I’m excited for everyone [Sunday]. I think our lineup is different [for Game 4], and I know that we’re just going to go out there and play as hard as we can and play well."

could be important if you play props...

Dallas is toast IMO....gave all they had in Game 3 to try and make it a series....came up short. I dont see them getting up to pull off a W today.

Yup. Boston is actually interesting me now. Stevens will not let his players quit. They have brought it every game this year. Not sure if I'll play it though.

NBA | HOUSTON at DALLAS
Play Against - Underdogs vs the money line (DALLAS) triple revenge - 3 straight losses vs. opponent, after allowing 105 points or more in a loss to a division rival
27-2 since 1997. ( 93.1% | 23.4 units )

bye bye mavs

Agree that Boston wont quit but dont know if they have the horses to keep it up for 48....Im thinking 1st half might be the play.

He won't let them quit. Cleveland will help them do just that. :)
4 - 0 tonight and it will be the highest margin in this series yet imho.

As for Dallas, very hard to read them.
I like the Over there, overall or TT Dallas.
I think that old teams quit at 0 - 3 much faster than young teams do, becuase young teams really want to get that one playoff win.
Old teams know they are done and just want it to be over with...
I have Rockets to win the series 4 - 1 bet, so hope Dallas pull this one...

After I write this, I'm sure that Boston will go on a 100 - 0 run, but for me, this is the most one sided series so far...

I really wish that Pacers with George would have been in the playoffs instead of Nets/Celtics...

I LOVE PERKINS!
I would pay money to see what Perkins does to Olynik when he returns...

I really find it hard to believe that we will see 3 series end tonight.

Will wait for Boston game to be over, but will consider to bet Raps/ Dallas ml maybe...

Took both teams TT Over for now.

That defensive fuck up by derrick rose cost me about $600 yesterday. Had the over. Gets to ot it goes over. Now u could say i was lucky to be tied at 90-90 but needing a bulls stop with 1.8 seconds left I felt great. Kidd did a great job calling TO and setting up that play though. Had to vent about that

I believe that Smith shouldn't be suspended for Game 1 of the next round. Crowder started that and he did everything possible to get a reaction from Cavs.
It's wrong to have a player from a team that eliminated, provoking players from a winning team for them to get suspended for the next series. It makes zero sense...

I believe that Smith shouldn't be suspended for Game 1 of the next round. Crowder started that and he did everything possible to get a reaction from Cavs.
It's wrong to have a player from a team that eliminated, provoking players from a winning team for them to get suspended for the next series. It makes zero sense...

Wow , just wow.... what game are you watching??? You might possibly be the only person on this earth including Cavs fans that think what he did is someone else's fault and shouldnt be suspended....

That defensive fuck up by derrick rose cost me about $600 yesterday. Had the over. Gets to ot it goes over. Now u could say i was lucky to be tied at 90-90 but needing a bulls stop with 1.8 seconds left I felt great. Kidd did a great job calling TO and setting up that play though. Had to vent about that

Venting is good...

Yeah cuz that over was the 1st part of the four teamer. I hoped one of the next three would lose and they all fucking come in

I had a rose prop so needed the ot as well,, he did nothing until the 4th qtr, then the last 2 plays...such is the nba...

[video]https://vine.co/v/eW6dpjOrJDH[/video]

and the perkins one

[video]https://vine.co/v/eW6igUthB33[/video]

Wow , just wow.... what game are you watching??? You might possibly be the only person on this earth including Cavs fans that think what he did is someone else's fault and shouldnt be suspended....
You possibly be the only person on earth that thinks opposite.

Back