My Pick To Win the 2017 NCAAF Championship

~Utah

CTG Super Moderator
Staff member
Alabama - Tough schedule and at +245 its not worth it

Ohio State - Not a bad schedule but the game in Ann Arbor could be tough.

USC - easiest schedule by far

FSU - Will likely lose to Bama

My Pick - USC +850

Really haven't done a ton of research but they should get in the playoff with a fairly light schedule. Toughest games being at Notre Dame and at Colorado

Last edited:
You think they are still in with a loss in Title game to Washington? Lets say if they are undefeated...

Mate they will have to beat Washington in the conference championship which will be their toughest game...that said, I can't disagree, ND and Colorado aren't tough imo

tough games for USC (mark my words)

vs Stanford (loaded team)
@ Wazzu (loaded team)
@ ND (young team but cannot see Kelly having back to back losing seasons. I think he has something up his sleeve)
@ Colorado (great coach. will be seasoned by the time Trojans visit Boulder)
vs UCLA (always a tough game. If Rosen healthy, Bruins could be very tough)

possible sneaky tough games:

vs Texas (yes, Texas. they are skyhigh under their new young HC)
@ ASU (graham a very good coach and when things are quiet he is usually up to something)

My prediction, at least 2 losses in the reg season and considered a disappointment to the pundits and fans who are anointing them and Sam Darnold.

Target square on their backs - every team they play will be ready for them and it will be the opponent's Super Bowl every time

I would recommend looking at some schools outside the Top 10 for a some good longshots to win the title.

Every team in the Top 10 will have a target square on their backs.

Schools like Bama and tOSU will have no problem with this because they have been right there the last 3-4 years, while schools like USC will have a major problem w/ it because they have not been truly relevant on the national scene since 2008.

Ya pretty sure therebis a big12 representative in the playoffs this year. Uga is also a team where things could fall in place in time for them to get good.

Darnold pretty hyped but i think it is legit hype.

DD fave at Colorado...

Maybe, but Colorado came on hot last year...maybe it happens again

tough games for USC (mark my words)

vs Stanford (loaded team)
@ Wazzu (loaded team)
@ ND (young team but cannot see Kelly having back to back losing seasons. I think he has something up his sleeve)
@ Colorado (great coach. will be seasoned by the time Trojans visit Boulder)
vs UCLA (always a tough game. If Rosen healthy, Bruins could be very tough)

possible sneaky tough games:

vs Texas (yes, Texas. they are skyhigh under their new young HC)
@ ASU (graham a very good coach and when things are quiet he is usually up to something)

My prediction, at least 2 losses in the reg season and considered a disappointment to the pundits and fans who are anointing them and Sam Darnold.

Target square on their backs - every team they play will be ready for them and it will be the opponent's Super Bowl every time

I would recommend looking at some schools outside the Top 10 for a some good longshots to win the title.

Every team in the Top 10 will have a target square on their backs.

Schools like Bama and tOSU will have no problem with this because they have been right there the last 3-4 years, while schools like USC will have a major problem w/ it because they have not been truly relevant on the national scene since 2008.

Not saying ND is gonna be a bad team, I just think USC will be better. UCLA is usually done by the end of the year, but nonetheless, I'm sure it will be a tough game

Honestly not seeing what the hype is about. Their recent record as a preseason top 5 team is pretty telling.

Weeks 2 and 3 will be tough for them.

Even if they somehow make it out of the regular season they don't have the talent, toughness or coaching to compete with the heavy hitters.

Last season's opener vs Bama wasn't an anomaly.

I think they have the talent, I'd agree I don't think the coaching is top notch

Alex this is a great pick

Wait now last season is a benchmark? If that's the public perception I'm in on the Trojans as well, fuck hell they're a beast.Saying they don't have the touugness of tOSU or Bama is shoddy at best, sounds like some homer shit....and possibly the best coach of the 3 although Clay will have to prove it. But gimme a break with "toughness" lol...they're USC and plenty tough

Pretty good discussion in here, I'd like to hear from tOSU fans which games you might not win and angles...that's where the value is if you can take the shades off. Of course OU and the B10 championship game are in play, just curious about which others are of concern (no need to bring up UM)..guessing PSU of course, but there will be another in there, I think IU could be a dogfight.

Wait now last season is a benchmark? If that's the public perception I'm in on the Trojans as well, fuck hell they're a beast.Saying they don't have the touugness of tOSU or Bama is shoddy at best, sounds like some homer shit....and possibly the best coach of the 3 although Clay will have to prove it. But gimme a break with "toughness" lol...they're USC and plenty tough

I don't know what you mean by 'benchmark'. It's a point of discussion, that's all. You can go back to last year or however many years prior (as far as toughness or SC being annually overrated) or simply look at the Pac conference as a whole where defense isn't really emphasized or when Oregon would run roughshod over the rest of the conference only to get bullied by bigger teams in bowl games. Or we could wipe the slate clean and start by looking at this year only. I don't really care.

And I'm confused by the homer stuff as well since I didn't mention any other teams. It's just my opinion here.

Clay Helton is the best coach out of what 3? Saban and Meyer?

I don't know what you mean by 'benchmark'. It's a point of discussion, that's all. You can go back to last year or however many years prior (as far as toughness or SC being annually overrated) or simply look at the Pac conference as a whole where defense isn't really emphasized or when Oregon would run roughshod over the rest of the conference only to get bullied by bigger teams in bowl games. Or we could wipe the slate clean and start by looking at this year only. I don't really care.

And I'm confused by the homer stuff as well since I didn't mention any other teams. It's just my opinion here.

Clay Helton is the best coach out of what 3? Saban and Meyer?

You do realize they're just now getting full scholarships back right?

I think the stat I saw about USC as a preseason top 10 team goes back 25 years...

May I ask what you meant about the Clay Helton being possibly the best of the 3?

I think Clay Helton is a top 5 coach, doubt I can convince you if you don't agree and I'm no USC fan, that for sure

He's a very, very good coach and just happens to have a very good team with a Grade A QB....I still think Washington is the team to beat in that conference so it's likely a moot point

Browining is my pick for Heisman because I'm not sure they lose this season and he's really good and has a QB friendly coach

LOL, now I remember this...

You cussed me out last season when I said that Tom Herman wasn't going to SC (when Helton was sure-fire to get canned midseason) and swore up and down that SC was gonna pay for a big name coach despite their history of never doing so.

So you went from having Helton as a lame duck HC to top 5 in CFB who might end up better than Saban and Meyer? C'mon man.

If I cussed you out it was a good day. I don't recall that lol...

Although I feel lucky to wake up at times

Clay is an interesting story, he's somehow gotten control of that team which is interesting to me. I'm ok saying I was wrong...that guy could have a 20 year career there.

USC are just now getting back to normal with the scholly restrictions and UW with Peterson makes the conference interesting, throw in Shaw and the Tree and it's really fun. I've lived here 18 years and can't stand the Pac12 but there's an essence of enjoyment finally....tell me who in the South sucks...Arizona maybe? It's a ton o fun.....UW will win 11 games, kickin ass and takin names. Not sure they beat USC in the title game.

Clay is an interesting story, he's somehow gotten control of that team which is interesting to me. I'm ok saying I was wrong...that guy could have a 20 year career there.

I think the whole 'he lost the team' stuff was overblown. He had the misfortune of playing alabama week 1 (SC doesn't usually schedule those types of games) and were outclassed and outmanned and fans/media couldn't deal with seeing how that played out on the field. And then played Stanford right after that who always gives SC trouble.

I watch a lot of SC games. The guy is not a good coach. At all.

We'll see how he fares this season with some ridiculously high expectations.

Utah will be USC's toughest test in the South. CU will regress this year IMHO. Tyler Huntley and Darren Carrington going to give Utah a different dynamic on offense this year.

I think Clay Helton is a top 5 coach, doubt I can convince you if you don't agree and I'm no USC fan, that for sure

He's a very, very good coach and just happens to have a very good team with a Grade A QB....I still think Washington is the team to beat in that conference so it's likely a moot point
Totally disgree on him being top 5, his resume isn't nearly long enough. He's not even close to the best coach in the P12 S. As bad as AZ is, I'd put Rich Rod ahead of Helton at this point in their careers. Hell, I could probably coach USC to 7 wins this year.

Respectfully disagree, think he's head and shoulders above number 2 in the South. Rich Rod...really? Maybe Kyle, but no to UA/ASU/UCLA/Colorado...Helton is really good and I guess that's a gamble angle if people don't think so. Didn't realize that was a thing.

Utah will be USC's toughest test in the South. CU will regress this year IMHO. Tyler Huntley and Darren Carrington going to give Utah a different dynamic on offense this year.

i'm sorry but NO WAY NO HOW will USC hosting Utah be their toughest game in the south.

@ ASU
vs Zona
@ CU
vs UCLA

will all probably be tougher than a Utes team that is replacing 13 of the 22 starters. i know you're a Utes fan but from my research you are going to be lucky to win 6 games this year against that schedule and with what you are replacing this year. I absolutely LOVE kyle whittingham and have followed your program for over two decades when Mike McCoy was your QB but you guys are going to take steps backward this year, not forward. My opinion.

helton is barely a top 5 coach in the pac 12 south let alone in the country. he had a great run thanks to darnold the last 10 gms of last year, but look at the proven coaches in his own division and conf first!!!

- mora numerous 10 win seasons
- whittingham the same
- mac at cu won at san jose and now cu
- graham at asu great coach
- richrod at az has won everywhere

- peterson at wash is a witch
- david shaw numerous 10 win seasons
- mike leach wins everywhere
- gary anderson and willie taggart have done as much or than helton has

i honestly don't think helton is even top 7 in pure coaching ability in the conference.

maybe after they lose to stanford and barely beat texas, we can stop this talk very early in the season..

Seriously I could be way off, I love USC but P12 south is a beast this year from what I can tell

Utes should win all of those but hard to convince me @ASU and @Colorado won't be one touchdown games...might lose both

And majent I know we'll disagree but I think Helton is better than everyone on that list other than Peterson and Shaw

Runs circles around everyone in the South other than Kyle, perception from all of us is interesting

Interesting, I think he might be a great coach...we'll see obv

I'm just reading this and I am sure you are backing off now

You think this guy is the better coach of Saban and Meyer?

Was that correct up there?

I know people have opinions.....but c'mon dude

USC are just now getting back to normal with the scholly restrictions and UW with Peterson makes the conference interesting, throw in Shaw and the Tree and it's really fun. I've lived here 18 years and can't stand the Pac12 but there's an essence of enjoyment finally....tell me who in the South sucks...Arizona maybe? It's a ton o fun.....UW will win 11 games, kickin ass and takin names. Not sure they beat USC in the title game.
KJ you low key love the P12

C'mon dog

And I agree with you tho.....it's on the up and up

They need to get the tv money right some how/way.....because of the all the 5s, they give the least shit about football as a whole I would say....maybe b12, but I say the former

I hate the Pac12

What are you talking bout?

If anything I guess I pull for the Big10 but I'm not a conference guy

helton is barely a top 5 coach in the pac 12 south let alone in the country. he had a great run thanks to darnold the last 10 gms of last year, but look at the proven coaches in his own division and conf first!!!

- whittingham the same

i honestly don't think helton is even top 7 in pure coaching ability in the conference.

maybe after they lose to stanford and barely beat texas, we can stop this talk very early in the season..

Agree with the overall sentiment of your post but dick rod most definitely did not win at mich and honestly it may have been the worst overall coaching performance I've seen in my lifetime. i still have dick rod over helton though. he should've taken that south carolina job when he had the chance because i don't see him at arizona for much longer.

i know a lot of people love graham at asu but i really don't know why.

I hate the Pac12

What are you talking bout?

Is it possible that you hate them so much that you actually love them?

I'm just going by your comments in the herman thread and now this. I don't even know if Helton's mother would have him superior to urban and saban.

Don't get me wrong, I think Helton is brilliant. Hate USC and it pisses me off.

i'm sorry but NO WAY NO HOW will USC hosting Utah be their toughest game in the south.

@ ASU
vs Zona
@ CU
vs UCLA

will all probably be tougher than a Utes team that is replacing 13 of the 22 starters. i know you're a Utes fan but from my research you are going to be lucky to win 6 games this year against that schedule and with what you are replacing this year. I absolutely LOVE kyle whittingham and have followed your program for over two decades when Mike McCoy was your QB but you guys are going to take steps backward this year, not forward. My opinion.
Agree to disagree. I think Utah wins 8 games.

- whittingham the same

Agree on Helton. Quite a few coaches with better resumes than him in the PAC. Darnold makes him look like a better coach than he is, that kid is a damn good QB.

Agree to disagree. I think Utah wins 8 games.

Brother I don't see it. My opinions based on my research of each opponent and how they look on paper today:

vs NDU = win but tough
at byu = probable loss
v san jose = win
at zona = probable loss
v stanford = toss up due to hfa
at usc = loss
v asu = win
at oregon = loss
v ucla = toss up
v wazzu = toss up
at wash = loss
v colo = probable win

I have you with 4 wins/probable wins, 3 toss ups, and 5 losses/probable losses

I see 6-6 most likely with 7-5 on the high side if things break right but if not, even 5-7 a possibility.

I'm going to stick with 6-6.

Not trying to knock your team, Bro, because again I am a big fan of Coach Whitt but I think this is definitely a rebuilding year in SLC.

BTW my favorite schools is Oklahoma in case you want to take some shots at my team LOL

Back