Monday Padres/Rockies 1 Game playoff Discussion

• Thread starter Thread starter scourge
  • Start date Start date
S

scourge

<table border="0" cellspacing="0" width="600"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#003366"><td align="center" width="20">951</td> <td width="180">San Diego Padres</td> <td width="180">6:35 pm Add to Ticket</td> <td align="center" width="20">952</td> <td width="180">Colorado Rockies</td> </tr> </tbody></table> <table bgcolor="#ffebcd" border="0" cellspacing="0" width="600"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td colspan="8">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" width="30"><input name="Selection" value="G*68263432*951*0*S*-1.5*110" type="checkbox"></td> <td width="85">-1½</td> <td width="85">+110</td> <td colspan="2" align="center" bgcolor="#99cccc" width="180">Game Spread</td> <td align="center" width="30"><input name="Selection" value="G*68263432*952*0*S*1.5*-130" type="checkbox"></td> <td width="85">+1½</td> <td width="85">-130</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td colspan="8">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" width="30"><input name="Selection" value="G*68263432*951*0*M*0*-145" type="checkbox"></td> <td width="85">-145</td> <td width="85"> </td> <td colspan="2" align="center" bgcolor="#99cccc" width="180">Game MoneyLine</td> <td align="center" width="30"><input name="Selection" value="G*68263432*952*0*M*0*125" type="checkbox"></td> <td width="85">+125</td> <td width="85"> </td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td colspan="8">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" width="30"><input name="Selection" value="G*68263432*951*0*LO*9*-110" type="checkbox"></td> <td width="85">Over 9</td> <td width="85">-110</td> <td colspan="2" align="center" bgcolor="#99cccc" width="180">Game Total</td> <td align="center" width="30"><input name="Selection" value="G*68263432*952*0*LU*9*-110" type="checkbox"></td> <td width="85">Under 9</td> <td width="85">-110</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td colspan="8">
</td> </tr> <tr> <td align="center" width="30"><input name="Selection" value="G*68263432*951*0*EO*5*100" type="checkbox"></td> <td width="85">Over 5</td> <td width="85">+100</td> <td colspan="2" align="center" bgcolor="#99cccc" width="180">Game Team Total</td> <td align="center" width="30"><input name="Selection" value="G*68263432*952*0*EO*4*-120" type="checkbox"></td> <td width="85">Over 4</td> <td width="85">-120</td> </tr> <tr> </tr><tr bgcolor="#ffffff"> <td colspan="8">
</td> </tr> <tr><td align="center" width="30"><input name="Selection" value="G*68263432*951*0*EU*5*-130" type="checkbox"></td> <td width="85">Under 5</td> <td width="85">-130</td> <td colspan="2" align="center" bgcolor="#99cccc" width="180">Game Team Total</td> <td align="center" width="30"><input name="Selection" value="G*68263432*952*0*EU*4*-110" type="checkbox"></td> <td width="85">Under 4</td> <td width="85">-110</td></tr></tbody></table>​

I'm leaning towards the Rox and Fogg just because I'd like to see them in the playoffs and I'm not really getting the vibe the the Padres have what it takes to win this game, even though Peavy's a beast.

I'm taking the Rockies myself. They have the momentum and won't be traveling. Expect 50K or whoever many Coors field will hold to be there. It was a very lively place today and I 'm sure tomrorrow will be the same.

the rocks will be rockin' tomorrow. while this padres squad is limping into this game, the rocks are flying sky high. ride the big mo.

I've been rooting for the Rockies the past week or so and may have a play on them. However I must admit I am truly surprised at how the Padres have gameplanned the past few games. Why not pitch Peavy today? I mean, I know they wanted to save him in CASE of a tiebreaker game and if not then hey he'd be ready to pitch right away for the playoffs. BUT they had a chance to wrap up the wild card spot NOW (by sending their ace to the mound) and instead started Tomko (who only lasted about 4 innings and then they had to dip into their bullpen). I mean if you have a chance to win it right there, wouldn't you go for it? If they used Peavy today, they possibly could've wrapped it up AND had the day off on Monday...giving their position players rest. Now they have to play an extra game. What happens if they do win but someone gets hurt? In my opinion I would've used Peavy today and assuming we win we'd have Monday off. Now I'd have to use Peavy on Monday and assuming we win I'd have to use Peavy again in the playoffs but with that one less day of rest.

I know bullpen guys can pitch several days in a row but it seems in the past few days San Diego has been using a lot of their guys. Clay Meredith has pitched 4 days in a row for them. Doug Brocail has pitched 2 games in a row and 3 of the last 4. Heath Bell was off today but before that had appeared in 3 games straight. Justin Germano was a starter for them and got off to a great start but has since seen his ERA go up to 4.45 and he gave up 3 hits, 2 runs (1 was charged to him) in 2 innings pitched. I'm not sure but I really get the feeling that Bud Black is banking on the fact for Peavy to go 7+ strong for him on Monday which is possible but like I said...why not do that today against the Brewers?

Charlie, I'd think the point for SD is the extra day's rest it meant for Peavy. Use him today on less (3 days) rest, and he gets killed (as he was the last time he pitched on 3 days rest), then who goes for them in the 1 game playoff?

BC, good point but like I said their whole gameplanning the past few days has surprised me. Personally I would've started Justin Germano on 9/27 in their first game against Milwaukee...that would've pushed everyone back one day so that Chris Young would've gone today and then Peavy could've gone tomorrow. However, they started Cassel on 9/27 and even though he lasted only 4 innings they did get the win 9-5 so at the time I guess their plan seemed to be working fine. It really seems to me that since Germano got moved to the BP he's been really iffy. Just how I would've played it...but then again, I guess that's why I'm not a MLB manager LOL. HEY, Texas Rangers...I'm available! Only gotta pay me half a million!!

rocks are the play.. always play the team that is hot... and thats what they are... at plus money i will take a shot with them

I've got family in Denver and they're all geeked up about this thing. It is a Broncos' town, but with the Broncos now dropping two straight it's been that much easier to hop on the bandwagon with the Rockies.

I think that is going to be one loud town tomorrow night, I'm the furthest thing from a baseball guy you're going to get, but I'll take a small shot on the home dog.

They're like 13-1 in their last 14 games and when they did lose the next night they came back and put up double digits if I'm not mistaken, tough to go against that.

Everyone is all over the Rockies but I think even the weak SD bats can get to Fogg.....don't let his last start against the Dodgers mislead you....he pitched a good game but the Dodgers had a minor league lineup out there.....tough to go against Peavy here and I'm cheerin for the Rockies cuz i wanna see some playoff ball at Coors so im just gonna layoff and enjoy the game glta

i'll be pulling hard for the Rockies...but it's hard to go against Peavy, backed up by a better pen.
that said...besides the pitching matchup...seems that the Rockies got all the momentum. with home field, that might jsut be enough.

Well I analyzed this one and I can't find a reason to back SD. The fundamentals are on the home dog here. The Rocks are hot and a DOG. Weaker pitcher, sure. Weaker pen, definitely. But these bats can compensate for that. The momentum they're riding right now is just a must take in my eyes.

6 units on the Rocks.

I can't find a reason to back SD.

Comon, Satyr - you couldnt find one?

Here it is: Fogg's boxscore in a home start vs an SD ace from this season

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" bgColor=black border=0><TBODY><TR style="FONT-SIZE: xx-small; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white"><TD align=middle></TD><TD>Colorado</TD><TD align=middle>v</TD><TD>San Diego</TD><TD align=middle>1-11</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle>Lost </TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=right>ERA 21.00</TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right>Inns 3.0</TD><TD align=right>ER 7</TD><TD align=right>H 11</TD><TD align=right>BB 3</TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

Comon, Satyr - you couldnt find one?

Here it is: Fogg's boxscore in a home start vs an SD ace from this season

<TABLE cellSpacing=1 cellPadding=1 width="100%" bgColor=black border=0><TBODY><TR style="FONT-SIZE: xx-small; FONT-FAMILY: Verdana; BACKGROUND-COLOR: white"><TD align=middle></TD><TD>Colorado</TD><TD align=middle>v</TD><TD>San Diego</TD><TD align=middle>1-11</TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=middle>Lost </TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=middle></TD><TD align=right>ERA 21.00</TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right>Inns 3.0</TD><TD align=right>ER 7</TD><TD align=right>H 11</TD><TD align=right>BB 3</TD><TD align=right></TD><TD align=right></TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

BC, read more carefully. I didn't say I couldn't find a reason in favor of the Padres, I said I couldn't find a reason to BACK the Padres, meaning INVEST on them at this price. Sure there are several, some even fundamental, reasons to favor SD, but those are already embedded into the line. I'm looking for an edge. And that edge is (in my opinion), backing the hot team at home against inferior offense.

Whether this works out or not, we'll see. It's not like I'm betting 100 units on it so my life is on the line. It's going to be a classical play, and as I said, I can't see beyond the tempting odds on the Rocks here.

GL. :shake:

Dont know if this is relevant...

Monday's tiebreaker game between the San Diego Padres and the Colorado Rockies to determine the NL wild-card team will be the seventh one-game playoff in major league history. Here are the other six:

1999: Mets 5, Reds 0

The New York Mets swept a three-game series from the Pirates at home, including a win in the final game of the season on a wild pitch. Later that night, the Cincinnati Reds -- needing a win to force a one-game playoff for the NL wild card -- and the Milwaukee Brewers waited through a rain delay of five hours and 42 minutes at the start. When the game finally began, the Reds won 7-1 to force the playoff the next night (the game was originally scheduled for the afternoon, but was pushed back to give the Reds time to get home). However, Al Leiter pitched a shutout as the Mets won 5-0 and advanced to the NLDS, in which they defeated the Arizona Diamondbacks thanks in part to Todd Pratt's walk-off homer in Game 4.

1998: Cubs 5, Giants 3

The Chicago Cubs could have made the playoffs as the NL wild-card team, but they lost their last game of the season. Needing the San Francisco Giants to lose as well to force a one-game playoff for the wild card, the Cubs' season was saved when Colorado's Neifi Perez hit a walk-off home run to beat the Giants later that night. In the one-game playoff, the Cubs jumped out to a 5-0 lead, but the Giants scored three runs in the top of the ninth inning. The late Rod Beck got Joe Carter, the potential tying run, to foul out to win the game.

1995: Mariners 9, Angels 1

The Seattle Mariners trailed the Angels by 13 games in the AL West, but rallied to take the lead late in the season. The Angels, however, won their final five games and the Mariners lost their last two to force a one-game playoff. That game featured Randy Johnson and Mark Langston as starters, two pitchers who were traded for each other years earlier. The Mariners won the game behind Johnson and Luis Sojo's three-run double with the bases loaded, which "everyone scored" on (a famous call by then play-by-play announcer Rick Rizzs), to win their first AL West title. Here's Rizzs' play-by-play transcription of the play that turned a 1-0 lead for the Mariners into a 5-0 advantage: "Here's the pitch. Swing, and it's a ground ball, and it gets on by Snow. Down the right-field line into the bullpen. Here comes Blowers. Here comes Tino. Here comes Joey. The throw to the plate is cut off. The relay by Langston gets by Allanson. Cora scores! Here comes Sojo, he scores! Everybody scores! Sojo comes in!"

1980: Astros 7, Dodgers 1

Since divisional play began in 1969, there has been only one one-game playoff to settle a division tie in the National League. The Astros, who had a three-game lead over Los Angeles, were forced into the one-game playoff after they were swept by the Dodgers in a season-ending three-game series. The Astros won on the road, defeating the Dodgers behind Joe Niekro, who pitched a complete game to win his 20th of the season.

1978: Yankees 5, Red Sox 4

The Yankees rallied from a 14-game division deficit to take the lead by one game heading into the final day of the regular season. The Yankees lost their last game 9-2 against the Indians, and the Red Sox won 5-0 at home against the Blue Jays to force the one-game playoff. The Yankees won the game behind Bucky Dent's famous home run and, later, Reggie Jackson's rather-forgotten solo home run in the eighth, to win their third straight AL East title.

1948: Indians 8, Red Sox 3

The Cleveland Indians ended up in a first-place tie with the Boston Red Sox, leading to the first-ever one-game playoff in the AL. The Indians won 8-3. If the Red Sox had won, that would have been the first-ever all-Boston World Series; the Boston Braves made it to the Fall Classic from the National League.

Back