Mock #1 (Let me know what you think)

frankiegotti

Power Boat Enthusiast
This Draft is assuming that cleveland and minnesota swap spots and cleveland wins the coin toss.

1. Oakland Raiders-Jamarcus Russel QB LSU
2. Detroit Lions- Joe Thomas OT Wisconsin
3. Minnesota Vikings- Brady Quinn QB Notre Dame
4. Tampa Bay Buccaneers-Calvin Johnson WR Georgia Tech
5. Arizona Cardinals- Reggie Nelson S Florida
6. Washington Redskins- Gaines Adams DE Clemson
7. Cleveland Browns- Alan Branch NT Michigan
8. Houston Texans- Adrian Peterson RB Oklahoma
9. Miami Dolphins- Darrelle Revis CB Pitt
10. Atlanta Falcons- Jamal Anderson DE Arkansas
11. San Francisco 49ers- Dwayne Jarrett WR USC
12. Buffalo Bills- Leon Hall CB Michigan
13. St. Louis Rams- Amobi Okoye DT Louisville
14. Carolina Panthers- Laron Landry
15. Pittsburgh Steelers- Patrick Willis LB Ole Miss
16. Green Bay Packers- Marshawn Lynch RB California
17. Jacksonville Jaguars- Charles Johnson DE Georgia
18. Cincinatti Bengals- Adam Carriker DE Nebraska
19. Tennessee Titans- Ted Ginn Jr. WR Ohio State
20. New York Giants- Lawerence Timmons LB Florida State
21. Denver Broncos- Quentin Moses DE Georgia
22. Dallas Cowboys- Levi Brown OT Penn State
23. Kansas City Chiefs- Demarcus Tyler DT North Carolina State
24. New England Patriots- Paul Posluszny LB Penn State
25. New York Jets- Michael Griffin S Texas
26. Philadelphia Eagles- Kenny Irons RB Auburn
27. New Orleans Saints- Buster Davis LB Florida State
28. New England Patiots- David Bowe WR LSU
29. Baltimore Ravens- Troy Smith QB Ohio State
30. San Diego Chargers- Robert Meachem WR Tennessee
31. Indianapolis Colts- Brandon Siler LB Florida
32. Chicago Bears- Joe Staley OT Central Michigan

The writeups are comming tommorw as i have to study accounting now:down:

Not bad, i'll prolly post one closer to march.....but not a bad start here............Lnych gonna drop now that hes being accused of sexual assault or something like that...

I don't know enough about the draft, etc. to predict an outcome, but two things jump out at me here.

One is that I've yet to see Reggie Nelson projected anywhere near that high. I've seen him in the late teens. My personal hope is that he could somehow fall to Philly to eventually take over for Brian Dawkins, but I don't think that's going to happen.

Two, there's a lot of love in the Browns organization for Adrian Peterson. If he's there when the Browns pick (at three or four) I would be surprised if they don't take him. I don't mind them trading down, I'd love to see them get more picks and fill multiple holes. Actually, if they really want a new RB, I wouldn't mind them trading down for a couple of picks and taking Kenny Irons.

I think Lions trade down a few spots..take Calvin Johnson and with extra first round pick in tarde nab one Ted Ginn Jr.

;)

No way browns pass on peterson...esp if he is there at 7..they are talking about taking him at 3

No way browns pass on peterson...esp if he is there at 7..they are talking about taking him at 3

Savage built ravens from the ground up and that begins in the trenches, they need draft picks to build up there trenches. AP i think is overrated and he also has durability issues, he needs to be a 4.45 at the combine or lower at least consideration. I don't think browns take him in that spot.

Savage built ravens from the ground up and that begins in the trenches, they need draft picks to build up there trenches. AP i think is overrated and he also has durability issues, he needs to be a 4.45 at the combine or lower at least consideration. I don't think browns take him in that spot.

Honestly I hope you are right..But everything Ive heard leans to him or Thomas.

Jamarcus Russell- Al Davis's type of player tall and large with a cannon of a arm. Satisfies major problems at this position for years to come. Russell has great insticts coming out of a very tough defensive division in the college ranks and his character is not in question as he has his head on straight.

Detroit Lions - Joe Thomas, Matt Millen is starting to realize that teams are built in the trenches and not from skill players. He may be good with the pistons but with the Lions no way. Joe Thomas is a mammoth of a OT he has great footwork and does not get pushed around too much at 6-8 335. Another attribute is he is great at run and pass blocking.

Minnesota Vikings - Amazingly the vikings get their pick up there before other teams begin picking LOL. No but seriously they take brady quinn hands down because they have built up probally one of the best offensive lines in the league and most are in their prime right now. So he is the most pro ready QB in the draft. He has decent size but his intelligence is a definate factor because of his failure to account for safties moving around which is a big deal because in the NFL everything is faster.

Tampa Bay Buccaneers- Calvin Johnson- This is almost a no brainer as it gets because they need a wide out to replace aging Joey Galloway. To the Bucs convienence they have the best player in the draft in there laps. A 6-4 220 guy that has sub 4.5 speed along with a 38" vertical.

Arizona Cardinals- Reggie Nelson- I know some of you guys are going to hang me for this one. But i feel he is the best DB in the draft and will show it at the combine. A major need for arizona is served here as they have had one of the worst pass defenses last year. Wiht the signing of Ken Whisenhunt as head coach and offensive coordinator everyone thinks offense here not me as they have found there troy polamalu here.

Washington Redskins- Gaines Adams- He is greatly on this defense that had failied to get much pressure on opposing quarterbacks. They rated 26th on QB hurries and sacks which is somethign that much be fixed with the talented secondary they have.

Cleveland Browns- Alan Branch- Everyone is saying adrian peterson, but it think phil will start building this team like the ravens. Alan is huge and can fill a major hole on this team. Ted washington didn't have a big a effect as some had planned on. He is a solution for years to come as he will demand 2 blockers and allow line backers to fill gaps much more successfully.

Houston Texans- Adrian Peterson- Are they dreaming?? They need a solid back for years to come and this creates a 1-2 punch for years to come. AP is a tall back that has great shiftiness both in direction and changing speeds. His durabillity is in question.

Miami Dolphins- Darelle Revis- As corners getting much older on this team Darrelle gives then a very fast cover corner that they have been needing in this system for years. He did well at pitt (but who do they really play) and he is a physical player which Cam Cameron would really like to have on his staff.

Atlanta Falcons- Jamal Anderson- This is a rotator pick for their front 4, he can rotate and always have fresh lines as this division is quickly becomming run heavy with the frequency of RB's running on the 1000yds range. He is a very atheltic player with great potiential and dosen't get pushed around much even against the upper echelon OT in the collgiate ranks.

More comming later on, gotta do this studying thing.

COLLEGE IS OVERRATED

Sorry just had to vent.

Problem is, Savage has had a chance to build in the trenches and he hasn't done it. He's brought in skill players. Now, maybe this is the year he changes. Maybe he dedicates the draft to the lines, but to this point he hasn't.

Also, the chances of the Browns drafting Thomas if Peterson is there are slim--at least from everything I've read out of Cleveland.

No way Troy Smith goes in the first round..

he is more of a potiential player that will go in the first round. I don't think he should either but there is always one of those teams that leaves you with saying "what were they thinking"?

Last edited:
Problem is, Savage has had a chance to build in the trenches and he hasn't done it. He's brought in skill players. Now, maybe this is the year he changes. Maybe he dedicates the draft to the lines, but to this point he hasn't.

Also, the chances of the Browns drafting Thomas if Peterson is there are slim--at least from everything I've read out of Cleveland.

I assume you live in cleveland if you get the cleveland papers? That dosen't sway me just because last year savage kept ranting and raving of how good Haloti Ngata was and that he was their guy if he was there and the browns ended up getting another pick because of savages games. Which was brilliant on his part I might add. So I think they go for the trenches in the first 2 rounds.

San Fransisco 49ers- Dwayne Jarrett This is a great spot for a wide reciever for this very young 49er team. They need someone to help A. Smith along, they took V. Davis last year and they have antonio Byrant but how reliable is he, with getting arrested. Dwayne Jarrett is a standout reciever and a chalk full of talent at USC. Very good hands and runs outstanding routes. May of been #1 reciever overall if there wasn't a man child named Calvin Johnson.

Buffalo Bills- Leon Hall. They go CB right here because they have the horses upfront and they are threatened in losing Nate Clements in FA. Along with that opposing offenses have been able to torch the Bills for large chunks of yards. Leon Hall is a great corner with good speed and average instincts. Played a large part in michigan's defense.

St. Louis Rams- Amobi Okoye St. Louis has had problems for years on getting pressure on the quarterback. They select someone who is very bright, quick, and has great hands. The only problem with him is that he only weighs 287. With the rams playing the 4-3 a NT can be undersized. He Amassed some amazing numbers at Louisville and will be a great asset to any NFL team. Any possibility here is to go to Atlanta and be reunited with his former coach.

Carolina Panthers- Laron Landry, This pick isn't as much as a player of need but rather a great player slipping due to other teams needs. Landry has it all great insticts, speeds, size, tackling. He has it all. Will be a great addition to a already good panther secondary.

Pittsburgh Steelers- Patrick Willis. With Joey Porter wanting a new contract before the year starts last year and saying he is playing only because cowher is comming back. So now that cowher retired i expect Joey Porter to make some waves for the front office. That is where Willis fits in as a great linebacker. Pittsburgh runs a system where having many interchangable linebackers is key to them getting good pressure on the opposing offense. Willis was a animal at Ole miss and will produce numbers in Pittsburgh.

Green Bay Packers- Marshawn Lynch With Ahman Green having every injury known to man except for a MCL tear he is getting near his end. Green Bay is needing a long term running back to fill in behind their young offensive line. They are clearly building a team for the future and this is a peice they cannot miss out on. He was a great back at Cal and broke records there. He has shifty speed with great blocking ability with is a must for 54 year old brett favre.

Jacksonville Jaguars- Charles Johnson The Jags are going to have the best front 4 in the league this upcomming year. There really is no one to take that satifies there needs. I think C.J. is that guy because he is involved with 3 different volunteer organizations around Georgia's university. Was a animal this last year at Georgia and will fit ideally in a 4-3 system where he dosen'thave to go into 2 blockers. He was successful at georgia because Moses almost always took the double team. He will need the same kind of situation for the same kind of success.

Cincinatti Bengals- Adam Carrikker This is a safe pick for them because he hasn't been arrested yet. He is a very good player with a good head on his shoulders. He showed what he could do at Position drills in the senior bowl. He is a big body and would substantially help out cincy's defense in getting to the quarterback.

Tennessee Titans- Ten Ginn Jr. Almost a no brainer as you can get. They have the centerpeice of there organization in Vince Young. Now they need to get weapons to put around him. If TG was a car he'd be a Lambroghini. He runs a 4.2 40. Word around the OSU campus is that he is trying to register a sub 4.2 40. He has above average hands, but he carries the ball like a loaf a bread at times.

New York Giants- Lawerence Timmons Giants need good linebackers because of all the problems they have had with tackling and finnishing out games this year. L.T. has done well at FSU sworming to the ball and being a ball hawk as well as great tackling technique which is something that is a must for a player for this organization

as a Raider fan im not sold on Russell and I hope AL Davis isnt sold on him.

I think the 2 best player in the draft are
1. Calvin Johnson
2. Adrian peterson

Not sure if peterson will be great in the nfl

Ill have my top 5 in a lil bit so stay tuned throw ;)

I assume you live in cleveland if you get the cleveland papers?

I don't, but they're available online.

You're right, Savage was all about Ngata until he found out he could flip with the Ravens. I think it was a great move as well from the standpoint of getting a free pick for dropping a spot, and it did work out for both teams. Though I think it could be argued both ways as to whether the Browns could have used an NT more than and end.

The problem as you're starting to get to really is that you can't believe anything these guys say about the draft. They all lie and it's accepted because everybody knows it and everybody does it. So who knows what they'll really do.

I will say, however, that I believe the talk about them really liking Peterson as I was hearing that going back into the season given their frustration with Ruben. And I believe Savage's love for Jamarcus Russell is accurate given how long he's tracked the guy's career.

Then, of course, the Browns have the other problem of guys like Troy Smith starting to openly lobby for the Browns to draft him. Ginn too. Like the Browns don't have enough problems without looking like they're ignoring hometown heroes--especially if they end up with more stiffs. Though I do like Savage's eye for talent.

I assume you live in cleveland if you get the cleveland papers?

I don't, but they're available online.

You're right, Savage was all about Ngata until he found out he could flip with the Ravens. I think it was a great move as well from the standpoint of getting a free pick for dropping a spot, and it did work out for both teams. Though I think it could be argued both ways as to whether the Browns could have used an NT more than and end.

The problem as you're starting to get to really is that you can't believe anything these guys say about the draft. They all lie and it's accepted because everybody knows it and everybody does it. So who knows what they'll really do.

I will say, however, that I believe the talk about them really liking Peterson as I was hearing that going back into the season given their frustration with Ruben. And I believe Savage's love for Jamarcus Russell is accurate given how long he's tracked the guy's career.

Then, of course, the Browns have the other problem of guys like Troy Smith starting to openly lobby for the Browns to draft him. Ginn too. Like the Browns don't have enough problems without looking like they're ignoring hometown heroes--especially if they end up with more stiffs. Though I do like Savage's eye for talent.

I was not that impressed with AP during his bowl game. I was not that impressed with him during the season. Here is why. He had a decent rushing career against opponenets with below average defenses and great offenses. The big 12 in my opinion in chalk full of offensive players and not enough good defenses. I really would of liked AP to play in the senior bowl because it would prove me wrong or right as his success against other players with good speed and size at all positions.

Although, i know Crennel is on the choping block as far as coaches go. He will be in the last year of his contract this year. Therefore, he must show some kind of progress, so therefore AP is still a strong possibility becasue it will enable AP to have a immediate effect whether positive or negative. If they do go that route they must do something in later rounds with offensive line and defensive lines becasue that is where games are ultimatley won and lost.

Pittsburgh has been doing it for years and that is why they are so competitive in my belief anyways.

Take care, good conversation.

Not sure if peterson will be great in the nfl

Ill have my top 5 in a lil bit so stay tuned throw ;)
\

Right now as it looks it appears as AP dosen't have above average games against above average defenses. I don't think he will impress in the NFL as most will think, but stay tuned lets see how he does at the combine with his bench press and agility excersizes.

What is the basis for a Cleveland/Minnesota trade? I've heard absolutely no rumors around here regarding this.

Yeah, Frankie, you and I are on the same page with AP. The collarbone thing doesn't bug me, but the other little injuries do because it becomes a sum-total thing where he ends up simply missing time. I like him, but don't' love him--which sort of means nothing because I never know which college RB is going to explode in the NFL, other than Shaun Alexander who I'm not even sure why I was right about.

I heard Kenny Irons on the radio the other day and he talked up AP a lot so who knows, maybe he's got it, maybe he doesn't.

And the Romeo point is a good one, because everybody knows if he doesn't get it done this year he's done. So the question then becomes, does Savage help him out with a big play guy early in the draft, or does Savage focus on the big picture?

Anyway, we shall see. Thanks to you, too, for the discussion, I'm out of town for a few days so enjoy all the non-Browns related topics. You know, if that's possible.

=)

Yeah, Frankie, you and I are on the same page with AP. The collarbone thing doesn't bug me, but the other little injuries do because it becomes a sum-total thing where he ends up simply missing time. I like him, but don't' love him--which sort of means nothing because I never know which college RB is going to explode in the NFL, other than Shaun Alexander who I'm not even sure why I was right about.

I heard Kenny Irons on the radio the other day and he talked up AP a lot so who knows, maybe he's got it, maybe he doesn't.

And the Romeo point is a good one, because everybody knows if he doesn't get it done this year he's done. So the question then becomes, does Savage help him out with a big play guy early in the draft, or does Savage focus on the big picture?

Anyway, we shall see. Thanks to you, too, for the discussion, I'm out of town for a few days so enjoy all the non-Browns related topics. You know, if that's possible.

=)

LOL, i am a cleveland fan at heart. I grew up 3 block from T. Smith over on East 116th. I live in pittsburgh now going to school.

What is the basis for a Cleveland/Minnesota trade? I've heard absolutely no rumors around here regarding this.

Gm and Childress have said that they don't have their Long term guy going forward at the QB position. I think they will trade because minnesota needs to start grooming their long term guy asap.

Gm and Childress have said that they don't have their Long term guy going forward at the QB position. I think they will trade because minnesota needs to start grooming their long term guy asap.

That's good info, I hadn't heard that. If that's the case I'd love to see Cleveland rip them for more picks. I also reallly want to see them give Frye a chance so them trading down and avoiding the QB issue doesn't bug me.

Oh, and if you're in Pittsburgh right now, please stop by Primanti's and give them my love. You can do the same to The O as well, but there's a spot in my heart for Primaniti's in the Strip District. It may be cholesterol, but it's a spot nonetheless.

That's good info, I hadn't heard that. If that's the case I'd love to see Cleveland rip them for more picks. I also reallly want to see them give Frye a chance so them trading down and avoiding the QB issue doesn't bug me.

Oh, and if you're in Pittsburgh right now, please stop by Primanti's and give them my love. You can do the same to The O as well, but there's a spot in my heart for Primaniti's in the Strip District. It may be cholesterol, but it's a spot nonetheless.

Pirmanti's is a very good resturant. I don't know many places that will get business liek they do but still have teh service that they have. Yea if cleveland trades with minny then they should get another 2nd and possibly a 4th.

Another scenario that i have heard about but i think this is a bigger longshot than the first two i have listed is Carolina trading spots with cleveland. They have their eyes set on brady quinn. But they would have to give the browns 2nd and 3rd round picks for this year and next for the deal to happen and carolina won't want to give that up.

I'd take that Carolina deal, too. Right now the Browns need as much talent as humanly possible. It's sort of why I really wouldn't look down on them if they stayed where they are and drafted Calvin Johnson. I know they have WRs, but you know what, this team is so bereft of talent, just bring 'em all in sort it out in camp and if you have to trade away some guys for picks or more bodies, well, I'd rather have that problem then trying to pull guys off the street to see if they can start at left guard.

I'd take that Carolina deal, too. Right now the Browns need as much talent as humanly possible. It's sort of why I really wouldn't look down on them if they stayed where they are and drafted Calvin Johnson. I know they have WRs, but you know what, this team is so bereft of talent, just bring 'em all in sort it out in camp and if you have to trade away some guys for picks or more bodies, well, I'd rather have that problem then trying to pull guys off the street to see if they can start at left guard.

Yes, i agree with you and I wonder what New England would give up to get calvin johnson, i don't know why i even said that, belicheck would not like to take him because of what he would command in terms of salary.

Espn just showed that what a browns trade with the panthers would warrant (they did a top 5 but i just added the browns scenario in there. They would give us Kris Jenkins NT and Chris Gamble CB along with their 2nd round pick and a 5th.

I would like to see the Lion's trade down and get more picks because they have alot of needs.

Lions do need a lot, but i think there offensive line is more of a pressing need because of the way their offense is set up. If they could get a offensive lineman to help out their running game a little bit more maybe average .8 to 1.5 more for yards per carry then there passing game would be functional for teh time being. Plus the lions play in a weak division with the exceptoin to the chicago bears (which are a beast). They could be very competitive. ANother option for the Lions is to draft a QB for teh future. This would imply that Detroit would be another top 5 pick next year because they have major issues to address at both offense and defensive lines.

They could grab a good linebacker to shore up middle linebacker and give some sort of depth to their linebacking core they have. Their MLB Lennon is going on 31 and they don't have to have someone new in there this year but if someone is on the board in the 2 or 3 round they really need to grab them. Some more quality defensive lineman would be a good addition as they really need to get some pressure on opposing QB's.

NO.....The Raiders are pretty much lokced in there from what I hear...They desperately need QB and WR help, and luckilly for them this draft has top stars at both..

NO, also because Savage is not going to be giving up picks to move up. He's definitely interested in moving down if there's value, but there's no need to jump to the top when they'd be more than happy with Thomas, Quinn, Branch, or Peterson.

NO.....The Raiders are pretty much lokced in there from what I hear...They desperately need QB and WR help, and luckilly for them this draft has top stars at both..

Well i heard a while back that the browns were tempeted to trade with the raiders if they get the #3 pick :shake:

would The Browns trade with the raiders for the 1st pick ?

Good question, i have heard that a lot. The answer is not likely because both teams have enormous holes to fill at trench positions and skill positions so while that would be a great move for the raiders the browns would lose out enormously on that swap. From what i have heard (of course these are probally just rumors and as you all know rumors during the draft are as official as political statements made by presidential campaigns) the raiders have their guy in russell or johnson pending the combine and ease of contract negotiation.

I believe that the raiders get there quarterback here but calvin johnson is also a viable option.

As a Skins fan, I'm going to gripe with your mock, but only mildly. If the Skins stay in place (and you will drive yourself nuts trying to predict any trade downs), I think that they will probably take the DT, Alan Branch, over the DE, Adams. I just think that they need a DT that much more-Andre Carter actually played a pretty good DE for them the last half of the season, and IF he can be healthy, Phillip Daniels can be passable.

Rumor is that the Iggles might cut Darren Howard so there is always that option at DE, too. At DT, though, they got killed-Joe Salavea's renaissance ended, and Cornelius Griffin struggled all year with injuries and just a general lack of production...I really think Branch is the pick if he's available...if he's not, maybe they even trade down for Amobi Okoye..

As a Skins fan, I'm going to gripe with your mock, but only mildly. If the Skins stay in place (and you will drive yourself nuts trying to predict any trade downs), I think that they will probably take the DT, Alan Branch, over the DE, Adams. I just think that they need a DT that much more-Andre Carter actually played a pretty good DE for them the last half of the season, and IF he can be healthy, Phillip Daniels can be passable.

Rumor is that the Iggles might cut Darren Howard so there is always that option at DE, too. At DT, though, they got killed-Joe Salavea's renaissance ended, and Cornelius Griffin struggled all year with injuries and just a general lack of production...I really think Branch is the pick if he's available...if he's not, maybe they even trade down for Amobi Okoye..

I tend to agree with you somewhat. Here is why i differ. The redskins defense more so than most NFL teams is all about pressure on the opposing quarterback. When the DE do not get pressure on the opposing QB's that reaks havic on the secondary players because they have a system set up where they are only on great position for about 4 seconds, when that happens there are all kinds of seems for opposing QB's.

Also, I think that there are some good prospects for DT in free agency, i am not sure the redskins situation for salary cap space, so that is also an option.

Like you said, a trade down and obtaining Amobi Okoye may be there best option because they would get some more draft picks as well.

Back