ML Dogs Week 9 Edition

UNLV could be live, have only lost by one score against everyone outside the two power 5 games, they just find ways to lose

i really like them with the points, i dont think they will win but certainly wouldnt shock me either, nevada been kinda disappointing, they really had no business covering vs hawaii a few weeks back at home.

Reactions: KJ
ECU is just very hard to trust. Like you worried about UH's pass rush last week, which was a real concern, but not just because of what Houston can do, but because of how much pressure and negative plays ECU allows. And they still turn it over a ton. Thankfully for them, their D is getting turnovers this year so they are actually positive ratio, but their TOs lost ranks among the bottom 1/3 of FBS teams.

We probably all need to brush up on USF. I was not involved in the Temple game, but yes did notice their improved play beginning 2nd H at BYU, which maybe could be a fluke 2nd H after BYU was up comfortably. OK. Then they played better than final vs SMU. SMU flat off TCU Iron Skillet game? OK maybe we can explain that away too. Then they nearly beat Tulsa with D and ST TD...Tulsa outgained them pretty good, so explain that one away too? At some point they are just playing better and kind of believing in what they are doing. Nice for them they got a pay off beating Temple. I didn't watch. So now we are all expecting them to compete. Hopefully for us they will. ECU did blow Tulane out, so there is danger.

ecu was 7 point dogs to tulane i believe, i dont know past years numbers off top my head but i wanna say they dont typically perform well as a fav, love them as dogs (even tho i couldnt pull trigger vs houston cause what you mentioned). the only game i see they were favs this year was laying 23 to charleston south and they barely escaped that gm!! they were pretty much in control but cs came storming back in 4th to get it within a fg..

damn,, nebraska back to laying more than they probably should be! 7.5 to purdue? are there injuries or something? at some point dont we have to stop giving corn credit for moral victories in losses? they have beat NW and buffalo this year, that is it!! huskers been bad in the red zone and purdue d has been fantastic keeping teams out the endzone, that pretty big when we talking bout getting over a td. i really dont see why this game wont be close, if that the case there has to be some value on this ml..

ecu was 7 point dogs to tulane i believe, i dont know past years numbers off top my head but i wanna say they dont typically perform well as a fav, love them as dogs (even tho i couldnt pull trigger vs houston cause what you mentioned). the only game i see they were favs this year was laying 23 to charleston south and they barely escaped that gm!! they were pretty much in control but cs came storming back in 4th to get it within a fg..

Very rare for ECU to be favored. They were 3/4 pt dog vs Tulane. I looked earlier, I think Under Houston as coach they have only been favored 4x and 3 of those were vs FCS. One pick'em vs Georgia State, ECU could;ve been favored there in some books and they got blown out.

ECU D is better this year. Feel like O is the same. Ahlers is up and down. He reminds me of a guy like Martinez at Nebraska. Can put up yards and numbers and good at times, but then critical break downs at the wrong at times too.

damn,, nebraska back to laying more than they probably should be! 7.5 to purdue? are there injuries or something? at some point dont we have to stop giving corn credit for moral victories in losses? they have beat NW and buffalo this year, that is it!! huskers been bad in the red zone and purdue d has been fantastic keeping teams out the endzone, that pretty big when we talking bout getting over a td. i really dont see why this game wont be close, if that the case there has to be some value on this ml..

Could be partially Nebraska getting more respect than they deserve and Purdue continually not getting enough.

Using the Wisconsin 3.5 road fav line and flip that to Madison implies something like Purdue +12.

What would Wisconsin be favored by over Nebraska?

Very rare for ECU to be favored. They were 3/4 pt dog vs Tulane. I looked earlier, I think Under Houston as coach they have only been favored 4x and 3 of those were vs FCS. One pick'em vs Georgia State, ECU could;ve been favored there in some books and they got blown out.

ECU D is better this year. Feel like O is the same. Ahlers is up and down. He reminds me of a guy like Martinez at Nebraska. Can put up yards and numbers and good at times, but then critical break downs at the wrong at times too.

That is a pretty good comp, he obviously not the threat w his legs that Martinez is. The d def has kept them in some games but I do think usf might be able to do some damage with the run game.

Could be partially Nebraska getting more respect than they deserve and Purdue continually not getting enough.

Using the Wisconsin 3.5 road fav line and flip that to Madison implies something like Purdue +12.

What would Wisconsin be favored by over Nebraska?

Wiscy lines continue to baffle me so I don’t even want to guess, I can’t believe they favored over iowa this week.

Wiscy lines continue to baffle me so I don’t even want to guess, I can’t believe they favored over iowa this week.
Both teams get 4 for home field for me so that means implied UI -1 neutral and -5 at Kinnick which seems a tad light

But Wisky was better than expected last week thumping Boilers on the road

Both teams get 4 for home field for me so that means implied UI -1 neutral and -5 at Kinnick which seems a tad light

But Wisky was better than expected last week thumping Boilers on the road

I didn’t have any interest in Purdue last week, kinda figured that might be coming so didn’t think much of that line. Iowa a tough team to line which I think can sometimes make them a easy team to bet or fade. They might be x amount of points better than a team but If they put the number there it likely iowa not going to cover. But whenever they go the other direction we get things like iowa-3 at Maryland or dogs here to a team I think they roll.

I didn’t have any interest in Purdue last week, kinda figured that might be coming so didn’t think much of that line. Iowa a tough team to line which I think can sometimes make them a easy team to bet or fade. They might be x amount of points better than a team but If they put the number there it likely iowa not going to cover. But whenever they go the other direction we get things like iowa-3 at Maryland or dogs here to a team I think they roll.
Yeah I should just add while it's at 3. If Wisky didn't win by 17 last week I doubt we get a full FG here

Yeah I should just add while it's at 3. If Wisky didn't win by 17 last week I doubt we get a full FG here

Metz threw for 52 yards last week, lol. Why in gods name would anyone let wiscy beat them on the ground? Ya gotta think iowa will be able to control the wiscy run game. Then what? I hope they allow Mertz to pass cause if so this be over fast. I guess where getting the 3 is nice is wiscy could just refuse fo throw then that 36 total not even low enough!

Hopefully iowa comes out letting Petras throw on early downs, get some points on the board and Force wiscy hand.

Metz threw for 52 yards last week, lol. Why in gods name would anyone let wiscy beat them on the ground? Ya gotta think iowa will be able to control the wiscy run game. Then what? I hope they allow Mertz to pass cause if so this be over fast. I guess where getting the 3 is nice is wiscy could just refuse fo throw then that 36 total not even low enough!

Hopefully iowa comes out letting Petras throw on early downs, get some points on the board and Force wiscy hand.
Just posted the +3 and ML

Purdue D not equipped to stop running QBs. Physical games v. Iowa and Wisconsin take a toll on the D.

Miami has won 5 out of last 6 vs. Pitt....Pitt possibly in a letdown situation coming off the Clemson win perhaps? Miami has played UVA and UNC very close in their losses...prolly should've won vs. UVA. Won last week vs. NCST of course.

:popcorn:

Looks like Bowling Green's upset days may be over for the 2021 season perhaps? They're defense has given up 10-10-27-35-34-55 points in their last 6 games which indicates they're wearing out on that side of the ball. OTOH they really played bad for most of the home game vs. Ohio after their last road trip. This is another home game off a road trip.

What's Vandy's chances vs. Mizzou? A tiny comparison is Mizzou won by 13 over North Texas at home. Vandy actually ranks higher in Sagarin ratings at 143 and North Texas is at 149. I'm seeing like +500 ML odds for Vandy. There is no doubt Mizzou's defense blows and I think Vandy is going to have a shot on the offensive side of the ball. Defensively their going to have to have some help from Mizzou's offense to hang in there.....still if Vandy can get some stops defensively then this game might be interesting. Mizzou has had a bye week tho......but they gave up 35 pts at home to N. TX.....

Duke 4-0 ATS at home and off a bye week. Still not sure their D can hang the entire game vs. the WF O but a 1st half play I can see them winning.

Duke 4-0 ATS at home and off a bye week. Still not sure their D can hang the entire game vs. the WF O but a 1st half play I can see them winning.

Good angle. Sometimes, myself including, think that the bye week can fix more than it really can. But there is benefit in it for prep and player recovery. Compare that to the track meet that WF just played, not that I think they will be physically exhausted, but off of that kind of back-and-forth game I tend to think with so much coming easy for them last week, the Duke D actually stands a chance to make some plays. Nothing will be as easy as Wake had it last week, it's like they were playing vs air! And the WF D continues to instill zero confidence...off the Syracuse game and now Army, WF D looking really really bad. Duke has plenty of things not to like (RZ O tops my list), but also has some things to like such as high completion % 69.4 (2nd best in ACC), 46.7% 3rd down conv rate (4th best ACC) and of course they can run the heck out of the ball (Mataeo).

The Navy D really hasn't been that bad this year after the Marshall game week 1.

AF 23 pts, they avg 29. 225y, they average 395
Houston 28 pts, they avg 36. 384y, they avg 363
UCF 30 pts, they avg 32. 326y, they avg 419
SMU 31 pts, they avg 43. 404y, they avg 525
Memphis 35pts, they avg 32. 415y, they avg 462
Cincinnati 27 pts, they avg 41. 271y, they avg 420

Holding Cincy 14 pts below their avg and 150y below is really good. Cincy had scored 50+ pts in back to back AAC games! Houston 8 pts below and SMU 12 pts below their average is pretty good. UCF started the Fr QB for first time I believe, but again holding SMU over 100y below their avg and then not really being too bad in the others either right below or over the avg yards I think are good signs that this Navy D not all that bad ,their DC is underrated and his gameplans can be pretty varied and unique week-to-week. I think Navy's D can really play well vs Tulsa.

Tulsa is just a total WTF team. Lose to UC Davis (Davis is good though), almost beat Ok St, play Ohio State tough, then only beat Ark St by 7, get blown the F out vs Houston, less impressive win vs Memphis than final indicates and should've/could've lost to USF. It's like every game one way or the other I say WTF. And not just this year. Last year Tulsa should've lost to ECU as 17pt fav. Only beat Navy 19-6 (Navy wasn't good last year either).

Navy held Tulsa to 19pts when their avg was 27. 296y last year when their avg was 410. In fairness Tulsa D really shut Navy down last year as well (153 TY allowed). Tulsa is allowing a full yard more ypp this year compared to last year.

Navy players reportedly saying after playing Cincy tough, they believe they can beat any team in the country. Good attitude.

“I think it just shows that we can play with anybody. Obviously, they’re the No. 2 team in the nation and we gave them a pretty good run,” Navy sophomore slotback Kai Puailoa-Rojas said. “We just use that confidence going forward that we can play with anybody.”

This is Navy's second time preparing for short week prep with travel after doing it vs Memphis a couple weeks ago.

Navy is just 2-6 in weekday games since joining AAC, however, they are 2-1 on Friday night. Navy is also 4-0 at Tulsa! So there ya go!

Of note, Tulsa QB Davis Brin leads the AAC with 10 INTs (10-10 ratio). One tip of the cap though, Tulsa DL is really good and Jaxon Player is going to be a Problem, capital P.

Can't stop looking at FIU, should be fireworks and I think they can be in it til the end

Can't stop looking at FIU, should be fireworks and I think they can be in it til the end
Stats wise, FIU/WKU over was the most dead-red over i have seen since the 2011 orange bowl between clemson/wvu. That remains my only ever 10* play on the over of 64.5. FIU played keep away, with clock-minded drives and running the ball almost 30x. They may look at marshall differently, but they had a plan to keep the ball away from west ken.

Iowa
Sparty
BC
Purdue
Colo St

Most those on my lean list. Only one that not is BC, I won’t lay it with cuse but luckily I been out on bc for a minute. Just a shame they lost their qb cause Grosel sucks. Teams really don’t even have to respect the pass so it getting really difficult for garwo to find running lanes. Also gotta worry the way Cunningham ran all over them, the cuse kid has a similar game.

The Navy D really hasn't been that bad this year after the Marshall game week 1.

AF 23 pts, they avg 29. 225y, they average 395
Houston 28 pts, they avg 36. 384y, they avg 363
UCF 30 pts, they avg 32. 326y, they avg 419
SMU 31 pts, they avg 43. 404y, they avg 525
Memphis 35pts, they avg 32. 415y, they avg 462
Cincinnati 27 pts, they avg 41. 271y, they avg 420

Holding Cincy 14 pts below their avg and 150y below is really good. Cincy had scored 50+ pts in back to back AAC games! Houston 8 pts below and SMU 12 pts below their average is pretty good. UCF started the Fr QB for first time I believe, but again holding SMU over 100y below their avg and then not really being too bad in the others either right below or over the avg yards I think are good signs that this Navy D not all that bad ,their DC is underrated and his gameplans can be pretty varied and unique week-to-week. I think Navy's D can really play well vs Tulsa.

Tulsa is just a total WTF team. Lose to UC Davis (Davis is good though), almost beat Ok St, play Ohio State tough, then only beat Ark St by 7, get blown the F out vs Houston, less impressive win vs Memphis than final indicates and should've/could've lost to USF. It's like every game one way or the other I say WTF. And not just this year. Last year Tulsa should've lost to ECU as 17pt fav. Only beat Navy 19-6 (Navy wasn't good last year either).

Navy held Tulsa to 19pts when their avg was 27. 296y last year when their avg was 410. In fairness Tulsa D really shut Navy down last year as well (153 TY allowed). Tulsa is allowing a full yard more ypp this year compared to last year.

Navy players reportedly saying after playing Cincy tough, they believe they can beat any team in the country. Good attitude.

This is Navy's second time preparing for short week prep with travel after doing it vs Memphis a couple weeks ago.

Navy is just 2-6 in weekday games since joining AAC, however, they are 2-1 on Friday night. Navy is also 4-0 at Tulsa! So there ya go!

Of note, Tulsa QB Davis Brin leads the AAC with 10 INTs (10-10 ratio). One tip of the cap though, Tulsa DL is really good and Jaxon Player is going to be a Problem, capital P.
Looks like a solid case for the under??

i cant believe they made wiscy favs in this game,, i had no interest in the spot for purdue last week so i got it but this makes no sense. sure iowa was never their rank and yes they woulda lost 2 in a row if clifford didnt get hurt but both these teams could pass the ball,, how is wiscy scoring? i dont believe they will be able to run on iowa any more than iowa will on them., Mertz throwing at that defense? that a disaster waiting to happen, should look exactly like all the games iowa built their resume with. ill take petres throwing on wiscy vs mertz trying to throw on iowa all day every day..
Wisco has faced a tougher schedule and has better yardage stats against that schedule. And Wisco is at home. And Iowa is in a letdown situation, .

Wisco has faced a tougher schedule and has better yardage stats against that schedule. And Wisco is at home. And Iowa is in a letdown situation, .
Wouldn't say off a loss two weeks ago and a bye yet still plenty in contention for the West is a letdown, quite the opposite for me.

Some teams off a loss could go letdown (Coastal for instance) but not here, rivalry game...there will be uber intensity.

Wouldn't say off a loss two weeks ago and a bye yet still plenty in contention for the West is a letdown, quite the opposite for me.

Some teams off a loss could go letdown (Coastal for instance) but not here, rivalry game...there will be uber intensity.
I have 9-74-3 and 9-69-2 angles (going back to 2008) that apply to Iowa off their first loss (plus a couple more parameters). Most letdown angles work just as well in rivalry situations. Unfortunately, I no longer have access to the database and can't look at all the games that make up the record to see whether rivalries (or a week of extra rest) ameliorated the letdown effect.

I have 9-74-3 and 9-69-2 angles (going back to 2008) that apply to Iowa off their first loss (plus a couple more parameters). Most letdown angles work just as well in rivalry situations. Unfortunately, I no longer have access to the database and can't look at all the games that make up the record to see whether rivalries (or a week of extra rest) ameliorated the letdown effect.
Wow that's interesting. I'm not a trends person by any means but those numbers are alarming.

Letdown situation? How so? They had a bye and should be pissed off, they control their destiny still!

You can respect those wiscy stats if you want to. I don’t. Off top my head I don’t think schedules been vastly different but either way don’t matter to me. What I know is neither team gonna be able to run the ball, I’ll take Petrus against wiscy secondary which their weakest unit vs Mertz against one the best secondaries in the country all day every day!

My only concern is wiscy just refuses to throw even if they can’t run, if they content running it 3x and punting this gonna be a big time field position rock fight. In that case I’ll be thrilled having the 3 points! However if iowa can throw a little on early downs and get a lead I think it will steamroll out of control. Maybe I’m off but I’ll pay to see it, wrong team favs imo.

That it would, I'm not much of a totals player though. I like going opposite on high totals and taking runs at Unders. This one is fairly low, 47? I'm not sure what I would do with that. I do think Navy D has a chance to play well vs a sometimes-good, not great Tulsa O - they are no better than what Navy has already played for sure. And I doubt Navy just does what they want vs that DL. My worry is if both teams crack 20 and get into the low 20s then that is getting pretty close.

Letdown situation? How so? They had a bye and should be pissed off, they control their destiny still!

You can respect those wiscy stats if you want to. I don’t. Off top my head I don’t think schedules been vastly different but either way don’t matter to me. What I know is neither team gonna be able to run the ball, I’ll take Petrus against wiscy secondary which their weakest unit vs Mertz against one the best secondaries in the country all day every day!

My only concern is wiscy just refuses to throw even if they can’t run, if they content running it 3x and punting this gonna be a big time field position rock fight. In that case I’ll be thrilled having the 3 points! However if iowa can throw a little on early downs and get a lead I think it will steamroll out of control. Maybe I’m off but I’ll pay to see it, wrong team favs imo.

I don;t think it is a let down with the bye week in between. There is a real thing the unbeaten let down, but like you say with their goals of winning division squarely in front of them vs this also contender, there should not be let down. MW supports his opinion in one of the other threads.

Iowa would not be favored at Wisconsin. Michigan wasn't favored at Wisconsin. Nobody is favored at Wisconsin unless your name is Ohio State.

I don;t think it is a let down with the bye week in between. There is a real thing the unbeaten let down, but like you say with their goals of winning division squarely in front of them vs this also contender, there should not be let down. MW supports his opinion in one of the other threads.

Iowa would not be favored at Wisconsin. Michigan wasn't favored at Wisconsin. Nobody is favored at Wisconsin unless your name is Ohio State.

I get it. I think that decision by the books has clearly been wrong. Wiscy continues getting more respect than even clemson name is getting them! I’m not worried bout previous years, or even early in this season all that much anymore. I gotta cap what they are right now and imo that is iowa being a td or so better than them, even with a healthy HFA id still make iowa -2 or so. I could be wrong, who knows.

Had there not been the bye I’d understand but no way a good coach has a team let down 2 weeks after a loss. Actually think it a jacked up spot as they had 2 weeks to stew about the loss.

I get it. I think that decision by the books has clearly been wrong. Wiscy continues getting more respect than even clemson name is getting them! I’m not worried bout previous years, or even early in this season all that much anymore. I gotta cap what they are right now and imo that is iowa being a td or so better than them, even with a healthy HFA id still make iowa -2 or so. I could be wrong, who knows.

Had there not been the bye I’d understand but no way a good coach has a team let down 2 weeks after a loss. Actually think it a jacked up spot as they had 2 weeks to stew about the loss.

Absolutely. That is what it is all about. The odds makers aren't always right in determining outcomes or who wins. It is up to people like us to figure out when they are wrong.

I def welcome the difference of opinion tho. Honestly even when it guys I respect on the other side I still rather have that than us all liking the same side! Lol

I really don't get the love for Iowa. Iowa is the poor man's Clemson (equivalent stats against a weaker schedule). Would you expect Clemson to beat Wisconsin in Madison this week?

I really don't get the love for Iowa. Iowa is the poor man's Clemson (equivalent stats against a weaker schedule). Would you expect Clemson to beat Wisconsin in Madison this week?

Interesting, I would say wiscy is poor man clemson. Lol

Been very clear to me that the book’s PR number on wiscy is off since they lost back to back home games as faves to domers & michigan. That, or they’re getting like 7 pts for home field.

That it would, I'm not much of a totals player though. I like going opposite on high totals and taking runs at Unders. This one is fairly low, 47? I'm not sure what I would do with that. I do think Navy D has a chance to play well vs a sometimes-good, not great Tulsa O - they are no better than what Navy has already played for sure. And I doubt Navy just does what they want vs that DL. My worry is if both teams crack 20 and get into the low 20s then that is getting pretty close.

Just read in the Gold Sheet from MoneyMakingMark's newsletter thread that Tulsa Over is 6-0 this year. So I looked.

Based off the Power Sweep Logs:
Tulsa FBS games recent to oldest
63 pts Over 55.5
64 pts Over 60.5
55 pts Over 54
75 pts Over 64.5
61 pts Over 60.5
51 pts Push 51*

*lines from source to source not always being uniform, that game may've well gone over some totals that weren't all the way to 51.

Two of those others just barely went over by .5 here and 1 pt there.

I'd think if the Navy-Tulsa game stays Under, it will be close. What would team totals be? Something like Navy 18 - Tulsa 29? I'd think Navy could get past 20 and Tulsa could be right around 27/28.

Penn State has wins against Wisconsin and Auburn. What is Ohio State's best win?

Do blowout wins over 3 of the B1G's five worst teams really mean Ohio State has an 85% chance of beating Penn State? Is the Clifford injury that bad?

Iowa defense is the best I've ever seen them this season

Better than the Bob Sanders years

Penn State has wins against Wisconsin and Auburn. What is Ohio State's best win?

Do blowout wins over 3 of the B1G's five worst teams really mean Ohio State has an 85% chance of beating Penn State? Is the Clifford injury that bad?

I think it is a style thing. The offenses that Penn State faced in Wisconsin and Auburn do not compare to what Ohio State brings to the table. Can Penn State handle that? On the other side of the ball, Wisconsin and Auburn both are better Ds than Ohio State, so I think. We really don't know because we haven't seen Ohio St D do anything vs anyone that can play good offense since the first couple games of the season.

That is what I am really interested in. I want to see who they really are. I just hope after this game we aren't saying, "well Clifford is hurt so Penn St didn't have their best" and it's another blowout Ohio State win. I'd like to believe that the Ohio State D really hasn't improved all that much in reality, but somebody has to test them. Can Penn State do that? If Penn St plays like they did and if Clifford plays like he did in the Auburn game...that is what I want to see. Is he good enough to play that way now? He was visually bothered by some sort of discomfort around his torso region during the Illinois game.

This Ohio State O is pretty incredible. I will discount their D, but I won't try to do that with the O. No way. But, history says that Penn State has done well vs similarly equipped Ohio State weapons. I'm hopeful that will be the case again.

Penn State has better wins and competed well in the Iowa loss. Illinois is what it is. Ohio State's best win has not occurred yet. To date it is Minnesota.

I saw today Clifford said he feels 100% again this week and he’s ready to go. Player speak? Who knows. But he admitted to not being 100% last week

I saw today Clifford said he feels 100% again this week and he’s ready to go. Player speak? Who knows. But he admitted to not being 100% last week
At this point in the season, I doubt any player is 100%. He very well feel better than last week, but doubt he is like before week 1.

@Baylor, ISU, @ Oklahoma St, title game

If they win all 4 of those, it's a helluva feat in basically a month regardless who's at QB
going to get real loud and dicey if Oklahoma wins out, Ohio St wins out (Penn St. Michigan, Title) and Bama/Bulldogs win out and Bama wins a close title game. That's a LOT to still happen but I think if it does Cincy could get bumped again, even with no losses - especially if they play like they did vs Navy. And if Wake wins out, they will stake a claim too. Fun, important games now starting.

Back