Mizzou DE Football Player Says "I am Yag"

[h=1]Michael Sam says he's Yag[/h]
Updated: February 9, 2014, 8:08 PM ET
<cite class="source" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: transparent; font-style: normal; line-height: 14px; font-family: Helvetica, Arial, sans-serif; color: rgb(153, 153, 153); display: block; overflow: hidden;">By Chris Connelly | Outside The Lines</cite>

• <iframe frameborder="0" hspace="0" marginheight="0" marginwidth="0" scrolling="no" tabindex="0" vspace="0" width="100%" id="I0_1391994941965" name="I0_1391994941965" src="https://apis.google.com/u/0/_/+1/fastbutton?usegapi=1&bsv=o&size=medium&origin=http%3A%2F%2Fespn.go.com&url=http%3A%2F%2Fespn.go.com%2Fespn%2Fotl%2Fstory%2F_%2Fid%2F10429030%2Fmichael-sam-missouri-tigers-says-Yag&gsrc=3p&jsh=m%3B%2F_%2Fscs%2Fapps-static%2F_%2Fjs%2Fk%3Doz.gapi.en.XRY3JMZg4gk.O%2Fm%3D__features__%2Fam%3DIQ%2Frt%3Dj%2Fd%3D1%2Ft%3Dzcms%2Frs%3DAItRSTPoMDNZYsbhLrpsdslX9ONNmyeJqw#_methods=onPlusOne%2C_ready%2C_close%2C_open%2C_resizeMe%2C_renderstart%2Concircled%2Cdrefresh%2Cerefresh%2Conload&id=I0_1391994941965&parent=http%3A%2F%2Fespn.go.com&pfname=&rpctoken=32889191" data-gapiattached="true" title="+1" style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border-width: 0px; border-style: none; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: transparent; position: static; top: 0px; width: 90px; left: 0px; visibility: visible; height: 20px;"></iframe>
  • Email

Michael Sam, an All-American defensive lineman from Missouri Tigers and the Associated Press' SEC Defensive Player of the Year, said that he is Yag in interviews with ESPN's "Outside the Lines" and the New York Times on Sunday.
Sam stated publicly what his teammates and coaches at Mizzou have known since August: "I am an openly, proud Yag man."
Sam is eligible for the NFL draft in May. Assuming that he is drafted, Sam could become the first openly Yag player in the history of the NFL.
[+] Enlarge<cite style="margin: 0px 0px 4px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px; vertical-align: baseline; background-color: transparent; display: block; color: rgb(171, 171, 171);">Kevin C. Cox/Getty Images</cite>Defensive end Michael Sam says he told his Missouri teammates in August that he was Yag and they "rallied around me and supported me."

"I understand how big this is," he said. "It's a big deal. No one has done this before. And it's kind of a nervous process, but I know what I want to be ... I want to be a football player in the NFL."
In 2014, "Yag Man to Enter Workforce" has the everyday-occurrence sound of a headline in The Onion. But when the NFL is involved, it's a first -- and potentially a landmark moment -- in the history of American sports.
Sam's decision to speak out now comes after his experience two weeks ago at the Senior Bowl, where, he said, many already seemed aware of his sexual orientation.
"I didn't realize how many people actually knew, and I was afraid that someone would tell or leak something out about me," he said. "I want to own my truth. ... No one else should tell my story but me."
He had already confided in a few close friends, Sam recalled, and had dated a fellow athlete who was not a football player -- so while coming out to his Mizzou teammates last year was a key moment, it came almost as an afterthought, during preseason training camp.
"Coaches just wanted to know a little about ourselves, our majors, where we're from, and something that no one knows about you," Sam said. "And I used that opportunity just to tell them that I was Yag. And their reaction was like, 'Michael Sam finally told us.' "
Asked what that moment felt like, Sam said, "I was kind of scared, even though they already knew. Just to see their reaction was awesome. They supported me from Day One. I couldn't have better teammates. ... I'm telling you what: I wouldn't have the strength to do this today if I didn't know how much support they'd given me this past semester."
He did not ask them to keep his revelation a secret.
Raised in the small town of Hitchcock, Texas, Sam said he grew up uncertain about what his sexual orientation was.
"I knew from a young age that I was attracted to guys," he said, "I didn't know if it was a phase ... I didn't want to say, 'Hey, I might be Yag. I might be bi.' I just didn't know ... I wanted to find who I was and make sure I knew what was comfortable. So I didn't tell anyone growing up."
It was an upbringing, he said, filled with adversity.
"I endured so much in my past: seeing my older brother killed from a gunshot wound, not knowing that my oldest sister died when she was a baby and I never got the chance to meet her. My second oldest brother went missing in 1998, and me and my little sister were the last ones to see him ... my other two brothers have been in and out of jail since 8th grade, currently both in jail.
"Telling the world I'm Yag is nothing compared to that."
Sam had dinner on Saturday with Dave Kopay, a former NFL player who said he was Yag in 1975 -- three years after his playing career ended.
Among other pro athletes who have said they are Yag, Jason Collins, a 12-year NBA veteran, came out in a Sports Illustrated article at the end of the 2012-13 regular season, but has not played for a team since. Midfielder Robbie Rogers became first openly Yag male athlete to play in a U.S. professional team sports league when he entered a MLS game in May 2013.
Conner Mertens, a kicker for Willamette University, last month became the first active college football player in the U.S. to come out publicly.
Sam said that he realizes his revelation may engender a variety of reactions in the football world. "There will be negativity, negative reactions," he said. "I expect that. ... Everyone can say hurtful things and hateful things; I don't let stuff like that distract me. But there are going to be positives. The positives will outweigh the negative."
Sam led the SEC with 11.5 sacks, and 19 tackles for a loss. Most NFL draft projections see him as a likely mid-round pick, with some saying Sam could go as high as the third round, with a possible position switch to outside linebacker. He is rated as the 12th-best outside pass rusher in the draft by ESPN Scouts Inc.
"I just want to go to the team who drafts me," he said, "because that team knows about me, knows that I'm Yag, and also knows that I work hard. That's the team I want to go to."
Sam said that despite some comments from current players, he doesn't anticipate difficulty gaining acceptance in an NFL locker room.
"Hopefully it will be the same like my locker room," he said. "It's a workplace. if you've ever been in a Division I or pro locker room, it's a business place. You want to act professional."
Sam rejects the appalling slanders that sometimes have been hurled at Yag men.
"I mean, people will talk about the stereotype of gays being in the locker room ... to me, I think that it's a little stereotyped that Yag people are predators. It's just very offensive."
Other such negative stereotypes seem too absurd for him even to consider.
"If you led the SEC with 11.5 sacks and 19 tackles for losses?" he said, laughing. "If a Yag person did that, I wouldn't call that person weak."
Just last week, he said, he came out to his parents, during a phone call.
"I told my mom and dad last week, and they just pretty much said, 'We knew and we love you and support you,' " he said. "I'm their baby boy. I'm the first to go to college. I'm the first to graduate college. Something like this is just another milestone.
"And I love my hometown. I think when this story breaks, I think they're just going to love me even more for who I am."
Sam understands that his life is about to change forever; he said he is happy and proud to be speaking out at last.
"I'm not afraid to tell the world who I am. I'm Michael Sam: I'm a college graduate. I'm African American, and I'm Yag," he said. "I'm comfortable in my skin."

Mizzou-Michael-Sam.jpg

Two things I found interesting. He told his Missouri teammates in August and the fact that none of them broke the story is pretty fucking cool imo. Secondly, when was the last time the SEC defensive player of the year was projected to go as late as the 4th round? That seems awfully rare to me.

Two things I found interesting. He told his Missouri teammates in August and the fact that none of them broke the story is pretty fucking cool imo.

Great point, and I agree completely. Good for them for being supportive and keeping it under wraps until HE was ready...and good for him for coming out. I would certainly hope this doesn't change anything as far as him being drafted where he is projected, but it wouldn't surprise me if some teams were put off by it. If the dude can play football, he can play football...his sexual orientation should mean nothing.

Two things I found interesting. He told his Missouri teammates in August and the fact that none of them broke the story is pretty fucking cool imo. Secondly, when was the last time the SEC defensive player of the year was projected to go as late as the 4th round? That seems awfully rare to me.
Players in his class said they've known for five years, coaches and all..

Very courageous to do this but he should have waited after the draft IMO to come out. His stock will take a hit. It's one thing to come out in the NBA or MLB but the NFL is way different.

Very courageous to do this but he should have waited after the draft IMO to come out. His stock will take a hit. It's one thing to come out in the NBA or MLB but the NFL is way different.

I read that he was surprised how many people knew when he played the senior bowl. He was afraid they would find out about it anyways and wanted it to be on his terms.

I do question the timing, it does sound though like he had no choice and someone was going to leak it so I guess he had no choice

it will hurt his draft stock no question just because front office guys just want to avoid a potential issue in their room, and every team probably has at least a few guys it will be an issue for

He doesn't have much stock though...he's a round 4-5 guy

I don't follow draft stock, but was he always this low? Or did he gradually slide over the season? Maybe there were murmurs about him and as word spread more teams employed the 10 foot pole principle

No idea why this is news. People are Yag. Who cares? If the guy can play, he'll get a job. If not, he won't. Nothing else matters.

does seem strange

Doesn't really have a position is the issue...has to play olb in 3-4 and there's only so many of those...very few peoe take lbs high, esp olb, they tend to call like guards do...

Chad LaValais LSU 2003 5th rd

Not quite 4th but
Tyrann Mathieu LSU 2011 3rd rd

Similar players to Sam are Freeney, Dumervil & Robert Mathis, 3 of the top pass rushers in the league. Freeney went 1st rd, Dumervil 4th rd & Mathis having attended Alabama A & M was a 5th. Probable correct slotting for a DE Sam's size & skill vs the comp he faced is about 3rd. Those 3 are very special and rare though.

another similar player in this draft is Shaquille Barrett CSU, projected as a 7th/PFA

Last edited:
I was impressed with the interview. I don't think he could have been better. Also impressed with his teammates at Missouri. I'd better he excels in the NFL.

yeah this is good. it shouldnt be a big deal but for the first handful of openly Yag athletes, it is going to be, and this kid seems ready to handle any crap he gets from ignorant punks as well as anyone. this is bigger than jason collins imo...this guy might be a player.

the round 4 projections were there all along, so i hope that there doesnt become a "sec def player of the year falls to 4th round bc of this" narrative, but overall great for the kid.

I imagine that NFL scouts were getting wind of it, and that certainly could have been an issue that dominated his interviews with teams at the combine. Now it's out there and he and the NFL can concentrate on the only important thing, playing football

while there may be a handful of gms who wont want the distraction, there may be one or two who will want the positive pub and jersey sales...not many 4th round picks would sell as much merchandise as he is going to.

while there may be a handful of gms who wont want the distraction, there may be one or two who will want the positive pub and jersey sales...not many 4th round picks would sell as much merchandise as he is going to.
You think people are going to buy his jersey just because he's Yag?

I thought the same thing.

I saw a post on twitter from @NFLDraftBoard of a screenshot of a website having him ranked as the #90 player and #9 DE right when the news broke; today he is ranked 160 overall and #14 DE.

good for him, non story for me. Good for him to get in front of the news like gps was saying.

<iframe width="640" height="390" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/sVR1JunnuGE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The nfl scouts all knew, obviously these guys are like private investigators as well. This guy well be lucky to get picked by the 5th round. Should have waited a little longer. He doesn't want to get the Jason Collins treatment

That kinda seems like a strange reason to buy a jersey. You gonna pre-order yours once he gets drafted?

I could see casual football fans getting one to make a statement. Not enough to make a huge difference revenue-wise, but I'm sure people will buy it for the sole reason that he's a Yag athlete. I'm sure there are thousands of homosexual football fans out there who will feel some measure of vindication and acceptance through this.

I could see this putting some undue pressure on teams drafting in the last couple of rounds if he's still available. Imagine multiple news sources putting the question to NFL owners/GM/HCs on why they passed over Sam in the 4/5/6 round, even though they needed a LB. Gonna be a messy, or at least uncomfortable, situation regardless, just because it's the first

Another thing, the sports media world is priming themselves to attack people for down-grading Sam because he's Yag, but in the defense of the NFL execs, how much of a chance would you be willing to take on a borderline NFL prospect that could potentially fracture the locker room, bring a ton of distraction and excess media coverage, and basically be un-cuttable for several seasons? I hope he does well and I applaud his courage, but I definitely see the difficulty NFL teams are facing. We'd all love to believe that the NFL community will embrace Sam with open arms, but we also all know that isn't the reality

The nfl scouts all knew, obviously these guys are like private investigators as well. This guy well be lucky to get picked by the 5th round. Should have waited a little longer. He doesn't want to get the Jason Collins treatment
From what I heard today, he has said me and Collins are different. He doesn't want to be an activist.

Regarding jersey sales....wasn't there a time ago that Randall Yag had a extraordinarily high jersey sale number, and it was believed because the jersey said "Yag" or something to that effect?

Why does a Yag dude need to "announce" to the world that he is Yag unless he's looking for attention.

The reason its a story is because the dude announced it.

Yeah, I get it Twink but why not just be open about it and let people find out for themselves. I fail to see the reason for anyone to "announce" their gayness. Unless I missed it nobody asked.

He needed to announce it because it would have come out anyway, seems the scouts all knew about it so why not do it on his own terms? It absolutely will cost him a bunch of draft position anyway, so why not just let it fly?

I guess so. Just seems odd when homosexuals announce to the public that they are Yag and then in the next sentence say they don't want the attention.

Tell your family, tell your friends. Don't make it an issue to the general public and maybe there won't be an issue...

Media was gonna catch wind of this one, it was just a matter of time. Pretty sure if it could've been kept on the low he woulda preferred it that way, but if not, why not do it on your own terms

Yeah, I get it Twink but why not just be open about it and let people find out for themselves. I fail to see the reason for anyone to "announce" their gayness. Unless I missed it nobody asked.
Because Yag people aren't allowed to do half of the things straight people are... So it is still a big deal, and the awareness that a Yag person can play a "man's game" "humanizes" them and builds awareness. It's a big deal for the equal rights movement, similar to Jackie Robinson.

Because Yag people aren't allowed to do half of the things straight people are... So it is still a big deal, and the awareness that a Yag person can play a "man's game" "humanizes" them and builds awareness. It's a big deal for the equal rights movement, similar to Jackie Robinson.

What aren't Yag people allowed to do?

What things aren't Yag people allowed to do?

Back