Match Play

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
I am way behind on this one and have left golf alone the past few weeks...

Thoughts?

Always a fun event...

Players and match play in March are doing the tour a major disservice, We love these events but not as much as we love the madness. Does this start tomorrow?

Players and match play in March are doing the tour a major disservice, We love these events but not as much as we love the madness. Does this start tomorrow?
Yes,

Down in Austin....

I agree... this used to be in late February and would get my attention much more.

Right now, my focus is on a little tournament down in Georgia coming up soon.

Reactions: KJ
Yes,

Down in Austin....

I agree... this used to be in late February and would get my attention much more.

Right now, my focus is on a little tournament down in Georgia coming up soon.
Just sucks. I understand the thinking, that brackets are big time in March and they want a piece of the action, but who's really watching match play over NCAA? Already said my piece on the Players, to do it the weekend of conference tournaments and Selection Sunday is a complete failure.

Just sucks. I understand the thinking, that brackets are big time in March and they want a piece of the action, but who's really watching match play over NCAA? Already said my piece on the Players, to do it the weekend of conference tournaments and Selection Sunday is a complete failure.
I get it.

The Players used to be this coming weekend before the switch to May. That helps a bit with less NCAA games and the later tips... but still...

What’s this event??

Match play is a lot of fun. Wish they did it much more often.
WGC--Matchplay.

This been around since '99

2016 through present at Austin Country Club

Billy Ho the defending champ

-----------------------------------

The tournament is split into two phases:

• The players are split into 16 groups of four players (each group has a player seeded 1–16, 17–32, 33–48, 49–64). Each group plays in a round-robin format over Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday. One point is awarded for a win, and one-half point for a tie, with only the group winner qualifying to the next round. If two or more players are tied at the top of the group, there is a sudden death stroke play tie-breaker played to decide who progresses.
  • The second phase is played as a knock out tournament, with the round of 16 and quarterfinals played on Saturday, and the semifinal, third-place playoff and final played on Sunday.
All matches are played over 18 holes.

US Am was legit. Yardage books, green books, etc.

How many putts did I read during the tournament? Take a guess.

My yardages had to be on point. For these kids, the difference between a 157 yard shot and a 160 yard shot is very significant.

Unlike the guys I work for and I just say “pull the 7”.

US Am was legit. Yardage books, green books, etc.

How many putts did I read during the tournament? Take a guess.

My yardages had to be on point. For these kids, the difference between a 157 yard shot and a 160 yard shot is very significant.

Unlike the guys I work for and I just say “pull the 7”.
Your kid was pretty quiet, right?

Your kid was pretty quiet, right?
Yea. I read one putt. It was during the practice round on BD. Par 4 8th hole. Back center pin. Uphill left to right. He left it a bit short. Looked at me and said “you were right”. Never asked me to look at a putt again all week.

In the big tourney, he could’ve been -4 thru 8 on day 1. His missed putts were brutal. Just so close.

Love this tourney Wednesday thru Friday. Not so much on the weekend. It drags.

This is the one tourney I'll do on draftkings because alot of people still don't know how to set a lineup for a bracket format.

Great thing about this event that I usually struggle with:

No dead heat wagers

Taking Niemann +3500 .5*, top 2 +1600, top 4 +750 2*, win group 14 +225 4*

I gravitate towards the guys that did well as amateurs since we know they're very good at match play, naturally Rahm fits but rather take the odds w/Niemann.

Will post some live wagers, fun way to approach this imo

Hole 10 JT +265 v List 3* ties lose on these
Hole 11 JT +200 v List 5*

Just did JT all three holes v List

12 +190
13 +190
14 +270

5* each and it's more a fade of List coming down the stretch than anything, JT isn't playing poorly

Haha List went OOB then almost hit a boat on 12

Good start to this string of holes

Have to go to live-in game then select the hole winner matchups in the drop down

Just did Mitchell holes 1,2,3 at +285, +310, +295 against Cantlay

Probably bet him all match

WTF was that putt? I'm pretty sure I could pick up a foursome off the street that would do better than that.

Solid mid day nap ruined by waking up to Fatrick birdying a hole

Without FIGJAM there is really only one true villain in the field

Just did 75 each Webb v Bubba on 17 and 18 ...strictly Bubba fade +320 and +205, get one Webb!

Back