Have seen most people predict that the results of the trade war/tarriffs will likely lead to recession in 2020 not 2019. But let's be honest, if the Fed chair isn't in to slowing down rate increases, that could blow up real quickly
yep. Powell seems hell-bent on raising rates to make it clear that he doesn't take orders from Trump. Economy be damned. Markets clearly telling the Fed to stop though.

yep. Powell seems hell-bent on raising rates to make it clear that he doesn't take orders from Trump. Economy be damned. Markets clearly telling the Fed to stop though.

Personal opinion in here but if raising rates to 2.5 % is causing so many waves, something is deeply wrong with the economy. When the recession hits the fed has nothing to fall back on to expand the money supply.

Personal opinion in here but if raising rates to 2.5 % is causing so many waves, something is deeply wrong with the economy. When the recession hits the fed has nothing to fall back on to expand the money supply.
also true. Hard to justify not raising rates with unemployment so low as well.

Well I remember there was some long faces when Texas got crushed by Maryland 3 months ago. Here we are now

also true. Hard to justify not raising rates with unemployment so low as well.

Problem is baby boomers are retiring at 10k a day clip

Fwiw bond traders are treating the market as tho the Fed will slow their role. Doesn't matter what's happened in the past gurv, it legitimately allowed people with B credit to buy vehicles to actually get to and from work when that line of lending was shut down. If it takes all these years to recover, so be it. It must be managed right, can't just turn to higher rates all the time either. Takes massaging. I'll leave it at that as I do have a favorite masseuse and she's not running the country.

It's pretty bad when even McDonough and Blackledge were talking in-game about how disinterested Georgia was leading up to the game. Smart having to beg the players to work during practices, etc.

Oft repeated and mentioned in this thread and others - bowl betting is simply about as hazardous as it gets.

On page 479.....completely forgot about Texas vs Georgia game. No idea who won. Was leaning Georgia after that SEC title game. Score guess Georgia 38-16.
Going to read through here before checking score ......Got some time on the throne before heading out. LOL

It's pretty bad when even McDonough and Blackledge were talking in-game about how disinterested Georgia was leading up to the game. Smart having to beg the players to work during practices, etc.

Oft repeated and mentioned in this thread and others - bowl betting is simply about as hazardous as it gets.

It is a relatively new phenomenon in my opinion. Players and coaches used to really get up for the bowls. Conferences used to take pride in defeating the opposing conferences. The best players, instead of sitting, used the game as one last showcase of their skills when there are not a bunch of other games on. Coaches used to use the game for recruiting purposes.

There just is no pride anymore. I wonder if this has anything to do with our culture trying to move away from the concept of winners and losers. I mean, I didn't play D1 football ... I played basketball on black tops. I Just don't understand, and will never understand, playing a sporting event in your twenties that you don't care about winning. I ALWAYS cared in my meaningless games against meaningless opponents, in games no one in the whole world cared about but those of us playing in it. How on earth could a D1 athlete not care? In recent years, I have heard it about professional players and teams as well. Shameful.

I get the sitting players protecting themselves, I really do. But to play in the game and not care at 22 years old is just hard for me to fathom.

It is a relatively new phenomenon in my opinion. Players and coaches used to really get up for the bowls. Conferences used to take pride in defeating the opposing conferences. The best players, instead of sitting, used the game as one last showcase of their skills when there are not a bunch of other games on. Coaches used to use the game for recruiting purposes.

There just is no pride anymore. I wonder if this has anything to do with our culture trying to move away from the concept of winners and losers. I mean, I didn't play D1 football ... I played basketball on black tops. I Just don't understand, and will never understand, playing a sporting event in your twenties that you don't care about winning. I ALWAYS cared in my meaningless games against meaningless opponents, in games no one in the whole world cared about but those of us playing in it. How on earth could a D1 athlete not care? In recent years, I have heard it about professional players and teams as well. Shameful.

I get the sitting players protecting themselves, I really do. But to play in the game and not care at 22 years old is just hard for me to fathom.

Interesting thoughts.

I don't know if it will happen but the entire bowl process has to be revisited. Rewarding mediocrity just isn't the way to go. And sans 3 or 4 bowls, no one (fans, tv audience, and now players) cares. Some of those attendance pictures from the stadiums were absolutely pathetic.

Interesting thoughts.

I don't know if it will happen but the entire bowl process has to be revisited. Rewarding mediocrity just isn't the way to go. And sans 3 or 4 bowls, no one (fans, tv audience, and now players) cares. Some of those attendance pictures from the stadiums were absolutely pathetic.
I would even venture to guess that a bundle of those tickets are given to the local community. Distributed through raffle, radio or TV media...just to put butts in seats.

Yep, that's about right.

I'm guessing he was discussed somewhere in this thread but I would be remiss if I didn't bring up Chuba Hubbard from Oklahoma State. He mostly played behind Justice Hill this season but there were a couple runs in that game against Missouri that were just jaw dropping. Changes of pace, cutting and acceleration that would make Barry Sanders and Leveon Bell proud.

I'm embarrassed to say that following the Big 12 I wasn't overly familiar with Hubbard. But I came away from that bowl game simply thinking "Wow". From Canada, of all places, and just a freshman. Mark this guy down as someone who will do big things in '19.

Willekes broke his leg in a meaningless game. Bowl games are slowly turning into the Pro Bowl. I remember when I was a kid the Pro Bowl was a watchable thing

When they created the college bowl playoffs it seemed to render all other bowls meaningless.

Add in the kids sitting for nfl draft which in reality was not actually done to prepare for the nfk draft.

Players aren’t really skipping bowl games to get ready for nfl draft.

They realized the ncaa is a joke organization and that they completed the season and now stand to make millions. They basically said f you ncaa we aren’t helping you market games etc.

They did what the ncaa would do. NCAA doesent give two shits about any player. Just uses them to make money.
So now players realize it’s all a business.

This is why they are sitting.

EWU can't stop them and certainly can't match scores with them. Even when the eagles self destructed on that first drive I'm not sure it mattered. It's too early to call it, but not really.

LOL, KJ. That was something. I thought about driving up for the game as it's a beautiful day, but I'm still under the weather.

My inZane ass is going Alabama -3 and under 28 in the first half.

Clemson +6* for the game, and I'm leaning under the 57 right now.

Good luck to all...

:cheers3:

Haskins will make millions this season. Good for him.

Take advantage of a weak qb class.

But honestly Haskins is not a starter.

He just isn’t very athletic. Nothing more than a third stringer.

Ohio state doesent produce any good QBs.

Back