LSU Coaching Search

Oklahoma took nebraska off its schedule, so yeah.....
Cubsker, quit shoveling bull shit about Nebraska on a thread about a coaching change at LSU

Nebraska left the conference on their own. Before they left Nebraska and Oklahoma played for almost a century, beginning in 1912. It was a great rivalry--most Oklahoma fans considered Nebraska their second favorite team--but Oklahoma had the upper hand. For all games played, Oklahoma led 45-38.

During the greatest era of Nebraska football, the Osborne era, Switzer dominated Osborne, going 12-5 in the 17 games the played against each other.

Ending the rivalry and leaving the conference was a giant blunder and cost Nebraska everything. They still have loyal fans, but they lost everything important about the program. When they left the Big 12 Nebraska had an amazing 46 conference titles. When they played at Oklahoma this fall none of the players in the game--unless one of them is 24--was even born the last time Nebraska won one.

As for which team didn't want to play, go ask Scott Frost and the AD who tried to get out of the game in September. As soon as they heard about it, Oklahoma had to go public with the news to shame Nebraska into playing

Every Nebraska fan I know--and I know a lot of them--thought the idea of backing out of the game was beneath Nebraska and let the administration know it. And they all have way too much pride to make bullshit claims about schools not wanting to play them. They know better

You can say whatever you want about this year, but don't try to rewrite history. Nebraska was kicking the shit out of Oklahoma in the mid 90s. Nebraska wanted to play every year, similar to how bama plays Tennessee every year (different divisions). OU said no. Those are the facts. I don't think nebraska would have left had we still been playing every year. Seeing what has transpired this year with OU and Texas, Nebraska clearly made the right choice in leaving.

That is kind of the story Texas and Texas A&M tell.

Obviously, it did not really work with them being in separate divisions. They weren't going to be playing teams in their conference as non-conference games.

It somehow works just fine in the SEC. Why would any conference ever end their most famous rivalry game? I'll tell you why, one school wanted to.

Swinney is successful because he cheats at a historic level. Here is a guy that was a mediocre OC and cheated his way to the top. His recruiting luck has run out on him now so he is having a bad year because some of his guys did not turn out.

Cheats at a historical level? And you have inside information of this cheating?

If you think coaches now are cheating at historic levels, I invite you to do some research of college football from the dawn of the sport until the 90s. And please point me to any plausible reports of any of these coaches/schools that are only winning because they are cheating. Laziest excuse for futility in the book

Dabo is suffering because they havent recruited the OL as well as they should, and their DL isn’t what it usually is, certainly injuries have played a role. I don’t know that it played a part, but his public resistance to NIL was a strategic error, as well as not taking transfers until recently

It somehow works just fine in the SEC. Why would any conference ever end their most famous rivalry game? I'll tell you why, one school wanted to.
Actually both teams were upset that they were not going to be playing one another at the time and they complained about it. They threatened the Big 12 with playing a non-conference game. The Big 12 told them to F off. They did.

It is comical to think Nebraska would play Oklahoma non-conference. Nebraska was famous for its laughable non-conference schedule. They invented the concept of playing I-AAs to play a game for money. The 1990s scheduling got so bad ABC had to televise Ohio State and Ball State in Week 1. That is when they started laying down the law.

Even if they had wanted to, there was no way the Big 12 would have allowed a non-conference game because that would have been an admission the conference was a failure. All the Big 8 schools were mad because the Big 12 didn't care anything about their rivalry games and would not put them on TV. And that is why Nebraska in particular did not like the way the Big 12 ran things.

You have no idea what the hell you're talking about. Click the link and see who nebraska played in the 80s. Teams would shit themselves nowadays if they played non con schedules like were played back then. One year, we played Auburn, Penn St, and FSU in back to back to back weeks. We never played a single 1-AA team in the 80s or 90s.

You have no idea what the hell you're talking about. Click the link and see who nebraska played in the 80s. Teams would shit themselves nowadays if they played non con schedules like were played back then. One year, we played Auburn, Penn St, and FSU in back to back to back weeks. We never played a single 1-AA team in the 80s or 90s.

Bro I’m still trying to understand how TaMU/LSU games from the 80s have to do with the current LSU situation.
Saban saw the situation at LSU and the advantages but my man doesn’t understand that Kevin Faulk staying home was the real elixir….

Bro I’m still trying to understand how TaMU/LSU games from the 80s have to do with the current LSU situation.
Saban saw the situation at LSU and the advantages but my man doesn’t understand that Kevin Faulk staying home was the real elixir….

That was my initial point. Who didn't want to play whom in the 80s or 90s doesn't mean shit when discussing which job is better today. A&M a better job than LSU is as ridiculous as thinking Nebraska is a better job than OU.

Louisiana is a nice place to recruit. But it is not Texas. Texas A&M has an advantage on LSU, not the other way around. If LSU had an advantage, they would not have to remove A&M from the schedule. At the time, A&M was outcheating LSU by a wide margin. That has reversed. Going forward I would give A&M the advantage, especially with Fisher as coach and whatever LSU comes up with.

Louisiana is a nice place to recruit. But it is not Texas. Texas A&M has an advantage on LSU, not the other way around. If LSU had an advantage, they would not have to remove A&M from the schedule. At the time, A&M was outcheating LSU by a wide margin. That has reversed. Going forward I would give A&M the advantage, especially with Fisher as coach and whatever LSU comes up with.
Wrong. Yea it’s not TX. Lock down the state/Only big university in at LEAST top5 per capita recruiting talent/Go into TX and nab top talent, same in FLA.

TAMU has nicer facilities and more money is what you meant to say…..not much to show for all that yet though

No, but they beat them last year and are going to beat them this year so the trend is not your friend. Good luck going forward.

If you think coaches now are cheating at historic levels, I invite you to do some research of college football from the dawn of the sport until the 90s. And please point me to any plausible reports of any of these coaches/schools that are only winning because they are cheating. Laziest excuse for futility in the book
So athletic programs are paying coaches $200,000 per starter and making millions beyond their imagination in the 1990s so they cleaned up their act? The NCAA does not enforce rules against cheating anymore. It is self enforcement. Tennesee shockingly found cheating when they hired Nick Saban's assistant!!! They never knew until they wanted to get rid of the guy!!!

Reggie Bush was getting $250,000 from USC. Arizona just got busted for paying $100,000 in BASKETBALL.

So athletic programs are paying coaches $200,000 per starter and making millions beyond their imagination in the 1990s so they cleaned up their act? The NCAA does not enforce rules against cheating anymore. It is self enforcement. Tennesee shockingly found cheating when they hired Nick Saban's assistant!!! They never knew until they wanted to get rid of the guy!!!

Reggie Bush was getting $250,000 from USC. Arizona just got busted for paying $100,000 in BASKETBALL.
As a defender of the bagman and all the good they do for (often) underprivileged families, all I'll say is $250k in 2005 is worth north of $350k today.

As a defender of the bagman and all the good they do for (often) underprivileged families, all I'll say is $250k in 2005 is worth north of $350k today.
I am all for cheating. That's why I like what Missouri is doing. They are saying: "We are cheating and we don't care who knows. We are coming for you."

Not any more, but they were 1-A in the big west with teams like Nevada, unlv, and San Jose st
I was in Vegas when they played one yr.
Nebby -69.5
We were at dinner and I was asked if I had my plays in. I mentioned the spread on Neb/Pacific. My MIL says "I wouldn't give 69pts to anyone"
Neb won 72(or 71)-0. I know they covered.

I was in Vegas when they played one yr.
Nebby -69.5
We were at dinner and I was asked if I had my plays in. I mentioned the spread on Neb/Pacific. My MIL says "I wouldn't give 69pts to anyone"
Neb won 72(or 71)-0. I know they covered.

We beat em 70-21 and 49-7 in 94 and 95. I think they disbanded in the next year. I read an article about it once and people are still pissed.

We beat em 70-21 and 49-7 in 94 and 95. I think they disbanded in the next year. I read an article about it once and people are still pissed.
That was pretty typical of Nebraska scheduling. You can look back at those days and it looks a little more respectable because a lot of the schools have really moved up. Back then, they were basically I-AAs and that sort of thing was considered much more low class. The Big 8 was so weak they did play a few good teams.

Anyhow, no chance of a non-conference game with OU as a Big 12 team.

Bugg Strong hits the portal today. It’s another “whatever” and Greg Penn been getting in there but LSU had LB issues going into the season…can’t count this scholly back either.

Heard they couldn’t get a full practice in today because they are running outta players

Heard they couldn’t get a full practice in today because they are running outta players
Sad situation. I hate to see that happen to any program. The posters on this site saw it coming though.

Everyone knew the NIL stupidity was going to change college football for the worse, maybe change it so much it no longer resembles the greatest sport in the world it has been for the last century. Throwing money at kids whose heads were already blown up to begin with can only cause problems

Back to the coaching search: Mike Gundy probably would never leave Okla State for any other job, but the suits at Ok State made sure by reinstating his automatically renewing, automatic raise, five year roll over contract and throwing in the couple of million he gave back when covid and the moronic Chuba Hubbard incident hit the program. They know he doesn't want any other job, but a lot of good jobs are going to be open this year and they decided to take no chances he might

Sad situation. I hate to see that happen to any program. The posters on this site saw it coming though.

Everyone knew the NIL stupidity was going to change college football for the worse, maybe change it so much it no longer resembles the greatest sport in the world it has been for the last century. Throwing money at kids whose heads were already blown up to begin with can only cause problems

Back to the coaching search: Mike Gundy probably would never leave Okla State for any other job, but the suits at Ok State made sure by reinstating his automatically renewing, automatic raise, five year roll over contract and throwing in the couple of million he gave back when covid and the moronic Chuba Hubbard incident hit the program. They know he doesn't want any other job, but a lot of good jobs are going to be open this year and they decided to take no chances he might
You are correct, the posters did see it. “Lightning in a bottle” was the term thrown around and was fitting.

The CEO approach(chief executive officer NOT Coach Ed Orgeron lol) maybe can work but I never wanna see it again. I’ll never want another HC that is just a recruiter.

You can pay the coach or you can pay the players. Which do you prefer?

Swinney is successful because he cheats at a historic level. Here is a guy that was a mediocre OC and cheated his way to the top. His recruiting luck has run out on him now so he is having a bad year because some of his guys did not turn out.
You are an ignorant troll. Swinney was never an OC at all. He did not cheat his way to the top. And Clemson's troubles have nothing to do with missing on players they signed.

The problem is the offensive staff.

Last edited:
That was pretty typical of Nebraska scheduling. You can look back at those days and it looks a little more respectable because a lot of the schools have really moved up. Back then, they were basically I-AAs and that sort of thing was considered much more low class. The Big 8 was so weak they did play a few good teams.

Anyhow, no chance of a non-conference game with OU as a Big 12 team.
In 1994, in addition to Pacific, Nebraska played West Virginia, Texas Tech, and UCLA.. In 1981, when they played Clemson for the national title, they played Iowa, Penn State, Florida State, and Auburn. Those were basically 1-AAs?

You are an ignorant troll. Swinney was never an OC at all. He did not cheat his way to the top. And Clemson's troubles have nothing to do with missing on players they signed.

The problem is the offensive staff.
I wasn't paying that much attention back in those days. He was Bowden's assistant right? He got the job and then Clemson's recruiting surged.

College football fans do not like to hear that coaches cheat. They win them for the gipper.

OK, yeah. He was not OC, he was WR coach. I stand corrected. A WR coach started recruiting at an elite level. No cheating.

In 1994, in addition to Pacific, Nebraska played West Virginia, Texas Tech, and UCLA.. In 1981, when they played Clemson for the national title, they played Iowa, Penn State, Florida State, and Auburn. Those were basically 1-AAs?
1981? In 1981, you scheduled Rice, TCU and Northwestern when you wanted automatic wins. The whole pay to play thing started late 90s. They were playing Troy, North Texas and the like. Before that they would fill their schedule with Utah State and UNLV which were the equivalent to UC Davis now.

This could be BIG!!!

Joel Klatt said today on Fox he has been told LSU is pursuing Matt Rhule and that Rhule is not sold on the NFL and is listening. Lots of buzz in LSU circles there my something to this

There may be better coaches than Rhule, but there aren't many and most of them aren't available to LSU. Rhule would be a home run

This could be BIG!!!

Joel Klatt said today on Fox he has been told LSU is pursuing Matt Rhule and that Rhule is not sold on the NFL and is listening. Lots of buzz in LSU circles there my something to this

There may be better coaches than Rhule, but there aren't many and most of them aren't available to LSU. Rhule would be a home run
I'm sure this won't be a popular opinion but I think Rhule is incredibly overrated.

Yeah, Matt Rhule seems possible since the LSU AD likes big hires and doesn't really have anything on the table. And probably will not work.

Y’all think Jimbo would walk from TAMU?
Hard for me to believe he would. I can't think of any logical reason he would walk on aTm for LSU.

He's already rich, he's at a school that has every advantage a school can have, especially the fact aTm alums and students are not nearly as fickle and demanding as LSU folks.

Last edited:
Hard for me to believe he would. I can't think of any logic reason he would walk on aTm for LSU.

He's already rich, he's at a school that has every advantage a school can have, especially the fact aTm alums and students are not nearly as fickle and demanding as LSU folks.
I tend to agree. Outside of the Woodward/Jimbo connect I don’t see it either….lotta people think he’s gonna take a swing tho

Back