LSU Coaching Search

twinkie13

In transit, arriving late.
We knew it was done. I’m sure Woodward did t want it leaking the way it did and not sure how that affects the “coach out the year” awkward shit.

Press conference in 10 mins.

Who y’all think gets the job?

We knew it was done. I’m sure Woodward did t want it leaking the way it did and not sure how that affects the “coach out the year” awkward shit.

Press conference in 10 mins.

Who y’all think gets the job?
Bob Stoops out of retirement or Fickel. ProV said Urban earlier but I can't see him wanting to go back to college

Or the best case...LANE!

So alotta people like Napier. Man. It could, COULD be a really nice hire…but it has its risks.

Fickell obv the big fish but not sure it works and not sure he comes.

Urban no way. Woodward ain’t doing that. Can’t see Bob either

I bet Lane gets a call…obviously.

Bruce Feldman lists Mel Tucker, Mario Cristobal, Jimbo, James Franklin, Mark Stoops and Dabo as potential targets in addition to the others mentioned

Cristobal has gotten more mileage out of a below .500 lifetime coaching record than any coach in history

Bob Stoops is not taking a job at LSU. Why would Jimbo even consider it? He has history with the AD, but Texas A & M is a better job than LSU and he's making a guaranteed salary of $9 million a year with a raise of $100,000 a year for the next 10 years. Does anyone really think he will go to LSU and take a pay cut?

Scott Woodward better be worrying about his own job. Every boss on the planet would fire any manager who awards a $42 million a year--plus a lot of perks--guaranteed salary to a guy, then fires him 22 months later for not being capable of doing the job. Maybe LSU will put up with it for a while because taxpayers end up paying the bill, but people notice things like that

Any coach like Stoops is smart enough--or has a lawyer smart enough--to see Woodward is on borrowed time and the pressure is going to be on from day one. Some young guy with nothing to lose with take a chance, but I don't see them getting a big name unless they pay a premium

Thank God Kyle Whittingham is at that golden year portion of his career. He would make LSU a yearly force with his philosophy

Scott Woodward is popular here for the obvious reasons.

Cants say he didn’t get TAMU what they wanted…I don’t think he is on borrowed time here but it’s an important hire.

He just pulled Baylor Women’s coach

I've heard whispers that Napier has the inside track after Lane. I wouldn't want Jimbo, Cristobal, Tucker, Franklin or Stoops. I'm not a Kiffen fan but he could absolutely kill it at LSU but it's hard to trust him just yet. Kyle Whittingham gets over looked- he would do great in my opinion as long as he could get the recruits.

I've heard whispers that Napier has the inside track after Lane. I wouldn't want Jimbo, Cristobal, Tucker, Franklin or Stoops. I'm not a Kiffen fan but he could absolutely kill it at LSU but it's hard to trust him just yet. Kyle Whittingham gets over looked- he would do great in my opinion as long as he could get the recruits.

Napier is boring. That offense is terrible.

The interest nationally in Cristobal is incredibly laughable. As I said here a month or so ago he is the West Coast Orgeron. LSU is a great job so I hope for their sake they stay far away from this fraud.

Kiffen should be the guy but he is supposedly close to Orgeron so who knows how that goes. Despite the embarrassing loss this past week Freeze should be high on the list. Aranda might be a solid choice but I need to see a bigger head coaching sample size before landing a job like this.

Pro coach recently unemployed in Vegas could use BR as a nice little rehab stint

LSU writer for the Athletic said there's a large/powerful contingent that wants a coach that has a history of developing QBs

He turned down almost $3 million to be their OC, I think he's a pro guy
Should have prefaced it with "outside of Lane"

BR vs Oxford isn't really a decision for anyone that cares about lifestyle which Lane obviously does

Lane is perfect for Miami but they won't hire him. The names I've heard in connection with that job are laughable which would make sense as they have screwed up every search since Butch went to the NFL.

if A&M is a better job than LSU, then A&M is the most underperforming school in college football history

No doubt about it, they ARE the most under performing school in college football history

No school has more money, no school loves football more, no school has more loyal alums, no school in the country is right in the middle of more high school talent, no school has a better in-game experience, no school has more rabid fans.

aTm won a couple of national titles more than a century ago and won one 82 years ago. By comparison, LSU, which competed with aTm for years as the most under performing team, has won three national titles, under three different coaches, in the last 20 years.

While LSU was doing that, aTm won one conference title in the last 30 years. And during that same time they were 6-14 in bowl games until Jimbo arrived. He has no conference titles, hasn't even come close, but is 3-0 in bowls, and they love him

Which is another reason aTm is a better job--the aTm fans are not insane. If a coach can just make them competitive they will love him and make him the highest paid coach in the land.

Last edited:
I can't believe any AD is stupid enough to hire Bill O'Brien, especially an AD every reporter in the country says is determined to make a big splash with this hire. You cannot be a bigger failure than O'Brien was at Houston and I don't see anything he did at Penn State that indicates he could come close to doing the job at LSU

Fickell might do a great job, but the guy who hired him for his first HC job is now AD at USC. Not sure Fickell even wants the USC job, or if he fits what the USC alums--a VERY powerful group--want, but my guess is if Fickell goes anywhere he goes to USC. If I were Fickell's attorney I'd advise him to remember the old saying--don't mess with happy.

If I were the LSU AD I'd hire Lane in a New York minute.

Two different people told me today the LSU AD said he intended to hire a minority for the job. I don't know if they heard him right, because I don't see a report anywhere he said that

Mark Stoops is interesting and has certainly done very well with what he has had to work with at UK.

I can't believe any AD is stupid enough to hire Bill O'Brien, especially an AD every reporter in the country says is determined to make a big splash with this hire. You cannot be a bigger failure than O'Brien was at Houston and I don't see anything he did at Penn State that indicates he could come close to doing the job at LSU

Fickell might do a great job, but the guy who hired him for his first HC job is now AD at USC. Not sure Fickell even wants the USC job, or if he fits what the USC alums--a VERY powerful group--want, but my guess is if Fickell goes anywhere he goes to USC. If I were Fickell's attorney I'd advise him to remember the old saying--don't mess with happy.

If I were the LSU AD I'd hire Lane in a New York minute.

Two different people told me today the LSU AD said he intended to hire a minority for the job. I don't know if they heard him right, because I don't see a report anywhere he said that
Always a good idea to decide you are hiring a minority instead of just going with the best candidate regardless of race.

I see Fickell staying at Cincy until a big job opens in the midwest. Just don't see him as a USC type and think he would want to stay as far away from the SEC as possible. He is probably hoping that Day goes to the NFL which I doubt ever happens or that Kelly decides to retire so he can go to Notre Dame.

I see Fickell staying at Cincy until a big job opens in the midwest.

Same here. LSU and USC are better jobs in theory, but not in practice. Both pay more, but he is making plenty of money to be happy now, can stay on top indefinitely until one of the jobs you mentioned opens up, and Cincinnati is moving up to a high profile, but not necessarily harder conference.

Kelly looks old now so I don't know how much longer he stays, and someone at one of the plum Midwest jobs may take the LSU or USC jobs

Back