Is it fair that the SEC only plays H. School teams in week 13?

The answer is this, each team should play 1 Power 5 Opponent and MOST OF THEM DO. Yes there are some (TAMU, MSU, Nc State and others) that don't. Thats awful. Then there are some that played a great OOC schedule, FSU is one of them with OK State adding to the Normal Florida game. But then you can look at what they did last 2 year

2013 - Florida/Nevada/Bethune Cookman/Idaho
2012 - Florida/South Florida/Murray State/Savannah State

But to say that LSU schedule is just awful because they play 1 Power 5 and then 3 nobodies. SO DOES 90% of the other Power 5s.
Not to mention one of LSU's "nobodies" in one of those seasons was a true road game (even though we've been told those never happen) against a team that dropped a 70 spot on the ACC champ in the Orange Bowl.

In case you've all forgotten, Ohio State play murderers row every year

How many times in the last 30 years has Florida played a non-conference game out of state? (facetious comment)

In case you've all forgotten, Ohio State play murderers row every year

How many times in the last 30 years has Florida played a non-conference game out of state? (facetious comment)

I can't tell if this is serious or not but so does everybody basically.

But in terms of the FLorida comment, we are playing Michigan in Dallas in 2 years. So that year we will have 2 Power 5 games and there still will be complaining.

I'm not sure anyone has played a worse OOC schedule over the last 3/4 years than nc state. An embarrassment of cakes all over it sans the Tenny game played in Atlanta and the mandated state law that requires state (and UNC) to play ECU.

I'm not sure anyone has played a worse OOC schedule over the last 3/4 years than nc state. An embarrassment of cakes all over it sans the Tenny game played in Atlanta and the mandated state law that requires state (and UNC) to play ECU.

really?

Again...why do games have to be scheduled so far in advance? It's 2104, not 1984...there is no reason games need to be scheduled 5+ yrs in advance.

The answer is this, each team should play 1 Power 5 Opponent and MOST OF THEM DO. Yes there are some (TAMU, MSU, Nc State and others) that don't. Thats awful. Then there are some that played a great OOC schedule, FSU is one of them with OK State adding to the Normal Florida game. But then you can look at what they did last 2 year

2013 - Florida/Nevada/Bethune Cookman/Idaho
2012 - Florida/South Florida/Murray State/Savannah State

But to say that LSU schedule is just awful because they play 1 Power 5 and then 3 nobodies. SO DOES 90% of the other Power 5s.

Great, so they are all guilty of it. That isn't an excuse to say it's okay though...EVERYONE should be clamoring for every Power 5 team to play a real schedule. There's no need to pick on one conference for not doing it (although the SEC does get the benefit of the doubt so they probably should be held to higher standard)...someone needs to step in and either have some type of scheduling reform (that the committee lays out and shows what is needed), or they need to make the playoff a real playoff and include 8 or 16 teams.

Again...why do games have to be scheduled so far in advance? It's 2104, not 1984...there is no reason games need to be scheduled 5+ yrs in advance.

I don't understand this either. My favorites are when both teams, ten years down the road, are going in opposite directions of each other from the time the games were scheduled and the all of a sudden inferior team backs out 1 year prior to playing. Now the decent team is stuck scrambling to field a game and they wind up scheduling a shitty school bc no one is available to play or doesn't want to play them. Pathetic all around.

Whatever perceived bias ESPN has toward the SEC is no worse than what they had toward USC during their run or the Ohio State/Michigan hype machine mentioned previously. The simple solution is to change the channel. The only time I watch ESPN is if they are showing a game I want to watch.

Everyone knows there are other great teams around the country. An SEC fan that says otherwise probably arrived at their opinion using the same amount of rational thought as someone suggesting the SEC has to schedule more difficult OOC games than everyone else just because the committee, or ESPN, thinks they're good.

Who exactly are you looking for, and not seeing, on SEC schedules? And are you under the impression the SEC is the only conference that schedules Sun Belt teams, MAC teams, etc?

Agree to change the channel, and I haven't watched ESPN for many, many years (outside of live games), BUT the problem is that fans changing the channel is one thing...ESPN having influence over the people who are voting on the playoff teams is another, and it's concerning.

Also, just because ESPN trumpeted up other teams, and non-SEC teams in the past, doesn't mean what they do now with the SEC is okay...that's some flawed logic right there. Why can't we just get to a point where the Power 5 teams play other Power 5 teams OOC, and it won't matter whose nuts ESPN has decided to lick?

And no, I, personally, am not under the impression that the SEC is the only conference that schedules the way they do...pretty much ALL of the Power 5 teams do it that way (there are a few exceptions I'm sure)....but VK has a good point that if the SEC is going to somehow get 2 teams into the playoff (or even that it's possible), they should actually have to earn it on the field, and not just through preseason rankings and then ball licking by ESPN.

SEC only plays 61.5% (8 out of 13) of the conference with their 14 team league and 8 league games.

Atleast the PAC 12 plays 82% (9 out of 11). ACC and Big Ten are 73%. Big XII is ofcourse 100%.

I've always been a fan of everyone playing everyone in their league, so naturally I object to large conferences and small % of league games.

By only playing 61.5% of the teams in your league you miss alot of telling cross-over games and teams that represent the divisions don't really deserve to be playing for the title because of the luck of the draw in terms of who they missed on their schedule rather than the quality of teams they actually beat.

Like the way it is setting up this year...weaker east teams vs west teams where all the power is. What if that weak east (I'd say undeserving) upsets the west team and then they get crowned champ? Fraud. It is an inherent problem with all divisional conference title games (which I'm also not a supporter no surprise). However, if you are going to do it atleast try and get as accurate representatives in that game as possible by playing more league games vs one-another.

So the SEC hangs their hat on how tough their league schedules are, but by not playing 5 out of the other 13 teams in the league it ends up where some schedules might be tough while others aren't depending who you draw from cross-over.

SEC strength of schedule in terms of league games isn't always all it's cracked up to be. Some times it is. Just depends on the luck of the crossover draw.

Short answer is NO.

Look at the forum. People make threads every week about the SEC...

It is comical. The SEC is better than every other conference. More players drafted, top recruits, last few championships, etc etc

Fucking get over it

That is 6 games out of a possible 56 non conference games. It is the Presbyterians, UT-Martns,...etc (pay day games). Sprinkle in a power-5. SEC hangs their hat on beating each other. They are awarded pre-season hype rankings. Coupled with ESPNs agenda to drive their own network. Then get the luxury of saying they beat the #1, 2, 3 4...team in the nation. Those rankings are not earned, rather given.
Matter of fact, this is a non-winnable argument. As you will not be able t convince me differently. And I am sure you are steadfast in your beliefs as well. We will just have to agree to disagree.

Or the Citadels?

They have 2 true road game wins against power5 ..... the entire sec.... 14 teams .. 2 true road wins. Arkansas spanked texas tech ( credit Arkansas for scheduling at texas tech .. there was no way to know they would suck this bad ) and auburn found their lucky horseshoe again vs Kansas state in a game they were probably outplayed .. but credit them for going into a tough place against a good team and winning. I think that's it ... 2 .... how can we possibly allow two teams from the same conference when they don't go on the road and play anyone ?? They have a few coming .. uk at ville I think , florida at fsu , southcock at Clemson ...

Again I ask .. what if Marshall would win the SEC? If you don't think they could .. imagine they could .... and ask yourself the question ... What if Marshall would win the SEC?
again fucking stop with this. I get your point and as a Tulane follower I have seen it in 98

But again stop lumping it in....LSU has fucking played all the fuck over the country. And will you bash the Big10 for the "neutral" site at Lambeau when they play Wisconsin? LSU is in Louisiana, not Texas. Not Atlanta. Where is the University of Wisconsin? Close to Green Bay I would assume...

See you in Texas soon, when LSU plays in Austin. As they did in Morgatown, Washington, Arizona yada yada

BUT I like your argument for the small kids...again I followed 1998 like you wouldnt believe...THE problem is, like Tulane that year....the week in week out isnt what the other schools do. I think Marshall could win the ship. But it wouldnt be as fair honestly if they did

I never said it was okay for them to overhype anyone, just pointing out it's what they do, it's what they've done in the past, and they will do so in the future. They are running a business, nothing more.

I agree every team should have to earn it on the field. If the committee is being influenced by what people are saying on ESPN, Fox, CBS, or anywhere else instead of by what they are seeing on the field then they aren't doing their job. Saying the SEC should be held to a different standard because of the committee's incompetence is absurd.

How can you argue that the good teams from smaller conferences should be able to play the bigger schools, but at the same time, the SEC should only schedule power 5 teams?

I'm not...The only way I would endourse this would be to expand the top 4 to 8-16 and have play-in games. I have been against Boise making it to the title game in the past and treated a loss like Mercury Morris. I never felt that scheduling one big boy on the 1st game of the season (one which gives an entire year to prepare) and winning it, warranted enough SOS to allow them in.

This question may have been for CC. If so, he can answer it.

2013: can't be argued. That SOS is as bad, if not worse, than many of the SEC schedules from this year. It is very similar to scheduling GA Southern, only we would have won that game.

2012: we all know what happened right before that season started and it is even mentioned later in this thread. Thank you WVU for putting us in that situation.

The SEC should NOT schedule differently than the remainder of the NCAA. That is not the issue at hand. But lets not annoint them GOAT for the games they are playing. They do not play teams from each confernce in order to stake that claim.

I honestly did not know the LSU schedule (too lazy to look it up on a phone, as that is where I typically post from, on a desk top now), but knew the way SEC scheduled games. Also, figured you as a fan would know that off the top of your head.

The one positive I take from your post with the years past and future is that they keep tax paying money in state. They seem to schedule a lot of in-state games. Save the university money and helps a fellow LA team make some. Too bad you all do not have a viable option in state, as all other teams are all from lower division. I would love to see you all establish a border war with Texas. Each year schedule two of their teams. They have plenty to choose from.

We have uf. I would not mind scheduling UCF and So Fl annually. Have a round robin for the governor's cup. Miami is already on our schedule and has been long before they were in the ACC. Would also like to see those teams schedule uf. Of course that would solve my issue with one SEC team (uf).

...And I am out. I will not respsond to any others, so please direct them elsewhere. Just no longer interested in this thread. GL to everyone on your picks this week and hope we can all get along from this point forward.

How can you argue that the good teams from smaller conferences should be able to play the bigger schools, but at the same time, the SEC should only schedule power 5 teams?

At the heart of my point is that I don't think we have the capability through scheduling a 12 or 13 game season to determine who really are the best conferences definitively. As such, no single conference should get two teams into a four team playoff. If the conference already has a team in the playoff then whoever would be that second team already had their chance to go to the playoff and blew it. The same cannot be said for any conference champion of another conference that would be excluded.

I do think the sec and other power conferences schedule unfairly but on the other hand, the athletic departments of the "smaller conference schools" allow it because they make way more money than a home game brings. I don't blame the SEC for outsmarting every other conference. Good for them.

Just don't pretend any of the systems of the last few decades produce an actual champion

Which years specifically?

North Texas
Washington
Idaho
Towson

TCU (in Dallas)
UAB
Kent St
Furman

Wisconsin (in Houston)
Sam Houston St
UL Monroe
New Mexico St

McNeese St
@ Syracuse
Eastern Michigan
Western Kentucky

Wisconsin (in Green Bay)
Jacksonville St
Southern Miss
South Alabama

Each year is three games that they are at least 99 percent to win. That's awful. I excuse So Miss as they have a history of being much, much better than the last couple years. I think there's a substantial difference between playing Sun Belt and playing a AAC or MWC team. You at least have to show up to beat most of the latter. I honestly do not like the 9 game conf schedule b/c conf games get a little stale to me. However, that assumes that you're playing at least two real games out of your 4 nonconf and sadly, that just isn't the case any more. Sad.

it is a reasonable question to ask..What do you guys think

I think the question is totally unreasonable. It's the best by far. The SEC East is comparable to the PAC or Big 12, but the SEC West is far above the rest.

I think the question is totally unreasonable. It's the best by far. The SEC East is comparable to the PAC or Big 12, but the SEC West is far above the rest.

Now you're just being silly to be silly.

The SEC East is terrible. Georgia the only team even reasonably good and they just got boatraced by a team running three plays two wks ago.

Florida State to play Ole Miss in a neutral site game on Labor Day in 2016.

I'm sure someone will be able to tell us how this is great scheduling, and showing no fear, on the part of FSU/ACC and a sign of putridness by Ole Miss/SEC.

so did the person that said the SEC East is on par with the Pac 12 and Big 12 still agree?

Like silky says" imma going sip some tea"

so did the person that said the SEC East is on par with the Pac 12 and Big 12 still agree?

Like silky says" imma going sip some tea"

Why does it bother you and others so much? It is what it is.

Alabama and LSU go 6-3 or whatever and people say what a great game of two defenses. Va tech and Wake go 0-0 and make fun of the ACC? this is the double standard. I'm still hoping that the SEC gets left out of the playoff

I haven't read the thread but here are my thoughts.....

Late season FCS body bag games aren't quite the same as early in the year OOC games. As a fan I would much rather see a UCLA/USC meaningful game vs UF/insert crap team here game in late November.

Larry Scott had the chance to make the PAC 12 an 8 game schedule when he took over and he went with 9. I think it puts the PAC 12 at a disadvantage when compared to the SEC only playing 8 as it's one more potential loss for the teams vs some body bad opponent. Until the NCAA mandates an 8 or 9 game conference schedule there will be disparity. I'd love it to be the same for all conferences personally. That being said, the conferences that play 9 have the option of only playing 8 if they choose to do so.

I'm not sure why it matters when teams play FCS opponents, whether it's in Sept or Nov. I hate those games, but it's hard to be too critical when the FCS teams use the money to do stuff like add lights to their field, or have more scholarships to offer. It's a necessary evil in some respects. I'd be all for a 9 game conference schedule in the SEC, but the coaches don't want it. 13-1 against at the last SEC meeting.

You can call it a double standard, but one of those games had 25 or so defensive players get drafted. Wonder how many from Wake/Va Tech will? Sometimes it's great defense. Other times it's bad offense.

The solution is simple. 8 conferences and the 8 conference champions play in the playoffs. Then we remove all need for debate about fcs scheduling or how great or bad any conference is. ... and .... wait for it .. you get an actual champion. The way we do it now, you do not.

Too bad w carolina suffered that early injury ... cost them the game against bama .....

The SEC has a system and relies on high rankings in the preseason. Look at how many multiple loss teams are in the Top 25 in the SEC. It gives them an advantage if their teams lose conference games. Mizzou for example. A loss to Indiana, the basketball school, still has them ahead of a 3 loss team like OU. While OU is not a great team, their loses come to quality teams. Mizzou has not a single quality win. They do have wins against "ranked" teams, which are South Carolina and fvcking Aggy. The high rankings in the preseason give them an advantage. Do you remember how impressive Aggys win over USCe was during week 1? that catapulted Aggy into the top 10. Now look at both teams.

That is why the schedule weak teams in the later part of the season, to salvage any teams that remain up in the rankings. We really need to get rid of the preseason rankings, or develop a better system. I can honestly see Miss State losing to Oregon, and Alabama losing to FSU. I hope that is the match-ups in the playoffs. I have a feeling they make sure an SEC team is #1 and #4 to ensure at least one SEC gets into the playoff.

The SEC has a system and relies on high rankings in the preseason. Look at how many multiple loss teams are in the Top 25 in the SEC. It gives them an advantage if their teams lose conference games. Mizzou for example. A loss to Indiana, the basketball school, still has them ahead of a 3 loss team like OU. While OU is not a great team, their loses come to quality teams. Mizzou has not a single quality win. They do have wins against "ranked" teams, which are South Carolina and fvcking Aggy. The high rankings in the preseason give them an advantage. Do you remember how impressive Aggys win over USCe was during week 1? that catapulted Aggy into the top 10. Now look at both teams.

That is why the schedule weak teams in the later part of the season, to salvage any teams that remain up in the rankings. We really need to get rid of the preseason rankings, or develop a better system. I can honestly see Miss State losing to Oregon, and Alabama losing to FSU. I hope that is the match-ups in the playoffs. I have a feeling they make sure an SEC team is #1 and #4 to ensure at least one SEC gets into the playoff.

YUP

The tv networks will never allow the end of preseason rankings. Kyle is right that having only conference champions, whether it's 4, 6, or 8 is the only "fair" way, but it's too late for that. No conference will agree that, not just the SEC

A two loss team is ranked ahead of a 3 loss team. Has nothing to do with preseason rankings.

It's just dumb at this point. Ive said Ole Miss was shit all year,.......Arkansas has a biggest ofeensive line in the world....cfb or pro

I was never SEC fan guy

Now I am

Conference Dominance.....the others are shit

so Fla St won the last one...respect to them

who was it before? was it in the 1990s?

Alabama and LSU go 6-3 or whatever and people say what a great game of two defenses. Va tech and Wake go 0-0 and make fun of the ACC? this is the double standard. I'm still hoping that the SEC gets left out of the playoff
if you are that retarded there is no hope. I mean seriously.

I haven't read the thread but here are my thoughts.....

Late season FCS body bag games aren't quite the same as early in the year OOC games. As a fan I would much rather see a UCLA/USC meaningful game vs UF/insert crap team here game in late November.

Larry Scott had the chance to make the PAC 12 an 8 game schedule when he took over and he went with 9. I think it puts the PAC 12 at a disadvantage when compared to the SEC only playing 8 as it's one more potential loss for the teams vs some body bad opponent. Until the NCAA mandates an 8 or 9 game conference schedule there will be disparity. I'd love it to be the same for all conferences personally. That being said, the conferences that play 9 have the option of only playing 8 if they choose to do so.
SEC should play 9 pure and simple

I bet it changes soon

I'm not sure why it matters when teams play FCS opponents, whether it's in Sept or Nov. I hate those games, but it's hard to be too critical when the FCS teams use the money to do stuff like add lights to their field, or have more scholarships to offer. It's a necessary evil in some respects. I'd be all for a 9 game conference schedule in the SEC, but the coaches don't want it. 13-1 against at the last SEC meeting.

You can call it a double standard, but one of those games had 25 or so defensive players get drafted. Wonder how many from Wake/Va Tech will? Sometimes it's great defense. Other times it's bad offense.

not kidding but if someone doesnt know the difference they are mentally challenged or being obtuse or being argumentative

sip dick

sorry ass conferences....lol

wont get a team in the show

I knew it would come out sooner or later, gotta give you credit took you 14 weeks....What you going tell us next , that you don't need to play a strong non-conference because your conference is so good?

Now Arkansas is good, heard it all.

SEC should play 9 pure and simple

I bet it changes soon

Only coach in favor is Saban. Might take a while to get the rest on board.

But according to CTG, the SEC should play 9 conference games and 6 non-conference against only division winners from power 5 conferences

Back