• PICK CLUB WEEK #1 LINES ARE POSTED!

Important Breaking Ou News!!!!!!!

From SI:

Oklahoma bombshell

Bomar scandal will rock Sooners in 2006 and beyond

Posted: Wednesday August 2, 2006 10:50PM; Updated: Wednesday August 2, 2006 11:49PM

1.gif
T1_RhettBomar2_SI.jpg

Rhett Bomar was expected to lead the Sooners to the Big 12 title this season.
Bob Rosato/SI

1.gif
1.gif
advertisement_down.gif

1.gif

Usually, August is about the most upbeat month of the year on a college football fan's calendar. The start of practice is here, the first game is now so close you can smell it and every team in the country is still in the hunt for a championship.
This August, however, is off to a Debbie Downer-style start for fans of several of the nation's powerhouses. It's only been two days, and already the headlines section of this Web site's college football page reads like a horror novel. Alleged steroid use at USC. Arrests at Tennessee. Key players suspended for big games at Miami and Auburn.
While I don't want to make light of any of these situations, it's safe to say that none come close to matching the magnitude of Oklahoma quarterback Rhett Bomar's stunning dismissal Wednesday. Not since the infamous Maurice Clarett's suspension on the eve of the 2003 season has such an important player on such a high-profile team suddenly vanished from the landscape. And as the details of Bomar and banished teammate J.D. Quinn's transgressions have begun to leak, it's clear that this scandal is every bit as seedy, if not more so, than Clarett's.
According to reports, Bomar had an arrangement with an OU-friendly car dealership that paid him thousands of dollars for performing little-to-no work. It's the kind of thing so brazen in its stupidity that you wonder how on Earth the involved parties thought they could get away with it, and yet, none of us are naïve enough to think there aren't plenty of others who do.
As long as there are college football boosters, there will be booster scandals. It comes with the territory. By their very definition, these are the people most zealous about their favorite team, and that eagerness motivates them to do whatever they can to help the cause. Unfortunately, however, the misguided ones often wind up doing far more harm to their cherished team than any benefit they could have provided.
In this case, if the allegations are true, the former proprietors of Big Red Sports/Imports (which has since been sold to an Oklahoma City conglomerate), not to mention Bomar himself, have directly jeopardized the future of their beloved Sooners. We don't know at this point whether the program will face NCAA sanctions. We do know it has lost its projected quarterback for not only this coming season but the next two as well. Not just any quarterback, mind you -- the top-rated high school quarterback in the country three years ago, a guy who figured to shatter nearly every school passing record by the time his playing days were done.
In the short term, Oklahoma might not suffer as badly as you'd think. As luck would have it, the Sooners happen to have a veteran quarterback on their roster, fifth-year senior Paul Thompson, though he's been practicing and playing at receiver for the past year. Thompson saw considerable action in 2003 and '04 in relief of Jason White back when OU was beating people 53-7 and 52-9 and was originally the starter coming out of fall camp last season before Bomar supplanted him.

1.gif

1.gif
T1_PaulThomspon_SI.jpg

Paul Thompson played quarterback for the Sooners in the spring of 2005 (above) but had since moved to wide receiver.
Darren Carroll/SI

1.gif
advertisement_down.gif

1.gif

While it's hardly ideal to have to rejigger your entire offense on three weeks' notice, one could easily see offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson employing the more mobile Thompson out of spread formations the way he did with Zak Kustok at Northwestern in 2000-01. And it's not like OU was going to be passing the ball 35 times a game what with Adrian Peterson lining up in its backfield. So long as the Sooners can regroup from the shock of this, they can still contend for the Big 12 title in 2006.
What every OU fan should be frightened about right now, however, is 2007 and beyond. If things had gone according to plan, Bomar by then would have had two years of experience under his belt and the Sooners' cast of talented young receivers, led by Malcolm Kelly, would have established themselves as veterans. In the likely event that Peterson turns pro early, OU would have been able to naturally morph back into a passing team.
Because of Bomar's presence, however, quarterback had not been a big recruiting priority for Oklahoma. After Thompson, the Sooners are down to unimpressive juco transfer Joey Halzle and incoming true freshman Sam Bradford, Scout.com's 17th-rated QB in last year's class. The guy that would have taken over, former stud recruit Tommy Grady, bailed out following Bomar's ascension last year and is currently battling for Utah's QB job. Barring a big-name transfer or heralded blue-chipper arriving between now and then, either Halzle or Bradford will be the starting quarterback next season. (OU is not currently listed among the favorites of any current top-25 QB prospects, though that may change now.)
But the real impact of Bomar's folly is the irreparable stain it will leave on Bob Stoops' previously squeaky-clean program, though you have to give the guy props for reacting the way he did. Stoops didn't have to throw his star player off the team. Normal protocol in such situations is suspension and restitution, a la Troy Smith's two-game ban at Ohio State last year. Whether it was the ludicrous amount of money involved, the fact that Bomar has run afoul of his coach twice before with a pair of possession-of-alcohol arrests or just wanting to send a message, Stoops went ahead and booted one of his most valuable players. "I firmly believe that our program is stronger than any individual player, and that a championship program cannot compromise its values," he said in a statement.
But the program isn't without blame in this mess, either. One has to wonder how such a thing was able to go on in the first place. This wasn't a case of Bomar receiving secret handouts from some nefarious mystery figure. If the reports are to believed, he was an actual salaried employee of the car dealership. And not just any car dealership -- the same one that provides free rides to OU coaches and athletics staff (most schools have similar arrangements). And the same one that raised eyebrows in April when it was revealed that Peterson had been allowed to "return" a pre-owned Lexus from there after driving it for several weeks (Peterson was cleared of any wrong-doing because then-owner Brad McRae deemed the arrangement a "standard operating business practice.")
Schools like Oklahoma employ compliance people for the sole purpose of monitoring ticking time bombs like this one. While it's unreasonable to expect them to know every intimate detail of every athlete in their department, the star quarterback working at the shady car dealership should have raised red flags from day one.
Ultimately, Stoops and his program will have to deal with the fallout for years to come. NCAA sanctions are possible, but not likely, unless an investigation uncovers university involvement and/or a repeated pattern of such abuses. (The Wisconsin "Shoe Box" scandal of a few years back comes to mind -- the school received five years' probation.) Rival coaches will use it against him in recruiting. And media outlets will draw inevitable, albeit ludicrous comparisons to the Barry Switzer/Charles Thompson/Brian Bosworth-era "bad boy" Sooners.
Stoops has a far more pressing concern than any of those, however. Fall camp starts Thursday, and two expected offensive starters -- including the quarterback -- won't be there. So much for the happy vibes of August.

Stewart20 said:
RJ.....Really? A deposition of a convict. Who are you suing for the wrongful death? Surely you aren't getting any money from some gangbanger?

The action is against the owner and property manager of the apartment complex for failure to maintain and adequate security. Long story but this complex is in the middle of Crip territory and is the site of numerous incidents. So is the neighboring trolley station. Criminal defendant walked through a gate that had its' lock punched out and was never repaired. Bars were also missing from the fence between the trolley and the property and gangmembers used to get in there too.

Very interesting case.

More rumors...

A guy at my work was on the O-Line at Grand Prairie and he called Rhett today...He said that Rhett was pissed because he and Quinn covered for AD and then got kicked out...He said it goes alot deeper too and he plans to expose everyone...This was from his mouth I dont know if he was blowing off steam or if he was serious but this could be very bad

SHSUHorn said:
More rumors...

A guy at my work was on the O-Line at Grand Prairie and he called Rhett today...He said that Rhett was pissed because he and Quinn covered for AD and then got kicked out...He said it goes alot deeper too and he plans to expose everyone...This was from his mouth I dont know if he was blowing off steam or if he was serious but this could be very bad

This will either be it or it will get very ugly.

Alright kids, off to go see what nightlife this place has (won't rival Horn's place; BTW Horn I'll be out Thanksgiving weekend in Houston and will stop by on Saturday on my way to Galveston--I'll remind you closer to that date). I'll check out the latest afterwards.

Stewart20 said:
What do think the over/under will be now for week 1? We know that UAB won't be able to score much.

Pinny usually puts out prop bets that give you an opportunity to choose a teams O/U as well. I'd love to have a UAB TOTAL at 14 or better. I'd take the UNDER BIG time!

I'm thinking the TOTAL will likely be around 44.

rjurewitz said:
Like that, JOB? Someone on Hornfans already dubbed it The Booster Bowl.

I just hate that these contracts are so far in advance.

I'm looking forward to 2010 (or is it 2011?) when Texas travels to its' second home stadium, the Rose Bowl, to play UCLA. SoCal Texas Exes will represent.

We have @ WAS in 07..then home/home w/ Miami, USC, and CAL set up...

great to watch but damn tough every year...

rjurewitz said:
Oh, shit. Then I've got my bias cross-exam of you already done. Next witness.

You'll love that I'm sitting in a hotel in Susanville, CA (pop. 17,000--which is puny for California) waiting to take the deposition of a Blood gang member at High Desert Prison for my wrongful death case. Homeboy came into my client's apartment complex with a pump 12 gauge, pulled it on her 17 year old borderline retarded child, asked him if he banged, pulled the trigger (misfire), then chased him into a stairwell where he unloaded another round of OO into his side letting him bleed to death. Then he strolls out of the complex like nothing happened. I have video of him leaving from the nearby trolley station. Cool motherfucker.

This is a wasted trip as he'll take the 5th but I have to do it anyway. Unfortunately it's going to cost me because CHP got me going 100 in a 65 up here. That's a big ticket.

you'd love "the Lincoln Lawyer" by Michael Connely..just read it and it's priceless...

The only real bad thing that this happened to OU was the potentiol to fark this. OU has the best guys hands down in photoshopping shit like this. alabama is a distant second.

Blame falls squarely on Bomar, Quinn

By John Rohde
Turns out the Oklahoma football team has a quality punter after all.
Bob Stoops punted Rhett Bomar and J.D. Quinn off the team Wednesday.
And if state law permits, Stoops no doubt would like to punt a conniving, jock-sniffing OU booster across state lines as well.
Quarterback and the offensive line - two positions where the Sooners could ill-afford to take a hit - just got blind-sided.
Bomar and Quinn got precisely what they deserved.
So don’t blame Stoops, don’t blame athletic director Joe Castiglione and don’t blame school president David Boren. Instead, you should thank them.
If you want to blame somebody for the Sooners’ latest tango with trouble, blame Bomar, Quinn and a bumpkin booster.
And to a certain extent, blame Kelvin Sampson.
Sooner athletics remain squarely in the crosshairs of the NCAA following its recent investigation into the men’s basketball program. Wounds remain fresh for OU’s compliance department.
The NCAA sniffed out Sampson’s oversized phone bills and didn’t like what it smelled.
The Sampson case officially is closed, but the stench still lingers.
Sampson revived the school’s renegade reputation when he and his staff combined to make 577 impermissible phone calls in a four-year span.
And because sports fans love to hold grudges, that unmistakable aroma of nationwide discontent toward the Sooners is celebrating its 50th anniversary.
The NCAA major infraction rap sheet has six cases against OU - Jan. 11, 1956; Jan. 11, 1960; Sept. 20, 1973; Nov. 11, 1980; Dec. 19, 1988; and May 25, 2006.
In an effort to prevent a seventh entry, Bomar and Quinn wisely got booted.
In the Sampson case, OU acted swiftly with self-imposed sanctions. As a result, the school managed to escape the NCAA’s dreaded “lack of institutional control” tag, which is the insult of all insults.
What Castiglione and Co. did in the Sampson case was a pre-emptive strike (men’s and women’s gymnastics also were implicated).
What Castiglione and Co. did Wednesday with Bomar and Quinn was preventative maintenance.
If there is a problem, get rid of it. Be it player, coach or booster. And that’s precisely what OU did.
Had the Sampson investigation not occurred, would Bomar and Quinn still have been kicked off the football team? Presumably yes.
But since the Sampson investigation did occur, the answer unequivocally became yes.
There is no wiggle room these days in the OU compliance office, which incidentally received high praise from NCAA officials for its internal handling of the Sampson affair.
Until Sampson’s stumble, the school had gone 18 years without a major violation.
Now thanks to Bomar and Quinn, the NCAA no doubt will soon pay a visit, if it hasn’t already.
Don’t hold your breath for Bomar’s return. He’s gone. Permanently. As he should be. Ditto for Quinn.
The mere thought of possibly reinstating either player would turn up the stink meter full-blast.
With his partying, drinking and ill-gotten gains, Bomar is beginning to resemble Pigpen from Peanuts.
A dirty cloud surrounds him. Bomar won’t be welcome at any NCAA institution - unless it’s an incredibly stupid one.
Therefore, NAIA ball awaits Bomar and Quinn.
In ruining their own reputations, Bomar and Quinn have sabotaged everyone else associated with OU.
Those who remain true to the Sooners will now bear the brunt of jokes, snickers and innuendo.
Sadly, this has been going on for 50 years.
Despite Bud Wilkinson and Barry Switzer having an NCAA rap sheet, OU fans’ reverence remained unwavering.
The same no doubt will hold true for Stoops.
The final stop on the annual Sooner Caravan will be held at 6:30 tonight in the National Cowboy and Western History Museum.
The standing ovation Stoops was going to receive anyway will last a little bit longer and sound a little bit louder.
Stoops has earned that standing O.
It was a helluva punt. John Rohde: 475-3314, jrohde@oklahoman.com; John Rohde can be heard Monday-Friday from 6-7 p.m. on WWLS-FM 104.9 and WWLS-AM 640, and on KYAL-AM 1550 in Tulsa.

Who's OU's next quarterback?

Who will take the first snap when OU opens the season Sept. 2 against Alabama-Birmingham?
Here are the contenders:
Joey Halzle: Juco transfer from California.
Upside: After a slow start in Spring practices, Halzle found a rhythm in later workouts, regularly hitting a high percentage of passes.
Downside: With a chance to really make an impression, he struggled in the spring game, completing just 8 of 21 attempts for 69 yards and tossing three interceptions.
Paul Thompson: Former quarterback turned receiver.
Upside: Thompson looked good last year in the preseason, good enough to win the job from Bomar initially, even if it didn’t last past the Sooners first game.
Downside: The loss to TCU in the opener, when he missed an open receiver early and fumbled away a scoring chance, left a bad taste.
Sam Bradford: True freshman from Putnam North.
Upside: Played in a passing offense at North, where he threw for 2,422 yards and 19 TDs as a senior.
Downside: He’s a true freshman. And he’s no Jamelle Holieway.

Word coming down tonight is that John Brantley will rethink his verbal committment to Texas and will take a visit to Oklahoma.

Sorry, Longhorns.
sgrin.gif

I think Thompson stays at WR because he's a SR and his opportunity at the next level will be at WR not QB.

Halzle JUCO team went 1-9 last year.

PlayWithMe said:
Word coming down tonight is that John Brantley will rethink his verbal committment to Texas and will take a visit to Oklahoma.

Sorry, Longhorns.
sgrin.gif

Funny.

There are so mnay reports but there might be more dismassals and suspensions. Supposedly AP did take money but nowhere close to the extent of Bomar and Quinn.

Hartley the K, and Wolfe are the two big names being floated around that they will be kicked off next.

SHSUHorn said:
I think Thompson stays at WR because he's a SR and his opportunity at the next level will be at WR not QB.

Really? If that's the case, they're 8-4 at best this year. With Thompson they at least have a shot. He at least knows the offense (yes, I know Halzle was in this spring, but it's not the same as in combat).

If OU was smart they'd go after Jon Chiles the other 5 star recruit QB and #1 athlete prospect in the country. He's only three hours away in DFW.

REVISED CFN OU Prediction

Oklahoma Sooners[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1]
Preview 2006
[/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=-1]- 2006 Oklahoma Offense Breakdown
- 2006 Oklahoma Defense Breakdown
- 2006 Oklahoma Depth Chart
- 2006 Oklahoma Further Analysis
- 2005 Oklahoma Preview
[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]
Oklahoma%20-%20Rufus%20Alexander2%20HB.gif
By
[FONT=verdana, arial,
sans serif][SIZE=-1] [/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=verdana, arial,
sans serif][SIZE=-1]Pete Fiutak[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial,
sans serif][SIZE=-1]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[SIZE=-1]Was last season just a transition with such a major turnover of talent, or was it a sign that Oklahoma has fallen back in the pack after setting a ridiculously high standard?

[/SIZE]
[SIZE=-1]8-4 and a Holiday Bowl win over Oregon, the Pac 10's second best team, would be considered a major success at most places, but it's not going to cut it for a program that spent two straight seasons playing for the national title. However, it wasn't nearly the down year that many believed it was. [/SIZE][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1]

First there was the schedule, which arguably turned out to be among the toughest in college football history with eight of the 12 games played against teams that finished with winning records, six games against teams that finished with nine wins or more, three games against conference champions (TCU, Texas and Tulsa) and six against eventual bowl winners.

Of the four losses, one was to the eventual national champion (Texas), one was on the road on a controversial final play to lose by two (Texas Tech), and two (TCU and at UCLA) came before OU was close to the team it became at the end of last year. [/SIZE]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1]Free live college football scores
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Head coach: Bob Stoops
8th year: 75-16
Returning Lettermen:
Off. 14, Def. 17, ST 1
Lettermen Lost: 19
[/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Ten Best Sooner Players
1. RB Adrian Peterson, Jr.
2. LB Rufus Alexander, Sr.
3. DE Larry Birdine, Sr.
4. DE
[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]C.J. Ah You, Sr. [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
5. LB Zach Latimer, Sr.
6. CB D.J. Wolfe, Jr.
7. DE
[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Calvin Thibodeaux, Sr. [/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]
8. CB Reggie Smith, Soph.
9. OT Chris Messner, Sr.
10. LB Demarrio Pleasant, Jr.
[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]
2006 Schedule
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]CFN Prediction: coming[/FONT]
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]9/2[/FONT]
[/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]UAB[/FONT][/FONT][/SIZE][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]9/9[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Washington[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]9/[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]16[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]at Oregon[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]9/23[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]MTSU[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]10/7[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]vs. Texas[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]10/14[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Iowa State[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]10/21[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Colorado[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]10/28[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]at Missouri[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]11/4[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]at Texas A&M[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]11/1[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][SIZE=-1]1[/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Texas Tech[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]11/18[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]at Baylor[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]11/25[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]at Oklahoma State[/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]
2005 Schedule
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]CFN Prediction: 9-2
2005 Record: 8-4
[/FONT]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif]
Preview 2005 predicted wins
[/FONT]​
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica]9/[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]3[/FONT]
[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]TCU[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] L 17-10[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]9/10[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Tulsa[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] W 31-15[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]9/17[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]at UCLA[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] L 41-24[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]10/1[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Kansas State[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] W 43-21[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]10/8[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Texas [/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]L 45-12[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]10/[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]15[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]at Kansas[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] W 19-3[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]10/22[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Baylor[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] W 37-30 2OT[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]10/2[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]9[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]at Nebraska[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] W 31-24[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]11/12[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Texas A&M[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] W 36-30[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]11/19[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]at Texas Tech L 23-21[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]11/[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]26[/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Oklahoma St[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica] W 42-14[/FONT][/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]1[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]2/29[/FONT][FONT=Arial, Helvetica][FONT=Arial, Helvetica]Holiday Bowl
Oregon W 17-14[/FONT]
[/FONT][SIZE=-1]The schedule is once again tough, but inexperience can no longer be used as an excuse with 18 players with starting experience returning, almost too many talented sophomores to count in the receiving corps and secondary, arguably the best defensive ends in America, and one of the nation's best linebacking corps, and an all-world running back in Adrian Peterson who's fresh and ready to carry the load.
[/SIZE]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1]So is this a national title caliber team? [/SIZE][/FONT]Yes, but there are still too many question marks on the offensive line and with the quarterback situation now that Rhett Bomar is gone to assume it’ll be an easy run to a third championship game in four seasons. 2007 is when the team should be truly ready to explode and become a juggernaut again. [FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1]

But while the expectations will be sky-high for a return to greatness, the one year off, and the national title season from Texas, might have done wonders to dial things down a little bit in Norman. Now the Longhorns are seen as the favorites to repeat as Big 12 South champions and OU can play the role of the underdog hunter, something it does extremely well under head coach Bob Stoops. No, losing to Texas again won't be acceptable, but the pressure isn't quite there like it was a few years ago.

Even so, the Sooners have to get back the swagger than made them the baddest boys on the block when they were crushing and killing over Stoops' first seven years. That's where the Holiday Bowl win comes in. Oregon was the jilted BCS team with something to prove, OU was the team that wasn't supposed to be ready for primetime thanks to all the youth and inexperience. But the Sooners came up with a brilliant defensive performance to send the team into the off-season with a little bit of an attitude.

If OU can combine any positive carry-over from the post-season and get all the good young talents to jell, the future, and the recent past, could be now.

The Schedule:
[/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=-1]It's not nearly the killer of last year, but there are landmines beginning with the Holiday Bowl rematch with Oregon in Autzen Stadium. A win there will mean a 4-0 record before the showdown with Texas. The big concern after the two big early tests will be the second half with four road games in the final five. Fortunately, the toughest game over the second half of the season is Texas Tech, and that's in Norman. If the Sooners are good enough to beat Oregon at Oregon, they'll [/SIZE][SIZE=-1]be good enough to win on the road against teams like Missouri and Texas A&M.[/SIZE][FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1]Best Offensive Player: Junior RB Adrian Peterson. He's saying it's not a given he'll be off to the big league next year, but it'll be a shock if he sticks around to put another 300+ carries of mileage on. He's already one of the favorites for the Heisman and the accolades won't stop coming all season long, so watch as many try to look for the negatives and the knocks[/SIZE][/FONT][SIZE=-1].
[/SIZE]
[FONT=verdana, arial, sans serif][SIZE=-1]Best Defensive Player: Senior LB Rufus Alexander. He does everything well from stopping the run to rushing the passer to dropping into pass coverage. He'll be on the Butkus Award short list and should be in the hunt for Big 12 Defensive Player of the Year honors.
Key player to a successful season: The entire offensive line. Everything is in place on defense, the offensive backfield will be great, the receiving corps should be solid, and the kicking game will turn out to be fine. Everything will fall apart if all the new starters up front aren't tremendous by the time the Oregon and Texas games roll around.
The season will be a success if ... OU wins the Big 12 title. There are just enough holes to prevent a trip to the national championship game, but a win over Texas on the way to a conference championship would do wonders after last year's slip.
Key game: October 7 vs. Texas. Last year's 45-12 drubbing can be chalked up to a hurt Adrian Peterson, a not-ready-yet Rhett Bomar, and the magical Longhorn season. Two straight losses would mean the hex Stoops once held over Mack Brown would officially be over, but a win would mean last year might have just been a fluky convergence of everything right happening for the orange side of the field.
[/SIZE][/FONT]
[/SIZE][/FONT]

REVISED CFN Top 10

Tennessee%20-%20Arian%20Foster%20SMALL.gif
10. Tennessee
Tennessee PreviewPredicted Finish: 9-3 2005 Predicted Finish: 9-2 2005 Record: 5-6
Why Tennessee should be No. 1 ... There are few teams in America that can match the overall speed and athleticism of the 2006 Vols, but all the skills have to translate into better overall play and, of course, wins. The offense can't be any worse, and should be a force with new/old offensive coordinator David Cutcliffe taking back his offensive coordinator job. The running backs can fly, the receivers are even faster, and the line is bigger than more NFL front walls. If quarterback Erik Ainge is merely competent, and the defense can avoid falling off the map after losing six of the starters on the front seven, Tennessee will be back to being Tennessee.
Why Tennessee isn't No. 1 ... Did you watch Tennessee last year? It's asking a lot for all the top recruiting classes to pay off in a big way on defense with six of the starters on the front seven needing to be replaced including the entire linebacking corps. It might also be asking the world for Ainge to be night-and-day better.
Relative Strengths: running back, receiver Relative Weaknesses: linebacker, offensive line

Florida%20-%20Chris%20Leak%20SMALL.gif
9. Florida
Florida PreviewPredicted Finish: 10-2 2005 Predicted Finish: 9-2 2005 Record: 9-3
Why Florida should be No. 1 ...
The D finished ninth in the nation and allowed a mere 18.8 points per game, and it should be even better if injuries don't strike early at linebacker and corner. There's enough talent on the line to fill out the All-SEC team without a problem. Brandon Siler and Earl Everett form one of the nation's best linebacking tandems, and the safeties, led by Reggie Nelson, should be fantastic. Chris Leak might not be the perfect spread quarterback, but he's a good talent who should be more productive making more plays on the move than in the past.
Why Florida isn't No. 1 ...
Are the pieces in place yet? That will be the focus all season as fans are waiting for the Gator offense to explode, but considering the potential issues on the offensive line and the mediocre corps of running backs, the program might be another year away. This might be one of the best teams in the country, but it can all but forget about the national title thanks to a brutal schedule.
Relative Strengths: defensive line, quarterback Relative Weaknesses: running back, offensive line

Oklahoma%20-%20Rufus%20Alexander%20AA.gif
8. Oklahoma
Oklahoma PreviewPredicted Finish: 10-2 2005 Predicted Finish: 9-2 2005 Record: 8-4
Why Oklahoma should be No. 1 ... Adrian Peterson, Adrian Peterson, Adrian Peterson. The ultra-talented running back is the type of star good enough to carry the team on his back against a relatively average schedule.
The defense should be among the best in America even though there aren't too many sure-fire, household name All-Americans.[FONT=verdana, arial,
sans serif] The pass rush should be unstoppable with too many good ends to get on the field at any one time.
Why Oklahoma isn't No. 1 ... After a down year, there are still too many question marks on the offensive line and the quarterback situation. Will defenses load up on the run after QB Rhett Bomar got booted? What happens when Peterson has 150 carries by midseason? If he goes down for any time, forget about a national title. 2007 is when the team should be truly ready to explode and become a juggernaut again.
Relative Strengths: running back, defensive line Relative Weaknesses: offensive line, special teams

California%20-%20Justin%20Forsett%20SMALL.gif
7. California
California PreviewPredicted Finish: 9-3 2005 Predicted Finish: 9-2 2005 Record: 8-4
Why Cal should be No. 1 ... There are few teams with more speed among the starters with an array of talents that would litter the All-America lists if they played in one of the other BCS conferences. DT Brandon Mebane, CB Daymeion Hughes and LB Desmond Bishop will be among the best in the nation at their respective positions, and RB Marshawn Lynch deserves Heisman consideration from day one. The quarterback situation will sort itself out with Nate Longshore ready to steady the four-man race, Lynch and Justin Forsett combine to form one of the nation's top tailback duos, and the receivers are among the fastest in America. The defense will be a sack machine with too many good ends for one team, Mebane an all-star in the middle, and one of the best linebacking corps in the nation.
Why Cal isn't No. 1 ... While there are plenty of quarterback options, there is still a question whether or not anyone can be consistent. The offensive line could be an issue.
Tackle Ryan O'Callaghan and center Marvin Philip were two of the best linemen in the nation and won't be easily replaced.
Relative Strengths: running back, linebacker Relative Weaknesses: offensive line, secondary

LSU%20-%20JaMarcus%20Russell%20SMALL.gif
6. LSU
LSU PreviewPredicted Finish: 10-2 2005 Predicted Finish: 10-1 2005 Record: 11-2
Why LSU should be No. 1 ... The defense will be amazing as long as tackles Glen Dorsey, Charles Alexander and Marlon Favorite do a spot on impersonation of Claude Wroten and Kyle Williams. As long as the starting linebackers stay healthy, they'll be killers. LaRon Landry and Jessie Daniels are NFL safeties spending time in the college ranks, and corner Chevis Jackson is an All-SEC playmaker waiting to break out. There's enough speed and skill on offense to simply outathletic most teams.
Why LSU isn't No. 1 ... The quarterback situation has to be settled and air-tight shut as soon as possible. Matt Flynn and Ryan Perrilloux are more than capable of leading LSU to an SEC title, but if JaMarcus Russell has to look over his shoulder every time he tried to throw into triple coverage, the offense won't run smoothly. Running back is a question mark with the top two backs coming off of torn ACLs, the lightning fast receiving corps has to make even more big plays and live up to all of its talent, and the offensive line has to deal with the loss of three stars while trying to get more push for the running game.
Relative Strengths: secondary, quarterback Relative Weaknesses: offensive line, linebacker

Auburn%20-%20Kenny%20Irons2%20SMALL.gif
5. Auburn
Auburn PreviewPredicted Finish: 11-1 2005 Predicted Finish: 9-2 2005 Record: 9-3
Why Auburn should be No. 1 ... [SIZE=-1]Auburn loses several good starters, but none of them, not even four of the top five receivers or All-America offensive tackle Marcus McNeill, are irreplaceable.
Out with the old, in with near mirror images of the players who left. In other words, Auburn should be even better than last year good enough talent, and a good enough schedule, to reasonably think about a national title.
Why Auburn isn't No. 1 ... The defense is a bit shaky at tackle and safety hoping good prospects can produce right away. The offense needs WR Courtney Taylor to regain his 2004 form and is in huge trouble if there's an injury problem among the starters on the offensive line. The jury is still out on whether or not Brandon Cox is a national title-level quarterback.
Relative Strengths: running back, secondary Relative Weaknesses: special teams, receiver

Miami%20-%20Kyle%20Wright%20SMALL.gif
4. Miami
Miami PreviewPredicted Finish: 11-1 2005 Predicted Finish: 10-1 2005 Record: 9-3
Why Miami should be No. 1 ...
The defense will once again be among the best in the nation with size, speed, and backups that would start for about 100 other teams. The safeties are among the best in Miami history with Brandon Meriweather and Kelly Phillips each deserving of All-America consideration and Anthony Reddick and Lovon Ponder more than good enough to step in without missing a beat. There isn't a deeper linebacking corps in the ACC. The defense will be among the best in the country, but ...
Why Miami isn't No. 1 ...
...Miami can't win every game if there are offensive issues like there were throughout last season. This year's team has enough talent to think about the national title, but there are just enough holes to keep it from happening with an offensive line that doesn't look to be appreciably better than last year's disaster and not enough overall skill level among the stars on offense to overcome the potential problems up front.
Relative Strengths: secondary, linebacker Relative Weaknesses: offensive line, backup quarterback

Ohio%20State%20-%20Troy%20Smith2%20SMALL.gif
3. Ohio State
Ohio State PreviewPredicted Finish: 10-2 2005 Predicted Finish: 10-1 2005 Record: 10-2
Why Ohio State should be No. 1 ... QB Troy Smith should make the spread offense sing making big play after big play with his legs as well as his arm. The receivers are big, fast, and talented with Ted Ginn Jr. appearing to be ready to blossom into a superstar wideout. The backfield is full of talent with star freshman Chris Wells ready to push possible All-Big Ten runner Antonio Pittman. The line might be the best in the Jim Tressel's six years in Columbus with a world of talent, especially at tackle. There's no reason whatsoever to worry about the defensive back seven that has to replace all its starters. The line needs to come up with a steady pass rush, but that's nitpicking; All-America tackle Quinn Pitcock and the boys will be a rock against the run.
Why Ohio State isn't No. 1 ... It's one thing to look great in practice; it's another to be consistent under fire. The Buckeye defensive back seven will eventually be unbelievable, but how long is it going to take?
Relative Strengths: quarterback, offensive line Relative Weaknesses: defensive experience, linebacker

document.write('');
Texas%20-%20charles_jamaal_m501d%20SMALL.gif
2. Texas
Texas PreviewPredicted Finish: 10-2 2005 Predicted Finish: 8-3 2005 Record: 13-0
Why Texas should be No. 1 ... The backfield is loaded with talented backs, there's plenty of experience and next-level ability in the receiving corps, and the line will once again be among the best in the country despite losing All-Americans Jonathan Scott and Will Allen. The defensive cupboard is hardly bare with a tremendous end tandem of Tim Crowder and Brian Robison sure to be among the best in the country and more than enough talent in the back seven to fill up the All-Big 12 team.
Why Texas isn't No. 1 ... Oh yeah, quarterback. If Jevan Snead and Colt McCoy can be merely adequate, the Longhorns could be back in the national title game. However, neither appear to have anywhere near the magical quality Vince Young possessed.
Relative Strengths: offensive line, running back Relative Weaknesses: quarterback, backup linebacker

[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=verdana, arial,
sans serif][SIZE=-1]
USC%20-%20Dwayne%20Jarrett3%20SMALL.gif
1. USC
[/SIZE][/FONT]USC Preview[FONT=verdana, arial,
sans serif][SIZE=-1]
Predicted Finish: 11-1 2005 Predicted Finish: 12-0 2005 Record: 12-1
Why USC is No. 1 ... You're forgetting what a recruiting factory USC is. If John David Booty's back isn't ready and he can't take over for Matt Leinart, Mark Sanchez (with his legal troubles behind him) will step in and be a star. Reggie Bush and LenDale White are out, Chauncey Washington, who's finally academically eligible, and true freshmen
[/SIZE][/FONT]Emmanuel Moody and Stafon Johnson, are in. Star receiver Dwayne Jarrett is currently ineligible, but he's supposed to be back by the start of the season. If not, no biggie. Steve Smith returns to join NFL-caliber freshman Vidal Hazelton along with veterans Chris McFoy and Patrick Turner.[FONT=verdana, arial,
sans serif][SIZE=-1] Those are only the high profile players. The second team linebackers and safeties would start for at least 100 other teams. The offensive line should be solid and the pass rush will be tremendous.
Why USC shouldn't be No. 1 ... Matt, Reggie and LenDale were all-timers. You don't just replace three of the greatest college players of all-time, do you? There's still a question about the overall experience while the secondary has to rebound after a underwhelming 2005. Miami also thought it could simply reload after 2002.
Relative Strengths: receiver, linebacker Relative Weaknesses: secondary, special teams

[/SIZE][/FONT]

SHSUHorn said:
There are so mnay reports but there might be more dismassals and suspensions. Supposedly AP did take money but nowhere close to the extent of Bomar and Quinn.

Hartley the K, and Wolfe are the two big names being floated around that they will be kicked off next.

I don't think there will be anymore dismissals, Horn. Whenever the smoke clears it will be the word of a "kicked off the team" Bomar and Quinn that will try to accuse the others. They both will be dismissed as angry young men not wanting to take the fall alone.

The facts are, the dumbshits claimed the income on their taxes and the income didn't match their time cards. So, there is evidence against them that is not found with the others that worked there. One could assume that the others were paid extra as well, but in trial, and RJ you can correct me if I'm wrong, but "assuming" doesn't win the cases that "hard evidence" does -- unless you're O.J. Simpson.
rolleyes2.gif

I don't think Oklahoma, in light of the Sampson phone calls, will escape this unscathed. I think it is very likely we will not be going to a bowl game this year.

SHSUHorn said:

I don't know who will emerge, but for some reason Stoops was in Denver yesterday watching the Bronco's offense and talking with the OC. The coaches have known about this since last Thursday if not before. They have a plan of some kind.

PlayWithMe said:
I don't know who will emerge, but for some reason Stoops was in Denver yesterday watching the Bronco's offense and talking with the OC. The coaches have known about this since last Thursday if not before. They have a plan of some kind.

No doubt this is not the first Stoops knew of this or how he was going to address it. Still, plugging in a new QB or a QB with only few starts behind a hobbled OL is not good.

rjurewitz said:
No doubt this is not the first Stoops knew of this or how he was going to address it. Still, plugging in a new QB or a QB with only few starts behind a hobbled OL is not good.

I never said it was and I'm not going to elude to this situation as being good, but Stoops isn't going to write this season off either. He's too competitive to allow his players to just throw in the towel.

I never thought that Oklahoma would win the National Title this season anyway and I mentioned that in another thread. However, I did think that as wide open as this season looks across the NCAA field, Oklahoma had a window of opportunity -- about as much as Texas did. But, this has pretty much shut the window.

If not Thompson, here's ESPN's read on the other two:

Joey Halzle, the JC transfer who was listed at No. 2 on the depth chart, was dreadful in OU's spring game, going 8-for-21 with three picks. He also has no experience in the Big 12. But Halzle won't give up the position easily. Keep in mind this was the guy who had the Oaks Christian QB job when prodigy Jimmy Clausen was a freshman there. At the end of his prep career, Halzle had to share a bit of the spotlight.
His team last season, Golden West CC, was terrible, going 1-9. I chatted with a former NFL quarterback who has seen a lot of Halzle in JC ball. He thinks Halzle moves pretty well and has a good arm but needs to make decisions a lot quicker. Then again, the guy didn't have much to work with -- and that won't be the case at OU.

Another possibility is freshman Sam Bradford, a newcomer to big-time college football. Neither Halzle nor Bradford is anywhere near as fleet-footed as Bomar, and Sooners offensive coordinator Kevin Wilson was planning to employ a lot of roll-outs to take advantage of his quarterback's wheels. This is another reason why I suspect Thompson will ultimately get the starting job.

PlayWithMe said:
I never said it was and I'm not going to elude to this situation as being good, but Stoops isn't going to write this season off either. He's too competitive to allow his players to just throw in the towel.

I never thought that Oklahoma would win the National Title this season anyway and I mentioned that in another thread. However, I did think that as wide open as this season looks across the NCAA field, Oklahoma had a window of opportunity -- about as much as Texas did. But, this has pretty much shut the window.

I agree with you and I'm not trying to call you an OU homer, as much as I'm piling on this subject while stuck in podunk. I think you're analysis is right and OU will do just fine and may get a Holiday Bowl or Cotton Bowl bid at the end of the year. I see 3 or 4 losses this year, just like last.

Stoops would compete hard with 22 girl scouts with Downs' Syndrome.

Yeah, I just read a report from an Oklahoman reporter who thinks Halzle will get the job. Bradford is good, but very green. They really need for him to red-shirt this year.

rjurewitz said:
I agree with you and I'm not trying to call you an OU homer, as much as I'm piling on this subject while stuck in podunk. I think you're analysis is right and OU will do just fine and may get a Holiday Bowl or Cotton Bowl bid at the end of the year. I see 3 or 4 losses this year, just like last.

Stoops would compete hard with 22 girl scouts with Downs' Syndrome.

OU homer? A transplanted South Bend residence who has had to live in SE Arkansas (near Oklahoma border) an OU homer? I bleed green beer, my friend.
stpatrick4.gif

I will confess though that if I had a second favorite team it would be the Sooners. I hear so much about them all the time, as well as about the others in the Big 12.

PlayWithMe said:
Yeah, I just read a report from an Oklahoman reporter who thinks Halzle will get the job. Bradford is good, but very green. They really need for him to red-shirt this year.

I'm sure that was the original plan. But if Thompson is going to stay at WR, Bradford cannot redshirt.

The best shortterm solution is Thompson. The best longterm solution is to write off this year, compete as hard as possible with Halzle and concentrate on staving off the NCAA and getting one or two top QB recruits in.

PlayWithMe said:
OU homer? A transplanted South Bend residence who has had to live in SE Arkansas (near Oklahoma border) an OU homer? I bleed green beer, my friend.
stpatrick4.gif

I think I liked you better as a Sooner homer than as a Domer.

But, tonight, the hell with football, what I'd really like to do is crawl up the ass of my avatar!!
smiley_aagr.gif

PlayWithMe said:
But, tonight, the hell with football, what I'd really like to do is crawl up the ass of my avatar!!
smiley_aagr.gif

Crawl up the ass? You have a sick fetish.

I got e-mailed a pair of tits today by a self-employed model. Unfortunately I haven't figure out how to post them here or I'd share.

rjurewitz said:
Crawl up the ass? You have a sick fetish.

I got e-mailed a pair of tits today by a self-employed model. Unfortunately I haven't figure out how to post them here or I'd share.

Shit yeah, share the wealth on that one!

"Hey, Sooners, I only lost one star, while you lost two!! TeeeeeHeeeeeHeeee!!"

rju, I feel for you...Susanville's not a happening place...we used to go play Lassen College all of the time up there...

pags11 said:
rju, I feel for you...Susanville's not a happening place...we used to go play Lassen College all of the time up there...

Shit, Pags then you know what I'm talking about.

It took me 5 minutes to do a lap of the main drag at 9 p.m. and 95% of everything was closed.

After the Jokes...Analyis from BurntOrangeNation.

The Morning After
By HornsFan Section: Football
Posted on Thu Aug 03, 2006 at 07:55:42 AM EST
</I>

We've had our fun with the jokes and the snickering, but now it's time for a more critical assessment of what this means for Texas, OU, and the Big 12 in general.
brettbomar.bmp

Brett, Rhett... whatever. It's a problem for OU.
One thing's for certain - new offensive coordinator Randy Walker will be earning his paycheck this fall. The Sooner staff must decide whether to throw sophomore Joey Halzle into the fire, or go with senior Paul Thompson, a former quarterback who was converted to wide receiver.
While Halzle was listed as Bomar's backup heading into this season, that had more to do with the desire to get the athletic Thompson on the field in some capacity. With Bomar now gone forever, and fall practice set to begin in just days, Thompson will certainly be asked to switch back to quarterback.
We don't know who the coaches prefer, though Thompson's career passing stats aren't half as bad as his reputation as a mediocre thrower. (He's completed 42 of 73 passes, 57.5%, with 4 TDs against 3 INTs.) He brings an ability to run in his skill set, which leads me to believe that Walker and company will give Thompson a shot to be the guy this year. The offense will have to be creative, but I think that's something that Walker's generally well-suited to do. Don't be surprised if Walker has Thompson and Peterson running a version of the zone read that Texas and Vince Young perfected.
For Texas, it's a blessing in that the advantage the Sooners had - a returning starting quarterback - is effectively neutered. The teams are now matched evenly in that department heading into fall practice. While this is definitely a setback to the Sooners, a Longhorn victory is hardly guaranteed, and we should be especially mindful that this is not the same thing as losing, say, Adrian Peterson. Had that been the case, we could have begun writing our Sooner eulogies for Dallas. But not yet. Paul Thompson or Joey Halzle still could wind up more ready for big time college football than Colt McCoy or Jevan Snead.
Still, we’d be remiss not to point out that the other Sooner dismissed, projected starting guard J.D. Quinn. When one considers that the offensive line was the one area where many Sooner critics felt they were most vulnerable, this additional loss may be just as important.
All told, the Sooners have clearly lost whatever momentum they'd picked up over the spring and summer, and the amount of work they'll have to do to get ready for the season is daunting. What's strangest of all, though, is that with Bomar's departure, the Big 12 faces an almost unprecedented turnover in quarterbacks. New signal callers will be taking the field all across the Big 12, making Texas' glaring weakness that much easier to overcome.
The path to the Big 12 title game is never easy, but OU certainly didn't do themselves any favors. Texas, one must now assume, returns as favorites to capture the Big 12 south. --PB--

Back