Important Breaking Ou News!!!!!!!

jimmyd

Pretty much a regular
Report: Oklahoma dismisses starting quarterback

AP - 8/2/2006 12:49 PM - Updated: 8/2/2006 1:01 PM
OKLAHOMA CITY (AP) -- Oklahoma starting quarterback Rhett Bomar will not play for the Sooners this season following an investigation by the team, according to a television report.
Oklahoma confirmed that two players had been dismissed by the team but did not identify them. The school said in a statement that the players violated NCAA rules by working at a private business and taking "payment over an extended period of time in excess of time actually worked."
Oklahoma City television station KWTV reported that Bomar, who set an Oklahoma freshman record with 2,018 passing yards after taking over as the Sooners' starter in the second game last season, was one of the two players who had been permanently dismissed.
"We spend a considerable amount of time addressing our players regarding their personal conduct and the NCAA rules," head coach Bob Stoops said in a statement. "They know exactly what we expect from them. Ultimately, they have to make right decisions. The same holds true for our boosters. When they do not, the consequences are serious, and we will not tolerate this behavior.
"Our team and university actions are necessary because of the intentional participation and knowledge of the student athletes in these violations," Stoops said.
A top-rated recruit out of high school, Bomar redshirted his first season while 2004 Heisman Trophy winner Jason White completed his career. Bomar lost a quarterback competition to Paul Thompson last fall, but was named the starter after the Sooners lost to TCU in the first week.
He started Oklahoma's final 11 games and completed 54 percent of his passes, while throwing 10 touchdowns and 10 interceptions. Oklahoma finished 2005 by winning six of its final seven games, including a victory against Oregon in the Holiday Bowl.
"I firmly believe that our program is stronger than any individual player and that a championship program cannot compromise its values," Stoops said in the statement.

This is unreal...seems to be alot of this going around this year...

Verified on ESPN.com right now...

WOW..

jimmyd said:
Rumor...: Adrian Peterson????? Is The Other?

rumor from where?? you hoping or is that a printed rumor??

If both are gone, Stoops will be in hot shit in Sooner Nation..

Local rumor mill stuff coming out of Norman. On the phone with insiders trying to get the story now. Expect fall out from this. Booster problems. Money flowing. etc. etc.

HOLY SMOKES!! Well, stick a fork in OU. UAB +24.5 anyone?

Over on the Oklahoma board, they are saying that Bomar and JD Quinn-the other player-both worked for the same car dealership that let Adrian Peterson "test drive" a Lexus for a month or so in the spring, before getting caught. The Sooner fans actually seem to be taking the news fairly well-they are pleased w/ Stoops and talking about boycotting the dealership!

Hey, this is pretty Cool. CTG beat ESPN to the punch on breaking news.

:hammer: :hammer:

yep, that's what i'm starting to hear. Peterson may have minor involvement, but survived the purge. J D may be gone.

Rumors from the Oklahoma scout board....

Quote: I Just heard from a good source that Bomar accepted around $10,000 in pay for work not done.​

Quote: He was listed as working DURING SCHEDULED PRACTICES!​

fucking moron well i have them at -14.5 in a teaser i think i will win this still but -24.5 that is pushing it.

Backup QB Joey Halzle is a Juco transfer. Supposed to be quite adequate. Will try to update. 3rd QB is true frosh. J D Quinn, RG, may hurt as the off line was a big ? mark headed into camp anyway. At least OU has plenty of time to prepare for the future.

Confirmed by ESPN is that Bomar and DJ Quinn have been permanently dismissed for receiveing undeserved compensation and/or compensation over what is allowed by NCAA rules from "private employers".

With respect to Bomar, he was "working" for Big Red Sports.

OU pulled the cord so that they could have an argument at keeping scholarships, bowl games, and TV time. But this may still come to bite them in the ass.

Couldn't happen to a better program. Unless that program was aTm.

By the way, it's confirmed that RG J D Quinn is the other player, and it all does go back to Big Red Sports Auto Imports where Peterson got to "test drive" a Lexus for many months. Bomar & Quinn accepted $10K for doing no work. The car dealership got in hot water over the Peterson Lexus and sold out. The ex-owner was a big OU Booster, and I fully expect more fall out and an Ncaa inspection, but things should be OK as this was self reported and expulsions instituted.

They're giving out this number for Big Red Sports and asking everyone call and tell them what they think of them...that's too funny..

Big Red Sports/Imports
418 N Interstate Dr
Norman, OK zip code
Phone: (405) 364-4400

Bomar had a job at an Oklahoma City car dealer at which he'd work about five hours a week, but claimed, for tax purposes, that he earned $18,000 a year, Schad reported.

Not bad..

rjurewitz said:
Confirmed by ESPN is that Bomar and DJ Quinn have been permanently dismissed for receiveing undeserved compensation and/or compensation over what is allowed by NCAA rules from "private employers".

With respect to Bomar, he was "working" for Big Red Sports.

OU pulled the cord so that they could have an argument at keeping scholarships, bowl games, and TV time. But this may still come to bite them in the ass.

Couldn't happen to a better program. Unless that program was aTm.

Actually, Stoops, unlike Barry Switzer, runs a very tight ship. No way the NCAA does anymore to the program.

Funny though, shit like this happens all the time at USC and the NCAA doesn't do anything about them.

I think Oklahoma is right back to where they were last season. The only difference is that Peterson will be healthy, but with everyone keying on him, how effective will he be?? Reserve QBs, Halzle and Bradford are decent players and coaches raved about Halzle last year, but these are not the "blue chip" QB that Rhett was.
rotz.gif

Bomar had made huge progress to end the season. The guy is extremly talented. Tough Tough loss. Maybe he will go play pro baseball

Play, this may have bigger consequences. B-Ball investigation ongoing. BaseBall investigation going on. Now Foots also. AD Castiligone may have some deep explaining to do to the Ncaa.

This is another reason why I will not actually place any of my wagers until Friday night or Saturday morning of the first week...

MistaFlava said:
This is another reason why I will not actually place any of my wagers until Friday night or Saturday morning of the first week...

I've already taught that lesson in my "plays" thread. Yeah, I agree.
beerchug.gif

Sooners' QB depth chart
201.gif

With Rhett Bomar kicked off the team, the Sooners' depth chart at quarterback looks like this:

Joey Halzle: From Huntington Beach, Calif. Transferred from Golden West CC where he threw for 2,077 yards and 13 TDs in 10 games.

Paul Thompson: Began the 2005 season as the starting QB, but was later moved to WR. Could potentially be moved back under center where he was just 11-26 for 109 yards and an INT last year. In his career, he is 42-73, 428 yards, 4 TDs, 3 INT.

Sam Bradford: True freshman from Oklahoma City. Top 20 QB recruit last year.

Hays McEachern: Walk-on.

-- ESPN Research

JumpOnBoard said:
Sooners' QB depth chart

201.gif

With Rhett Bomar kicked off the team, the Sooners' depth chart at quarterback looks like this:

Joey Halzle: From Huntington Beach, Calif. Transferred from Golden West CC where he threw for 2,077 yards and 13 TDs in 10 games.

Paul Thompson: Began the 2005 season as the starting QB, but was later moved to WR. Could potentially be moved back under center where he was just 11-26 for 109 yards and an INT last year. In his career, he is 42-73, 428 yards, 4 TDs, 3 INT.

Sam Bradford: True freshman from Oklahoma City. Top 20 QB recruit last year.

Hays McEachern: Walk-on.

-- ESPN Research

This is correct. I have no leans whatsoever as to who will get the starting nod, but my gut tells me it will be Halzle.

What a huge story..

PlayWithMe said:
This is correct. I have no leans whatsoever as to who will get the starting nod, but my gut tells me it will be Halzle.

Just getting to read all the details...

Anyways, can't go wrong with a kid from Huntington Beach!!! No better place to grow up, that's for sure.

Word is now it is likely to be Thompson's job. Hell, it's all speculation from this point until they have a week of practice under their belts.

After doing a bit of research, calling some "close friends" and listening to some sources on talk radio today, I am relatively sure they will be going with Thompson this season at QB. He is the most experienced with the Oklahoma offensive schemes, and fits into the "running style" QB that Wilson's "Northwestern style" offense likes to use.

Also, I don't think it was just happenstance that Bob Stoops was in Colorado yesterday watching the Denver Broncos practice and talking with the offensive coordinator. Plumber's "roll out and pass or run" style game is very similar to what Oklahoma wanted to do with Thompson and Bomar last season. So, it makes sense that they would fall back on Thompson here to achieve that purpose again.

Thompson is an excellent athlete. The fact that they were willing to move him to WR and actively use him at this position shows his athleticism and their confidence in him. After a couple of games in which he started last year though, even though Bomar looked no better in the same games, it was evident to the coaches that they at that time needed to train the player that was likely to be their QB for 4 years instead of two. Thompson had the team's respect and will have it again. I really think it will likely take him about 3 or 4 games though to get his skills and reads ironed out. Maybe with the pressure of competition being off this year, he will feel more at ease and do better.

The situation will warrant watching in the weeks to come.

HEEEELLLLLLLLLLLLLLLLL YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAHHH!!!!!

For years we've known about the ongoings og Big Red Sports and it finally comes back to bite the Sooners in the ass.

Somethings never change about OU athletics.

My Texas MNC bet is looking better and better.

Alot of people are talking about losing Bomar but you might want to look at the OU depth chart in regards to loing Quinn on the OL as well.

:hammer:

If anyone thinks OU is going to be fine with Thompson at QB thin again.

Thompson went 11-of-26 for 109 yards with no touchdown passes and one interception at quarterback last year. That was in the first game of the year in the loss to TCU AT HOME. He wasn't a good QB in HS (played in my district) and their is a reason every other team including Texas recruited him at WR.

The guy hasn't thrown a ball in a year. Major transition going to QB with the season less then a month away and a new offense and coordinator.

He probably should be the choice since whoever plays QB will be running for their life behind that OL.

Also Joey Hazle struggled in the Sooners' spring game, going 8 of 21 for 69 yards with three interceptions.

One interesting note that I just read from an OU source on rivals. He said basically they have been investigating this for 6 months now. He said we are going to get hammered by the NCAA but no where near as bad as USC when they are done investigating them.

Dale Hansen a big time sports guy in Dallas just stated "if you think this is bad for OU, there is another incident involving Peterson that will make this one look small. My sources guarantee it."

Hansen is the guy that broke the SMU Eric Dickerson scandal that led to them getting the death penalty.

Wow.

And I don't think this has to do wiht him driving the Lexus around. Something else.

8 players were working for the dealership BTW.

Oh, and Horn , new rumor is Stoops in flying to TX looking for a new QB. Now why TX, what ever happened to FL.?

As a fan of college football, I give credit to and appreciate Bob Stoops for getting rid of these guys. I obviously don't know the whole story, but it seems as though he is taking a tough stance. I know my alma mater and most schools who are in the national championship hunt this year would not have been so quick to dismiss such important players from the team. Until I hear more, I commend Bob Stoops for his actions.

And its getting better. The OU fans are just destroying Jerry Bomar a HS coach who is Rhett's dad.

accordign to sources, Jerry Bomar is singing like a canary to the NCAA in order to try and cut a deal for his son to be cleard to play Div 1 in order to try and save what they feel Rhets chance to earn millions as an NFL QB

Stewart20 said:
As a fan of college football, I give credit to and appreciate Bob Stoops for getting rid of these guys. I obviously don't know the whole story, but it seems as though he is taking a tough stance. I know my alma mater and most schools who are in the national championship hunt this year would not have been so quick to dismiss such important players from the team. Until I hear more, I commend Bob Stoops for his actions.

Thank you Stewart, I agree most sincerly, and welcome to the board.

Horn, from a betting stand point, people seem to miss the fact that J D Quinn may be the bigger loss. Only returning starter on the O line. Without a line coming together in camp, forget who is QB, and AD will have no place to go. Line was also thin on backups to begin with.

Will be curious to see what the new line comes out.

stewert, while I do agree with you if this is all the NCAA finds out there are numerous reports this isn't the end of the story.

There were 8 players working at that dealership and AP was driving around a Lexus from that same dealership.

Mabye Stoops is using Bomar as an example to the NCAA because he is a big name player.

Losing Bomar and his roomate Quinn are not nearly as bad as losing the 8 players that worked there. They were all big name guys.

So how could those two players only be the only ones getting paid like that and not the rest?

This is going to get UGLY.

PlayWithMe said:
Actually, Stoops, unlike Barry Switzer, runs a very tight ship. No way the NCAA does anymore to the program.

Funny though, shit like this happens all the time at USC and the NCAA doesn't do anything about them.

I think Oklahoma is right back to where they were last season. The only difference is that Peterson will be healthy, but with everyone keying on him, how effective will he be?? Reserve QBs, Halzle and Bradford are decent players and coaches raved about Halzle last year, but these are not the "blue chip" QB that Rhett was.
rotz.gif

Tight ship?

This is the same dealership that let Peterson "borrow" a vehicle to drive around while he was thinking of "buying" it. With what money? Peterson undoubtedly was also on the take and something had to be done. Do you do something to Peterson or do you let someone else take the hit? Bomar took the hit for all of Trailerhoma.

You can drop OU by a TD in your rankings at least until their JuCo or Peterson prove themselves.

Oregon is now a clear favorite.

Horn, you may be right. This could get very ugly. Up to this point, Bob Stoops has been a no nonsense kind of guy. Therefore, I'll assume that he is treating the situation appropiately. Time will tell.

I agree with what was said earlier that OU will go to the "Northwestern style" shotgun offense with Thompson this year. Will AP be able to shine in this type of offense?

SHSUHorn said:
And its getting better. The OU fans are just destroying Jerry Bomar a HS coach who is Rhett's dad.

accordign to sources, Jerry Bomar is singing like a canary to the NCAA in order to try and cut a deal for his son to be cleard to play Div 1 in order to try and save what they feel Rhets chance to earn millions as an NFL QB

As they say on Hornfans, "OU got Bomar'd."

BO-mar-d: (Verb) To get the shit kicked out of oneself. See:

br-16357.jpg

...or the quintessential Bomar'd...

51801162_82e507ef49_m.jpg

More from Hornfans, and this IS relevant...OU's OL depth chart after losing DJ Quinn:

...not counting true freshmen. This was their depth chart before today:

LT 79 Chris Messner 6-6 280 Sr.
72 George Robinson 6-5 332 So.

LG 72 George Robinson 6-5 332 So.
77 Sherrone Moore 6-4 300 Jr.

C 50 Jon Cooper 6-3 278 So.
71 Cameron Schacht 6-4 255 So.

RG 63 J.D. Quinn 6-3 296 So.
74 Brian Simmons 6-4 285 RFr.

RT 76 Branndon Braxton 6-6 318 So.
79 Chris Messner 6-6 280 Sr.

Quinn just got the boot, and Brian Simmons injured his knee earlier in the summer and could be out until midseason. That means Sherrone Moore will start at RG, which means OU's only non-freshmen backup is a center who weighs 255 pounds.

I hope Peterson has insurance.

I just want to say that I agree 100% with all you Longhorn fans and I worship the knowledge that you have on Oklahoma football. Your thoughtfulness on behalf of Bob Stoops is exemplary and your well wishes to the Sooner program are greatly appreciated. Be sure that all Oklahoma Sooner fans who follow the program closely and attentively return in kind the wonderful sentiments to the Longhorn program this season.

worshippy.gif
grins.gif

Back