How ESPN pickers did in Week 6

TahoeLegend

Pretty much a regular
Chris Fallica had the best week at 6-1, his best week of the season and he is now above .500 for the first time this season. Phil Steele had the best record going in, but posted his worst week of the season. Stanford Steve was 3-2 and is now 2 games above .500. I think he is the best handicapper of the three, but that opinion is based on a small sample of watching all three.

I had my first good week of the season at 5-1 and am above .500 for the first time this year. Had some luck on the Utah pick. Utah has been golden as a dog (9-2 the last three years) but that cover was pure luck Saturday. They got roughing the passer calls twice after passes failed on fourth down on that last drive. Then the kicker double clutches on the PAT, falls down as he kicks and the ball cleared by 1 inch.

I'll try to post the ESPN picks again this week if no one else does.

Chris Fallica (13-15) Week 6 (6-1) Season 19-16

• [Winner] Louisville at NC State – NC State (+3.5) win
  • Alabama at Texas A&M – Texas A&M (+26.5) win
  • Arizona at Colorado – Arizona (+6.5) win
  • Louisiana Tech at UAB – UAB (+11.5) win
  • Maryland at Ohio St. – Ohio St. (-30.5) win
  • UCF at Cincinnati – Cincinnati (+17) lose
  • Miami (FL) at Florida St. – Under (48) win

Stanford Steve (13-12) Week 6 (3-2) Season 16-14

• Boise St. at BYU – BYU (+9) lose ( #1 pick he makes on SVP show, 3-3 for ytd)
  • Alabama at Texas A&M – Over (54) lose
  • Minnesota at Purdue – Purdue (-4) win
  • Stanford at Utah – Utah (+5.5) win
  • Miami (FL) at Florida St. – Miami (FL) (-3) win

Phil Steele (19-14) Week 6 (2-6) Season 21-20

• Memphis at UConn – UConn (+14.5) lose
  • Alabama at Texas A&M – Under (55) win
  • Army West Point at Rice – Rice (+11.5) lose
  • LSU at Florida – Florida (-2.5) lose
  • Michigan St. at Michigan – Michigan St. (+10) win
  • Washington St. at Oregon – Oregon (+2.5) lose
  • West Virginia at TCU – TCU (-13.5) lose
  • Wisconsin at Nebraska – Nebraska (+10.5) lose
My Picks (11-11-2) Week 6 (5-1) Season 16-12-2

Utah +4x win
SMU +7 lose
W Virginia +14 win
Miami -3 win
Wash St -2 win

Purdue -3x win

Fallica would actually be 6-0-1 with those picks since Cincy was a no-action due to the game being called in the third quarter.

Very good point.

Also Stanford Steve's 3 wins were all somewhat fortunate, or at least coin flips. I had a Miami ticket too. No shame in getting lucky. But he also had Purdue which was a coin flip and Utah which was a coin flip (generously).

Very good point.

Also Stanford Steve's 3 wins were all somewhat fortunate, or at least coin flips. I had a Miami ticket too. No shame in getting lucky. But he also had Purdue which was a coin flip and Utah which was a coin flip (generously).

How was Purdue a coinflip?

I heard Fallica talk about his feelings on the Texas A&M pick on a radio show last week. He said he was taking them to not lose by 26 or 27, whatever the line was at the time, maybe they'd just lose by 23. Hell of a tight window to hit on the spread. But he is pretty good to listen to his thoughts. Unfortunately like most of the radio and TV stuff it is sound bites and you don't get any depth of potential knowledge or thinking they really have.

Regarding Min-Pur being a coin toss game, I had Purdue...just not really high on Minn and bought in on Pur and staff. But that game was close the entire game and Minn led alot of it. Purdue's biggest lead of the game I think was late 4th qrt then they added the pick-six for the final margin. So I can see why someone would say that game could've gone either way. But if that game was replayed, and if Purdue doesn't turn it over 4x in the first half then we might've gotten a Purdue 14 pt win anyway. I'd say Purdue wins that game probably 7 out of 10 times.

How was Purdue a coinflip?

True enough, I guess. That was a straight bad beat for Minnesota backers. Just that in modern football, with the ability to score fast now and coaches smarter about not putting it in the hands of FG kickers, Purdue is going to score there more than you might think. But yes, given they hadn't done anything all game, it was probably just a bad beat that he was on the right side of.

For purposes of the betting window Fallica got a push on Cincinnati. For our purposes, which is to see how good a handicapper the guy is, he made a mistake in his assessment of the merits of the two teams so I scored it a loss.

Haven't made any decisions yet, VK. I see about 6 to 8 that interest me, but I like to get as much information as I can, including what you and all the other guys on this board are thinking, before I decide. Waiting on a couple of injury reports also. I don't pay a lot of attention to injuries, but when it is a pivotal player--like Lamb, the WR for Oklahoma--I like to know as much as I can.

Back