Henry Ruggs charged with DUI resulting in death

If I'm Ruggs, I would've wished I was killed in the accident. His life is done.

And I wonder if they were still playing in Oakland, would this have happened? This can happen anywhere but in a party place like Vegas, and a youngster like him, it won't end well for them.

And that video of him with his GF speeding a year earlier will be brought to court. He is fucked.

I live near the scene. Driven by there many times. At 330am you can fly on that road (obviously).

Ruggs is done. People I've talked to today here hate him. They're glad the Raiders cut him. Everyone hopes he gets the max 20 years plus lose all his money in lawsuit. He took a life and destroyed his. Lawyers I've seen quoted say he basically has no defense and no real bargaining power for a plea deal (and DA office talking tough). They say his best defense is to show great sorrow and beg for mercy of the court. He'll never play again and will be broke and done when he gets out.

After Ruggs was taken to a hospital by paramedics, police reported that he yelled at medics and officers when they tried to question him.

Ruggs began to yell, ''Get me the **** out of here,''' read the police report obtained by KLAS. 'Ruggs continued to yell from his bed and refused to listen to hospital staff.'

When officers went to speak to Ruggs at the hospital, he told them to 'get out of here' and refused to submit an evidentiary blood test, according to the report. Furthermore, the report states that Ruggs told investigating officers he did not remember what happened and responded 'no' several times.

After Ruggs was taken to a hospital by paramedics, police reported that he yelled at medics and officers when they tried to question him.

Ruggs began to yell, ''Get me the **** out of here,''' read the police report obtained by KLAS. 'Ruggs continued to yell from his bed and refused to listen to hospital staff.'

When officers went to speak to Ruggs at the hospital, he told them to 'get out of here' and refused to submit an evidentiary blood test, according to the report. Furthermore, the report states that Ruggs told investigating officers he did not remember what happened and responded 'no' several times.
I get that the shock is real and he was probably concussed as well but it sounds like he's lucky to have only blown a .16 given not only these actions, but 18 shots AND cocktails? Amazing he's not dead but I'm sure he wishes he was right now.

Something to be said about being a pro athlete. Jail time will happen more as a deterrent to others from doing the same thing, but in a case like this, while money can't replace life...I'd be all for a portion of his income being required to go to the family going forward. The guilt (I'd hope) means he'd never do it again so the rehab part of prison is obsolete.

We'll always have varying opinions on what penalties should be for DUI, when it results in something like death or paralysis I'd like to see the result benefit the victims more than simply to deter others from doing it. My two cents.

I’m guessing the family will basically take everything he owns in a wrongful death lawsuit.

Couple of people did try. One man had a fire extinguisher but it wasn’t enough. They tried cutting her seat belt off but she was pinned in the vehicle. It went really quickly after that.
Really fucking hope she was dead before the fire started. Fuck

She wasn't. Someone tried to help her but couldn't get her out because of the seatbelt and airbag. She was screaming.
I didn't hear that. Saw local TV interview the guy that tried to save her. He was almost crying - said the fire was real small at first and they thought they could get her out but then it took off super fast and they couldn't pull her through her seatbelt or anything. And the fire extinguisher wasn't enough. I only heard him say he could hear her breathing which I took to mean she was unconscious. but if she was screaming obviously that just really is tragic. He should spend the rest of his life in prison - no different than murder IMO.

Yup, plus a small fortune from TopGolf
Absolutely. The right move would be to get a pre-suit attachment from a friendly judge that basically freezes all of his assets. The lawsuit should easily be 10+ million and the family deserves every dime of it.

It doesn’t. People do stupid shit because they are intoxicated, mentally ill, have anger issues or are evil. None of them are thinking in the moment that if I do this I will lose everything. Especially 22 year olds.
Sounds like you‘re excusing Ruggs

Sounds like you‘re excusing Ruggs
Not excusing him at all. He will go to prison and he should go to prison. The series of decisions he made were egregious. The civil lawsuit will be extensive; as it should be.
What I’m saying is that as a defense attorney of 18 years, the idea of a punishment being a deterrent is one of the greatest frauds our court system perpetuates on the public.
None of these people are thinking about what happened to Jim Bob before they commit their act. Punish him for the act.

You don‘t think being conditioned by a society that targets deterrence -- by repeatedly exposing people to the unlikable acts and awful punishments of those who commit crimes -- prevents a lot of people from mentally being able to do this sort of shit?

It doesn’t. People do stupid shit because they are intoxicated, mentally ill, have anger issues or are evil. None of them are thinking in the moment that if I do this I will lose everything. Especially 22 year olds.
Not like there can be stats based on mindset but for some reason it seems like there are equal if not more people who find the law as a challenge than a deterrent. The catch me if you can types. Natural response would be to make alcohol illegal, but we know if it's illegal but you want it, you'll find it.

You don‘t think being conditioned by a society that targets deterrence -- by repeatedly exposing people to the unlikable acts and awful punishments of those who commit crimes -- prevents a lot of people from mentally being able to do this sort of shit?

Not at all. Because in the moment people make these decisions, they are not making a detailed cost benefit analysis. I can guarantee you Ruggs wasn't weighing the potential costs of his actions when he hit the gas pedal.

If deterrence through punishment worked, states that have the death penalty would have the lowest murder rates in the country. They don't.

Laws themselves are deterrents….for some people. But do you honestly believe that a 22 year old that would otherwise get shit faced and drive is going to say to himself at 2:30 am…”Well I was going to drive home but you know because Henry Ruggs got 10 years in prison instead of 2 years so I’m going to call an Uber.” I love you Cavs but you are giving that person way too much credit.

Laws themselves are deterrents….for some people. But do you honestly believe that a 22 year old that would otherwise get shit faced and drive is going to say to himself at 2:30 am…”Well I was going to drive home but you know because Henry Ruggs got 10 years in prison instead of 2 years so I’m going to call an Uber.” I love you Cavs but you are giving that person way too much credit.

Weirdly, yes. Well, yes and no. I don't think that's exactly what that 22 year old thinks, but I imagine for some people the image of that incinerated car and the thought of that poor woman screaming as she died may leave the kind of mark that makes you think once you get in the driver's seat and the world starts sloshing around when you look out of the windshield.

I don't think it's what happens to Ruggs that deters people, really, but the thought of what happened to her that might be enough to give some people pause.

Weirdly, yes. Well, yes and no. I don't think that's exactly what that 22 year old thinks, but I imagine for some people the image of that incinerated car and the thought of that poor woman screaming as she died may leave the kind of mark that makes you think once you get in the driver's seat and the world starts sloshing around when you look out of the windshield.

I don't think it's what happens to Ruggs that deters people, really, but the thought of what happened to her that might be enough to give some people pause.

Woah do Joe and I agree on something

his lawyer can make the case that driving on tropicana or desert inn drunk at 100+ mph in the middle of the night is somewhat common for the city. i used to live about a block from where the crash was. after about 11 at night, you would see cars blazing by, running red lights, no headlights on, swerving. scraps of bumpers and shattered glass hanging out on the side of the road, and the next morning you would see a camera crew on the corner. if ruggs was a marquee player who was important to the league, he'd probably just do a small amount of time, then they would slip him back on the roster a couple years later and make some bullshit "life is about 2nd chances" story out of it. since ruggs is replaceable, the nfl doesn't care and can use it as an opportunity to make an example out of him to show they are a "no tolerance league."

I just caught up on this story and cried for the victim and Ruggs.

I remember being 22 and doing stupid stuff while drinking. Especially at 3:30 am. Got away with a lot of dumb ass shit back then. I know most of you don't feel for him, but I do in a lot of ways because at the end of the day it's probably not who he is as a human being overall. It was bad decisions, being young with a lot of money, and alcohol.

Just simply a reflection and opinion on my part.

He would probably benefit more so from intensive therapy and alcohol treatment. He will pay for it all in the civil suit. I dunno. I guess I'm a softie.

I'm sure there is a lot of good in him. I feel bad for him that he completely ruined his life.

Doesn't change anything though, his egregious actions resulted in a horrible death of a completely innocent person. Ten years sounds about right to me. I wouldn't shed a tear if it's more.

All fair. Just a terrible tragedy all the way around. So many lives lost. Not just 1.

It's crazy how life can change in a matter of seconds /minutes.
Yep, think about how much fun he's having out with the fellas all night then a series of poor decisions and your life path took you to this

Yep, think about how much fun he's having out with the fellas all night then a series of poor decisions and your life path took you to this

Right (this is no excuse) and to wake up like holy fuck, what happened last night?

I've blacked out, I'm sure many of you have as well. What an eerie, bizarre feeling not remembering your night.

I'm sure there is a lot of good in him. I feel bad for him that he completely ruined his life.

Doesn't change anything though, his egregious actions resulted in a horrible death of a completely innocent person. Ten years sounds about right to me. I wouldn't shed a tear if it's more.
From what I know about him, he’s a good person. Made a horrible mistake, and he’ll pay the price and he’ll have to live with the fact that he took an innocent life because of his actions. His story needs to be told in locker rooms across the country, and anywhere really, because this can happen to others.

And no, sadly, stronger laws aren’t the deterrent you’d hope for.

It's a small town, I really need to find the guy on the Raiders who is responsible for calling these guys up like, "Can you motherfuckers chill the fuck out? Like, for 24 hours, one time? I'm asking, for me, just so I can get a good night's sleep? Is that too much to fucking ask?" That guy probably needs someone to buy him a drink.

It's a small town, I really need to find the guy on the Raiders who is responsible for calling these guys up like, "Can you motherfuckers chill the fuck out? Like, for 24 hours, one time? I'm asking, for me, just so I can get a good night's sleep? Is that too much to fucking ask?" That guy probably needs someone to buy him a drink.
Everyone is like polar opposites

Derek carr is probably one of the most wholesome and forgiving humans alive
Max crosby and Darren waller have both gone through AA/NA and are straight edge now

Then we have ruggs and arnette just doing... not that

Everyone is like polar opposites

Derek carr is probably one of the most wholesome and forgiving humans alive
Max crosby and Darren waller have both gone through AA/NA and are straight edge now

Then we have ruggs and arnette just doing... not that
The NFL version of bipolar

I'm with Hunt on this as well. I mean, this guy definitely deserves to go to jail, but 22 is so young. And he has to live with the fact that he killed someone forever. It's almost impossible to see how this doesn't ruin his life—which is, in its own way, a tragedy upon a tragedy.

Also, um, what is going on with the Raiders?

It's just so damn sad. Ugh. Really made me think a lot about my 20s and how close a lot of tragedies could have happened after a night of drinking.

It's just so damn sad. Ugh. Really made me think a lot about my 20s and how close a lot of tragedies could have happened after a night of drinking.
And thinking about bartending too, serving drunk people and how many opportunities that had to go South

Thankfully wasn't an aggressive driver when drinking but was in a car once where the bud hammered it, got popped and cop said the initial number was 138 mph but it didn't lock in until he slowed to 110. His sister was interning with the PD and with the cop that popped us so completely got off but not a care in the world when we did that. He got a warning. 3 of us were 20, open beers

And thinking about bartending too, serving drunk people and how many opportunities that had to go South

Thankfully wasn't an aggressive driver when drinking but was in a car once where the bud hammered it, got popped and cop said the initial number was 138 mph but it didn't lock in until he slowed to 110. His sister was interning with the PD and with the cop that popped us so completely got off but not a care in the world when we did that. He got a warning. 3 of us were 20, open beers

Yeah. It's crazy. I'm sure a few of us have stories like that. I know I had a guardian angel looking over me some nights.

Back