Friday 10/31/14 NBA discussion thread

divol

The Spurs can suck my manhood
[TABLE="class: linesTbl, width: 954"]
<tbody style="margin: 0px; padding: 0px; border: 0px; outline: 0px;">[TR="class: linesHeader"]
[TD="colspan: 8"][h=4]NBA BASKETBALL BASKETBALL - FRI 10/31[/h][/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesColumns"]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, colspan: 4, align: center"]GAME[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]HANDICAP[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]MONEY LINE[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]TOTAL POINTS[/TD]
[TD="bgcolor: #000032, align: center"]MORE[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesAlt1"]
[TD="class: linesDate, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Fri 10/31[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]701[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Memphis Grizzlies[/TD]
[TD="class: linesScore, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]-6 1.909[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Over 185 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMore, bgcolor: #E6EEFB, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]04:05 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]702[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Indiana Pacers[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]+6 2.000[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Under 185 1.952[/TD]
[/TR]
[TR="class: linesAlt2"]
[TD="class: linesDate, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Fri 10/31[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]703[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Cleveland Cavaliers[/TD]
[TD="class: linesScore, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]+2.5 1.970[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMLine, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"][/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Over 193.5 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesMore, bgcolor: #C1D2EE, align: center"][/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]05:05 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]704[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Chicago Bulls[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]-2.5 1.934[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Under 193.5 1.952[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]705[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Philadelphia 76ers[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]+8.5 2.000[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Over 201 1.925[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]05:35 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]706[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Milwaukee Bucks [/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]-8.5 1.909[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Under 201 1.980[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]707[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Portland Trail Blazers [/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]-5.5 1.909[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Over 202 1.952[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]07:05 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]708[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Sacramento Kings[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]+5.5 2.000[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Under 202 1.952[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]709[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]San Antonio Spurs[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]-1.5 2.000[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Over 206 1.952[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]07:05 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]710[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Phoenix Suns[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]+1.5 1.909[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #E6EEFB"]Under 206 1.952[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]711[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Los Angeles Clippers[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]-11.5 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Over 210 1.952[/TD]
[/TR]
[TD="bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]07:35 PM[/TD]
[TD="class: linesRotNumBold, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]712[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTeam, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Los Angeles Lakers[/TD]
[TD="class: linesSpread, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]+11.5 1.952[/TD]
[TD="class: linesTotals, bgcolor: #C1D2EE"]Under 210 1.952[/TD]
[/TR]
</tbody>[/TABLE]

love the grizz, but hate laying points on the road. not sure how to attack this game

Will Cleveland go 0 - 2 after the first two games? I'm sure that no one in Cleveland will start to worry, but still... I would think they would like to come to Chicago and make a small statement...

some info on bulls vs. lebron:

Thibodeau's club held James to his lowest scoring average against any opponent in 2013-14 (18.3) and his worst shooting percentage at 39.2. The Heat lost two of the three matchups in which he played, and he sat out a Feb. 23 win with a broken nose.
James is 33-22 in his career against the Bulls, including the playoffs, and 12-15 in Chicago. He went 20-12 in the Central Division rivalry in his initial stint in Cleveland and 7-8 at the United Center.
He missed 25 of 40 shots in his two visits last season but averaged 19.0 points.
Love lost six times in his final seven matchups with the Bulls while with Minnesota. In those games, he averaged 17.9 points - tied for his second-lowest average against any opponent in the past five season - on 40.2 percent shooting - his third-worst mark since 2009-10.
The Bulls won 13 of 15 matchups with Cleveland while James was in Miami and six of seven in Chicago.
Rose has only appeared in two of the last 11 meetings, and the Bulls have won the last seven games he's played in the series.

I like Cleveland tonight. I know that Cleveland starters logged big minutes, but 4.5 points are just too much imho.
I think that Cleveland are the better team and with less pressure on them, unlike in the first game of the season, Cleveland can win it or at least keep it close.
I took it +4.5 anyway...

Sixers game over.
i want to play the clip/lakers over but I think there is something off with the clippers right now.

I like Cleveland tonight. I know that Cleveland starters logged big minutes, but 4.5 points are just too much imho.
I think that Cleveland are the better team and with less pressure on them, unlike in the first game of the season, Cleveland can win it or at least keep it close.
I took it +4.5 anyway...

The starting 5 played 188.8 Minutes that's never a good thing and really not good when playing a back to back and against a quality opponent. But I also agree +4/4.5 is a bit to much to give. This number may come back somewhat.

Sixers game over.
i want to play the clip/lakers over but I think there is something off with the clippers right now.

I agree, something isn't right. It's all Paul and Griffin. Redick,Barnes look terrible and last night they shot way to many 3's. I'm sure things will turn right for them it's only 1 game although they didn't look good in pre season also but with Paul and Griffin they should never take 30 3's in a game. Redick 1-7 Crawford 2-8 Barnes 0-3 Tough this early in the year No data.

Went to sleep last night right after Westbrook got injured. I figured LAC would roll in the 2H if Westbrook was done. I woke up this morning to see LAC barely won.

Sick feeling

Back to backs mean nada this early in the season.

Disagree with that. When do you feel it means something? Logging minutes like that (anything over 160 for the starting 5 is never good when playing the next day) then playing a team sitting home like Chicago always means something. Doesn't mean they'll lose but to say IMO it means nothing is wrong.

I think any team playing at home and laying less than 10 to Philly might be an auto-bet until the books adjust. Even this mediocre Bucks squad is worth a bet tonight.

Excellent Pacer poster from Covers Allangrbs with a season thread. Brief write-up from what I noticed the other night. Figured I do the write-up after realizing that not many people probably tuned in to the 76ers-depleted Pacers game. 1. Roy Hibbert looked really good against an inferior opponent, and he will continue to do this. There just aren't very many good defenders who can match his height and size, so he's going to be really good against teams like this. We will have to see how he will do against good defensive teams, but I think we can expect him to be a matchup problem for lots of teams this year. 2. Very impressed with how Stuckey looked. Obviously the 76ers aren't a good defensive team, but I really liked how he was aggressive, and really seemed to be a leader when he was on the court. He made some nice shots, but was pretty efficient with it. 3. The Pacers hit their open shots. This sounds easy, but there are lots of guys that miss open shots, and it comes back to haunt teams. Copeland, Watson, and Stuckey all were good from the perimeter when they were supposed to be, and that's how these guys will develop. Start by hitting the open shots, and progress into hitting the more difficult shots. 4. I think I was most impressed by the flow on offense. For having the amount of injuries they do, I really liked the passing and spacing. It seemed like they were in a groove, and it got sloppy a couple of times, but for the most part they did really good. 5. Defense was as good as it could be. Losing West and PG, and Lance is going to be tough to overcome, but being realistic, the guys that played did as good as they could've. They are really going to struggle against good offensive teams, but I liked the hustle and passion. Glad to see Vogel still preaches the defense. Couple of NBA notes: Scott Brooks has to be the worse "out of timeout" coach in the league. It's become a joke to watch his set plays...and I use the term "set plays" loosely. Watch coaches like Doc, and Pop, and even Spoelstra (very underrated "out of timeout" coach)...and then look at what Scott Brooks drew up last night...TWICE!!! He got a contested, awkward pick and roll where they didn't pick, and barely rolled, and threw it off a defenders foot. They they get a floating, off balance layup into two defenders that goes off the side of the backboard. I really hate watching it because I'm a big Westbrook fan, but I think Brooks may have wasted some Championship opportunity years in OKC. The Bulls could be a buzzsaw in the East. I know it's only one game, but they have a real chance to jump out to a big lead the next couple months to where Cleveland can't catch up as they will need a few months to get their rotation and style in a groove. For all the bettors out there, I'd keep a real close eye on Detroit over the next month. Van Gundy is a really good coach, and if Detroit looks really bad over the next 4 weeks they are going to be a great team to get behind as I can see them covering games once Van Gundy gets his style in this team. They have some pieces, and I think he will get this team to play smart and tough as the year goes on. Could be great value. Back to the Pacers game tonight... I look at the game tonight against the Grizzlies, and I think it's a mismatch in the paint. If there is one team to really take advantage of David West being out it's Memphis. Hibbert will be on Gasol, and if you are looking for Randolph tonight just look under the rim. He'll be there after muscling guys out of his way for a layup. I also look at what Memphis did the other night against Minnesota, and I wasn't too impressed with their defense. That's a team they should've shut down, but they gave up over 100 points...lots of them on jump shots. I think Memphis does what they want on the offensive end, but I think the Pacers do enough on the offensive end to put up some points. Not a huge play, but I am going to put a little bit on the over at 185. This was a good day of week at home for the Pacers last year

Last edited:
Disagree with that. When do you feel it means something? Logging minutes like that (anything over 160 for the starting 5 is never good when playing the next day) then playing a team sitting home like Chicago always means something. Doesn't mean they'll lose but to say IMO it means nothing is wrong.

Meaning players are fresher at the start of the season, will have to pull up the numbers but fading teams off heavy minutes the next night isn't really effective until after 2 or 3 months of play.

good start to nba season for me

tues 2-0....+2x
wed 3-1....+3.45
thurs........no plays

will try to keep a record but i am never able to stick with it....too busy a life....i admire the guys that can

Really like spurs over and bulls...can't see cleve getting their stuff together for a few games and bulls looked really good the other night

spurs over 208.5....1x
bulls -3.5..............1x

bull

I took it +4.5 anyway...

i would like to know why?

B Lang has a free pick on Bucks -9. I'm not sure how his free picks have been doing, but I'm not liking it either way for my Bucks wager.

Series Records
-- Pacers won three of last four games with Memphis.
-- Bulls won 13 of last 15 games with Cleveland.
-- 76ers lost five of last seven games with Milwaukee, includiong last four visits to Milwaukee, by 8-2-10-20 points. .
-- Suns lost 12 of last 15 games with San Antonio.
-- Kings lost four of last five games with Portland.
-- Clippers won seven of last eight games with the Lakers.

Totals
-- Eight of last ten Memphis-Indiana games stayed under.
-- Three of last four Cleveland-Chicago games stayed under.
-- Five of last seven Philly-Milwaukee games went over.
-- Over is 9-3 in Spurs' last dozen visits to Phoenix.
-- Under is 6-3 in Portland's last nine visits to Sacramento.
-- 12 of last 13 Laker-Clipper games went over the total.

http://armadillosports.com/cbasketball.html

Cleveland is the better team. Love and Lebron are Freaks. No freaks on the Bulls team. Bulls win meant little as Knicks were waiting for Cleveland and Lebron followed the Script of losing home start of Season with Cleveland. Took 4 Also played Pacers over. Regarding the Suns the Suns curse has been a problem. Killersports says DAY: T he Pacers are 7-0 OU (16.57 ppg) since Mar 30, 2011 at home after Roy Hibbert shot better than 66% from the field at home last game. SDQL TEXT: H and 66.66<100. * Pacers:Roy Hibbert:p:field goals made / Pacers:Roy Hibbert:p:field goals attempted and p:H and date>=20110330 NBA BIBLE ACTIVE TREND : P HO006: The Suns are 0-13 ATS (-7.77 ppg) after a double digit win in which they outshot their opponent by at least 10 percent. SDQL TEXT: team=Suns and p:margin >= 10 and p:FGP - po Now this is a new team but until they break this trend I have to think about this carefully

Last edited:
B Lang has a free pick on Bucks -9. I'm not sure how his free picks have been doing, but I'm not liking it either way for my Bucks wager.

its a free play so not to bad... about to make a few plays on that game...and a bad line,, i got 8..

Interesting trend by Killer....I fail to see how Hibbert shooting 66% in a game influences the total in the next game....gl to anyone who plays....those two teams are as capable of an under as anyone....they defend and they can't shoot

Portland look too easy? Trap? Sac was bad the other night

Cleve may very well be the better team....can't argue that...but are they the better team tonight? Cleve put the defensive clamps on Melo and the boys the other night in the 4th quarter and couldn't pull it off...when the king and Kevin get used to each other and their teamates they are going to be formidable,but it takes time...may add a bulls ml parlay

The Clips apparent dysfunction the other night ( i did not watch) has me leaning lal but not sure I can bet them

i would like to know why?

I think that Cleveland are much better for many reasons. First of all, Love, Bron and Irving are better than Rose, Gasol and Noah, especially given Rose current form.
I also think that Cleveland has amazing supporting players. Marion, Miller, Waiters, Thompson, Varejao and so on...
Thibs is a great coach, but Blatt is just as good. Obviously he needs some adjustments, but after watching him coach for the last decade or so... Blatt is as great as they come.
Chicago has great defense, Cleveland has great offense.
Bottom line, I would say that Cleveland has the best two players on court today, Bron and Irving (Irving keeps developing - MVP in Allstar game, MVP of World Championship and great game last night). Rose and Gasol are pretty mediocre at the moment and not in the same level as the first four (Bron, Irving Love/ Noah).
What makes Chicago great?

Derrick Rose is "pretty mediocre"? C'mon divol... And until Kyrie actually decides to play some efficient defense every once in a while, no way can you even put him anywhere near the same class as Rose.

Final card:

Bucks -8.5 (1u)
Kings +5 (1u)
Suns +1 (1u)

All bets are basically unwatchable ... Will be drunk all night so irrelevant

Cavs have more talent top to bottom. Tough to argue LBJ/Love being best two guys on the floor and Cavs have depth also. If Cavs had won yesterday this line would be much different. Overreaction IMO.

Divol, I thought we might have had a nice discussion but once you said blatt is just as good as tibs you lost me... There are many more comparisons you wrote that are just silly but to say a guy who has never been a head coach in the nba is just as good as tibs .. Come on... When you are ready to discuss for real let me know..,Irving MVP if the all star game???? That's the game where combined they score 300 points and don't play any defense.. Correct??? Yup he is better than rose.... Both ends of the floor ?

I don't know how to tell you that, but there is basketball outside of the NBA. Blatt isn't Fisher or Kidd or Kerr... He is a coach of 20 years experience...
When Tibs wins 16 championship and takes titles in 4 different countries, wins European Championship with Russia, wins Euroleague with Maccabi, having half the budget of the teams she beat on the way to the title, wins Bronze medal in Olympics with Russia - then Thibs can claim he maybe in the same level as Blatt...

Not sure what is going on with Milwaukee. If I was a Bucks fan though I'd be wondering WTF Jason Kidd is doing. They have been on about a 5 minute drought and Jabari is just sitting on bench

I don't know how to tell you that, but there is basketball outside of the NBA. Blatt isn't Fisher or Kidd or Kerr... He is a coach of 20 years experience...
When Tibs wins 16 championship and takes titles in 4 different countries, wins European Championship with Russia, wins Euroleague with Maccabi, having half the budget of the teams she beat on the way to the title, wins Bronze medal in Olympics with Russia - then Thibs can claim he maybe in the same level as Blatt...

I know it does and I know it doesn't always translate yo wins here in the us..

Gibson really needs to learn, how not to allow "and 1" in the crucial moments of the game. Twice already...

The curse was operating. Bledsoe 2-14. Dragic 4-10. They both had terrible games. But the new kids stepped in and won it any way. 42 to go for the team wins. Somehow I think it makes it.

Back