Free Agency etc 2023

B.A.R.

CTG Partner
Staff member
DC officially released by the Raiders.

Only a few weeks away from March 15th.

Let's get this party started.

Some key dates leading up to the draft...

These are the NFL's key dates ahead:

• Feb. 21: First day to designate franchise and transition tags (Franchise numbers)
  • Feb. 28-March 6: Scouting combine (Indianapolis)
  • March 7: Franchise/transition tag deadline
  • March 7: College pro days begin
  • March 13-15: Negotiating period for pending unrestricted free agents
  • March 15 (4 p.m. ET): Free agent deals can be signed, trades can be officially consummated, June 1 cuts can be designated and the deadline for qualifying offers to restricted free agents
  • March 26-29: Annual league meeting (Phoenix)
  • April 3: Teams with new head coaches can begin offseason conditioning programs
  • April 17: Remainder of teams can begin offseason conditioning programs
  • April 21: Deadline for restricted free agents to sign offer sheets
  • April 27-29: NFL draft in Kansas City, Missouri

Last edited:
Doubt they do it but it's by far the smart move

I don’t disagree but think they a year early unfortunately. There no way I wanna draft that little fellow from bama to play in Chicago. I’d absolutely do it if they were choosing between Williams or maye, I have no doubt Williams a instant franchise changer, I don’t think any these guys this year are. Don’t think bears have the ability to build a good team around any of these kids so think I’d stick with Fields who way more athletic and fun to watch. Not saying Young won’t succeed in nfl, just don’t think he would in Chicago.

Maybe if bears could get a deal with another bad team to send them fields and get another 1st rounder next year, they could trade fields and trade the 1st pick. Give themselves 3 1st rounders next year and ensure they awful again this season!! That would be the move for me, ship out every asset I can that gets me high value draft capital for next years draft. Kinda sucks for fan base but punting until next season with 2 franchise changing talents is the move for me, I doubt they do that since jobs always on the clock, maybe they could work it out with owner that the plan so they need to be reassured of a extra year! Can always start building the los on both sides and weapons with their and the extra picks they should get in middle rounds if they demanding next years 1st from teams, plus the picks they got from ravens.

Damn, that a genius plan! I should be a gm! Lol . Of course if I was their gm we wouldn’t be in this kind of crappy spot to begin with! Lmao

Happy to hear NFL is gonna kill the short yardage play where everyone pushes the qb forward, really don’t like that play. Congrats to the teams who came up with it and used it to their advantage but so glad it gone as it made getting a yard on 3rd and 4th basically impossible to stop.

Happy to hear NFL is gonna kill the short yardage play where everyone pushes the qb forward, really don’t like that play. Congrats to the teams who came up with it and used it to their advantage but so glad it gone as it made getting a yard on 3rd and 4th basically impossible to stop.

That play is almost unstoppable unless Josh Allen is running it...Dude fumbled in his own end zone vs the Vikings , last year he "slipped " on a crucial 4th and inches very late at the Titans ...

The play should be fased out, the shady refs are supposed to whistle forward progress , but often they instead continue the play in the hopes of a first first/TD

That play is almost unstoppable unless Josh Allen is running it...Dude fumbled in his own end zone vs the Vikings , last year he "slipped " on a crucial 4th and inches very late at the Titans ...

The play should be fased out, the shady refs are supposed to whistle forward progress , but often they instead continue the play in the hopes of a first first/TD
Pretty sure the Fridge got flagged for picking up and lifting Payton over the goal line, not sure if that was SB or regular season but was the first time I even knew that was a rule.

Guys like hurts should have a 80% surssee rate doing on his own, . No sense rewarding the qbs who suck at doing kt themselves, and yea allen has butchered several which makes no sense (remember the one he did vs titans to cost them the game?).

Last edited:
I wonder how Carr feels bout jets being like “we like you and we would sign you, but you see we kinda hoping packers trade us rodgers! You mind waiting and seeing what happens w that first?”. That can’t be a great feeling but at same time is there a better team to play for that looking? I think if I was him I’d swallow my pride and wait to see what happens, he should still have options, there no doubt he one the 20 best qbs.

I’m not sure Jets doing the right thing? On one hand I’m not sure Carr taking anyone to the promise land. On the other at least I can trust he will work out with my young players and give us a chance, I’d think they can make the playoffs for next several years w him at qb. Not sure it a great idea to be so infatuated with Rodgers, you gonna have to give shit up to get him, you probably not gonna get the same kind of dedication, I think it kinda 50/50 whether he catapults your team to greatness or torpedoes it? It’s only a 1 or 2 year window. Tough decision. I’m assuming jets fans want Rodgers?

Any chance you think you can get one piece to win a super bowl, you should do that. Carr is a better medium term prospect but if you could get Rodgers, the Jets instantly become a SB threat and I don't think they are with Carr. Even people saying they are a likely playoff team, I find questionable. I would put that at 50/50 at best.

Any chance you think you can get one piece to win a super bowl, you should do that. Carr is a better medium term prospect but if you could get Rodgers, the Jets instantly become a SB threat and I don't think they are with Carr. Even people saying they are a likely playoff team, I find questionable. I would put that at 50/50 at best.

I hear what you saying, I just have big doubts that Rodgers makes them a legit contender in the afc. Maybe he does, maybe he poisons them? At least Carr you know what you getting far as he will show up and work every day, you at least not taking the chance of wrecking your team, probably not winning the SB but think you at least in contention to get a playoff spot every year for the next 3-4 years. Maybe Rodgers does give them a better chance the next 2 years? I think I’d need assurances by him he actually gonna come in and do work with the WRs. It would scare me to give up a bunch of draft capital and 50mil a year for someone that wishy washy on the down side of his career.

The only time I ever recall a team thinking they needed just one piece and working was Brady w bucs. Rodgers ain’t Brady,

And while Brady was mostly that one piece the Bucs did make lot of moves he requested to get the job done.

Saints south future
team can win the super bowl. talent on that team is sick....oline top 5 group in league ?, receivers top 5 receiver group in league?, qb is huge upgrade, top 10 qb in league.....defense is nice

When they healthy, find me more talent

team can win the super bowl. talent on that team is sick....oline top 5 group in league ?, receivers top 5 receiver group in league?, qb is huge upgrade, top 10 qb in league.....defense is nice

When they healthy, find me more talent

defense was great, too 5 WRs group is a stretch. Who knows how much Kamara will contribute this year.

Biggest problem is and will be play calling on offense.

defense was great, too 5 WRs group is a stretch. Who knows how much Kamara will contribute this year.

Biggest problem is and will be play calling on offense.
Yes coaching is a problem don't believe in Allen

Thomas olave and landry.....whose better imo philly miami has a great top 2 and cincy has 3 good ones but the after chase I think saints have a better top 3. Imo

They never healthy. If this team healthy lookout. Imo. Haven't been healthy for 2 years I think they do

Yes coaching is a problem don't believe in Allen

Thomas olave and landry.....whose better imo philly miami has a great top 2 and cincy has 3 good ones but the after chase I think saints have a better top 3. Imo

They never healthy. If this team healthy lookout. Imo. Haven't been healthy for 2 years I think they do
Thomas has 56 receptions since 2019

Hes not in a big 3

Landry has 77 receptions the last 2 seasons

Hes not in a big 3

49ers
Raiders
Bengals
Vikings
Chargers
Eagles
Bills

Would be top 7 right now off top of my head

Id guess saints are in 10-15 range when you factor in they have a high ceiling, but that floor is real low when 2 Landry and Thomas could miss half the season and no one would blink an eye

Thomas has 56 receptions since 2019

Hes not in a big 3

Landry has 77 receptions the last 2 seasons

Hes not in a big 3

Can't discount Olave though. He had 72 receptions last year.

That's 3 pretty good WRs IF they stay healthy. Some of that sitting out to "injury" sure as well may have been not wanting to really get hurt playing for a bad team and having a nice, easy way to do so with the actual injury that did happen.

49ers
Raiders
Bengals
Vikings
Chargers
Eagles
Bills

Would be top 7 right now off top of my head

Id guess saints are in 10-15 range when you factor in they have a high ceiling, but that floor is real low when 2 Landry and Thomas could miss half the season and no one would blink an eye

I disagree with Bills for sure. It's Diggs and then........Davis, and then not much behind it. Saints easily a better WR group, as a whole, than the Bills. That's a main reason they haven't gotten over the hump yet...they don't even have a #2, let alone a full group.

I disagree with Bills for sure. It's Diggs and then........Davis, and then not much behind it. Saints easily a better WR group, as a whole, than the Bills. That's a main reason they haven't gotten over the hump yet...they don't even have a #2, let alone a full group.
I mean skill groups moreso tha just receivers

Think you need to include everyone because so many tight ends are defacto receivers now anyway, same with guys like McCaffrey in san Fran

You'd know more Bill's than me though, I thought mckenzie and Knox both had more catches than what they did

I do think Diggs, Adams, Tyreek, and jefferson are such difference makers they put their teams in top 10 just by how they affect a game, half the field basically demands a double team, makes everyone else's lives easier

Is there any talk of Bills trading or targeting an upgrade at receiver or te/rb?

Running game didnt get talked about a lot last year, but it seems like Allen papered over some cracks there to make it look like a strength when its not outside him

Also seems like with his red zone issues late in year, he could use a big body he can trust

Diggs is great, but the smaller guys do struggle a bit once your inside the 20 since over the top threat is limited

I do like Olave a lot though, and your idea on what Thomas has been doing last few years makes a lot of sense. If hes healthy and rested, their ceiling is super high

Carr is gonna put up numbers for sure next year

hes gonna get back the ability to make changes at LOS, which Mcdanials mostly took away, I cant see him signing if he didnt get it. If thomas and Landry are healthy in pre season, I'll be stalking not only saints futures but Carr mvp too. Hes a very easy guy to root for and hes gonna have a real narrative which is super important when trying to win mvp if you're not mahomes

It’s early to say now on Saints WR, but Olave looked really really good most of the year save a dropsie game here or there. A healthy Thomas would be great.
The upside with Rashid Shaheed and Johnson emerging at TE is most interesting to me

Kamara's attorney is gonna have to pull some strings to even let him see the field this season, not sure how he avoids jail with the video tape. Obviously he'll get the shield suspension, the trial is set during training camp. Think they have to prepare for the season without him completely. Fortunate to be in a shitty division...I do like the Panthers in general but w/o a QB that's shown anything they likely will battle TB and ATL for the best draft pick.

Is there any talk of Bills trading or targeting an upgrade at receiver or te/rb?

Running game didnt get talked about a lot last year, but it seems like Allen papered over some cracks there to make it look like a strength when its not outside him

Also seems like with his red zone issues late in year, he could use a big body he can trust

Diggs is great, but the smaller guys do struggle a bit once your inside the 20 since over the top threat is limited

Yes, this is all anyone around here talks about as far as Bills needs go. RB isn't much of a need, as they're really just plug and play guys these days...but there are some thinking the Bills will target Bijan with their 1st round pick, which would just be such a Bills thing to do. Waste a 1st round pick at a position that's a dime a dozen and there is no sense taking one that high.

Is there some narrative floating around that Lamar Jackson is being “lobbied” against?!

It’s business. Jesus.

Is there some narrative floating around that Lamar Jackson is being “lobbied” against?!

It’s business. Jesus.
He doesnt have an agent

Teams and agents dont like that, also teams hate the browns for doing fully guaranteed for deshaun and dont want to continue that precedent which lamar wants

Number 1 overall just went for two 1s, two 2s, and a low level wr1/elite wr2

Lamar could be has for two 1s, I'm not even a huge fan but I'd pay that

Kinda shocked bears dipped all the way down

Anderson seems like such a step above rest of draft I thought they'd not wanna go past 3 or 4

Anderson seems like such a step above rest of draft I thought they'd not wanna go past 3 or 4
Gotta project that the first rounder next year could still be in the top 10. They got insane value with that trade

#Bears trading No. 1 overall pick to Carolina for:

✅pick No. 9
✅pick No. 61
✅a first-round pick in 2024
✅a second-round pick in 2025
✅WR DJ Moore
Posted in Draft thread, maybe more relevant here.

Believe it or not, been telling my friends for over a month I wanted the Bears to trade with the Panthers for the 9 and DJ Moore as a best case scenario. Mooney and Claypool will be FA and are not good so getting a real WR was a priority. At 9, Wilson or Witherspoon could be there because of 4 QBs going in top 8. Great spot to be in right now for BPA.

Monday will be interesting to see if can get Orlando Brown Jr. for a ransom. If not, expect them to go LT at 9.

Witherspoon, Wilson, or LT (if can't sign Brown Jr.). Getting Moore a young, very good WR, under contract + whomever they get at 9 is better than Anderson or Carter at 4 for this team where they are at talent wise.

Witherspoon, Wilson, or LT (if can't sign Brown Jr.). Getting Moore a young, very good WR, under contract + whomever they get at 9 is better than Anderson or Carter at 4 for this team where they are at talent wise.
Ya I don't dislike it, I imagine that's what got moore thrown in too as well

So its worth it, just think anderson especially if he pops, having a top 10 edge guy on a rookie deal almost as important as a qb on one

Back